Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Read FAQ in First Post Before Asking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi :D I'm new here, and to the metagame of pokemon in general. I have a few questions that are probably stupid:

1. How do you get dream world ability pokemon?

2. Are they legal in standard battles, or are there special DW tiers? Things like contrary serperior or shadow tag chandelure look kinda OP.

3. How do I know what moves are legal with what abilities? For example, is it legal to have an Espeon with Magic Bounce ability that knows Moonlight, Light Screen, and Reflect?

4.Is pokesav legal? I've EV'd and leveled a couple pokemon the normal way and it's taken FOREVER.

5. How do you get legendaries with the IVs and abilities you want? Is there any way besides just catching, checking, then turning off the game and doing it again? What about roaming ones that get their abilities determined early on?

Sorry for all the probably dumb questions, and thanks in advance if anyone answers :D!!

Hi :D I'm new here, and to the metagame of pokemon in general. I have a few questions that are probably stupid:

2. Are they legal in standard battles, or are there special DW tiers? Things like contrary serperior or shadow tag chandelure look kinda OP.

3. How do I know what moves are legal with what abilities? For example, is it legal to have an Espeon with Magic Bounce ability that knows Moonlight, Light Screen, and Reflect?

4.Is pokesav legal? I've EV'd and leveled a couple pokemon the normal way and it's taken FOREVER.

5. How do you get legendaries with the IVs and abilities you want? Is there any way besides just catching, checking, then turning off the game and doing it again? What about roaming ones that get their abilities determined early on?

Sorry for all the probably dumb questions, and thanks in advance if anyone answers :D!!
You can get them by playing in the pokemon dream world, or by trading for copies that other people already have. Dream World abilities can be passed down by breeding if your DW parent is female.

For the most part, anything that's been released is legal in OU, though look for additional confirmation since I pretty much just play VGC. Shadow Tag Chandelure and Contrary Serperior have not been officially released in the dream world and as such is not legal except in specified DW tiers.

Anything that can be bred onto a pokemon in Gen V is legal with DW abilities since DW abilities get passed down by the female and moves get passed by the male.

Don't use pokesav. Use vitamins, get the power items from battle subway for faster EVing, and if you don't have pokerus yet ask someone on here for it. Between the two you can get 10 (or more) EVs per kill, which means you shouldn't need to kill more than 30 or so pokemon to full EV train someone after you've maxed them out on vitamins.

For legendaries, read up on RNG abuse. Look in the WiFi forum for the general RNG help thread.

====

Now that that's answered: Can someone give a rough list of released DW pokemon with good/useful hidden abilities for competitive play? I'm trying to collect some females to breed once VGC season is over. So far I've got a Dratini, Vulpix, Politoed, Gliscor, Magikarp, Carvanha, and Eevee. What else is worth picking up?

By playing in the dream world and befriending pokemon. You do this by accessing the Global Link through the C-gear and the global link on a computer.

Released Pokemon are legal in standard battles (you can find the list stickied in this forum). Unreleased ones can be used in the Dream World Tier.

Any move that can't be obtained using purely gen 5 can't be used. Any egg moves on pokemon that were released solely as male can't be used. I suggest using Veekun for this info.

If the pokemon is legal most people will be find with battling you, however I don't think you can use it in official VGC tournaments.

RNG is the best way of getting legends. Roaming legends can be killed and are respawned with different IVS and natures after beating the E4.

EDIT: Ninja'ed

Hey I'm not to sure if this was already asked.(It's also not to serious) I have lurked the forums for a very long time and have seen no word of this question sooooo........

Is there any plans for Smogon to move the GenV info onto the rest of the site like the Gen I-IV information or are we looking at it staying in the forums for quite some time.

Carracosta attacking lead or cloyster attacking lead? Who's better at OU, and why? Thanks.

PS: Carracosta has more atk... and it also knows shell smash

By playing in the dream world and befriending pokemon. You do this by accessing the Global Link through the C-gear and the global link on a computer.

EDIT: Ninja'ed
You can get them by playing in the pokemon dream world, or by trading for copies that other people already have. Dream World abilities can be passed down by breeding if your DW parent is female.

?
You guys are amazing, thanks a ton :D

I'm looking to make a Battle Subway team with Machamp, Offensive swords dance Scizor and Heatran. However, I only have the Quiet Eruption Heatran. Does anyone have a suggested EV spread for this Heatran, as it won't be taking advantage of TR?
Assuming it is going to be scarfed and it has 31 Speed IV, then you should probably just run max speed to get 116 -> 174 speed, which outspeeds one of the dugtrios (172 Speed) and all of the Mienshaos (172 Speed) and all Garchomps (169 Speed) except the scarf one, as well as all Landorus (168 Speed) and all Flygons (167 Speed)... All of those have STAB ground / fighting moves that will really hurt Heatran, of course.

If you aren't giving it a scarf, then look into the Battle Subway pokemon list yourself and determine which threats are most threatening for your team, since Heatran isn't going to handle everything, so what speed it needs is quite dependent on its teammates.

Max SpA and whatever leftover EVs (after Speed is taken care of) going in some defenses... that should be straightforward.

Carracosta attacking lead or cloyster attacking lead? Who's better at OU, and why? Thanks.

PS: Carracosta has more atk... and it also knows shell smash
Cloyster. It may have less attack, but it gets STAB Skill Link Ice Spear, which can come in handy against the likes of Latios, Garchomp, Gliscor, ect., and has great coverage along with Rock Blast.

