Does height matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am no-where near short, female, 14 and 5"5, by the time I am 20 I would be 5"8 or 5"9, but I know that males must be taller than females. It looks pretty awkward if it is the opposite. Why is it so? Is that prejudice, or is there a logical explanation behind it? Because even I feel that way, for no particular reason.

I am no-where near short, female, 14 and 5"5, but I know that males must be taller than females. It looks pretty awkward if it is the opposite. Why is it so? Is that prejudice, or is there a logical explanation behind it? Because even I feel that way, for no particular reason.
Obviously, it's not required for the female to be taller than the male in a normal relationship, I think it's just that most people have come to accept that so it seems normal now that you've thought that for most of your life. The same thing goes for age, most people think that the male in a relationship should always be older than the female in the relationship, but I'm finding that exceptions to this are occurring much more these days, not so much with taller females than males.

i am pretty sure that subconsciously humans will seek out ideal mating partners that will conceive the strongest baby, which is why tall people are said to be attractive, in the same way that males seek out females with large breasts because large breasts are a sign of fertility

of course if you were to ask me personally, i would not give a shit about height but i'm prejudiced due to being short, to put it simply

I think that its the standard these days that the boy should always be taler,and older than the girl.
But in these times,anything goes...

But are you 5'5" w/or with out heels?

I'm probably one fo the shorter people out there, with about 92% of the population above my height (yes, I did get checked D;). Since I'm not really used to talking in inches, I'm 1.60 Meters for those of you who can figure it out for themselves. I'd have to say, height goes a long way to make you feel better overall, be it because of how the society treats height or because it gives you a push in the self-confidence factor, without a doubt. When people are shorter than you, you just feel better, and obviously I'd want to be higher to feel it myself ;P

And yes, relationships where the male is shorter than the female look flat out awkward.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Around the age of 11-14 girls have a growth spurt while guys have it latter on around 15-18. If you looked at the classes in my junior high school, the vast majority of the girls were taller than the guys, even into grade nine that was still true. Then it pretty much reverses itself and all the guys tower over the girls. If your taller than the guys at your school: enjoy it while you can. I'm 5-11 and I'm maybe in the middle range of heights for my age. Stereotypically people in asia are shorter, (I'm not sure if their is any particular reason for that but it seems to be the prevailing attitude), so you might be on the taller side if you live their.

Most of it probably stems back to old traditions. Women were married off as soon as they reached an age of around 13 to 14 (I learnt this from fictional books made around that time so I'm guessing it's true) while men were often pressured from the age of 18 upwards, I would guess. This, as you would have guessed is around the age of puberty. It is also because men are supposed to be the head of the house and the decision maker, a symbol of dominance is age and height.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It's interesting to note the large advantages that come with height in, at the very least, Western society. This goes for both males and females, but I *suspect* (no proof) that the advantages and disadvantages are a bit more extreme in magnitude for males.

Men just receive more respect in general for being tall. Psychologically, this is a documented phenomenon. I don't think I ever even realized until recently the numerous subconscious advantages that tall-respect gave me in just about every aspect of my life.

I'm curious if there's someone with more expertise on this issue who could chime in, and perhaps say how it is for women in addition to men.

It doesn't matter imo love can happen anywhere but sometimes people just have to Diss people who are short but i'm not short btw but i have only seen examples

AJers

Your typical e-wench
Yes, height totally matters. It's a cultural thing for me; I've never really questioned it overmuch. I dated a guy who was like half an inch shorter than me once; I always felt super awkward wearing heels around him. I am attracted to guys who have at least 2 inches on me. And I'm pretty tall, for a girl (5'8" or approx 1.7 meters without heels).

I don't know! It's weird. I feel more secure with someone who is taller than me? Eh, I know LOGICALLY it's all culture and there's really not a difference. But, the end result is: yes, height matters. And for me to date someone shorter than me... they have to make more of an effort; and even THEN it usually doesn't work out because I like wearing heels and yeah. Hopeless! But I have a lot of short(er) friends!

Its probably some instinct.. A tall man has better genes, higher "ranking"(?) and is able to protect the family better?

For me height is very important since I want a dominant man, and it just seams very wrong and awkward if he is shorter than me. But all my female friends that I ever had discussed this topic with have share the same opinion.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
Yeah, I definitely prefer dating a guy that is taller than me. The perfect height is tall enough to rest his chin on my head when we're hugging or something. :x I dated a guy that was about my height, and it just seemed goofy to me, and I guess (in my opinion) made him lack in masculinity. I just prefer being with a guy that I have to look up to, literally.

I think height matters to an extent. I mean anything above 6 foot from what I've heard from my friends is going a bit too far. I'd much rather be concerned with my muscular appearance anyway than my height. A lot of what females subconsciously look for in taller males can be mitigated by having a somewhat muscular body, such as protection and better mating characteristics, etc. I'd much rather put more effort on something that I can control, like my muscles, than something like my height which I can't determine or change. Just my two cents. By the way, I'm 5'10'' which is by no means short but also not very tall at the same time.

I don't think height matters all that much, at least, not anymore. That being said, I'm at least 6' tall (been a while since I measured, but, I was 5'11" like a year ago, and now my friend is 5'11" and I'm noticeably taller than him, so...), so, I suppose I am taller than a lot of people are anyway. Still, I'm not prejudice against any type of people, and if I did meet someone taller than me, I wouldn't really care.

I usually prefer shorter girls. Maybe it's because I'm only 5'6" - 5'7" (been a while since I measured), who knows. But I very much like that my girlfriend is a little shorter than me.

I'm about 5' 10" and 16.... I almost always prefer girls to be shorter than me. Now, honestly, this isn't a huge problem since most girls are about 5'4" to 5'6"... although I would like to be a little taller... since I look shorter than I actually am.

you mean dating a guy, right fishy? otherwise dating would be awfully frustrating...

anyway, height does have that positive effect on a guy's life. in fact, it seems to matter more for guys in terms of day-to-day benefits that it does females, with the only tangible female benefit of height being modeling.

It's threads like these that makes short guys have ill-feelings about our height. :P

Anyways, on a more serious note, I'd say height does matter. It's accepted in society that guys are generally taller than girls; it's considered the norm. Of coarse, there's always people out there who don't care one way or another, but I think it has an effect on everyone's sub-conscious mind.

Pirika

O boxeador revolucionário
is an Artist Alumnus
I don't think height matter. My mother is taller than my father so I never really cared about this. I had a girlfriend with the same heigth as mine (I have 1,73m), but I never dated someone taller than me.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
But us not-tall guys develop that Napoleon complex that forces us to surpass ourselves in everything.

It's all good.

Besides, it works both ways. Being 5'8", I also do tend to much prefer short women.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
It's a bit awkward when the girl's taller than the guy and she has to bend down to kiss the guy/the guy tilts his head up because normally, it's the other way around. However, if one is truly in love, then something as minor as height doesn't matter. It will affect how other people look at you though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)