Good Books?

If you want to shit your pants in fear then I recomend reading House of Leaves at night with a flashlight...makes the story that much better
yes.

and as i said earlier:
to get the full experience you need to READ EVERY WORD YOU POSSIBLY CAN. that doesn't make sense right now, but it will hen you start reading it. it also helps if you're alone in a dim room with something like this playing in the background.

Chill Murray

get well soon jacoby..
I remember reading House of Leaves for the first time, getting about 9 chapters into it in one sitting, and then debating whether I should continue reading it. I wanted to continue since it was such an engrossing story, but I also wanted to stop because I was becoming affected by it, and I was afraid of what would happen if I continued. I've read the book a good four or five times, and I still delight in finding new things and meanings every time I read it.

I was given John Dies at the End and ended up reading it in one sitting. It's possibly the most deranged book I've ever read and I enjoyed it immensely. See my signature and location.

I remember reading House of Leaves for the first time, getting about 9 chapters into it in one sitting, and then debating whether I should continue reading it. I wanted to continue since it was such an engrossing story, but I also wanted to stop because I was becoming affected by it, and I was afraid of what would happen if I continued. I've read the book a good four or five times, and I still delight in finding new things and meanings every time I read it.
yeah, i totally understand that.

but you really should read it...o.^

while listening to the album i made based on and inspired by it. xD

I find that the God Delusion isn't particularly enlightening in itself, but it is a convenient collection of all the atheist arguments for the nonexistence of God. Sans the Babel Fish argument, of course.

The Prince &
The Art of War - Niccoló Machiavelli

The Divine Comedy - Dante Alighieri

Shooter &
Scorpions &
Fallen Angels - Walter Dean Myers

Truesight &
Otherspace &
The Seer - David Stahler Jr.

If you haven't read To kill a Mockingbird yet you should go out and buy it now. Any Sinclair Lewis book would be a safe bet. Finally, Cather in the Rye is another must read

Catcher in the Rye is overrated, IMO, especially by teenage English students :P. I think "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" is a much better story to make the same point, personally.

@Master Ball: The Art of War was a treatise by Sun Tzu, not Niccolo Machiavelli.

I just read Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer. I would 100% recommend it if you've ever been remotely curious about exactly just how fucked up the meat industry is (answer: very.) It's also very well written, and doesn't bash you over the head with "you should be a vegetarian you are a bad person." It presented a lot of arguments that I had never thought of before (why don't we eat dogs when pigs are just as smart/feeling? You can feed 2x as many people with the grain it takes to feed a cow as you can with an actual cow, etc).

Basically, I thought it was a great read, just be prepared to confront all of the philosophical inconsistencies you almost invariably have with regards to your eating preferences :p

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Aldous Huxley's Brave New World is good, as is George Orwell's 1984.
I was quite disappointed in bnw to be honest. We had to read it for english and I finished the book in about 24 hours. Took me about two months to discover I didn't like it. Luckily it gave me countless english classes to read handmaids tale, and 1984. Both of which I enjoyed markedly more than bnw. Also just finished oryx and crake a little while ago. I liked it but the ending kind of disappointed me. Same with handmaids tale as a matter of fact. Goddam Atwood and her cliff hanger endings. A friend said there was a sequel in the works, along side a movie, anybody heard anything about this? (I'd be pretty surprised about the movie though, how would they introduce oryx?)

I liked BNW, but we were studying it together with Blade Runner, so it might have made it better than studying it otherwise.

I also really liked Eragon by Christopher Paolini. That book was really good but for the life of you never watch the movie. The second book in the series was okay but went downhill near the middle and I had to push myself to finish it. I haven't bothered to read the third book at all even though it's sitting on my bookshelf so I can't comment on that one.
Read the third I think it may be necessary for the fourth one. It all starts to come together and the final half was rather thrilling mainly because for once suspense is actually built. Maybe it helped that it was the middle of the night and I was listening to music.
It is somewhat hard to explain what is good about it without ruining the plot but basically everything is set for a fourth book which kis all action unless Paolini decides to be a dick.

Recommend some relatively unknown books that you think deserve much more credit than they have.
By "relatively unknown" I mean books that might not have movies or a dedicated fanbase (i.e. Twilight series, Harry Potter series, The Da Vinci Code and Angels&Demons). There are PLENTY of good books out there. I'll name a few:
Gamer Girl
The Center of the World
Spanking Shakespeare

Authors do not have to be included. If you see a book listed that you (dis)liked, discuss why or why not.
Fight club
Forest gump
Both books make the movies seem like childs play.

