Mamoswine

I think Mamoswine is my absolute favourite pokemon to use this gen. I've turned games that were almost 6-0's into victory's in my favor because CS Mamo is an absolute GOD at cleaning up.

Mamoswine lead set:
Mamoswine @ Custap Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
-Earthquake
-Ice Shard
-Endure
-Endeavor
188 HP/188 Att/132 Def

If your weak, use Endure, and Endeavor the next turn. If not, go ahead and attack, this guy works miracles (He's not damaged by any weather, so he'll always get that Endeavor in)

I'm not really using Mamoswine as an attacker. It's my lead.
Screening Swine
252 HP/ 4 atk/ 252 Spe (light clay)
Reflect
Iceshard
Stealthrock
Lightscreen

Set up the right def. move for your opponent first turn then SR and either set up the other wall or switch out. I truly love it, and it can come back later and hurt any dragons giving me trouble and can also switch in to take a beating and set up more screen.

DW abilities and Egg Moves are legal. Female DW pokemon have a 50% chance to pass the ability down. Hello Monsterswine ^^.

I love thick fat on him. Snow Cloak kind of forced you to use him in a Hail team to get full use of him, and that meant you have to use Abomasnow and other Ice pokemon, which aren't recommended in most cases lol. It also eliminates his Fire weakness and makes him res Ice. Shame it's not compatible with Super Power, however many DW pokemon get Gen. IV tutor moves in the DW, so it's not completely ruled out (if that is the case, than it'll be incompatible with Icicle Drop lol). Looking forward to using him as a lead ^^.

Well, Superpower has always been kinda superfluous, as it has somewhat redundant coverage with Swine's uber-powerful STAB EQ.

Well, Superpower has always been kinda superfluous, as it has somewhat redundant coverage with Swine's uber-powerful STAB EQ.
That, and the only two things I can think of that won't take a beating from Mamoswine's STAB options would be Bronzong and Skarmory. Superpower always did seem an odd option that was more for filler.

I just realized how exclusive Icicle Drop's distribution is.
Anyway, w/ STAB Icicle Drop Mammo has a drawback-free move that hits Skarmory harder than Superpower.
Superpower would still be his strongest option against Bronzong though.

breh

強いだね
I just realized how exclusive Icicle Drop's distribution is.
Anyway, w/ STAB Icicle Drop Mammo has a drawback-free move that hits Skarmory harder than Superpower.
Superpower would still be his strongest option against Bronzong though.
Unless you're finishing either off, it's a terrible option in general to attack Skarm or Zong, frankly. both superpower and Icicle Drop do lol to both actually.

Unless you're finishing either off, it's a terrible option in general to attack Skarm or Zong, frankly. both superpower and Icicle Drop do lol to both actually.
Not to mention Bronzong can just set up or Gyro Ball you, and Skarmory will just laugh and Roost up or drop some Spikes. Come to think of it, the only Pokemon in my memory that Superpower would hit harder than Mamo's STAB other than those two, aside from Balloon Heatran or the like, would be Nattorei.

You're all very true. I was keeping the same mindset for my hail team as I was for normal Swine -- keep as many pokemon with fighting moves as possible for Ttar lol. Plus I usually ran bright powder for extra hax with Snow Cloak, so couldn't run LO to 1hko 4HP Ttar w/ EQ. Even Nattorei is neutral to both his STAB types, so a fighting move is unnecessary. Looks like I've got another move slot on my Swine ^^.

You're all very true. I was keeping the same mindset for my hail team as I was for normal Swine -- keep as many pokemon with fighting moves as possible for Ttar lol. Plus I usually ran bright powder for extra hax with Snow Cloak, so couldn't run LO to 1hko 4HP Ttar w/ EQ. Even Nattorei is neutral to both his STAB types, so a fighting move is unnecessary. Looks like I've got another move slot on my Swine ^^.
might wanna run SR

I'd reccomend Substitute or Stealth Rock, depending on if you have someone to set those up or not. You know, this is likely the first time I've seen a Pokemon actually break free of four-moveslot syndrome. Mamoswine doesn't really NEED a fourth move to break others. It's quite fine with Drop/Shard/EQ.

Icicle Drop should most definitely be used over Ice Fang, even at the cost of Thick Fat, as Mamoswine can deal solid Ice-type dagame with it's mammoth (lol) attack stat.

Also, there's no mention of a mixed with Blizzard here...

That's because Icicle Drop is quite powerful now, so unless Mamoswine invests EVs into special attack, it will almost always be outclassed. I run EQ/drop/shard and SR is compatible with drop, and I can't figure out how. You can breed a Mamoswine with SR (shift? Bulbapedia says you have to chain breed) to get a Swinub with SR, and breed Tsunbear with Icicle Drop with a Mamoswine to get a Swinub with Icicle Drop. If somebody could explain how to get both, that would be great.

It was the reason Superpower was run, to be able to do something to them in a pinch (lol better than non).
But Icicle Drop is about is 'good' so it's easy to pass up Superpower for Thick Fat (was my point).
Obviously, Mamo has a terrible matchup against Steels that are only weak to Electric/Fire.

Mamoswine's in the Ground egg group, so any combination of Egg moves can be obtained via Smeargle.

As for a fourth move, how about Icicle Spear? It's reasonably useful for getting around Yache, Subs, Sashes and Sturdy. (But mostly for the childish glee produced from having three damaging moves of the same type on a 'mon.)

Mamoswine's in the Ground egg group, so any combination of Egg moves can be obtained via Smeargle.

As for a fourth move, how about Icicle Spear? It's reasonably useful for getting around Yache, Subs, Sashes and Sturdy. (But mostly for the childish glee produced from having three damaging moves of the same type on a 'mon.)
Terrible coverage

Ice/Ground already has good coverage. I think it's only resisted by skarm and brong. With leaves two empty slots. To bad Mamo has a really bad movepool. QQ

True, SE + Ice shard KOs taunt DD gyara after rocks (after intimidate). But so does 2 icicle drops if you hit on the switch in, I think. But both stealth rocks and gyara aren't seen much.

Yes I heard that SR has seen a tumble in usage since 5th gen metagame has been established

But in 4th running Mamoswine with Stone Edge was just a nice little filler. Now with Icicle Drop that move will probably drop in usage as well

If any moves going to drop, it's probably superpower. The only thing it was used for last gen was to shave ~50% off bronzong and to get a clean KO on blissey and bulky t-tar The only reason to keep superpower is nattorei. At least SE gives mamo the quakedge combo.

Ice/Ground already has good coverage. I think it's only resisted by skarm and brong. With leaves two empty slots. To bad Mamo has a really bad movepool. QQ
Pokemon that resist Ice+Ground
Surskit lol (not Masquerain)
Bronzong and Bronzor (with leveitate)
Rotom-H, Rotom-F, Rotom-W (with levitate)
Furijio (with levitate)
Shedinja
Anything resistant to Ice while holding a Balloon (like Balloon Heatran), and some Pokemon that have an odd ability they don't naturally get

Out of those Pokemon, Surskit, Rotom-F, Furijio (pure Ice) and Shedinja are hit for SE damage by SE (thank you pokemon fans for making these abbreviations), Rotom-H and Rotom-W are hit neutrally by SE, and Bronzong (and Bronzor) resist SE.
Only Bronzong (and Bronzor) defend better against Stone Edge than Superpower (bar the base power and accuracy difference).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)