What aren't we writing about? (Pokemon unfit for OU Analyses)

It doesn't have to outclass it. It just has to be able to do something useful that Volcorona can't (like Baton Pass the boosts).
Smeargle with QD/BP then. lol. At least it isn't SR weak, not that that really matters that much in this meta. People are still in denial about it but SR is kind of a joke this time around.

I've personally found Flame Charge Emboar to be pretty viable. His bulk and attack stats are incredible, and after a Flame Charge, outruns a good chunk of the metagame.

Me next. I've been running a Vigoroth @ Eviolite (my favorite new item). I was wondering if I could write a review for him or if that has to wait for UU. I find him quite viable.

Also how do I go about starting one? just start the thread? Im new just dont wanna get in trubs.

I would still like Slacking taken off the list but with team preview seeing your Cofigarius, the abundance of Will-O-Wisp users and hard hitting fighting types, I doubt this will happen.

I also think Gigalith should be removed as it has a good stat spread but many other Pokemon have a similar one and better moves. I think it's a good Pokemon but it's not going to go far with its ability. Maybe when its Dream World is released.

Really, Hariyama isn't outclassed by Throh, he just has a more specific niche in being able to tank some special attacks more effectively, whilst also hitting harder off the bat.
It's not that Throh outclasses Hariyama, it's that other fighting types can do what Hariyama can better.

I have come up with a makeshift recovery move to help people out but it requires successful 2 Baton Passes (Smeargle and Vaporeon) and with all the priority and fast Taunt users, it's not going to fly. Plus, you cannot switch because of Ingrain.

It's not that Throh outclasses Hariyama, it's that other fighting types can do what Hariyama can better.
In offensive roles, yes. In defensive roles, no. It can run more or less the same sets as Throh effectively, with 10% less bulk but a lot more attacking power, and two additional resistances if it wants to give up Guts.

Im currently running an escavlier adament natured, with EVs in atk and hp holding a life orb or leftovers. sort of made him a staller with a classic toxic and protect, with great offensive STABS with megahorn and iron head...besides being PAINFULLY slow, hes able to take a few hits, nice to switch into some attacks with...and with 135 base atk, he can pack a nice punch

Scyther is underrated as usual this gen, but this bulky SD set is really good (albeit pretty useless against stall).

Scyther @ Evo Stone
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
- Swords Dance
- Aerial Ace
- Bug Bite / Brick Break
- Roost

Other sets like CB are outclassed by Scizor obviously, but this one stands out. It sacrifices typing and the priority BP for speed and overall better bulk. It's a lot easier to Roost off damage while setting up due to that 105 base speed. This thing literally sets up on Rotom-W (sans Will-o) something Scizor definitely cannot do. Analysis worthy?

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Im currently running an escavlier adament natured, with EVs in atk and hp holding a life orb or leftovers. sort of made him a staller with a classic toxic and protect, with great offensive STABS with megahorn and iron head...besides being PAINFULLY slow, hes able to take a few hits, nice to switch into some attacks with...and with 135 base atk, he can pack a nice punch
Don't worry, it has an OU analysis already. I believe it's in the Copyediting stage, if you're interested.

On the subject of Hariyama, is the combination of Sheer Force and the elemental punches illegal on him? If not, a life orb set with close combat and the three punches could be great with trick room or paralysis support. It's like a slower but bulkier and more powerful physical Nidoking, with arguably better typing.

shadowbone66

Banned deucer.
Now hold it. Basculin in UU or lower? I don't get it. Now, I'll admit, his movepool sucks to such an extent that there's only one really viable set, (Aqua Jet, Waterfall/Aqua Tail, Crunch, Double-Edge) and he is rather frail. However, once you get past that, you see a rarity: a Water sweeper. Heck, he has not one, not two, not three, but four Abilities, all of which a good sweeper would kill for. Heck, who WOULDN'T like a choice of Rock Head, Adaptability, Reckless, and Mold Breaker? Give him a Choice Band, and let it sweep late-game. Oh, and I typed this on my iPod. That's how strongly I feel about it. XD

Now hold it. Basculin in UU or lower? I don't get it. Now, I'll admit, his movepool sucks to such an extent that there's only one really viable set, (Aqua Jet, Waterfall/Aqua Tail, Crunch, Double-Edge) and he is rather frail. However, once you get past that, you see a rarity: a Water sweeper. Heck, he has not one, not two, not three, but four Abilities, all of which a good sweeper would kill for. Heck, who WOULDN'T like a choice of Rock Head, Adaptability, Reckless, and Mold Breaker? Give him a Choice Band, and let it sweep late-game. Oh, and I typed this on my iPod. That's how strongly I feel about it. XD
His base attack in only 92 and Gyrados/Kingdra are both more capable water sweepers. Adaptibility is nice but the complete lack of boosting moves and being outsped by all base 100's and up mean there's little reason to use him. Azumarill also does the revenge killing better.

Also, it is one of two viable users of Aqua Jet (the other being Azumarill) due to Adaptability. However, it is actually fast.

Basculin's Aqua Jet is weaker than Azumarill's even with adaptability. It's also less bulky than Azumarill and the speed doesn't mean much when you're running something mainly for priority. So he shouldn't really be used in Azumarill's place.