I haven't read Fight Club, but I can't understand how that story would work as a book now that I've seen the movie. So much of it seems to be visual cues and such.

If you're into satirical novels, anything by Kurt Vonnegut. My current favorites are Breakfast of Champions and Slaughterhouse Five.

Well Enders game by Orson Scott Card is a fantastic science fiction novel if you like those kinds of books
Actually that is one of the best books I have ever read. There is so much to it.
Ender's Shadow is also great and I think it is best read after Ender's Game.
Then you can continue with the Shadow series and then read the other series which is set even furthur in the future.
To give you an idea. Ender's Game is more of a bildungsroman and basically sets the other two series up or it can be read on its own. The Shadow series is what would happen in WW3 if nuclear weapons were useless and is essentially a giant game of RISK (that is one of the best board games around) except with a bit of politics thrown. It is a great read for people that love playing strategy games.
The other series focuses on morals and alternate physics theories and is also a brilliant series. All of those books are among my favorite science fiction novel that I have ever read.

Actually that is one of the best books I have ever read. There is so much to it.
Ender's Shadow is also great and I think it is best read after Ender's Game.
Then you can continue with the Shadow series and then read the other series which is set even furthur in the future.
To give you an idea. Ender's Game is more of a bildungsroman and basically sets the other two series up or it can be read on its own. The Shadow series is what would happen in WW3 if nuclear weapons were useless and is essentially a giant game of RISK (that is one of the best board games around) except with a bit of politics thrown. It is a great read for people that love playing strategy games.
The other series focuses on morals and alternate physics theories and is also a brilliant series. All of those books are among my favorite science fiction novel that I have ever read.
wait theres more to the series? AWESOME ill try to get enders shadow at borders sometime. Also theres a really good book series called Penndragon its a long series (10 books) but its a great story with colorful characters

I'm a big fan of Alamut by Bartol(?). Similar to Lord of the Rings but without the bore. Michael Crighton has some good ones: Sphere, Congo, Jurassic Park, Next. However, most of his other stuff is boring. A book I've enjoyed particularly is Rumo and His Miraculous Adventures (really cheesy but a good read). And, of course, there is Edward Bellamy's Looking Backward and what's-his-name's 1984, two strikingly different views on the course of history and where it is leading us (the first is a little boring at times).

But the best book ever is: East of Eden by John Steinbeck. Easily. I had to read the book for class (4 books by any one author in a school year), but the library didn't have it forever. The day of the test, it came in, but of course it was too late. Still, I read the book, starting at 4:00 in the afternoon, when I got home from school. After all, I would have to write an essay on the book the next week. 11 hours later, I finished, skipping food, water, and a shower to finish easily the best book I have ever read. I didn't notice time moving by. It was that good. But then again, I'm kind of a girly man...Still, most stuff by Steinbeck is short and entertaining. Just don't read the Grapes of Wrath. It is one of the most boring, repetitive, and just plain dull books ever considered a classic. Of Mice and Men, Cannery Row, Tortilla Flat, and East of Eden (off the top of my head) are much better books and so much less boring.

I haven't read Fight Club, but I can't understand how that story would work as a book now that I've seen the movie. So much of it seems to be visual cues and such.
the book is not necessarily "better", but i would say the movie is equal to it.

and the ending of the book completely trumps the ending of the movie.

definitely read the book.

wait theres more to the series? AWESOME ill try to get enders shadow at borders sometime. Also theres a really good book series called Penndragon its a long series (10 books) but its a great story with colorful characters
There are 10 books.

- Ender's Game
- Speaker for the Dead
- Xenocide
- Children of the Mind
- Ender in Exile (set between Game and Speaker)

- Ender's Shadow
- Shadow of the Hegemon
- Shadow Puppets
- Shadow of the Giant

- Meetings in the Enderverse (A collection of short stories including the novella for the original Ender's Game; it includes pieces like the first meeting of Jane and Ender, etc.)

Chronologically, the books go:

Game/Shadow, Ender in Exile (can go before or after the Shadow series), Shadow series, Ender series.

I love books :D I need to go to the library this friday to get some you guys recommened.

Here is a book, The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, it's pretty old school but a classic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)