Chandelure

Plus, Shanderaa needs some scouting to figure out good times to deploy him. Just sending him out first things first makes him a sitting duck.

A bulkier spread bent on abusing Shadow Tag could work wonders, especially for stall teams. I think Shanderaa might be the way to go if you want to use stall effectively in this gen. Basically, trap something with Shadow Tag and then switch to a bulkier pokemon that can kill the trapped opponent without worry of being 2hko'd.
Once Shandera switches out the trapped foe is free to switch out on the next turn. Unless the foe is pursuit weak and you switch in a pursuiter, this may not be a very reliable strategy.

The idea is to switch into a counter who is able to set up on the opposing pokemon RS. No idea how well that would work in practice though, all depends on the metagame and if you can allow your opponent that turn.

You are of course right that your switch in could start setting up, so my last sentence didn't take that into account. Otherwise, the wording of Tacho's post made it sound like s/he might be thinking that the opponent remains trapped even after shandera switches out, which last time I checked is what Serebii's description says, but the "trapped after switching out" should only apply to the turn Shandera switches out, so I wanted to make that clear.

The idea is to switch into a counter who is able to set up on the opposing pokemon RS. No idea how well that would work in practice though, all depends on the metagame and if you can allow your opponent that turn.
Would work really well if you could encore a move that your set-up sweeper resists first.

Oh hi Wobbuffet.

You are of course right that your switch in could start setting up, so my last sentence didn't take that into account. Otherwise, the wording of Tacho's post made it sound like s/he might be thinking that the opponent remains trapped even after shandera switches out, which last time I checked is what Serebii's description says, but the "trapped after switching out" should only apply to the turn Shandera switches out, so I wanted to make that clear.
Is that so? Bah, once again I have misunderstood serebii ._.

But still... Shanderaa can trap things and then stall them out with Will-o-wisp, substitute and pain split, so it can't be a terrible idea.

Why are you guise still discussin Shadow Tag Shandy and not flash fire (or flame body lol)?
Anyway, Encore Erufuun and Shadow Tag shanderaa > all. Just my 2 (final) cents regarding Shadow Tag, until it's officially released.

Encore Erufuun and Shadow Tag shanderaa

Oh dear god, encore on a set-up move or normal/fighting move, switch to Shanderaa...dear lord.

Encore Erufuun and Shadow Tag shanderaa

Oh dear god, encore on a set-up move or normal/fighting move, switch to Shanderaa...dear lord.
Dear Lord indeed when after +2/+2/+1(lol nitrocharge), sucker punchers, u-turners, scarfers, T-Ttar, Doryuuzu, Heatran, and aqua jetters come screaming "u mad?". I kept doing this, but I usually scored 2 KOs at most. Just like the op, seems broken on paper but on practice is a different story.

Way to get Erfun banned under support clause, guys.

( =P )
lol, I used this combo since the first time I played Gen V. Incidentally, I lost the battle, 0-3. Anyway, no one's getting banned since Shadow Tag Shandera doesn't technically exist yet. Remember DW abilities aren't gonna be used until they're officially released. :3
Now, can we stop discussing Shadow Tag, people? D: I feel there's a lot of undiscussed potential in other EV spreads, sets, and teammates.
When Pokemon Online's revived I feel like testing a pseudo tank with 4 immunities (lol balloon) with WoW / Calm Mind / Pain Split / Flamethrower. Shandy suffers badly the 4 Moves Syndrome since you NEED substitute, but can't afforde to lose any of those moves. Perhaps sub over Pain Split?

It's slightly disappointing that the game apparently alerts the foe that your guy is wearing the balloon, so if your foe is paying attention s/he won't waste an earthquake/earthpower on you. It's probably the first item I'll slap on shandera if I every find the time to play.

Although I like the Erfun+Shandera potential, I'll probably try that out with a few things to see how it goes before we stop using DW abilities. (And before Erfun gets banned. ;) It doesn't need shadow tag Shandera to get axed because of support clause. [in principle =P])

Support Clause? Does that even exist? lol, people don't know what to ban these days.
DEAL. WITH. IT. There's a lot of way to deal with Erufuun and other MH users. :/
On topic, Balloon Shandy is a cool switch in for a lot of stuff. Think about it, 4 immunities.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
what would make this pokemon so cheap and great for a quick kill is shadow tag choice scarf. With shadow tag your opponent can't switch out and with the choice scarf well its basically ownage from there.

I can see it now use something like ambipom to lure a fighting type, agility on the switch, then baton pass to Shanderra on the (hopefully) choice locked move then start the cming. Followed by hopefully raping everything. Thouh suckepunch could kind of screw you over.
(this was my first post ever so if I screwed up I apologize)

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I can see it now use something like ambipom to lure a fighting type, agility on the switch, then baton pass to Shanderra on the (hopefully) choice locked move then start the cming. Followed by hopefully raping everything. Thouh suckepunch could kind of screw you over.
(this was my first post ever so if I screwed up I apologize)
That's a perfectly good post, and welcome to Smogon!

I'd personally use something bulkier than Ambipom, so that they'll definitely use a fighting or other type move. Without any investment in its defenses, Shanderaa is pretty frail, and a Starmie or something could come in to Ambipom and try to KO with Hydro Pump/strong STAB move. Perhaps a Gliscor, to attract resisted Ice Beams? But Starmie or any Water type can hit that with their STAB move just as well, so it may not work so well. Just an idea.

EDIT: @420: Support Clause does exist, you can find the clause definitions in Policy Review somewhere; I don't know exactly which thread they're in.

Shandera makes a great revenger with Shadow Tag and 145 base Sp Atk, and a great boosting sweeper as well. Looking forward to seeing it in action in Gen V.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I do think the Erufuun + Shanderra combo has potential. It could work with a Scarf Shanderra, just to kill something off very easily rather than taking a potentially risky set-up.

I do think the Erufuun + Shanderra combo has potential. It could work with a Scarf Shanderra, just to kill something off very easily rather than taking a potentially risky set-up.
Either way, we may never get to test it out. I mean, Shandy's Shadow Tag is banned untill nintendo actually releases it. :3

I don't think shadow tag is uber threatening, because there is always baton pass, U-turn is still a TM, Volt Change is the electric version of U-turn, which is a TM so pretty much all electrics can learn it, anyone else with shadow tag or run away isn't trapped, anything with Roar, Whirlwind, Dragon Tail (not Overhead Throw because it is fighting) can get Shandera out and can then switch, a similar effect occurs with the Red Card, anything holding an Escape Button that can survive a hit gets out and anything with a Shed Shell get out of there.

I don't think shadow tag is uber threatening, because there is always baton pass, U-turn is still a TM, Volt Change is the electric version of U-turn, which is a TM so pretty much all electrics can learn it, anyone else with shadow tag or run away isn't trapped, anything with Roar, Whirlwind, Dragon Tail (not Overhead Throw because it is fighting) can get Shandera out and can then switch, a similar effect occurs with the Red Card, anything holding an Escape Button that can survive a hit gets out and anything with a Shed Shell get out of there.
As far as we're concerned, Shadow Tag Shandera does not exist. Besides, everyone of us who tested it in pokemon online agree it's not even near being broken, unlike Doryuuzu (lol).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)