Landorus

Bloo

Banned deucer.

Randorosu

Genies are awesome. Randorosu, a new Ground- / Flying-type Pokémon in Generation V, has phenomenal offensive stats, great Speed, and a slew of powerful moves to boot. This thread is dedicated to the discussion of the Pokémon competitively. Have fun!​

Code:
[LEFT][B]#645[/B] [SIZE=2]Randorosu[/SIZE][/LEFT]

[LEFT][B][SIZE=2]Typing:[/SIZE][/B][SIZE=2] Ground / Flying[/SIZE][/LEFT]

[LEFT][B][SIZE=2]Ability: [/SIZE][/B][SIZE=2]Sand Power: [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Pokemon's Rock-, Steel-, and Ground-type attacks have their damage boosted in a sandstorm.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/LEFT]

[LEFT][B][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Dream World Ability:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] Encourage: [SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Attacks gain power, but lose their secondary effect. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/LEFT]

[LEFT][B]Base Stats[/B]: [/LEFT]

[LEFT]HP: 89[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Attack: 125[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Defense: 90[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Special Attack: 115[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Special Defense: 80[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Speed: 101[/LEFT]

[LEFT][B]Level Up Moves[/B]:[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Lv1: Block[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Lv1: Mud Shot [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Lv1: Rock Tomb [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Lv7: Imprison [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Lv13: Punishment [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Lv19: [M523] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Lv25: Rock Throw [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Lv31: Extrasensory [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Lv37: Swords Dance [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Lv43: Earth Power [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Lv49: Rock Slide [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Lv55: Earthquake  [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Lv61: Sandstorm [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Lv67: Fissure[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Lv73: Stone Edge [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Lv79: Hammer Arm[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Lv85: Outrage[/LEFT]

[LEFT][B]Learnable TMs[/B]:[/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM04 - Calm Mind[/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM06 - Toxic [/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM08 - Bulk Up [/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM10 - Hidden Power [/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM15 - Hyper Beam [/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM17 - Protect [/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM21 - Frustration[/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM23 - Strike  Down [/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM26 - Earthquake[/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM27 - Return [/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM28 - Dig[/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM29 - Psychic[/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM31 - Brick Break[/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM32 - Double Team [/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM34 - Hydro Wave[/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM36 - Sludge  Bomb[/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM37 - Sandstorm[/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM39 - Rock Tomb [/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM42 - Facade [/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM44 - Rest[/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM45 - Attract [/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM48 - Troll[/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM52 - Focus Blast [/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM56 - Fling[/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM64 - Explosion [/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM66 - Payback[/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM68 - Giga Impact [/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM69 - Rock Polish[/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM71 - Stone Edge[/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM75 - Swords Dance[/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM78 - Smooth Over [/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM80 - Rock Slide[/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM86 - Grass Knot[/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM87 - Swagger [/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM89 - U-Turn [/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM90 - Substitute  [/LEFT]

[LEFT]TM94 - Rock Smash [/LEFT]

[LEFT]HM02 - Fly [/LEFT]

[LEFT]HM04 - Strength[/LEFT]
There are several cool things that I noticed while reading-up on Randorosu. Let's take a closer look:​

• Access to Swords Dance

• With Swords Dance, his all-star Attack stat is boosted even further. After a Swords Dance, Randorosu achieves a beautiful 698 Attack stat, assuming it's running a Jolly nature and 252 Atk EVs. He also has excellent coverage with EdgeQuake.
  • Great defensive typing

Randorosu's Ground - / Flying-typing grants it a much appreciated resistance against Fighting and an immunity to Ground- and Electric-type attacks. This allows him to switch-in on commonly used moves, giving him an opportunity to set up a Swords Dance, and wreak havoc. Being immune to Thunder Wave is nice, since Randorosu wouldn't appreciate having his Speed halved. The genie isn't frail by any means, as well. It sports a solid 89 / 90 / 80 defensive spread, making it that much easier to set up!​
  • Versatility

Randorosu has the ability to run a mixed set, seeing as it has a solid base 115 Special Attack, and access to special moves such as Earth Power and Grass Knot. However, I don't see Randorosu being used much as a mixed attacker. Besides Earth Power and Grass Knot, he doesn't really have anything going for it on the special side. His stellar attack, access to EdgeQuake, Explosion, and Swords Dance is just too good to pass up!
  • 101 base Speed

