Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 24 (READ THE OP)

Found on PsyPokes, article about EV training:

Can you still EV-train when your Pokemon is at level 100?

Yes you can, but since the Pokemon can no longer level up, the stat will never increase due to EVs gained. How then, can one overcome this problem? The answer lies in the Box Trick. Suppose your Mewtwo gains 4 Speed EVs. To increase its Speed by 1, deposit Mewtwo in the PC, and withdraw it again. Its Speed will now be higher by 1 point. This is because the stats are recalculated each time you withdraw a Pokemon in the PC. However, this is a tedious process. You will have to repeat this procedure for every 4 EVs gained. As such, it is advisable to start EV training early so that you do not have to resort to this means to let your level 100 Pokemon gain stats.
Is it true?

If I breed a Scyther in Diamond is there anyway to evolve and then get it Bullet Punch? (remember Scizor doesnt learn Bullet Punch in DIamond)

Mighty_Mult - The Box Trick no longer works. So the maximum EVs you can give to a level 100 Pokémon is 100 in any stat by using vitamins, which is why Arceus is banned from Ubers, because it cannot be properly EV trained because all legal Arceuses come at level 100 in the USA

Unknown Warrior -
A) Depends on the moves you are trying to get, mainly the best way is to obtain another Pokémon that knows the move you want on Smeargle and have it Sketched in a double battle.
B) It really depends on what you're doing with the Jirachi, although Smogon sets mainly use Jolly and Timid

sundy - That would work

@Royale with Cheese
A) I know that, but there is no VS Seeker in HGSS, so are there double battles that can be refought regularly (as in, by phone or so)?

@Royale with Cheese
A) I know that, but there is no VS Seeker in HGSS, so are there double battles that can be refought regularly (as in, by phone or so)?
I'm not sure, and I'm also not certain about this, but I do believe you can Sketch a friend's move over WiFi

Questions!

In the Pokémon Stadium Stadium, are just the Species, Sleep, Freeze, and Selfdestruct/Explosion clauses active? And is Mewtwo banned?

Also, are the Smogon RBY sets effective for use in Pokémon Stadium?

Finally, what determines the stat totals given on the Smogon RBY sets? I'm looking at an Alakazam with no EVs and a Quirky* nature, and it has much lower stats than the one on the RBY analysis, although it has no mention of EVs, what am I missing?

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Mewtwo is banned on all cups except the arena leader castle and premium cup.
And yeah just the clauses you named are active

I guess they are effective, but i didnt tested that

if i remember right there were ivs in rby too so maybe your ivs are just bad i am not sure if you gained evs via battling or you could just boost them via vitamins.

Finally there are no natures in rby so i dont know what you mean with a quirky nature.

I'm not too familiar with the tiering system, so...
Why are pokemon promoted to OU based on their usage in that tier? We say often that whether a pokemon belongs in Ubers has nothing to do with its performance there, but why are UU pokemon's tier status decided by OU usage? It seems contradictory. If, for example, Shedinja achieved a certain usage level in Ubers, would it be moved there?

BurningMan

fueled by beer
I'm not too familiar with the tiering system, so...
Why are pokemon promoted to OU based on their usage in that tier? We say often that whether a pokemon belongs in Ubers has nothing to do with its performance there, but why are UU pokemon's tier status decided by OU usage? It seems contradictory. If, for example, Shedinja achieved a certain usage level in Ubers, would it be moved there?
UBERs is just a banlist for standarts only pokemon that are too strong for ou are put there like BL is a banlist for uu pokemon that are too strong for uu but arent used in ou enough to make them ou.

no matter how many ppl use a pokemon in the uber tier as long as it doesnt destroys the balance of the standart metagame it wont be put in ubers.

Mewtwo is banned on all cups except the arena leader castle and premium cup.
And yeah just the clauses you named are active

I guess they are effective, but i didnt tested that

if i remember right there were ivs in rby too so maybe your ivs are just bad i am not sure if you gained evs via battling or you could just boost them via vitamins.

Finally there are no natures in rby so i dont know what you mean with a quirky nature.
Quirky is a neutral nature because I know there are no natures in RBY. And now that I messed around with my team builder, it seems all the Smogon sets have 248 EVs in every stat, which is still confusing

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I have a warstory on Warmachine 1.0 and I'm trying to post it, but it keeps saying:

"Don't forget to add insightful commentary before you post this!"
I've already added a lot of commentary. Help please on lettign it post?

PLEASE ANSWER ME!

there was no max EVs in RBY so you could get all stats to 999 in RBY
This is not completely accurate. Each stat could get around 65,536 EV points in each stat, but the stats would never go above the maximum stat possible, which each pokemon still abides to to the date (if you assume a neutral nature). So, Aerodactyl's Max speed has always been 359 when maxed in speed, since Gen.1 and to date with a neutral nature.

More info here:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Effort_values#Generation_I

Edit: Funny thing in Gen. 1 and 2 is that every pokemon gave EV points for all stats, equal to the Base stat of that pokemon.

I'm a bit new here, but I'm looking at Brelooms, and thinking this doesn't make sense...

What's the purpose of giving the 12 HP EV's to a Spore Puncher Breloom? I understand it reaches 33 HP recovery, but why is 33 the magic number? And considering it's half decent defence, would it not be better to increase Def EV's and use less speed EV's?

The second question is in consideration of the fact that pokemon who are slightly faster than Breloom (Heatran, Togekiss, Dragonite, Mamoswine and Gyarados) all generally invest in speed as well, and therefore it's useless to try and outspeed them. The only threat the extra speed EV's covers is a defensive Suicune, and even that doesn't require the full 244 Speed EV's. It would only require 128 at most (to just beat Suicunes with 4 EV's in speed). That's an extra 128 that could go to defence. But still, why is 264 health so great for a Breloom to have? Why not 272 and get 34 recovery per turn etc...?

Sorry I was mistaken. How do you get wifi?
In your house?

You can either connect through an unsecured or WEP-secured wireless network, or get a Wi-Fi Dongle (yup, that' the name), which let's you connect to WPA secured networks. The one I linked there is just an exampe, doesn't HAVE to be from Nintendo.

You set up the Wi-Fi after the start screen (where you would normally click continue). Scroll down to WFC Settings, set up an access point, it'll search for one and hopefully you can figure it out from there. Just remember to save the settings so your DS automatically recognizes that connection when you use Wi-Fi in game (to trade or battle!)

At LCQ when they hack check you, do they just hack pokes, or do they hack check the whole game?
For example, on my HeartGold I used an AR to help beat the elite 4, and gyms and stuff. By finding wild level 100 Houndooms and level 100 wild Palkia's and such. Will that raise a red flag, or is it only when one of the pokes you used are hacked?

This is not completely accurate. Each stat could get around 65,536 EV points in each stat, but the stats would never go above the maximum stat possible, which each pokemon still abides to to the date (if you assume a neutral nature). So, Aerodactyl's Max speed has always been 359 when maxed in speed, since Gen.1 and to date with a neutral nature.

More info here:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Effort_values#Generation_I

Edit: Funny thing in Gen. 1 and 2 is that every pokemon gave EV points for all stats, equal to the Base stat of that pokemon.
Holy hell, that's going to take forever to make top notch Pokémon. Is there any quick way to EV train in RBY?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)