Pokémon Black/White in-game discussion

This will probably be a repeat of many of the things that have already been said, but I figured I'd throw my opinion out there.

I really like how they placed so much emphasis on keeping Team Plasma and Professor Juniper involved in the storyline. Instead of getting your starter and never really hearing from the professor until the end of the game, or seeing Team Rocket every few cities, the loose ends have been tied together very well. Additionally, there's obviously a lot to say for how creative and fun the gyms are in this game. Lastly, unlike in previous versions, significantly less emphasis has been placed on having HM slaves in your party. This is awesome because it prevent us from having to run back and forth from the pc to get the right HM poke. Before the elite four, there are only a couple of places in the game where you absolutely need an HM to keep going forward.

While I like the storyline for the most part, I do really hate the staple rival battle after every gym. It just gets repetitive and pointless because of how weak they are (especially Bianca). This goes in part a little with another complaint that I have. In SS/HG, I felt like the gyms were exponentially harder than they are in this game. Many of them are a complete joke and can be swept by 1-2 pokes.

Coming from HG/SS, the pixilated graphics of your pokemon (but not the opponents) drive me absolutely crazy. It just looks like absolute crap imo. But speaking of crap, I think the majority of 5th gen pokemon are completely unimaginative. They just look too normal....like game freak created most of them in one afternoon.

Regardless, B/W did not let me down as much as it may seem from my post. This is a great game that I'll enjoy for a long time.
I agree the pixelation that happens with your Pokemon while the opponent's is displayed fine is crap; I'd much rather have a zoomed out view that shows a good graphic instead like with past games.

In the previous generations it just seemed (to me) like most of the pokemon were so creative, imaginative, and just plain cool looking. Now i get the feeling that I do when I just leave the starter town and see the basic rattata/pidgey like pokemon. Except, in this game the majority of the pokemon still have the early game normal type look. I'm sure that many will disagree with me, but it's just how I feel.
I don't necessarily disagree with you but I don't see how any of the 5th gen Pokemon are any less or more creative than Pokemon from the previous generations. I think it's more to do with each person's definition of what looks cool or imaginative.

Really, I enjoy the new Pokemon designs, and, for the most part, find the Unova dex Pokemon more visually interesting than the Hoenn or Sinnoh ones. My main complaints as far as new Pokemon go is that I wish they would have had a Fire/anything but Fighting starter, and that Conkeldurr's design is really ugly, despite it being good enough that it will likely been seen in wifi/simulator battles frequently. I especially enjoy the designs of the legendaries compared to the 3rd or 4th gen legendaries, although I am still irritated that they maintained the huge number of them.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Really? There really aren't that many legendaries.
The Musketeers: 3
The genies: 3
The title legends: 2 (3 including Kyurem)
And 3 unreleased legends.

That's only twelve. DPPt had 14 plus Rotom and RSE had 10 so it really isn't that many.

I think by far the best feature of the game is the re-usable TMs. I can use moves like Earthquake as much as I'd like now. But it kinda sucks that a lot of the TMs aren't available until post-game (like EQ).
And worse, that Unova Pokemon got shafted in movepool because of it.

See also: how few Unova Pokemon learn EQ compared to previous gens. Hell, Serperior and Samurott are literally the only two starters that can't...

Really? There really aren't that many legendaries.
The Musketeers: 3
The genies: 3
The title legends: 2 (3 including Kyurem)
And 3 unreleased legends.

That's only twelve. DPPt had 14 plus Rotom and RSE had 10 so it really isn't that many.
Generation V has 13, which is the same as IV unless you count Phione as legendary. I also felt that RSE and DPPt had too many legendaries, anyway. I would have been happy with just Deoxys, Jirachi, and the Weather Trio for RSE and the Creation Trio, Arceus, and Cresselia/Darkrai for DPPt. The other ones feel very peripheral to the games, IMO.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Massively late to the party but I have to say just how much I've fallen in love with my Pokemon Black. I've been playing it completely at my own pace and I'm around 40 hours in and with 7 gym badges so far! I love the amount of thought that's gone into the game and all the little things that combine to make it a really novel experience - in particular the new EXP system which massively discourages grinding, and, along with the in-game Lucky Egg, allows you to easily train up basically any new Pokemon you like the look of to an acceptable level just to try it out. It's given the playthrough a relaxed yet exciting feel that I've not experienced from a Pokemon game for the last 8 years.