Funnily enough, this allows Randorosu to beat base 100s. Unfortunately, it isn't enough to beat Garchomp, who's base Speed a mere one point higher!
With that out of the way, here's a set that shows plenty of promise:​

Swords Dance

Randorosu @ Life Orb / Yache Berry

Ability: Sand Power / Encourage

Nature: Jolly

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

-Swords Dance

-Earthquake

-Stone Edge / Rock Slide

-U-turn

Using this on a Sandstorm team is an option. Seeing as his ability—Sand Power—increases the power of Ground- and Rock-type moves, Randorosu's two main attacks will sky-rocket in power, making this Pokémon even more deadly. Yache Berry could be an alternative item choice over Life Orb if you're worried about his 4x weakness to Ice-type attacks. Everything else is pretty self-explanatory.​

Here's what it does to Pokémon with +2, Jolly, LO, and max Atk in Sandstorm. Thanks to DDRMaster for the calcs!
  • Stone Edge vs. Standard Skarmory: 223 - 289 (73.4 - 86.5%)—nearly a OHKO with SR.
  • Stone Edge vs. Standard Bronzong: 170 - 338 (50.3 - 59.2%)—70% chance to 2HKO with SR assuming it comes in on the Swords Dance and has Leftovers.
  • Earthquake vs. max / max Swampert: 479 - 564 (100%)—OHKO.
  • Earthquake vs. max / max Hippowdon: 399 - 469 (95.0 - 111.7%)—71.4% chance to OHKO
With a Yache Berry, you do 91.3 - 107.4% to Swampert, which is a 47.7% chance to OHKO. So running Yache over Life Orb is a definite option.​

__________________​

Choice Scarf

Randorosu @ Choice Scarf​

Ability: Sand Power / Encourage​

Nature: Jolly​

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe​

- Earthquake​

- Stone Edge / Rock Slide​

- U-Turn​

- Explosion​

Randorosu's bulk, power, speed, immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, make it a great choice for a revenge killer. Once it has finished its job, it can go out with a bang with Explosion, killing of a potentially dangerous threat. Access to U-turn for scouting purposes is a plus as well.​

__________________​

Mixed Attacker

Randorosu @ Life Orb​

Ability: Encourage / Sand Power​

Nature: Hasty / Naive​

EVs: 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe​

-Earthquake / Earth Power​

-Stone Edge / Rock Slide​

-U-turn / Explosion​

-Grass Knot​

This set puts Randorosu's excellent special attack to good use. Earth Power is a relatively strong move here, since it gains STAB and is boosted by Encourage. Grass Knot allows you to damage Water-types, while Explosion deals a boatload of damage to virtually any Pokémon.​

__________________​

Choice Band

Randorosu @ Choice Band​

Ability: Sand Power / Encourage​

Nature: Jolly​

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe​

- Earthquake​

- Stone Edge / Rock Slide​

- U-turn​

- Explosion​

A Choice Band set could work very well here, most notably for its ability: Sand Power, and its STAB Earthquake. With Sandstorm in effect, you basically get a +2 Earthquake right off the bat (when factoring in Sand Power's and Choice Band's 1.5x boosts) allowing you to inflict massive damage to whatever Earthquake or Stone Edge hits.​

It should be noted that Skarmory and Bronzong still completely wall most of your attacks so a Mixed Tyranitar would work really well here doing massive damage to the 2 with a Life Orb Fire Blast and helping keep Sandstorm in play. You can also run Hidden Power Grass (if you use CB or SD on Randorosu) on Tyranitar to surprise Swampert, and Stone Edge / Crunch / Ice Beam for the last 2 slots to either take care of Gliscor, Ghosts, etc., further allowing Randorosu to have an easier time at sweeping opposing teams. This was taken from joshe's post about Choice Band Randorosu!​

This is what that set can do to Pokémon in Sandstorm (assuming Sand Power is a x1.5 boost). Thanks to DDRMaster for the calcs!​

