Poll: Would you still play in Smogon's OU if all perma-weather was banned?

Would you still play in Smogon's OU if all perma-weather was banned?

• Total voters
It would be like christmas in June if auto-weather got banned. No more sand veil hax. No more having slowbro 2hkoed by darmanitan. No more having blissey 2hkoed (after SR) by specs rotom-w. I woulden't have to see exadrills ugly face anymore(even though he is really managable). Honestly though the issue of if we should try to create a clear skies metagame as OU or if we should try to bog down the most powerful or dominating aspects of each weather(Swift Swim, Sand Veil Garchomp, ect...) untill we get a balanced weather metagame, is the most pressing and difficult to answer problem we have. I personally hate the weather wars with a burning passion. I hate how it makes things outspeed scarfers. I hate how it makes things hit like nukes. I hate how it makes specs tornadus, the most retarded set alive, not only viable, but able to make the cut for OU(barley). I hate how it means whenever my T-tar pursuits a ninetales it is basicly gg right there. So yes I would still play smogon's OU if perma-weather was banned.

Regardless of what the metagame is like, Smogon is the only place I'm actually challenged while laddering. I'd keep playing no matter what it was like, really.
This.
But I dont want the weathers gone...

EDIT: Wait... If they ban Sandstream, then nobody can use Ttar / Hippo at all, no?

I thought this poll was talking about an alternative tier, not banning weather in OU. Proposing a full weather ban in the standard OU metagame is just stupid, but the tier option should exist for players who would enjoy it more, since it's already seen sizable support as a concept and has already been shown to have a decent-sized player base with the Clear Skies tier on the beta server.
It's not, the idea refers to the main OU meta. There's not going to be an alternative clear skies on here

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The better question is "Will you still play in Smogon's OU if all perma-weathers are still around three Suspect periods from now?" I say this because a major complaint about OU has always been the extent to which good teams tend to be cookie-cutter, and Weather teams exemplify this to the nth degree.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
To answer reach's question: Yes, I would still play if weather remains around, because I do happen to enjoy weather wars and I think that's what defines BW.

However I'm not too unaccepting of a full weather ban as long as they do not separate.

The better question is "Will you still play in Smogon's OU if all perma-weathers are still around three Suspect periods from now?" I say this because a major complaint about OU has always been the extent to which good teams tend to be cookie-cutter, and Weather teams exemplify this to the nth degree.
Probably not. I find myself hardpressed to try out my new team now because of weather. It's just way to unfair. If weather continues to stay around in OU I really find no point in staying. I'm pretty sure alot of people would agree with me on that one.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
I voted other.

I am over all disappointed with how the community has decided to ditch the idea of weather. I really enjoyed the idea of this generation having a thriving weather presence. I also never had problems with any specific weather. I feel that the community is whining too much and are much more willing to go back to what 4th gen was like, except with the introduction of a bunch of new pokemon.

That said, I would stick with Smogon, regardless. I have been following Smogon since 2007.

The "Other" that I voted for was in hope that if weather is banned, a separate tier could be formed in addition to this, one with weather, one with out. Much like clear skies, except opposite, obviously, as weatherless would most likely be the dominant tier.

Edit: In addition to this. I definitely feel that if 1 weather goes, all weather should go. I am not in the mood to have sun or sand dominate.
If a problem is so big that it actually is worth of creating 2 separate OU tiers, what does that tell you...?

I'd love to play with only Traditional Weather. Perma's always been a little much.

My troll team could probably thrive better if permaweather was banned. While it doesn't mind rain teams and trolls sun teams somewhat well, it struggles against Hail teams and is hopeless against Sandstorm teams.
Your troll team isn't a bunch of Lvl 1s with FS or sturdy with endeavor shenanigns, are they? ;0.

Probably not. I find myself hardpressed to try out my new team now because of weather. It's just way to unfair. If weather continues to stay around in OU I really find no point in staying. I'm pretty sure alot of people would agree with me on that one.
I would be one of those. That's why when UU was released, I pretty much jumped ship. I only have one OU team and it is just a cookie cutter rain team, since my favorite pokes are the genies and conkle (conkledurr is my one point of originality).

Your troll team isn't a bunch of Lvl 1s with FS or sturdy with endeavor shenanigns, are they? ;0.
Nope, they're a bunch of sub-OU gimmicks and two OU support Pokémon who don't look like support Pokemon at first glance. The team was meant to just be for fun, but surprisingly, they just worked! (see my sig)

The better question is "Will you still play in Smogon's OU if all perma-weathers are still around three Suspect periods from now?"
I absolutely cannot imagine staying on board for 3 more suspect rounds with all weathers still in play(by all weathers I really mean sand, sun, and rain like most other discussions but I'd probably want hail gone on principle). Making teams for OU usually gets me this feeling of poke-depression where I make a weatherless team/try something new and either get ripped to shreds or just close team-builder with a "Fuck it".

Whoops, I clicked the wrong one.

I wanted to click other, because, frankly, it would depend on what happens in the metagame afterwards, and, the effects of the lack of weather on UU and RU.

I went with other. I would mostly play in a clear skies tier, but I don't mind weather wars when I'm playing with sun.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'd stop playing OU if we really were to ban Weather just because "we don't like it". Now, if we decide every weather is broken and thus ban all of them then yeah, why not.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
I play Black Ops with guns that aren't the famas and I do pretty well thank you very much.

