Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 23 (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
amulet coin does not get you double BP and the battle factory will get you 5 BP per seven battles, most BP of all 5 facilities.

if grass knot has a base power of 60 or less, does it also get boosted by technician?
5 BP? I'm getting ripped! I'm only getting 3 BP!!

question on the power items such as ankle, belt, bracer, etc. If i were to fight any pokemon, it will still grant me 4 speed EV's when holding power ankle? I do it the old fashion way, battle weedles, pidgeys, rattatas to get 2 speed EV's w/ macho brace. if thats how power item works, my job would be a lot more easier.

Haze undoes all stat changes.
Clear Body prevents non-self-inflicted stat reductions.
So, if my Vaporeon uses Haze against a +2 AgiliGross, will Metagross' Speed be reset or not?

Care2LaxBro - Using various natures and EV spreads

Objection - It will not be reset

iDChuck - I don't quite get what you're asking, but when a Pokémon holding a Power item gains experience from a battle, they get the 4 EVs from that power item, along with the natural EVs from the defeated Pokémon

how do ppl train their pokemon to specific specs? like a bulky garaydos or sword dance scizor?
Read about EV training (see this guide on Smogon). For competitive use, a Pokémon will need to have the correct nature, and be near-perfect, to start with; only after that, can you give it the EVs and moves you want, and have a perfect competitive-battling Pokémon. If you want to know what sort of EVs and nature go well for a particular build of a particular Pokémon, there are huge listings of them in Smogon's strategy pokedex, which will explain which EVs you should use on a given set; and in cases where it isn't obvious (such as max speed, max attack, which is pretty obvious for a physical sweeper), it generally explains the reasoning behind them too.

iDChuck said:
question on the power items such as ankle, belt, bracer, etc. If i were to fight any pokemon, it will still grant me 4 speed EV's when holding power ankle? I do it the old fashion way, battle weedles, pidgeys, rattatas to get 2 speed EV's w/ macho brace. if thats how power item works, my job would be a lot more easier.
Any Pokémon you faint while holding a power anklet gives you 4 speed EVs, and whatever EVs it would have given you normally as well. (So you'd get 4 speed, 1 hp if you fainted a Bidoof, for instance; Pokérus would double this, leading to 8 speed, 2 hp). Yes, this is a lot faster than using the Macho Brace unless you want a really insane EV spread (sometimes, you'll want to take the power item off for the last few KOs to reach an exact number of EVs; you can't get 252 by gaining EVs 5 at a time, for instance).

Why would you need tech and grass knot? The only one who gets it is ambipom.
And Smeargle. I suppose it was just a random question, unless they made a Smeargle with the only attack being Grass Knot and were wondering if it could take out Pokémon weak to it but under 110 pounds

Are the EVs mentioned on Primeape's Hazerider set entirely necessary? Why can't I just use 252 Atk 252 Spe 4 HP?

Are the EVs mentioned on Primeape's Hazerider set entirely necessary? Why can't I just use 252 Atk 252 Spe 4 HP?
As it says in the analysis, you need 40 EVs in HP to be able to make five substitutes (using lefties), which gives a better chance of one of your subs being broken by a crit (which is the whole point of the set). Maxing atk/spe might would work better if you don't use lefties (in which case, make sure your HP isn't divisible by 4!)

As it says in the analysis, you need 40 EVs in HP to be able to make five substitutes (using lefties), which gives a better chance of one of your subs being broken by a crit (which is the whole point of the set). Maxing atk/spe might would work better if you don't use lefties (in which case, make sure your HP isn't divisible by 4!)
I actually didn't see where it said that, thanks though

I was wondering... for Platinum Battle Tower (Open Level, at Lv100), what might be a good EV spread for Scizor (@ Leftovers; Substitute SwordsDance BulletPunch Superpower)? Does it need any Speed EVs?

Additionally, in Platinum Battle Tower (Open Level, at Lv100), does TrickScarf Uxie need any Speed EVs?

How does Mewtwo learn Selfdestruct?

Also, what are the main uses of a Fire move on Mewtwo beyind Scizor? If I use, one, should it be Flamethrower or Fire Blast? Should I use them even if I use Kyogre, to avoid beeing over-dependent on the Rain?

I have a Lugia originally caught in a heavy ball from HGSS, on my plat however it comes up as being caught in a pokeball.
When I trade it over to HGSS will it change back to a heavy ball?
Will it also show the place caught instead of 'Distant Land'?

I have a Lugia originally caught in a heavy ball from HGSS, on my plat however it comes up as being caught in a pokeball.
When I trade it over to HGSS will it change back to a heavy ball?
Will it also show the place caught instead of 'Distant Land'?
Yes. They all revert back to the same way they were when they were on Heart Gold or Soul Silver when they are traded back

Which means I cannot teach it to a Mewtwo captured in HG/SS?
No, you can't; if you're interested in a Mewtwo with Selfdestruct (and you have an AR), you should you use HGSS Pokésav along with a Show EV/IV code to recreate your Mewtwo with Selfdestruct added.

I did that with my prized Wobbuffet after realizing it didn't have Encore (it never was a Wynaut).

Are there any really funny Smogon analyses I haven't seen yet? Notable ones I've read are Spinda, Luvdisc, Farfetch'd, and Unown. (The first and last mentioned being the best.) The Chatot analysis is kind of funny but not intentionally. The Lumineon, Dunsparce, and Seaking sets are kind of in between funny and serious. Oh and the Kakuna analysis is just stupid and written very poorly. Am I missing anything?