• Stone Edge vs. Standard Skarmory: 143 - 168 (42.8 - 50.3%)—88% chance to 2HKO w/ SR.
  • Stone Edge vs. Standard Bronzong: 99 - 116 (29.3 - 34.3%)—4HKO with Leftovers.
  • U-turn vs. Standard Bronzong: 93 - 109 (27.5 - 32.2%)—4HKO.
  • Earthquake vs. max / max Swampert: 277 - 362 (68.6 - 89.6%)—Possible OHKO with Spikes.
  • Earthquake vs. max / max Hippowdon: 231 - 272 (55.0 - 64.8%)—2HKO.
  • Earthquake vs. max / max Celebi / Shaymin: 129 - 152 (31.9 - 37.6%)—3HKO w/SR since Sandstorm cancels Leftovers.
__________________​

Now, what do you guys think? Are there any other sets you guys feel show promise? What Pokémon would pair well with Randorosu? Are there any Pokémon that can stop him from going ravaging through teams? Discuss away!​

Here are some defensive calcs by DDRMaster:​

Code:
[LEFT]These are all with 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe with Jolly. Randorosu should put the last EVs in Def instead of HP since it would reach 320 if it put them in HP. This means that it will switch into SR 8 times and die if it doesn't take any other damage.[/LEFT]

[CENTER][LEFT]
[LIST]
[*]Standard Bronzong Gyro Ball (132 BP): 159 - 183 ([B]49.8 - 57.4%[/B])— 2HKO with SR or Life Orb recoil.
[*]Standard Bronzong Explosion (doesn't cut Def anymore): 195 - 229 ([B]61.1 - 71.8%[/B])—2HKO
[*]Standard Swampert Ice Beam: 292 - 343 ([B]91.5 - 107.5%[/B])—OHKO after SR or Life Orb, 2HKO with Yache Berry.
[*]max Attack, Jolly, CB Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. Yache: 218 - 256 ([B]68.3 - 80.3%[/B])—OHKO after 2 hits of SR.
[*]Adamant does 74.6 - 88.1% so it could possibly OHKO through Yache Berry after SR
[/LIST][/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

Lol, the first time I heard about this thing I thought it was a troll. 101 Spe, 125 base ATK, SD, and Explosion? That's too crazy. Another top notch threat that will likely see a lot of use. With this guy and the Ground/Steel type running around, I think a lot of people will have to resort to Bronzong for defensive coverage. Even then, I doubt Bronzong can survive a LO SD Explosion...

It can't. I remember running damage calculations for a Pokemon with the same Base Atk and the only things that could take a +2 LO Explosion were Ghost types and Rock/Steel types. None of those can take EdgeQuake so it will interesting to see what happens with this guy.

Edit: With its 101 Base Speed I could see it running a Choice Scarf set well. It would have a niche over faster Scarfers like Garchomp because of Explosion.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
It can't. I remember running damage calculations for a Pokemon with the same Base Atk and the only things that could take a +2 LO Explosion were Ghost types and Rock/Steel types. None of those can take EdgeQuake so it will interesting to see what happens with this guy.

Edit: With its 101 Base Speed I could see it running a Choice Scarf set well. It would have a niche over faster Scarfers like Garchomp because of Explosion.
Unless I calculated this wrong, a +2, LO Explosion from a Jolly Randorosu does 131.95% - 155.33% to a Bronzong with max HP and Defense investment.

Using libelldra, here's the calc I got: 698 Atk vs 364 Def & 338 HP (250 Base Power): 446 - 525 (131.95% - 155.33%)

So, yeah, I think it can KO. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Lets not forget about his 115 Special Attack! A mixed set seems like it could work.

Randorosu @ Life Orb
Ability : Encourage
Hasty/ Naive 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe (Just the typical split, definitely could be changed)

Earth Power (Gets a great boost from STAB + Encourage)
Stone Edge
Explosion
HP [Ice]/ whatever

Just seems like a waste of a great stat it it isn't at lest mentioned

Also, it learns ROCK POLISH!!! =D

Randorosu @ Life Orb
Adamant 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe (Can be changed to just outspeed certain scarfers or something after a boost)

Rock Polish
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Explosion

Great attack and high enough speed to make use of it, too. This would be great in a sandstorm

Swords Dance definitly seems like its best option (and a damn good one at that) but a rock polish sweeper sounds cool too.

