Zoroark

Very good. I like that you are thinking outside the box and using CB rather than an obvious special set.

I have been using this at the moment:

Zoroark - Illusion @ Life Orb
252 SPATK/252 SPEED/6 ATK - Hasty
~Focus Blast
~Hidden Power Ice
~Pursuit
~Flamethrower

The idea is to have Zoroark transform into Doryuzuu. Only switch Zoroark in on a free turn and when it would come in on something slower than Doryuzuu which would run away. Pursuit them for kill #1. Now, in comes the Doryuzuu counter, which could be anything from Skarmory, Gliscor, Randorosu etc.

If your opponent has not caught on to the fact that you are Zoroark, You can kill their Doryuzuu counter with either Flamethrower or Hidden Power Ice. The nice part is that Hidden Power Ice is still unexpected, even if they know you are Zoroark. I have netted 2 for 1's with this guy on many occasions. Zoroark is a great way to kill off counters to certain pokemon, paving the way for a sweep.
Unfortunately, nobody is really scared of Doruzyu outside of Sandstorm. And if SS is on the field, people will know that you're a Zoroark, since you'll be taking SS damage.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you're coming in on the revenge, they're not going to know anything. They're going to switch out of the Pokemon Doryuuzu threatens and into something that might counter it, which gives Zoro free setup.

I think some people are missing focus. If you're underwhelmed by him it's because you're thinking too generically with him. Thanks to his ability he is the definitive counter counter. He clears the worst threats your opponent has so your real DDer can dance without fear of Ice Shard cause it got Flamethrowered, or DynamicPunch Machamp can wreck havoc without a Ghost to block it anymore thanks to Dark Pulse. Zoroark's job isn't to sweep, although it can get away with it if you're lucky, but he's going to mae the rest of your team's jobs a heck of a lot easier! I'm frothing at the mouth thinking of the possibilities and I am so going to train one to use.

Theyre sure many chances to use zoroark as a counter-counter, But the problem will be, that every Hazard will show you, wether its the True Zoro or not, and after youve hit it or his double one time youll every timesee the bluff :(

On WIFI you can see the oppenent Team before batteling it, so youll see Zoroark before and this thing is so frail, itll get hurt even from a neutral move very bad, but do we know wheter itll be on Shoddy, too?

Love this thing to bits. I think two of the best partners would be:

SD/NP - Infernape- has similar speed and reactions to passive damage, and it can counter some of Ape's counters... it could be very effective.

NP - Mismagius- perfect defensive synergy (typing), with similar defenses and identical speed. Not completely identical for passive damage, but fairly close. Not quite as synergetic as Ape on an offensive front, but better from a defensive perspective.

Aside from those two, many of the best would likely require additional support, such as spinners. In particular, someone like Dragonite would work both defensively and offensively. Dragonite provides the fighting and bug resistance illusion, whilst Zoroark clears bulky waters and steels with Grass Knot and a fire move.

I haven't really looked too much at this gen's additions, but there's sure to be a couple of gems there!

How about Toxicroak as a Zoroark partner? It resists Zoroark's weanesses, and Zorark is immune to Psychic? They have similar movesets, so could easily bluff as each other. However, they may be too similar, and aside from maybe Psychic types, I don't know what Toxicroak would lure out for Zoroark...

Although Toxicroak could work, it resists the most common hazard, Stealth Rock, whilst Zoroark does not. I suggested Mismagius and Infernape as top choices- mostly because of their similar reactions (with Zoroark) to various forms of passive damage, thus requiring least support to work effectively. Most other ideal choices I can see do not share such qualities (many fliers) and would require additional support.

As I said in my previous post, I haven't looked much into the 5th gen choices.

I'm glad most of the community is in aggrement about zoroark's best use as a hit and run pokemon so as to use his illusion ability to the max.

i couldnt agree more myself. A scarf set is obviously the most practical, and it seems that a scarf set that can effectively utilize U-Turn as well as special attacks can become very deadly.

Both Gengar and Zoroark get destroyed by Scizor's Bullet Punch. Also, Gengar is immune to Spikes because of Levitate and Zoroark isn't and since they're pretty popular right now, that would give it away. You should probably just go with Infernape since everyone is going to switch their Burunkeru into it and you can easily get a Nasty Plot up as they switch in and fire off a Dark Pulse for the KO.

Since Infernape can still learn Nasty Plot, Flamethrower, and Focus Blast, you should be able to keep the disguise up until you actually take out something with Dark Pulse. By that point, you've probably weakened or severely weakened their main Infernape counter.

