Does height matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being 6'1" pretty much eliminates the "problem" of being shorter than your girlfriend. It's all good.

I don't think it does, barring somebody being much taller/shorter than normal. The only thing I care about height-wise is I wish I would grow one more inch. 6' sounds so much taller than 5'11.

I don't think it does, barring somebody being much taller/shorter than normal. The only thing I care about height-wise is I wish I would grow one more inch. 6' sounds so much taller than 5'11.
I'm in the same boat. I'm 5' 11 1/4"
For me, height does matter. Being tall gives advantages that are helpful, and i guess being short has advantages also. I work in construction where height is a huge advantage. I can reach things that most of my co-workers can't (they're not a very tall group of people). I save the time of getting a ladder and climbing it. However, if I were to be working in the grape fields (like so many Mexicans do here in California) then my height would be a pain in the back literally. Having to bend over all day to reach the vine would mean serious back pain and be very uncomfortable. I used to think that I would not like to have a relationship with someone who was taller than I, but i'm almost 21 and at this point I'll take whatever I can get.

Totally.

Not only in the woman feeling as if her boyfriend lacks masculinity because she dwarfs him, but even in women, I think. I once fooled around with a girl that was about 5'2" and I'm about 5'10". I had to perch down and she had to tippy-toe to get anything real going... it was just obtuse and awkward. Didn't like that at all.

Echo, my girlfriend and I have those exact heights (I'm the taller one) and it's completely fine. I can rest my chin on her head and hold her in my lap, among other things. Heck, my roommate next year is 6'1" and dating a girl that's 4'11" and they make it work.

And if you're truly in love, it won't make a difference how tall you are. You make things work and ignore what others say.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't mind if my gf were 5'11".

I'm only 5'7'' :( But as for potential partners height is so far down the list that it's not important at all.

I'm 5"6' and still growing.My mom usually jokes about my height like,"Keep growing like that,and I'll have to buy a ladder just to hug you!".

I think I'm like my grandpa,he was 6"2' when he went to say hi to God.

I'm tall for my age, I'm 13 and 5'9, and many people in my grade are like, God damn it, how the fuck are you so tall. The girls at my school, are pretty shorter than the guys, even when girls are meant to be taller when they're 13-16 or something. Heck, there are even guys at eighth grade who are 6'3 or 6'1

Anyways, on a more serious note, I'd say height does matter. It's accepted in society that guys are generally taller than girls; it's considered the norm. Of coarse, there's always people out there who don't care one way or another, but I think it has an effect on everyone's sub-conscious mind.
Actually, guys generally being taller than girls is a biological thing - I learned in a science class several years ago that guys tend to be about 1 1/2 inches taller than the mean height of their parents and girls tend to be about 1 1/2 inches shorter than the mean height of their parents.

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
Being tall is good. Being tall and strong is better. It helps deal with pedantic fools who think they can walk all over me because I am smarter than most. No one really wants to mess around with a 6 foot tall guy who works out 2 hours a day.

Being 6'1 means that I will more than likely be taller than my girl. Height seems to have some ties to masculinity. Height can also keep you from being picked on. Most shrimpy smart kids get bullied, but there are not many bullies willing to try a 6'1 190 pound dude.

I think most guys would rather have a girl who is shorter than them and vice versa.

Being 6'3" is... I'm not sure how to put it. I don't feel overly tall, nor do I look tall from a distance without any comparative people/landmarks. I've never been teased about my height and I can't put it down to me being intimidating, because i'm not particularly bulky. And I've never seen any 'real' bullying against those who are short; aside from friendly banter.

Though I recently saw an appropriate group on facebook: "Hey, you're tall, do you play basketball?....Hey, you're short, do you play minigolf?"

So in short, height shouldn't and isn't (unless you want to be a model/play basket ball) going to have a huge effect on your life. And to respond to the 'a girl rejected me because I was too short' debacle, she probably didn't like you in general, and she just used your height as an excuse.

Though commercial airlines and buses fucking suck. :(

Echo, my girlfriend and I have those exact heights (I'm the taller one) and it's completely fine. I can rest my chin on her head and hold her in my lap, among other things. Heck, my roommate next year is 6'1" and dating a girl that's 4'11" and they make it work.