Randorosu @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Rock Polish
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Explosion

Identical set as SD except RP > SD obviously.
Overall, no doubt this guys gonna be a top mon

edit: ninjad by giggity69 lol. and for the mix set, no doubt grass knot should be used in the last spot. I dont reccomend Adamant on the RP Set. outspeeding Base 100s, Jolly Luke and other stuff that im forgeting before the rp is too important imo

Explosion halves the target's defense so shouldn't the BP be 500? Anyway:

Randorosu @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-Turn
- Explosion

Flygon who?

Bloo

Banned deucer.
@Uncommon Madness: I think the damage calculator I used automatically factors that in. To double check, instead of 364 as the defense stat, I used 182, since Explosion halves defense, and got the same percentage of 131.66% - 155.03%. Either way, Explosion will be KOing :) Anyway, I can see the Choice Scarf set you mentioned working on Randorosu if you're in need of a revenge killer. It has the right speed, power, and bulk to pull it off. When it's job is done, you can Explode to kill something off. Immunity to Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and access to U-turn is a plus. Definitely something to look into.

@giggity69: As Megan_Fox stated, I'd use Grass Knot in the final slot of the mixed set, simply because it'd allow you to poke a hole through Pokémon such as Swampert (and other bulky Waters), without having to resort to Explosion. HP Ice isn't entirely necessary, since the only Pokémon you'll be hitting with it are Dragon-types like Salamence and Dragonite, both of which take a huge blow from Stone Edge. Other Pokémon who are hit super effectively by HP Ice, such as Ononokusu, are hit harder by Earth Power. The Rock Polish set also looks interesting. I look forward to trying it out.

I'll add all of the sets you guys mentioned into the OP of this thread in a while. Thanks for contributing, guys!

Lets not forget about his 115 Special Attack! A mixed set seems like it could work.

Randorosu @ Life Orb
Ability : Encourage
Hasty/ Naive 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe (Just the typical split, definitely could be changed)

Earth Power (Gets a great boost from STAB + Encourage)
Stone Edge
Explosion
HP [Ice]/ whatever

Just seems like a waste of a great stat it it isn't at lest mentioned

Also, it learns ROCK POLISH!!! =D

Randorosu @ Life Orb
Adamant 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe (Can be changed to just outspeed certain scarfers or something after a boost)

Rock Polish
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Explosion

Great attack and high enough speed to make use of it, too. This would be great in a sandstorm
Rock Slide is a better option instead of Stone Edge, It is boosted by encourage and has better accuracy. BP 120 with encourage.

This thing is absurd. One look at that offensive movepool and you're pretty much sold. Explosion, SD, Stone Edge, and Earthquake provide immense coverage and everything that resists the combination is OHKOed by a +2 Explosion. The Choice Scarf set is excellent as well, outspeeding base 100's and cleaning house with its general coverage. All in all, I agree with the previous posters. This guy is going to go places in the metagame.

Yeah, I hadn't thought about Grass Knot, but it does seem like a good idea on the RP set, though explosion should still be at least mentioned.

I can imagine this guy working in every single tier, even in future Ubers tier. Troll speed, huge power and this Explosion makes it ridiculous enough. When it goes to wall-breaking power strangely it's really similar to... Garchomp.

The only targets, which may take hits from it are... Lugia (and only because it's slower then Lugia) and Giratina. Probably Cresselia may work too, as she's bulky enough to take one hit and beat it with Ice Beam (however Yache fix this). Ice Fang Hippowdon may also work I guess (like Physically Defensive Groudon). But Explosion eats Cressy, Hippowdon and Groudon for breakfast, so probably future stall teams will be forced to bait Randorusu to use Explosion as otherwise this guy can break through most of physicall walls without bigger problems and I'll add that others die to Explosion. While Dragon STAB (when we compare it to Garchomp) is great thing to have, Randorosu honestly doesn't need it. Hyper Offense will LOVE this guy and I can't wait to test it ;). Just cover Ice weakness and Randorosu + Garchomp sounds BEASTLY.

I checked for specialized counters (to physical sets) and I found something. This thing is Unaware Quagsire. Ignores Swords Dance, can handle all physical hits and threaten back with Ice Beam/Ice Punch back. However it hates Grass Knot, so just watch out on this.