Anyway, I've just been trying to catch a Cobalion to use as a CM sweeper for my end-game party, and I've found that Elgyem is a hugely helpful Pokemon for this in many ways:
  • It has Synchronize and is readily available atop celestial tower (50% rate) so you can go on a catching spree and will be sure to have a couple of useful ones. And if you're feeling really efficient, you can do this while SpA EV training. First turn Quick Balls didn't pop open once out of the 50+ Elgyem I caught while up there.
  • It has roughly a quarter the Speed of a Lv42 musketeer and learns Thunder Wave by TM. My Lv27 Modest Elgyem was sitting on a nice 26 Speed after a couple of carbos, just under a quarter the Speed of a 31 IV Modest Cobalion (108 Spe --> 27 Spe).
  • When holding Eviolite, it generally survives any attack from Cobalion and can proceed to paralyze it and check its Speed. It can then use Flash to reduce its accuracy to smithereens if you're wanting to catch it old-school (and Flash is obviously very handy in getting through the cave!).
After about an hour of labours, I'm being sorely tempted by this nice little catch (in a Timer Ball):

Cobalion - Rash
HP: 25
Atk: 29
Def: 20
SpA: 27
SpD: 1 !
Spe: 31

I think I'll just go with it... Don't plan on using it competitively and I should really save my patience for SRing Virizion for WiFi use. Just annoying, that SpD couldn't be worse yet all the other stats are so juicy........

Yeah...Cobalion is kind of a lame duck imo...then again, that could be said for Vizirion as well, only Terrakion and Keldeo really stand out since they have the immediate supporting attack stats to hit hard right away, whereas Cobalion and Vizirion are definitely more setup reliant.

I actually think Virizion is the best of the trio due to its ability to wreck rain and sand. Never played dream world so I can't comment on Keldio.

Anyway:

Venonat - #048 (Modest) : 31 / 11 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 30 - 31

kekekekeke

Only took two days for that one. This and the Deino are the second and third best pokemon I ever hatched. It only took a few days for each one, which is why it's confusing that it took me a week and a half to hatch that comparatively sucky Cottonee, but oh well. The Hydreigon, Reuniclus, Venomoth, Whimsicott and Conkeldurr I hatched are all good enough for competition. On to Volcarona, then I think i'm done breeding until some female dream world stuff comes out.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
Previous episodes.

Team at the end of previous episode:

Ernest - Lv 20 - Flame Charge, Rock Smash
Chelsea - Lv 18 - Low Kick
Sonny - Lv 18 - Low Sweep
Terence - Lv 18 - Vital Throw

Wow, it's been quite some time. I suspect that when I reach Black City, it's going to be completely deserted. Again. But I digress.

Episode 3: Normal Gym -> Bug Gym

As expected, Pinwheel Forest was a little hard for my team; whilst the grunts were defeated by Terence & Sonny, Ernest got rid of absolutely everything else. This, of course, caused him to level up at a faster rate than the rest of the team.

Reached Castelia City, and went for Zorua and Victini. I did everything that could be done outside the Gym, except get the cone since it's winter. After everything was done and the Gym was accessible, it was time to change the team for it. And a lot of grinding and loving begun.

I notice that, again, my team is incomplete. Let's hope this doesn't become the norm, shall we? Time for the Gym:

Sean - Lv 23 - Air Cutter
Valeria - Lv 23 - Confusion
Gregory - Lv 23 - Rock Blast, Smack Down
Ernest - Lv 25 - Flame Charge, Rock Smash, Rollout
Zachary - Lv 16 - (Benched, holding Exp. Share)

It was quick and painless. Each one took 2 Pokémon out, whilst Valeria and Ernest had to take on a third Pokémon each. It was nothing of consequence. The recently acquired Amulet Coin was rotated between active members to maximize gain from the clowns. Burgh tried to stall his demise by using Sand-Attack; it only bought him a single turn.

After the Gym, Ernest was the only one of the main team to gain a level. On the other hand, Zachary jumped all the way to Lv 20.

Will my team manage to reach the Electric Gym sometime this month? I sincerely hope so.