And if you're truly in love, it won't make a difference how tall you are. You make things work and ignore what others say.
I guess the problem in my case is the lack of love.

i'm 5'8 (without heels) and i've dated a guy that was way taller than me and one that was about my height, and honestly it didn't make that much of a difference. i think if the guy was a lot shorter (like 5 feet or something) it might be kind of weird, but if the guy's okay with being shorter than me, i'm okay with it. there's a lot of other things i'd consider about a guy before how tall he is.

For me it's not so much people telling me stuff that would bother me, but just psychologically I think I'd be messed up if I was dwarfed by a woman, which in a relationship I perceive should be more "dainty" than me.

My height (6'1") upsets me. I'd much prefer to be shorter than any hypothetical/potential partner without him having to be overly lanky, and anyone taller than me is unlikely to be proportionately pleasing (to me).

EDIT: I realize that last part sounds like innuendo, but it wasn't intended to.

Being 6'1 means that I will more than likely be taller than my girl. Height seems to have some ties to masculinity. Height can also keep you from being picked on. Most shrimpy smart kids get bullied, but there are not many bullies willing to try a 6'1 190 pound dude.

I think most guys would rather have a girl who is shorter than them and vice versa.
Bullies are another thing. Sure, you don't want to deal with them, but if you have to, note, if you are bullied it DOES NOT mean you have a problem. The bully is the one with the problem! I don't despise guys who get bullied, and I am a girl. In fact, I despise the bully infinitely more. I have seen it in school, and off to the school discipline master I go to and report it, and the next day, he's toast.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
I know a lot of people are saying height doesn't matter, but I'd have to argue it does. I'm 5'9", somewhat short for a guy, and I'd feel very awkward with a girl taller than myself.

If you really want a vivid and true example of whether height matters, here's a great one: I have a female friend who has told a short guy who was interested in her, "I don't date short guys". Directly to to his FACE, no less! (She's not the subtlest of sorts)

In conclusion, this height only matters based on the individual. Props to those who can work around problems like this, but there are many people who feel too uncomfortable to do so.

I know a lot of people are saying height doesn't matter, but I'd have to argue it does. I'm 5'9", somewhat short for a guy, and I'd feel very awkward with a girl taller than myself.

If you really want a vivid and true example of whether height matters, here's a great one: I have a female friend who has told a short guy who was interested in her, "I don't date short guys". Directly to to his FACE, no less! (She's not the subtlest of sorts)

In conclusion, this height only matters based on the individual. Props to those who can work around problems like this, but there are many people who feel too uncomfortable to do so.
Sorry to say (well actually I'm not), but that short guy is much better off without your friend.

Sorry to say (well actually I'm not), but that short guy is much better off without your friend.
Verily, just imagine what your female friend will say if she approaches some cute guy only to get told "I only date women with [insert bra size one cup larger than whatever she has]." What an insult!

Verily, just imagine what your female friend will say if she approaches some cute guy only to get told "I only date women with [insert bra size one cup larger than whatever she has]." What an insult!
You can't help what you're compatible with. If a man's height is an issue for her, it doesn't make her shallow. If height is that much of an issue for you it could very well be considered a facet of your sexuality. I certainly couldn't find a midget attractive and I don't consider that any more discriminatory or shallow than my lack of sexual attraction to females.

You can't help what you're compatible with. If a man's height is an issue for her, it doesn't make her shallow. If height is that much of an issue for you it could very well be considered a facet of your sexuality. I certainly couldn't find a midget attractive and I don't consider that any more discriminatory or shallow than my lack of sexual attraction to females.
Agreed, and I think the bluntness of her statement was actually better than letting him down easily, because it sent the message of "I don't want you, nor will I ever" to the poor guy that might have wasted some time.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
After she said what she did, yes, the guy was rather taken aback. But she apologized for any bad feelings she may have caused, because...

...this was she was trying to convey. She wasn't trying to be rude or insulting, simply honest with this guy. Sure it hurts at first, but better for him to hear the truth straight up than to waste his time trying to woo a girl who has no interest in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)