101 speed, damn you trollfreak. But in all seriousness, I really like the look of this guy. I cannot wait to pull off a +2 LO Encourage boosted explosion, just to say, screw you Skarmory. In any case though, he looks good, and the ability to run a mix set is nice, as is having access to RP. Though like the Gen IV dragons, he bewares the ever present HP Ice. Unfortunately, with the 101 troll speed, and stats this dangerous, it may be just enough for him to be the Garchomp of Gen V, but we'll see.

edit: keep in mind, while not as good as STAB +2 outrage, an encorage boosted explosion is basically STABed, so yeah, that tears shit up, in addition, outraging earlyish game is as good a death sentence as explosion. Also, factoring STAB and either of its abilities, its EQ is more powerful than Chomp's Outrage, in terms of base power, and its Stone edge is approaching it.

Nah I don't think he'll be the new Garchomp. He's counterable. The Scarf set is easily countered because scarf. The SD set is more of an issue here. It doesn't have Stab +2 Outrage so yeah. This might be one of the reasons why Garchomp is going to be used more. Since it has 1 more Base Stat point in speed than him, so he outspeeds lol.

I could see this guy teaming with Gliscor in a similar Rayquaza/Salamence duo partnership? Simply combine them with bulky waters and a sandtreamer and you have a good team right there :)

I could see this guy teaming with Gliscor in a similar Rayquaza/Salamence duo partnership? Simply combine them with bulky waters and a sandtreamer and you have a good team right there :)
Not really, a LO starmie with recover can Sweep through that entire team. Not to mention LO or specs Sceptile, who will literally OHKO every pokemon you just mentioned with just one move.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Explosion halves the target's defense so shouldn't the BP be 500?
Just quoting this to note that Explosion longer halves the defense of a target, as stated in this thread. Fortunately, I don't think this will affect Randorosu much, since a SD boosted Explosion will still wreck stuff no matter what.

Yikes! This guy looks insanely scary. Sand will be way more prominent with him and Doryuzzu running around. Who would expect a genie to know explosion?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
How much is the Sand Power boost anyways? If it's like double, then SD QuakeEdge/QuakeSlide sets could just tear through EVERYTHING in Sandstorm.

But unfortunately weak to priority, though it resists Mach Punch. Ex cellent move pool, with SD. Definitely OU material, as it also has Sand Power, and the EdgeQuake combo.

Grass Knot seems pretty essential, and Randorosu's SpAtk isn't too bad to use it on the bunch of bulky waters that'll probably switch in. U-turn being supereffective on grass-types is a plus in the case celebi/shaymin decides to butt in.

I'd probably end up running Earthquake, Stone Edge, Grass Knot, and U-turn on mine, with either a Life Orb or Yache Berry, depending on the rest of the team. Interesting Pokemon indeed.

joshe

the best
Skarmory, Bronzong, and Swampert wall the heck out of this thing. Skarmory and Bronzong are immune to its STAB Earthquakes, Skarmory resists U-turn and they both resist Stone Edge and Explosion and Grass Knot. If Swampert has Damp, you can't Explode on it and I'm fairly sure Pert' can take a few Earthquakes as well. I should mention its not-so-awsome defensive typing, 4x Ice-type weak, 2x Water-type weak, and only resisting 3 types (Fighting, Bug, and Poison) which doesn't do wonders for it.

However, I see a Choice Band set working very well here, most notably for its ability: sand power, and it's STAB Earthquake. With Sandstorm in effect, you basically get a +2 Earthquake right off the bat (when factoring in Sand Power's and Choice Band's 1.5x boosts) allowing you to inflict massive immediate damage to whatever Earthquake or Stone Edge hits.

Randorosu @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Explosion

It should be noted that Skarmory and Bronzong still completely wall most of your attacks so a Mixed Tyranitar would work really well here doing massive damage to the 2 with a Life Orb Fire Blast and helping keep Sandstorm in play. You can also run Hidden Power [Grass] (if you use CB or SD on Randorosu) on Tyranitar to surprise OHKO Swampert, and Stone Edge / Crunch / Ice Beam for the last 2 slots to either take care of Gliscor, Ghosts, etc., further allowing Randorosu to have an easier time at sweeping opposing teams.

p.s. bloo sexy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)