Out of Dragonite and Salamence, who is the better Dragon Dancer?
If it helps, this Dragon is being paired with SpD Jirachi.
Salamence has Intimidate and a lot of Speed on Dragonite, so once Salamence is set up it's a lot harder to hit because it can outspeed opposing Pokemon easier. However, if you do hit it, it has a greater chance of being KO'd. Salamence is still rather bulky though.
Dragonite on the other hand is slower, but it is very bulky with Multiscale and this allows it to set up easier.

Both have access to Roost, and identical typing.

So, who is the better Dragon Dancer?

Thanks for reading, any help would be appreciated

Out of Dragonite and Salamence, who is the better Dragon Dancer?
If it helps, this Dragon is being paired with SpD Jirachi.
Salamence has Intimidate and a lot of Speed on Dragonite, so once Salamence is set up it's a lot harder to hit. However, if you do hit it, it has a greater chance of being KO'd. Salamence is still rather bulky though.
Dragonite on the other hand is slower, but it is very bulky with Multiscale and this allows it to set up easier.

So, who is the better Dragon Dancer?

Thanks for reading
Personally, it is definitely Dragonite, with MultiScale, it's almost guaranteed to get in a Dragon Dance.

Personally, it is definitely Dragonite, with MultiScale, it's almost guaranteed to get in a Dragon Dance.
Thank you. Any other thougts?

On DD Mence should I run Roost or Fire Blast? I'm thinking Roost because of LO recoil, Sandstorm and Stealth Rock. Is Fire Blast crucial to DD Mences success or anything?
And.. Dragon Claw or Outrage on a DD Mence?

How many pokes can I catch in Dream World in a day? Because I can't go to the dream island once I have befriend one poke, so I'm forced to wake up my pokémon, meaning I can't return to dream world till the next day.

Your only allowed 1 per day. You can complete as many minigames as you want if you don't select one to take back with you, but you can select one per day.

what is the easiest way to find a UU wifi battle?
In wi-fi subforums you should look for a thread called "battle me". After reading the First post and all the rules you can post asking for a UU match.

Hey I'm not to sure if this was already asked.(It's also not to serious) I have lurked the forums for a very long time and have seen no word of this question sooooo........

Is there any plans for Smogon to move the GenV info onto the rest of the site like the Gen I-IV information or are we looking at it staying in the forums for quite some time.
Yes there is, we are probably waiting the usage stats been more solid and QC finish at least all the OU poke analysis, before start uploading in the main site.

wondering why latios isn't getting as much attention as garchomp
(e.g. ive even heard garchomp being a suspect but not latios)

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Generally Latios is a kind of 'hit it and quit it' type of pokemon. It comes in and fires off one super strong attack, but then generally becomes set-up bait. Which in this fast paced metagame is something no one wants to have.

Garchomp, on the other hand, can sweep teams very easily, simply set up and go, with very few counters. It'd be a rare sight for a sweeper to come in on a Garchomp feeling like it was safe to set-up.

Hey Smogonites. I am ExquisiteZero on the forums and Charge in the Smogon server on PO. Well, some of you might know me but yeah. I am looking for some tips to build a team. I have built numerous teams and none of them truly worked for me.

So, hos do I actually build one that could actually work? Picking 3 pokemon that work together and form a core? I don't know. My team looks good on paper but did badly in actual battles. I always think that offense is my style. I tried a stall team but it too, didn't work too well. Is it because of the way I play? I am quite new to the competitive scene and thus I might be lacking experience.

So here are some the things I would probably want. I know that I would probably want a DDTar but then, its ruined by all the priority moves in the game. And I always have problem making use of the synergy in my team. Any advice?

What do you think is the best Pokemon currently in OU?
My vote is easily on Jirachi, I just want to hear what other people think.
I think its Jirachi because it is an incredible team supporter, but also a moderately powerful sweeper.
I'm not asking for most powerful, just best. So it could vary from something like Garchomp, to something like Blissey. I just wanna hear some opinions.

best...best...
im going to say garchomp is one of the most, if not the most, influential mon in the current meta...often followed by its possible candidacy as a future suspect

What do you think is the best Pokemon currently in OU?
My vote is easily on Jirachi, I just want to hear what other people think.
I think its Jirachi because it is an incredible team supporter, but also a moderately powerful sweeper.
I'm not asking for most powerful, just best. So it could vary from something like Garchomp, to something like Blissey. I just wanna hear some opinions.
garchomp
standard offensive sub+sd set alone is one of the most centralizing set of the current meta (even in dw)...might even be THE most centralizing set

dw chandelure and ferrothorn are also awesome in their own rights

Garchomp ehh? No one thinks Excadrill or Latios might be? Maybe Tyranitar? I, stubbornly, stand by my original opinion :P I love Jirachi!

Garchomp ehh? No one thinks Excadrill or Latios might be? Maybe Tyranitar? I, stubbornly, stand by my original opinion :P I love Jirachi!
I feel like Excadrill gets checked by one too many 'mons. He has a vulnerability to Ground, Fighting and Fire, which are pretty common in the current metagame. Especially with Hydreigons able to freely switch in on EQ's, and Excadrill's inherent weakness to a team with superior weather control, I don't feel like Excadrill would fit under the 'best'. He's good, and forces 'mons to counter him, and, left unchecked, can wipe out teams with ease, but he has his fair share of weaknesses.

Latios, like someone said before, becomes set-up bait.

Hmm. Interesting, makes perfect sense. I personally don't like Excadrill -_-
What about Calm Mind Latios? I don't see why that doesn't get more usage.
And am I the only who thinks Jirachi is #1? :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)