Posting to say, how unbelievably hard it is to drift off from the ingame, there is so much to do. I told myself that after I beat the game, its straight to competitive, but here is so much to do, and so many options, it really gives a sense that your working towards your goal. For example my ingame dragon team, was not possible in Gen IV, but now, I have 4 good levelled dragon pokemon. With the next two easily obtained and trained, due to great exp curve.
My last team, that I will use to pseudo-nuzlocke* the elite 4 second time, Alder, GAMEFREAK, and Cynthia will be:
My team (even though you dont care)

Altaria @ Light Clay (If possible)
~Dragon Dance
~Protect
~Cotton Guard
~Dragon Claw

Druggidon
~Draco Meteor
~Outrage
~Earthquake
~Superpower

Hydreigon
~Draco Meteor
~Flamethrower
~Surf
~Tri Attack

Dragonite
~Draco Meteor
~Thunderbolt
~Flamethrower
~Ice Beam

Kingdra
~Surf
~Dragon Pulse
~Draco Meteor
~Double Team

Garchomp
~Swords Dance
~Dual Chop
~Earthquake
~Posion Jab/Aerial Ace/Substitute

I know some of these are just uncompetitive, but I want to try something new, and more importantly fun (Double Team is fun, you know it is)

*pseudo-nuzlocke, is where I dont take any revives into the Elite 4, so when I verse the Elite 4, my max items will be 5 Hyper Potions, nothing else. Obviously when I get past Alder, I can heal, for the final battle against Cynthia and GAMEFREAK Morimoto
Also which would add more drama to battle last, Gamefreak Morimoto or Cynthia

I think Cynthia's tougher. I crushed Morimoto with just a Boldore and a HM Slave Dragonite (Waterfall/Fly/Surf/Dive), at about level 70 and 75. OK so I used a few healing items, but not loads. Pretty sure I couldn't have done the same to Cynthia.

Morimoto gets raped quite easily by Volcarona. :/

His lead is great set-up fodder, where afterwards Heat Wave + Bug Buzz destroy the rest.

EDIT: FUCK NINJA'D

So, what's the deal with Abra girl? If you go to Marvelous Bridge, at the right hand side, you'll find a man, and sometimes a girl standing next to him. If you approach the girl she vanishes, shocking the man; and old woman in the gate next to you then explains that before the bridge was built, a girl used to play here with her Abra.

Is there anything more you can do with this? Or is it just a random one time event for fun? And is the girl a ghost, or just teleported away with her Abra, or what?

I like the Patrat show further along the bridge. And the people who moved into their old house complaining about/enjoying the Patrat smell was pretty funny.

Sigh... after adjusting my DS for Daylight Saving time, all the grass in my White Forest vanished. And I don't know anyone with Pokémon Black. :(

Does anyone know how the occupancy in White Forest is computed? I've read several times that changing the DS clock can completely mess up the number of grass patches. I just restarted my game and I'm trying to do a speed run but I'm not sure how soon I need to finish it to get max occupancy.

Both Morimoto and Cynthia get raped by a Quiver Dancer anyway, they both lead with setup fodder.
If you send a Quiver Dancer out against Cynthia she just starts Double Teaming.
She literally forced me to use an elixir on my Volcarona because I was pressure-stalled out of PP before I hit her.

Does anyone know how the occupancy in White Forest is computed? I've read several times that changing the DS clock can completely mess up the number of grass patches. I just restarted my game and I'm trying to do a speed run but I'm not sure how soon I need to finish it to get max occupancy.
Do it in one day.

Like, start at 12 AM, finish by 10 PM. Ample time for you to run to White Forest and talk to everyone to keep them happy.

Alternatively, you can get these people back with a Black file, just Entralink with your Pokemon Black if you have it and speak to the peeps in Black City. A clone of themselves will appear in White Forest.

My Black city is quickly emptying... sigh. Guess I'll have to wait until I get a 3DS and White in order to Entralink and get them all back again.

Given up on Volcarona for a while, going to go back to it later and not bother with HP Rock. I'll just teach it Psychic instead.

I'm hatching Feebas now, both parents have a 31 Defense IV which is a great start. Just need to get one Bold one now.

You just need to battle them every single day.

From what I rmb from Serebii,

there is a counter for these trainers and if it hits 0 the trainers disappear.

Every day, counter decrease by 5.
Entering BC/WF increases counter by 3.
Talking to WF people increases counter by 10.
Battling BC people increases counter by 7(prolly since you get EXP anyway).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)