Copying something that normally wouldn't be too threatening to some Pokemon, like Burunkeru itself, could be useful since Zoroark can just hit any Nattorei or Erufuun that switches in with a Flamethrower.

@The Enemy: Why are you running 3 STAB moves? Sucker Punch and Pursuit should be enough to take any Pokemon out and you just get walled by Steels even easier.
On a theoretical Choice Band set, show me another move that would be better than Night Slash in the last spot. Return? Dig?

On a theoretical Choice Band set, show me another move that would be better than Night Slash in the last spot. Return? Dig?
Flamethrower or Ankle Sweep. Even though Flamethrower isn't boosted by Choice Band, it still works off of Zoroark's higher SpAtk and will hit Skarmory, Scizor, Forretress, and Nattorei hard. Ankle Sweep is Zoroark's only physical Fighting attack (odd that it doesn't get Brick Break) and gets perfect coverage with its Dark STAB.

Flamethrower or Ankle Sweep. Even though Flamethrower isn't boosted by Choice Band, it still works off of Zoroark's higher SpAtk and will hit Skarmory, Scizor, Forretress, and Nattorei hard. Ankle Sweep is Zoroark's only physical Fighting attack (odd that it doesn't get Brick Break) and gets perfect coverage with its Dark STAB.
I'll give you the flamethrower idea, because it makes sense. Maybe a naive nature with that...

But ankle sweep? Over a flamethrower even? it just seems too weak to be an option.

Also, not that it matters too much, but Dark/Fighting doesnt give perfect coverage. It is resisted by Heracross and Toxicroak. just so you know...

^An npc gives you a zorua in hiun city but i don't know the details.

Anyway, i'm totally psyched about pursuit on this thing. I think it could work well with erufuun since the little cotton ball causes switches like no other. Taunt/night slash/pursuit/u-turn could be extremely effective with illusion.

Zoroark is a tricky to play around with. You sometimes have to guess if it's the actual pokemon or Zoroark at the end game. Now it all depends on the partner of it. The partner needs to beable to force switches and lure out counters/checks that are threatening the real pokemon so the Zoroark can eliminate them. Sort of like a ultimate lure.

So Illusion allows it to become another Pokemon? Not Typing? Wow. LOL. Using it as a sweeper, it can put use to Illusion but other than that. I can't really see use.

So i have a small question regarding Illusion:

Does Illusion disguise EVERYTHING? I mean the name too. Like, other than an educated guess, theres no way to distinguish zoroark from the illusion pokemon right?

Like there wont be zoroark's name in parenthesis right?

Does Illusion disguise EVERYTHING? I mean the name too. Like, other than an educated guess, theres no way to distinguish zoroark from the illusion pokemon right?

Yep it disguises everything except moves, stats and typing.

It disguises name, gender, sprite. It does NOT however hide HP.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
So Illusion allows it to become another Pokemon? Not Typing? Wow. LOL. Using it as a sweeper, it can put use to Illusion but other than that. I can't really see use.
Then again, why wouldn't you use Zoroark for sweeping? Illusion yourself as a Blissey-bait pokémon, use Substitute, ???, profit.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yep, Zoroark being awesome as usual, no surprise there. He's probably going to be a pretty popular lead for a while until Fake Out Kojondo rises to #1 and forces him to start running Protect or something.

Yep, Zoroark being awesome as usual, no surprise there. He's probably going to be a pretty popular lead for a while until Fake Out Kojondo rises to #1 and forces him to start running Protect or something.
Yeah, Kojondo will probably become a new Ambipom (i.e. annoying as heck Pokemon that keeps Fake Out-ing you).

It's a shame Zoroark doesn't learn Fake Out himself. He could be a great Lead with it, and he could keep the Illusion disguise for a bit longer with it + U-Turn.

Max HP or Current HP. %age?

Its just that im curious as to what the opponent would see when playing against zoroark.
Zoroark has whatever HP it has, that's unaffected by Illusion. I'm not sure what you're asking here since on WiFi you can't see the % or number of HP your opponent has anyway, so the only giveaway in that respect is the amount of damage Zoroark has taken compared to the Pokemon it's imitating. Unless by HP% you simply mean the position of the green bar and not an actual number, in which case no; Zoroark appears to have it's own HP; not that of the imitated Pokemon.

If you mean on simulators where the HP values can actually be seen and such, that'll be relative to how the simulator handles it. On Wi-Fi at least what you see is the Pokemon Zoroark is imitating come out of the ball with said sprite and nickname; there's no indication it's Zoroark outside of the HP bar.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
it can work as a suicide lead making it look like a pokemon its not which might trick opponents. it might be able to force a switch but takes serious damage from many attacks so a focus sash is a must.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)