College Decisions: Where are you going?

Out of curiosity, for those of you currently enrolled in undergraduate programs (or those planning to apply), what are your plans after getting your undergraduate degree? (Graduate work, working, travelling?)

Out of curiosity, for those of you currently enrolled in undergraduate programs (or those planning to apply), what are your plans after getting your undergraduate degree? (Graduate work, working, travelling?)
Architects need their Masters to actually be able to practice in a firm, so I'll be getting my Masters.

I'm going to matriculate into a T14 law school if I do well enough on my SAT's, if not then I'll go for my masters in economics in NYU.

Architects need their Masters to actually be able to practice in a firm, so I'll be getting my Masters.
This seems frankly bizarre to me; if it's not just artificially lengthening the amount of time you need to study and/or artificially restricting the entry into the field to maintain low supply of services, why not just make a Bachelors in Architecture capable of giving you the same qualification by increasing the rigour of the course?

This seems frankly bizarre to me; if it's not just artificially lengthening the amount of time you need to study and/or artificially restricting the entry into the field to maintain low supply of services, why not just make a Bachelors in Architecture capable of giving you the same qualification by increasing the rigour of the course?
I'm not exactly sure why you must have a masters to practice, to be honest. However, I suppose I should clarify a bit. If you study Architecture but don't get your masters you can still work in a firm and make decent money. However, to actually be an ARCHITECT (which is what I want to be), you must be certified, which is in essence a masters degree (6 year program with the same credentials as a masters degree).

I suppose it makes a bit of sense since architects design things that can cause human deaths if designed incorrectly (bridges, building, etc.), but engineers and others look over the designs and make sure it works before it is built, so I don't see why it is required.

i wouldn't believe the most of them. either way, some will drop out because of "the pressure." lol.
You do realize that most of the people who have been accepted and are attending elite universities (including me) are in the position they are in because they are not keen to drop out when put under pressure. In fact, most of us have already been under way more pressure and stress than the average student while in high school. What's more, the average student (usually the ones that don't make it into the elite universities) have a higher drop-out rate than "better" students (who have a more difficult workload, increased pressure, and continual stress) in high school and in college.

JMC

Old as dirt.
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Heading off to University of Toronto for a year of MA sociology, with the hope of finding a math ph.d. school to call my own for fall 11.

Funny story, my buddy who's going to U of C has a brother who is going to Princeton and we always give him shit for not living up to the expectations of his family

Funny story, my buddy who's going to U of C has a brother who is going to Princeton and we always give him shit for not living up to the expectations of his family
Interesting, U of C is just as good as Princeton (or almost as good). It's not that far off...

I will be attending the University of Wisconsin-Madison next year, majoring in Computer Science. I strongly considered the University of Minnesota Twin Cities and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, but I wanted to get away from my brother (so no Minnesota) and Illinois was a bit too pricey for me (and I also would not have known a single person there, but that would be less of a problem).

I've graduated from my science degree, but I'm still doing my law degree. This coming holidays, I'm applying to the various Summer Clerkship programs for most of the big commercial firms out here. The dream is to get Minter Ellison, Allens Arthur Robinson, Freehills, or Mallesons Stephens Jacques. But clerkships are extremely competitive and my marks aren't great, so I don't know.

Interesting, U of C is just as good as Princeton (or almost as good). It's not that far off...
Yes it is, Princeton is widely considered the best undergraduate school in the whole world.

Out of all the Ivy Leagues it puts the most emphasis on its undergraduate institutions, gathering the best professors in the nation and allowing college sophomores to learn from there.

U. Chicago is just famous because of it's participation in the Manhattan project(nothing to be proud of, really) and because it's the only credible law school in Chicago and surrounding region.

uhhh, and also for being one of the best schools in the country and world, having an entire BRANCH of economics named after it, being one of the most rigorous undergraduate schools in the world, having nobel prize winners affiliated with it than any other school (or at least that was true once... it might be Columbia now I think)

I'll be going to the United States Naval Academy this summer and will be there for the next four years; after that, I'll serve as an officer in either the Navy or Marines.

I leave for Maryland in 37 days and will spend the summer doing basic training (plebe summer) before starting the academic year.

I'm planning on majoring in mechanical engineering but may end up going aeronautical or systems engineering. Not quite sure.

I have a full ride there (it's not really a scholarship as if you are accepted to the school it's automatically paid for by the government, all 350k of it).
Congrats on getting in to the USNA, and thank you for your future service to our country. (my dad is an '87 grad of the academy)

It may not be as well known as Princeton, but I'm attending the University of California, Riverside. I also got accepted to UCLA, UCI, and Berkley, but UCR offered me a full-ride which will be helpful so that I can save up money for graduate school.

Is anyone else attending a California University?

Carnegie Mellon University class of 2012 (if anyone cares to know this crap place <.< )

Electrical and Computer Engineering major.

Carnegie Mellon University class of 2012 (if anyone cares to know this crap place <.< )

Electrical and Computer Engineering major.
Carnegie Mellon graduates are the highest earning employees in the nation.

That's right, a Carnegie Mellon diploma gets you farther than one from Harvard.

I'm going to the University of Louisiana at Lafayette for Music Education. After I get my B.A., I'm thinking of going out of state for my Doctorate. I'm looking to become either a college or high school band director.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm going to UBC for undergrad of business admin/commerce. It's pretty exciting since I live in Ontario currently and have never lived in another province! I hope to either stay in BC or move to the states, I haven't decided yet. It will be a hectic first semester but should be a lot of fun, can't wait!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)