Pokemon VGC 2010 DATES / rules announced for the US!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does anybody think of:

Groudon: Jolly @ Lum Berry
-EQ
-Rock Slide
-Protect
-Shadow Claw/ Dragon Claw

Typhlosion: Timid @ Life Orb/ Focus Sash
-Eruption
-Focus Blast
-Protect
-Solar Beam/ ?

Back up Ludicolo & Giratina/ or Dialga

This is just an idea I had on the top of my head and havent expanded on. Basically the point is to abuse the sun but be prepared to slap a slower kyogre lead or switch in with ludicolo switch or a faster one with solar beam. Eruption is for big damage to on both opponents (obviously) and typhlosion outruns quite a bit in this meta. If feeling gutsy an eruption from Typhlosion and EQ from Groudon will take out TR Dialga before setup, although you'd have to be running focus sash or sacrifice him completely.
I'm gonna try and expand on this, I'm very experienced in OU but utter noob at ubers ><'. I can see Rayquaza being a problem for this team, and maybe Palkia.

CCM30, that team looks extremely stable and from what I've tried out, no team is going to be able to beat it unless they've tailored at least one Pokemon to specifically counter it, and even then you could play yourself out of it. I would say one Pokemon and one other moveslot would be the minimum amount to specifically counter even the Mewtwo/Abomasnow combo in itself, and without that effort there isn't much somebody can do.

Jesus Christ, the Mewtwo Aboma combo isnt THAT good. It can be beaten with good prediction another weather creator etc.

Jesus Christ, the Mewtwo Aboma combo isnt THAT good. It can be beaten with good prediction another weather creator etc.
Yes, but what counters everything else doesn't counter Mewtwo/Obama. That can be countered easily, but in that case it's much harder to counter everything else, and when you're cramming all those checks onto a four Pokemon team in a diverse, hyperoffensive metagame, it isn't so easy.

Good like countering M/A and getting owned by most everything else.

CCM30, that team looks extremely stable and from what I've tried out, no team is going to be able to beat it unless they've tailored at least one Pokemon to specifically counter it, and even then you could play yourself out of it. I would say one Pokemon and one other moveslot would be the minimum amount to specifically counter even the Mewtwo/Abomasnow combo in itself, and without that effort there isn't much somebody can do.
Good to hear. Though I got a suggestion to use Quagsire over Abomasnow...

But I'm thinking I'll just go with Mew2/Obama/Lugia/Weavile. I may just drop the sub idea for Lugia and give Mew2/Obama the lead positions.

Im sorry but i dont know where to ask this question. When you meet steven stone and he tells you bout your lati@s are the ivs decided right there? Or when you first see him.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
Im sorry but i dont know where to ask this question. When you meet steven stone and he tells you bout your lati@s are the ivs decided right there? Or when you first see him.
The RNG thread or Simple Questions/Answers is the best place, but the IVs are set during the conversation (dunno exactly when, but it's during that time-frame)

"Arceus, Celebi, Darkrai, Deoxys, Jirachi, Manaphy, Mew, Phione, and Shaymin cannot participate"

The official rules make these pokes sound like such outcasts. They must feel pretty left out.

drcossack

"Arceus, Celebi, Darkrai, Deoxys, Jirachi, Manaphy, Mew, Phione, and Shaymin cannot participate"

The official rules make these pokes sound like such outcasts. They must feel pretty left out.
rofl. It's only because you can't get them during normal gameplay in HG/SS...though Shaymin (item), Darkrai (item), Deoxys (Gamestop), and Jirachi (most recent Gamestop giveaway, which just ended) should, by the same token be allowed.

At any rate, I still say Darkrai should stay perma-banned from the VGC. Would you REALLY like to run into 498694894859 people at regionals who abuse Dark Void by sticking a Scarf on Darkrai, who'd be the 3rd fastest Pokemon allowed? Your opponent can follow that up by something that learns Transform (Mew, Smeargle, or Ditto), then laugh at you as you lose 25% health from Bad Dreams damage every round.