You don't even have to read the whole paragraph. C'mon now, Basculin?

Unfortunately, this guy just isn't cut out for OU...

Rock Head is solely useful for Double-Edge, which is much, much weaker than a STAB, Adaptability Waterfall.

Adaptability is the only thing that can help Basculin compete with Azumarill, as it allows it to carry a strong Surf, as well. Even then, it's not physically as strong as Azumarill, which is vital for a metagame infested with Excadrills.

Reckless only helps with Double-Edge. Adaptability Waterfall is still more useful, with better neutral coverage and STAB.

Mold Breaker mainly helps against Water Absorb/Dry Skin users, who are, besides the rare Water Absorb Quagsire and Dry Skin Toxicroak, usually resistant to Water-type, regardless.

Therefore, Adaptability is really the only viable ability. And while it does allow Basculin to run Surf for physically defensive foes, its Special Attack stat is not impressive, and it does not have the Attack stat to OHKO Excadrill with Aqua Jet. It also does not have a good way to take down the multitudes of Ferrothorns in the metagame besides Hidden Power Fire, which doesn't have the base power to take it down, anyways.

It's just that the main thing holding Basculin down is its inability to take down Excadrill assuredly. Azumarill is the better choice, as the ability to revenge kill Excadrill is just way too hard to give up.

Oh. And besides its defenses being terrible compared to Azumarill, its Speed is not good enough for the metagame, as well. 98 base Speed is reeeeaaaally trollish...

lol. Outclassed by Azumarill. That's kind of embarrassing.

-Zane

Without attacking me for bringing up the topic of Weezing again, would a Weezing with 252 EVs invested in Defense and Special Attack be able to switch into a Conkeldurr or Excadrill and proceed to do decent damage with Psybeam and Flamethrower respectively? I'm not sure how much damage it would do considering Weezing hasn't got the greatest Special Attack stat, and Psybeam is... well.... crap :/

Will-O-Wisp and Pain Split could round off the set. Or maybe Thunderbolt.

shadowbone66

Banned deucer.
Unfortunately, this guy just isn't cut out for OU...

Rock Head is solely useful for Double-Edge, which is much, much weaker than a STAB, Adaptability Waterfall.

Adaptability is the only thing that can help Basculin compete with Azumarill, as it allows it to carry a strong Surf, as well. Even then, it's not physically as strong as Azumarill, which is vital for a metagame infested with Excadrills.

Reckless only helps with Double-Edge. Adaptability Waterfall is still more useful, with better neutral coverage and STAB.

Mold Breaker mainly helps against Water Absorb/Dry Skin users, who are, besides the rare Water Absorb Quagsire and Dry Skin Toxicroak, usually resistant to Water-type, regardless.

Therefore, Adaptability is really the only viable ability. And while it does allow Basculin to run Surf for physically defensive foes, its Special Attack stat is not impressive, and it does not have the Attack stat to OHKO Excadrill with Aqua Jet. It also does not have a good way to take down the multitudes of Ferrothorns in the metagame besides Hidden Power Fire, which doesn't have the base power to take it down, anyways.

It's just that the main thing holding Basculin down is its inability to take down Excadrill assuredly. Azumarill is the better choice, as the ability to revenge kill Excadrill is just way too hard to give up.

Oh. And besides its defenses being terrible compared to Azumarill, its Speed is not good enough for the metagame, as well. 98 base Speed is reeeeaaaally trollish...

lol. Outclassed by Azumarill. That's kind of embarrassing.

-Zane
Gah...you guys all make some good points. Maybe he'll get a nice spot in UU. Imma still use him though...

P.S. For all who are interested, the only way you can get a Rock Head Basculin is an in-game trade in White. And as a bonus, it's Adamant and its IVs are all at 20, except for Attack. That's at 31. Boom, baby.

Any love for Vespiquen? With the abundance of fighters this generation, it can stop a lot of common threats dead in their tracks. Flying STAB is much more useful this time around, and Quen still has access to Power Gem for good coverage with either of her STABs. Her stats are balanced on either side of the spectrum, both offensively and defensively, and it's much bulkier than Venomoth. She also gets viable recovery.

Still can't get around Steels outside of Hidden Power, and the movepool is a little shallow, but I think it could really catch a lot of people off guard.

Power Gem is not a selling point, considering it has the same BP as Hidden Power, no effect, and Vespiquen doesn't even have the inclination to run other Hidden Powers. Also, Venemoth gets Quiver Dance, that alone invalidates Vespiquen. Plus, Vespiquen gets wrecked by Rock Slide from most higher power Fighting types.

Without attacking me for bringing up the topic of Weezing again, would a Weezing with 252 EVs invested in Defense and Special Attack be able to switch into a Conkeldurr or Excadrill and proceed to do decent damage with Psybeam and Flamethrower respectively? I'm not sure how much damage it would do considering Weezing hasn't got the greatest Special Attack stat, and Psybeam is... well.... crap :/

Will-O-Wisp and Pain Split could round off the set. Or maybe Thunderbolt.
Weezing's base SpA is 85, which frankly, is terrible. Psybeam is a bad move. It's only real purpose is a tank, and even then it's shut down quickly by Guts Conkeldurr, Nasty Plot Lucario and others hard-hitting sweepers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)