Good Books?

A Short History on Nearly Everything

Starts from the earliest point of fathomable existence and summarizes all the neat achievements God unlocked.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
wait theres more to the series? AWESOME ill try to get enders shadow at borders sometime. Also theres a really good book series called Penndragon its a long series (10 books) but its a great story with colorful characters
If you really liked enders game I'd suggest you read the shadow series first, it feels more like sequels to enders game then the actual sequels. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy speaker for the dead, xenocide, and children of the mind, I just think of them as more like another series not related to the enderverse at all.

Under the Dome by Stephen King. It's his newest one, and yeah, the premise is pretty much like the Simpsons Movie, but holy cow is the book good. I couldn't put it down, ended up finishing it in ten hours. Then again, I'm a rabid King fan.

Agreeing with House of the Scorpion. One of the few books that have made me cry.

The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan is really engrossing for true science vs. quack science nerds like myself.

I've been meaning to get back into reading. I have a list of writers I would like to read, but can anyone recommend what books to read by these people: Bertrand Russell, Schopenhauer, Franz Kafka. Thank you.

bertrand russell is famous both as a philosopher of logic and a social critic

if you're interested in his stuff on logic and mathematics, then read principia mathematica, which he wrote with alfred north whitehead. but you really have to know a lot about maths and symbolic logic going in - it's an attempt to create a system of logical axioms, from which all mathematical truths can be derived without paradox

as a social critic, he is very interesting and was hugely influential, and this is where i'm more familiar with him (PM is beyond me). he has a little collection called unpopular essays which will give you a good sense of his personality and thought

on education has been pretty influential, you might want to read that

lastly his history of western philosophy is fun and gives you a great grounding in the subject, though he is wrong about a few things (plato and kant; misunderstanding plato at least can be put down to his reading a bad translation)

with kafka, you want to pick up the metamorphosis before anything else. it is his best work. the castle and the trial are probably next on your list, and if you can find a collection of his short fiction it's well worth picking up. my favourites (aside from the metamorphosis) are a hunger artist and the penal colony

bertrand russell is famous both as a philosopher of logic and a social critic

if you're interested in his stuff on logic and mathematics, then read principia mathematica, which he wrote with alfred north whitehead. but you really have to know a lot about maths and symbolic logic going in - it's an attempt to create a system of logical axioms, from which all mathematical truths can be derived without paradox
Is that not impossible, due to Godel incompleteness?

with kafka, you want to pick up the metamorphosis before anything else. it is his best work. the castle and the trial are probably next on your list, and if you can find a collection of his short fiction it's well worth picking up. my favourites (aside from the metamorphosis) are a hunger artist and the penal colony
I preferred The Castle to the Metamorphosis, myself.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I have to say kafka is probably the most unbearable author I have ever read..

Basically I read his books and are left wondering "why are you being such a jerk to these fictional characters? What have they ever done to you?"

Have a nice day.

A Short History on Nearly Everything

Starts from the earliest point of fathomable existence and summarizes all the neat achievements God unlocked.
Some mistakes should be noted, though... in one part he says ambergris is derived from the giant squid, such poppycock. He also has a tendency to exaggerate numerical values: "ten-thousand trillion cells" are not in the human body, only about fifty trillion-- although it may just be hyperbole, considering his writing style.

The Drizzt series by R.A. Salvatore, I'm midway through it right now and would definitely recommend i for anyone who enjoys fantasy. The first book is called the crystal shard

The Drizzt series by R.A. Salvatore, I'm midway through it right now and would definitely recommend i for anyone who enjoys fantasy. The first book is called the crystal shard
Was that really the first one? He's had a lot of books about Drizzt, and I didn't think that one came along until midway, but I may be wrong.

EDIT: I was wrong, I was thinking of the later book when Jarlaxle gets the Shard, and Artemis goes and steals the sword.

I personally prefer the War of the Spider Queen series, myself. I tend to dislike the books that write drow against their nature; it's more interesting when they're backstabbing and conniving.

the crystal shard wasn't chronologically first, but it was the first one written and is meant to be read first

I'm reading the first book of "Book of the New Sun", and it's quite interesting. It's a fantasy told from a subjective point of view, but it's set in the far distant future of Earth (or Urth, as the characters call it), so when they talk about ancient relics, they are talking about things from our time and you have to think a bit about what they mean.

For instance, the main character describes a picture he finds of an armoured warrior, with a visor of gold with no eye slits or features, holding no weapons but a staff with a rigid banner, in a desert.

It's a nice change, I haven't read fantasy in a while, but it's still got the cerebral aspects of science fiction.

I'm reading the first book of "Book of the New Sun", and it's quite interesting. It's a fantasy told from a subjective point of view, but it's set in the far distant future of Earth (or Urth, as the characters call it), so when they talk about ancient relics, they are talking about things from our time and you have to think a bit about what they mean.

For instance, the main character describes a picture he finds of an armoured warrior, with a visor of gold with no eye slits or features, holding no weapons but a staff with a rigid banner, in a desert.

It's a nice change, I haven't read fantasy in a while, but it's still got the cerebral aspects of science fiction.
a lot of books do that. ;)

The Hover Car Racer trilogy was epic (I still need to read the last one).
And I hear Spud is an amazingly funny read.

I enjoyed the first few Artemis Fowl, then they got a bit dodgy, and now they seem to be good again.

I thought it retarded that the centaur language 'code' was supposed to be indecipherable, and yet it was the easiest code to crack. I still haven't cracked the code from The Eternity Code, though.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
i just finished animal farm, and it was a good read. I have a ton ton TON of books on my list to read, including one which i wrote down but cant remember the title. Another book I recently read that was really fantastic is 'Then We Came To The End' by joshua ferris. I really really reccommend it to anybody who wants a good read they can laugh at, but still have that emotional appeal

EDIT: the book i was talking about was 'A Long Way Gone'. It's supposed to be a really emotional read, about a child soldier in sierra leone who was separated from his family and forcedto be a child soldier. going to the bookstore soon, hopefully! Also I am starting 1984 tomorrow, and I have heard only good things. Looking forwad to read house of scorpions as well.

beeeep: I finished Fight Club, and frankly i am underwhelmed. It was a good book, but not my favorite, nor something i would want to read more that twice.

The books from Dan Brown are also great if it wasn't already mentioned

And a question,anyone know if the Percy Jackson books are worth it?
Because of the movie I found out that you got books as well

i'm new, so now I feel compelled to share, I guess-
I'll recommend Freakonomics (along with its sequel), The Bourne Identity, Great Expectations (in retrospect), his dark materials...ya. I've heard of some book called "The Man Who Was Thursday," involves "anarchy," sounds pretty good from what I've heard, gotta find it. Somebody said they were about to read 1984? Heh... it's good, just not exactly...heartwarming...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)