Well, Scarfvoidsmeargle and Specsspoutkyogre is probably better than random M/A
Not quite. With your Kyogre being faster than my Abomasnow/Groudon, I get my weather up and yours fizzles. Choice Scarf Smeargle is good, but leading with a sweeping Kyogre is a disaster waiting to happen. Also, if Smeargle is hit by Fake-Out it's all over for you, and priority attacks can also rip him up.

I'm not really saying Choice Scarf Smeargle is bad, just Choice Scarf Kyogre because it can be played around and won't rule the VGC like we thought it would when back when. Pairing it up with Smeargle is one of the most high-risk/high-reward strategies possible, but in order to succeed here you need to be as low-risk as possible.

rofl. It's only because you can't get them during normal gameplay in HG/SS...though Shaymin (item), Darkrai (item), Deoxys (Gamestop), and Jirachi (most recent Gamestop giveaway, which just ended) should, by the same token be allowed.

At any rate, I still say Darkrai should stay perma-banned from the VGC. Would you REALLY like to run into 498694894859 people at regionals who abuse Dark Void by sticking a Scarf on Darkrai, who'd be the 3rd fastest Pokemon allowed? Your opponent can follow that up by something that learns Transform (Mew, Smeargle, or Ditto), then laugh at you as you lose 25% health from Bad Dreams damage every round.
Eww.

Plus whoever transformed could also spam Dark Void.

This is a team I came up with today, I believe all the Pokemon cover each other's weaknesses pretty well. The only leads I can see causing big trouble are Ludicolo and Scarf Kyogre, but does anyone use those TOGETHER?

Mewtwo
@ Lum Berry/ Life Orb
252 SPA/ 252 SPE/ 6 HP
-Protect
-Aura Sphere
-Blizzard
-Thunder/ Grass Knot

Weavile
@Focus Sash
Adamant/Jolly (Is Jolly really necessary in Ubers?)
252 ATK/ 252 SDE/ 6 HP
-Fake Out
-Ice Shard
-Brick Break/ Low Kick
-Night Slash
-----
Scizor
@ Lum Berry/ Life Orb
Jolly
252 ATK/ 252 SPE/ 6 HP
-Bug Bite
-Bullet Punch
-Brick Break/ Super Power
-Protect

Giratina
(Help ><)
-Icy Wind
-Dragon Claw
-Shadow Force
-Protect

Early game Weavile can fake out and Mewtwo can score large hits and take advantage of opposing hail should that occur. (fake out their Mewtwo, Aura Sphere Abomasnow) It can also score the OHKO on Kyogre or Groudon.

Scizor brings late game power and priority, while Giratina's Icy Wind makes Scizor the fastest thing in play minus Timid Mewtwo. I'm considering replacing Scizor with Gross for the possibility to Explode with Giratina out, or replace Giratina with... ?.

I haven't seen Taunt on any Mewtwos. Is it safe to say that Mewtwo hugely prefers his widespread OHKO coverage over wasting a turn on Taunting something he could kill anyway?

Seems so. I think Mewtwo's abilities with Taunt just limit the lead as a whole. Plus, I think what Taunt Mewtwo ends up trying to stop can be done by other things, as well.

I mean, hell, a big reason why I'm running a Weavile/Lugia lead is to keep any DV Smeargles from fucking me up. Can't put me to sleep behind a sub, hahaha.

Plus, I personally think Mewtwo just works better as a big coverage Pokemon to have a large range of Pokemon to KO and a large range of moves to KO them with.

drcossack

Ok, question on the full rules:

Move Restrictions:
Pokémon may only use moves (including those learned in an earlier video game) that have been learned through one of the following methods:
* By leveling up
* By TM or HM
* As an Egg move, through breeding
* From a Move Tutor
* Already learned by a Pokémon that was received at an official Pokémon event or promotion
* Already learned by a Pokémon that was received from another Pokémon game (such as the Pikachu that knows Surf from Pokémon Battle Revolution)
* By Smeargle’s “Sketch” move (limited to the above moves learned by Pokémon from 001 to 493)

Would this mean that Smeargle would be able to use Judgment? Granted, he's got a lot of better options, but I'm still curious.