Which would be more powerful: a Swords Danced attack or a critical hit? Would they be the same (since SD doubles Atk and critical hits do double damage)? Or is there some factor between figuring the stats and figuring the damage that would affect it? I'm not certain where I could go to find this out.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
If I opt to use a revenge-kiliing Choice Scarf Darkrai, should Dark Void be used for fast sleep, or Focus Blast for opposing Darkrai? Focus Blast isn't very reliable, so...
No, use Focus Blast for Darkrai, Tyranitar, and Dialga. Choice Scarf Dark Void isn't great unless you have Trick along with it.
Should Aeroblast ever be used on Lugia?
Aeroblast should be used on offensive Lugias. See:
[SET]
name: Offensive Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Aeroblast
move 3: Roost
move 4: Earth Power / Thunder / Hidden Power Fighting
item: Life Orb
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Along with http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67876.
Should Infernape even be used in Uber at all? Tthere is an Uber Infernape lead running around, but I doubt it's effective...
As for Infernape, it is useful in Ubers because of its trolly base 108 Speed stat along with useful STABs and Stone Edge.
Should Cresselia be used in Uber either, or Lugia outclasses it?
Cresselia has a few major advantages over Lugia, namely better recovery when in sunlight along with no Flying-typing for Stone Edges. Additionally, Lunar Dance is still very useful in Ubers, as many teams only have one check to Pokemon and Lunar Dance essentially lets you use that Pokemon again.
Should I use Dark Void on revenge-killing Darkrai/Lovely Kiss on revenge-killing Jynx (both with a Choice Scarf)?
See a few quotes above for Darkrai, and Jynx is terrible so don't use her (too many weaknesses).
Do Clamp and Dive have any use as physical Water moves on Cloyser, or the physical sets should stay with a Water move, sadly?
Don't use physical Cloyster, as its physical water movepool sucks. If anything, only use Ice Shard, Avalanche, Payback, and Explosion for physical moves.
Also, how much offensive EV investment do Cloyster and Cresselia need?
Cloyster needs no EV investment as its main goal isn't to kill things but rather to just tank and set up Spikes/Toxic Spikes/Rapid Spin. Cresselia also needs no SpA investment unless it's a Calm Mind set.

What moves are recommended for Life Orb Mewtwo, and how should the ste be used in general?
Selfdestruct, Flamethrower, Aura Sphere, Ice Beam, Thunder, Grass Knot are all recommended moves due to their wide type coverage. Personally, I use a set of Aura Sphere / Ice Beam / Flamethrower / Selfdestruct because Aura Sphere hits stuff like Dialga and Darkrai, Ice Beam hits the Lati twins and Tina-O, Flamethrower hits Scizor, Metagross, and Forretress, while Selfdestruct is for a bang and easily takes out Blissey. The set should generally just try to hit the current target, while if Blissey switches in, should try to Selfdestruct while she's not using Protect.
Would it be correct to say type coverage is by far more important than STAB in Ubers due to the completely lack of balance in type syrangy in Ubers?
No. Depending on the STAB type, it can vary. For example, Palkia and Rayquaza both benefit from being the Dragon-type because it allows them to throw out Spacial Rends and Outrages, while Mewtwo and Latias suffer from their Psychic-type because Psychic has poor coverage in ubers. Latias manages from her Dragon-typing to use STAB Dragon Pulse, but Mewtwo has to rely purely on type coverage.
Also, do the Latis benefit from beeing part-Psychic?
They do benefit by taking less damage from Fighting-type moves such as Close Combat and Superpower, but it's more of a curse due to the weakness to Shadow Ball, Crunch, and Pursuit.
Must lead Azelf carry Taunt?
Also, is there any point in using a Fire move on Mewtwo, despite beeing resisted by the many Uber Dragons?
No, Azelf can carry a moveset of Stealth Rock / Psychic / Fire Blast / Explosion. Fire Blast is mainly to hit Metagross.
See several quotes down for the 2nd question.

Should I use Lum Berry on Deoxys-S leads? Should DDGyara hold Wacan Berry?
You shouldn't use Lum Berry on Deo-S leads because it will generally get OHKOed by an attacking move, which would only allow it to set up 1 layer of entry hazards. Lum Berry would only be used for Darkrai, which is Scarfed just to beat Deo-S. Although you may beat Darkrai, you lose out against so many other leads, meaning that Lum Berry isn't an effective item.

DD Gyarados shouldn't hold Wacan Berry because Life Orb and Leftovers are more viable on Gyarados. In fact, the only thing Wacan Gyarados can survive are ThunderPunch from Jirachi and Thunderbolt from Latias, where you don't even KO Latias back with +1 Stone Edge (Stone Edge grants greater coverage than Ice Fang, which is why Ice Fang isn't used).
How does Mewtwo learn Selfdestruct?
Move tutor in Gale of Darkness. You can only send Pokemon from Gale of Darkness, not to.
Also, what are the main uses of a Fire move on Mewtwo beyind Scizor? If I use, one, should it be Flamethrower or Fire Blast? Should I use them even if I use Kyogre, to avoid beeing over-dependent on the Rain?
Flamethrower/Fire Blast hits Scizor, Forretress, and Metagross in ubers. Generally Flamethrower is more effective because of the greater PP and the 100% accuracy, which can be crucial. The only time you would use Fire Blast is if you want to definitely KO Forretress under the rain, which shouldn't matter because Forretress should be switching into Stealth Rock anyway in order to Spin it away, meaning that Flamethrower will KO. They're still effective even if you're using Kyogre because it still removes what they're meant to remove: Scizor, Forretress, and Metagross.

Once again, if you ask these questions again, I will link back to this post.

Not sure about funny, but the Ditto analysis is a bit frivolous.

Crits ignore defensive boosts. If there are none, I think the way the damage formula works may result in a minor difference between +2 and crit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)