Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Triple battle explosion will be no worse than doubles in VGC play since there you only get to use two pairs for four Pokemon total.
So two explosions could easily wipe out your entire team if not planned against.
Actually, if the damage from explosion splits three ways you might have a better chance of some Pokemon surviving it in triples.

I think there is serious potential for interesting strategies; battles with multi-member parties are really a standard rpg thing.
They should introduce moves than can recover any ally (that's out) and buff allies (acupressure already does) so we can really take advantage of the team dynamic.
I'll have to wait and see where they take it but I'm intrigued.

The new sarcophagus creeps me out (it is the hands). I don't think anything else has done that since I was nine and playing gen1 back when it came out.

The mantis-like thing is pretty cool. The crocodile is still my favorite of the newbies.

I agree that the red and blue thing is probably related to Nosepass, somehow, and I have some sneaking (but unfounded) suspicion that the "gothic lolita" totem pole thing is related to Mawile.

VGC will probably keep the same format of 2v2 regardless of the new 3v3 mechanic. 3v3 will just be a clusterfuck and have very little to do with any actual strategy. 2v2 utilizes just as much (if not more) strategic planning as 1v1 and even if the execution is faster in 3v3 than 2v2 it loses a lot of its essence to become a bit of a Scramble.

Also, Munna is totally a Drowzee prevo. No question.

Yeah I don't get people that say "boo new gen pokes sux". A fucking ball of gas called "gastly" was one of the highlights of Gen I guys, lets keep this nostalgia shit in perspective please.
I think that they're complaining about over-detailing, as gen1 had relatively simple designs.

Personally I don't mind it as long as it's well-done. Zoroark is a piece of shit who looks like it was drawn by a 14 years old furry on devianart.
But the mole thing? I came.

The Pokemon in the black dress with white ribbons is obviously Mrs. Mime...

EDIT: Also now that I look at it, the Rock-looking Pokemon covered in rubies resembles Nosepass and Probopass alot...

ANYWAY....

anyone got a idea for when we will get new info? the game is coming out in 3 mouths but i cant stand this.

edit:also thanks haunter, it was impossible for that discussion to end in anything good.

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
more like two and two thirds of a month

but there'll be a new corocoro in a week or two i think and of course pokemon sunday next sunday.
and there might be random info leaks of course.

pokemon sunday is horrible for new info but i guess we got enough info to survive....for some days.

hope we get some leaked info soon enough. even if we dont i am sure we can survive.

I don't know about you, but I think Dunsparce NEEDS an evo, preferably a normal/dragon, and I'm still not sure that the turantula is an Ariados evo, just an evo of some other spider-thing, and is it just me, or does Ononokusu look just a little bit like breloom, crazy, right?

3x3 will actually be more startegic because you have more choices per turn.
So choosing the best moves for each of the Pokeon and targetting the right oponents will be a big deal.

just realized that the sarcophagus-mon (assuming it's Rock/Ghost) could be a SRing Spin Blocker... dunno if I like that or not.
i liked, if that end up happening let's partner it with froslass and use spike atacking teams for the win again, while also maintaining the double ghost spin block technique.

aaaanyway...

back to the topic of man-made pokemon...

regigigas himself IS a golem. which means something else made him.
then the golem made other golems...

but who would make something to tow continents?
The Magratheans.

I'm loving the new Pokemon. A lot. Even Stackohats, which reminds me of that enemy from the Subspace emissary that had a big head on a bunch of smaller enemies.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
pokemon sunday is horrible for new info but i guess we got enough info to survive....for some days.

hope we get some leaked info soon enough. even if we dont i am sure we can survive.
Since the starters, they're revealing pokémon every two-three weeks (starters - cover legends - Munna and others - this batch). Considering this trailer is not a leak and was first-shown on a Japanese TV program, I'm sure they won't be the highlights of next Corocoro, but other pokémon will instead.

Look, the official site already has the release date. I'm sure they will update it with this new batch of pokémon soon.

the new pokemon look awesome to me.

The only one I'll likely get any use out of is the Sarcophagus and the rock looking one of the three unnameds. The mole might be useful too. I like the new insects, wouldn't use them though.

Overall, I like these 8. Bring on more. I wanna see more Steels.

Has anyone seen the video? Zoroark was a Hihidaruma before its illusion wore off, and was against Gear and Munna. Any ideas on how its ability works now?

Yeah, 3x3 will be more strategic becau-BOOMBOOMBOOOOOOM!!
2x2 with 4 pokemon as is played on PBR or VGC has the same potential for winning with explosions.
In multiples explosion is a high risk, high reward move and nothing has really changed.

The only difference I can see is that one ghost may be enough to discourage explosion in doubles given the exchange that would occur.
On the other hand, triple battle explosions may be weaker given the potential 3-way splitting of the damage.

EDIT: I was thinking the mole was Ground/Steel but someone suggested Dark which would be a new type combo.
I guess that's OK offensively since only Steels and a few dual types resist both but on the defensive end it has almost all the weaknesses of both types.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
For all those who are worrying about triple battles being Explosion-fests, I'm not sure we should be jumping the gun on that. We've had two things confirmed by this latest trailer.

First, Rock Slide hits all three opponents in a triple battle. From this, we can extrapolate that all moves that used to hit both opponents in a double battle probably hit all three in a triple battle. What we don't know is whether or not the damage is further reduced when hitting three foes. I'm guessing it will be. I'm also guessing that moves like String Shot, Growl, and Captivate will still have their full effect against each opponent, which is fine since these moves needed a boost anyhow.

Second, Surf still hits your partner in a double battle. We have not seen it confirmed that Surf hits all five other Pokémon in a triple battle. It may, but perhaps these types of moves will also have their damage dramatically reduced, perhaps even halved. Or perhaps their accuracy will be reduced. Perhaps they will only hit Pokémon relative to where your Pokémon is standing on the field (though hopefully not).

I'm guessing that triple battles will be flawed, like double battles were in generation 3, but I don't think it's going to be as crazy as a lot of you alarmists seem to think. Let's see what GameFreak has done with the mechanics before we decry triple battles as a worthless scramble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)