Ok, question on the full rules:

Move Restrictions:
Pokémon may only use moves (including those learned in an earlier video game) that have been learned through one of the following methods:
* By leveling up
* By TM or HM
* As an Egg move, through breeding
* From a Move Tutor
* Already learned by a Pokémon that was received at an official Pokémon event or promotion
* Already learned by a Pokémon that was received from another Pokémon game (such as the Pikachu that knows Surf from Pokémon Battle Revolution)
* By Smeargle’s “Sketch” move (limited to the above moves learned by Pokémon from 001 to 493)

Would this mean that Smeargle would be able to use Judgment? Granted, he's got a lot of better options, but I'm still curious.
Is Judgement learned by any Pokémon from 001 to 493 (inclusive)? Yes, Arceus (493) learns it by leveling up. Thus Smeargle can use the move. At this point in Pokémon history, Smeargle can use any move in the game in VGC (besides Struggle, since it isn't obtained by one of the above methods. Then again, you can't copy it anyways.)

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Does it just say the move failed? You could put a Smeargle to sleep, Switcheroo/Trick it a Focus Sash, have it wake up to Judgment, then switch to your Smeargle and Sketch its Judgment.
I could've sworn back in one of the older research threads that someone found Sketch failed on Judgment. Doesn't seem like the current Smogon page on Sketch reflects this, though.

EDIT: Just tested, it is Sketchable after all.

VGC 2010 Team: Please Help

I received great comments for the team I posted previously in this thread. Perhaps outlining the specifics can help my team more...
(NOTE: These are from the exact Pokemon I plan to use)

Ho-Oh @ Light Clay
--Brave Bird
--Sacred Fire
--Light Screen
--Earthquake
EV Investment: ?
Nature: Careful

Groudon @ Leftovers
--Earthquake
--Dragon Claw
--Bulk Up
--Thunder Wave
Nature: Careful

Zapdos @ ?
--Heat Wave
--Thunder
--Metal Sound
--Extrasensory
Nature: Quiet

Weavile @ Life Orb
--Ice Punch
--Low Kick/Brick Break
--Night Slash
--Protect
EV Investment: 4 HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed
Nature: Jolly

EV investments are perhaps my largest problem. And Zapdos, of course. I am extremely reluctant to altering the natures of Groudon and Ho-Oh because I am more worried about not getting killed by special attacks. Can anyone provide some suggestions? Help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Don't tell Cherrim about that team; she'll cry herself to sleep again.

Earthquake on Ho-Oh seems unfortunate because it's likely to go down before Groudon in many instances. Do extensive research on Kyogre. You need to figure out exactly which Kyogres are going to be leading so you can take them out, and whether or not to make sure if your Groudon outspeeds it or not, because taking it out should be a priority.

Come up with as many combinations and outcomes as you can to find the effectiveness of Groudon and Earthquake. I'm sure it'll help you somehow, since you want to avoid hitting Groudon and to make sure Groudon gets out, but having Groudon out also totally wrecks Zapdos's Thunder accuracy, so now I'm just rambling on about cryptic combinations that are passing right through my aching head...

So, uh, just research that stuff and find the effectiveness of those attacks. Your team has a huge reliance on timing and weather, and unless you can fine-tune your prediction skills, it'll really get messed up, and you need to know exactly what to do against certain opponents because there are a lot of wrong moves you could make.

Or not. I've got a headache right now.

Thank you so much for the response. I'll make sure to do my research on Kyogre (I knew that would be major threat to my team). If you don't mind, may you point me in the direction of particular threads on Kyogre? Again, thank you.

drcossack

Thank you so much for the response. I'll make sure to do my research on Kyogre (I knew that would be major threat to my team). If you don't mind, may you point me in the direction of particular threads on Kyogre? Again, thank you.
Kyogre is destroyed by Abomasnow and Ludicolo. Put one of those as a substitute. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)