5th Gen Concept Theoreymoning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also to Aerodactyl Legend, Ditto can counter one member of a weather team, but he can't counter weather itself. Sandstorm is still a prominent power, and if he takes out Doryuuzu, and suddenly Landlos switches in after you've EQed, you're essentially done. But if CaP 1 switches in, removes weather, slows down Doryuuzu, and can begin to work a counter-offense, you have a successful pivot in the battle's power.
Switch Ditto out and you can use him again for another Pokemon. It can be frustrating for the opponent, especially if you've copied a bunch of decent moves which can hit more than one member for neutral or supereffective damage (in that case, you don't have to switch out yet).

I think a pokémon that can make use of otherwise unused moves or moves that aren't used to their full potential would be an interesting concept. This would include low-accuracy moves, recharge moves, low power moves, etc. This is similar to the Special No Guard concept, but more open; we could give it No Guard and a movepool containing Purgatory and the crew, or make an ability that makes recharge moves viable, with relevant movepool, or give it Technician and a unique Technician movepool; there are many paths to be explored, whereas the NG concept is rather restrictive.

Smith, your idea of a weather disrupter may be pure genius. Change the weather at the end of every turn, or every time it switches in? That would be amazing.

However, as Deck Knight said, we want to keep this limited to concepts. If the concept presented isn't viable without the use of a custom ability, please refrain from suggesting it.
Eh, not per se. I think something of note is that, all of these concepts can be expanded in ways we never really assumed- I mean, weather disrupter is extremely broad. That could be anything from changing the weather, to inducing fog or acid rain, to just being an excellent stop to inducers or sweepers of every weather. I guess that to "disrupt" weather is extremely broad and there is certainly a number of ways to tackle it. He could have, for example, simple access to Hail, Rain dance and Sunny Day and have Forecast as an ability, I don't know. The point is that there are tons of ways to come at a concept, and we should think more broadly than just abilities, even though abilities seem, to me, an efficient way to come at this concept.

Right. This is actually abilities again, but what if, for the Special No Guard concept, we gave it Hustle (or a special version thereof)? It would get boosts, but no accuracy drop.

I don't want to be talking too much about the concept I thought up but I didn't get really any feedback on it yet.

My original ideas was to make a pokemon that has the ability Air Lock since no other pokemon than Rayquaza has it since it can stop pokemon like Doryuuzu dead in its tracks and is also able to start a counterattack being able to handle common weather moves like EQ, Surf, Blizzard, etc. I just want a little feedback on whether this is an acceptable concept idea or not.

Air Lock is a good thing, or just a weather abuser. However, I think we should make a perfect SR lead. Considering that Aerodactyl dosen't work anymore, and Gigaisu is really slow etc. Something like this could also carry the spikes, and taunt. Preferably fast, and able to stop other leads as Aero used to.

Smashlloyd20@ Hustle and No Guard?

Since players preview each others' teams in the new metagames, it would be good to make a Pokemon that can fulfill a few wildly different roles on a team, but not at the same time. By using such a Pokemon, a battler would still be able to withhold a great deal of information from the opponent. The concept could possibly be executed by giving a Pokemon three good abilities and a movepool full of egg moves, Dream World moves, and previous-gen moves that conflict with each other.

@Tawp: why does Aero not work anymore? it's been working for me.
Well, whenever I try it it is always not useful later on. Aero used to usually have some use late game. But only Archeos can do something late game, and troll freak decided to deprive it of SR.

Nope, not true. I learned that the hard way. Cloud Nine only cancels the weather when the Pokemon with the ability is active. Yeah, I know, quite dissapointing.
Air Lock is the same... Air Lock
Since players preview each others' teams in the new metagames, it would be good to make a Pokemon that can fulfill a few wildly different roles on a team, but not at the same time. By using such a Pokemon, a battler would still be able to withhold a great deal of information from the opponent. The concept could possibly be executed by giving a Pokemon three good abilities and a movepool full of egg moves, Dream World moves, and previous-gen moves that conflict with each other.
I was thinking something along similar lines, a CAP designed to explore Team Preview. Maybe a pokemon purely designed as a dedicated lead or something to explore how switching leads changes strategy, etc.

Switch Ditto out and you can use him again for another Pokemon. It can be frustrating for the opponent, especially if you've copied a bunch of decent moves which can hit more than one member for neutral or supereffective dmage (in that case, you don't have to switch out yet).
All the while taking weather, entry hazard, and incoming attack damage every switch in. Ditto is a simple revenge killer, he's in no way an anti-weather Pokemon. What's necessary is something to either calm the storm or change it into something different, nullification or disruption, not simple elimination.

And on the topic of using Team Preview as a CaP tool, I feel it's interesting but not all that reliable, and it would be an extraordinary obstacle to get over. As its purpose would be as a bluff, I can see it having a two set wave, everyone expects a lead, so its a sweeper, that becomes the norm you prepare for, so it switches back, and so on and so forth. Of course this won't be true of all battles or all teams, but thats what I would see the majority turning into.

Air Lock is the same... Air Lock
Yeah, that's what I thought. Why wasn't Rayquaza on every Uber team before then, am I right?

All the while taking weather, entry hazard, and incoming attack damage every switch in. Ditto is a simple revenge killer, he's in way an anti-weather Pokemon. What's necessary is something to either calm the storm or change it into something different, nullification or disruption, not simple elimination.
Yeah, Ditto is not made to be switched in, unless you can get in on a move it'll resist. True, it doesn't last long (Stealth Rocks, but a lot of Spikes and Toxic Spikes are being used this Gen too), but it is still good for getting at least two kills if you're smart. Eccentric is only an idea though. Can't be counted on like a solid user of Cloud Nine. I tried out Lickilicky, but he can't carry his best moves if he uses the ability. I'm currently trying out Altaria. It's doing better than Lickilicky generally, but gets stuck against many of the powerful threats in OU. I'd support a Cloud Nine/ Air Lock user as long as it has a couple more options.

CaP is essentially an experiment to see what would happen if you influenced this part of the metagame. It's similar to adding a foreign species to an ecosystem and watching the results, some other species thrive while some die off. So if we want something to work against weather, its not just an Air Lock Pokemon, that only one aspect of it.

CaP is essentially an experiment to see what would happen if you influenced this part of the metagame. It's similar to adding a foreign species to an ecosystem and watching the results, some other species thrive while some die off. So if we want something to work against weather, its not just an Air Lock Pokemon, that only one aspect of it.
I have said about Air Lock a couple of times but that wasn't my whole idea either. The whole idea was to have a pokemon that could stop common weather abusers and resist common weather attacks such as EQ for Sandstorm, Surf for Rain Dance, and Blizzard with Hail etc., but it might not resist other moves that are common but not used on weather teams.

EQ is not the only common Sandstorm attack. Rock-type moves see a lot of usage too.

Anyway, what resists all of those? (Ice, Rock, Water, Ground)

Well, Hail has to be contended with a different mindset from the others just because there isn't an ability that grants a speed boost, thankfully.

I'd hate to already start creating a Pokemon now, but to answer your question, off the top of my head Water/Fighting would be resisting three of the four types (based on what corresponds with the weather).

Well if Hail isn't seeing much usage because of now ability like Sand Throw, Swift Swim, or Chloropyhl we could just work with those weather conditions and making a pokemon that counters the common moves for those weather conditions especially if it can stop a weather sweeper and make them switch out because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)