On topic, I probably would because there really isn't anywhere else to go where its actually satisfying to score wins against my opponent. I do not want weather banned, and I feel as if the reasoning for banning it simply comes from not liking it in the metagame, rather than it being broken. I currently have fun testing out strategies in both weather and non-weather teams and I find myself playing better than I did in fourth gen! Why? Because the weather metagame has forced me to play more strategically and pay attention to how my opponent plays, so that I may outplay him and win the match.

So I would still play if everything was banned. If only on e or two weather abilities were banned, I'd want to jump ship just like I did after the Mence ban. And RaRaRabbit, Hippo has a DW ability.

I will keep on playing on the OU ladder, but if there would be an OU ladder with weather, I would definitely go for it too.

All the removal of weather will do is force us to go back to the 4th gen metagame with 5th gen pokes and make MANY pokes UU/NU like Excadrill or Venusaur.

I think it's kinda unfair even considering getting rid of weather. Weather is another way of play, you use it or you don't, if you don't and you find yourself coming across more, then have a counter. It's like (but not the same) as every other big thing that comes with a new metagame. Last gen we had Heatran and Scizor, and they. Tore. Shit. Up. But people would throw in Magnezone for counters sake and the like.
Weather, sure, rain is the most broken out of the lot, working with Swift Swimmers, Hydration Vaporeon and 100% acc. Thunder and increased Water-power, weaker Fire, but with Politoed banned with Swift Swimmers (which I'm against) you still have to spend a turn to set up rain for a Swift Swim team.

Sun is cool, but doesn't offer as much, increased Fire-power, weaker Water and 1-turn SolarBeam. This used to be a gimmick, and frankly still kinda is, we just have more who can use the sun.

And sand. The bitch of last gen. The reason we ran Leftovers on nearly everything and their Mother. Does damage, increases Rock Sp.Def by 50%, and allows Garchomp to hax out and evade a move or two.

Finally, Hail. 100% Blizzard, and damage each turn. The worst of them IMO. Abomasnow is rarely used, but when it is I can't really say its uncounterable, even without prepping for one.

Considering the majority of Smogon wants weather gone, I can kinda see that those players against weather won't be running weather-teams, with perhaps a few exceptions.

The way I see it weather is a play style, much like people like to use Parahax for a team strategy, it's annoying and some consider it a gimmick, but it gets wins, and it loses.
Perma-weather teams aren't really a problem for me, and I'm really confused as to why it is such a big deal. Don't like it, don't use it. Hate seeing it, run a counter, just like we did last gen. Ninetales , Politoed, Tyranitar and Hippowdon and not that broken.
People are having fun with it, so just because some people can't hack a loss to weather they want it gone.

I am not a weather user, and weather is annoyingly good, but we all know its not really broken. Oh Noes Politoed! Yeah, Toed+S.Swim banned. Tyranitar? We dealt with him before. Ninetales? Big whoop we all run EQ, and Stealth Rock is still a bitch to Fires.
Hail? Please.

I'm for perma-weather NOT being banned, because I think it's unfair. It's not hax, never will be.

(Sorry for the rant, I've had a lot of coffee this afternoon -.-)

We need numbers.
Fair enough I knew that would be the issue. It's common sense, but yes we need numbers. The only ones I can offer are the number of people who would continue to play Smogon OU University with weather gone, compared to the numbers of those who, in a nutshell, still wanna play weather.
And thats in this very poll above.
Yes I know further more would need to be taken, but perhaps a poll can be opened for this very subject.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Fair enough I knew that would be the issue. It's common sense, but yes we need numbers. The only ones I can offer are the number of people who would continue to play Smogon OU University with weather gone, compared to the numbers of those who, in a nutshell, still wanna play weather.
And thats in this very poll above.
Yes I know further more would need to be taken, but perhaps a poll can be opened for this very subject.
That is rather unrepresentative as the poll only asks whether you would continue to play OU if weather were banned, saying nothing about preferring non-weather to weather.

For myself I would continue to play OU but under duress as I believe the metagame is better with weather, more fun with weather and if the dominant strateies this generation are weather based I see nothing wrong with that. The only appeal I see of having a weaterless metagame is the ability to play with a troll team of ones "favourites".

Also I still maintain that banning weather will lead to further bans as it is my prediction that after banning weather dragons will become ban worthy leading to pokemon like Reuniclus, Conkeldurr and Terakion becoming ban worthy, this only exacerbated by the further trend towards banhappiness a banning of weather would bring.

That is rather unrepresentative as the poll only asks whether you would continue to play OU if weather were banned, saying nothing about preferring non-weather to weather.

For myself I would continue to play OU but under duress as I believe the metagame is better with weather, more fun with weather and if the dominant strateies this generation are weather based I see nothing wrong with that. The only appeal I see of having a weaterless metagame is the ability to play with a troll team of ones "favourites".

Also I still maintain that banning weather will lead to further bans as it is my prediction that after banning weather dragons will become ban worthy leading to pokemon like Reuniclus, Conkeldurr and Terakion becoming ban worthy, this only exacerbated by the further trend towards banhappiness a banning of weather would bring.
Truth. It will put us back in where we were at during 4th gen (minus sand). Making Latios, Garchomp, Latias all ban worthy. Of course, we will never know until something like this happens. But still a worry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)