Poll: Would you still play in Smogon's OU if all perma-weather was banned?

Would you still play in Smogon's OU if all perma-weather was banned?

• Total voters

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
I have to say, banning something because you don't like it seems like the wrong way to go. It sets up a precedence to where you end up with kakuna v. metapod battles.
Grammatical corrections aside, I agree completely. I would hate to ban weather because I love my Tyranitar, and Unnerve is basically useless. As for whether I would move... I don't know. It depends entirely on how lazy I was feeling at the moment.

Speaking of bans, actual or potential, most of the bans outside the whole Uber system don't make much sense. If something seems OP, the best course of action to take is to figure out how to counter it. Then they need something to counter that, and you hit back, and so on. I believe I speak for a fair number of us when I state that we want an evolving meta, not a devolving one.

...And no, I am not just advocating for my own things. I don't have a Drizzle/Swift Swim team or anything else that's currently banned. I don't particularly want many (if any) of the things that are currently banned. I oppose the ban-happy state of affairs on principle.

Originally Posted by Fat Bruteboii
The way I see it weather is a play style, much like people like to use Parahax for a team strategy, it's annoying and some consider it a gimmick, but it gets wins, and it loses.
Perma-weather teams aren't really a problem for me, and I'm really confused as to why it is such a big deal. Don't like it, don't use it. Hate seeing it, run a counter, just like we did last gen. Ninetales , Politoed, Tyranitar and Hippowdon and not that broken.
People are having fun with it, so just because some people can't hack a loss to weather they want it gone.
As far as i see B/W is based around weather, this is not 4th gen, Weather isn't broken so just adapt.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I went with "other". If a non-broken aspect of the metagame was banned from standard play just because people are whining about overcentralization, I would seriously doubt Smogon's legitimacy as the premier competitive Pokmeon community. It would confirm the suspicion that Smogon is too ban-happy and though the quality of players on Smogon is pretty high, their ability to create a metagame would be severely lacking.

I would try to convince Smogon to bring weather back, but probably still play OU because of the generally skillful player base.

The difference between weather and another strategy like building a team arou d paralysis is that weather is so good that you are quite literally handicapping yourself by not using it. Yes, weatherless teams can be built. However, I've been asking a few top-fify players to get more of an insight, and I'm yet to find a single person who has seen a top fifty team that isn't running either weather, or Dual Screens; the reason being that in order to compete with the sheer power that a well-built weather team affords, you pretty much NEED Dual Screens, so that you can find the setup oppurtunities non-weather Pokemon need to become on par with weather sweepers. Look at Tyranitar. from the usage statistics, we can assume that it is the best Pokemon in current OU. Is everybody using Tyranitar because the most threatening sweepers only work under sand? No. Everybody is using Tyranitar because in this metagame, running your own inducer is far, far easier than trying to cover every Pokemon inside favourable weather. For that reason, I think the big five are broken. They are the best utility checks in existence, because taking a Pokemon out of it's favourable weather will instantly make it less good. Yes, there are very potent Pokemon who don't need any specific weather to be effective. But I can't think of any Pokemon in the top twenty-five that doesn't get a boost from some form of weather, even if that is just a case of being more effectively able to stall out Pokemon which normally give them difficulty. In addition, they become so integral to your team strategy that often, winning without your own is extremey difficult - and this shifts Pokemon away from what it is. Battles don't boil down to killing all six of your opponents Pokemon, they're about killing your opponents inducer before yours dies and sweeping through the rest of their crippled team with threatening Pokemon.

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
As far as i see B/W is based around weather, this is not 4th gen, Weather isn't broken so just adapt.
See I have a serious issue with this main argument I keep seeing from people. Acting like every person wanting to ban weather wants to go back to 4th gen is basically dismissing it without even thinking. If it were up to me I'd start with banning Drizzle and work from there, but it's not going back to 4th gen if the reason is that people think weather is broken. I think Drizzle is, and Sand Stream is borderline, but trying to say "banning weather is just people wishing it was the past" is ignoring a ton of the people wanting a ban.

This poll's question isn't really asked correctly.. or determining anything.

But I say yes. [posting to be accounted for]

If weather was banned i would play mostly at smogon's server.IMO weather makes the metagame to complicated and too random with all this pokemon which you must counter but would never be a threat without weather.But i think they shouldn't ban weather but just Drought,Drizzle,Sandstream + Sand Rush.Just think of this metagame ;)

This poll's question isn't really asked correctly.. or determining anything.

But I say yes. [posting to be accounted for]
Good point. Most of us are willing to keep playing even under what we believe are bad bans (Brightpowder/lax incense/drizzle+swift swim). Either way it's starting to show the minority so in love with weather they would stop playing b/c of it, versus the majority, mixed opinions on benefit/detriment of weather overall but would stick with Smogon regardless. Either way, at least guilt over players leaving isn't an excuse for not voting against banning all weather.

I would prefer it, but not hail. Hail should be excluded simply because it doesn't contribute to the weather wars at all

Lol, I meant to vote other. Oops.

Anyway, I bet nobody would be wanting Sand/Hail to be banned if Drizzle Politoed and Drought Ninetales weren't made in the first place.

I would probably stop playing OU if weather was banned. I've never used a weather team in my life. Never even used T-tar or hippo. But I, above all want to play the game it was intended to be played. I think weather is less influential to this game then things like entry hazards.

I can see myself stopping and then coming back because no other server has the quality of battling that smogon has. But I do think banning all weather would be a stubborn and immature decision.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
I personally wouldn't want permanent weather banned, because it would mean that certain pokemon (like tyranitar) wouldn't be allowed.

I'd probably stop playing, only because I use a Hail team >.>

Can Hail be excluded from the hypothetical weather ban? It's not exactly open to abuse like the other weathers are, Hail is the neglected little brother of weather.

Truth. It will put us back in where we were at during 4th gen (minus sand). Making Latios, Garchomp, Latias all ban worthy. Of course, we will never know until something like this happens. But still a worry.
Very true. Ban leads to ban leads to ban. OR we just stick with what we're given and play our cards how we want.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Also, it doesn't matter if the metagame is "more enjoyable" or any of that crap. If nothing's broken but the metagame "sucks", tough luck. We're not trying to shape a meta that pleases the suspect voters, we're here to create a metagame with balance.

Very true. Ban leads to ban leads to ban. OR we just stick with what we're given and play our cards how we want.
Edit: And just to think last gen we wanted Stealth Rock banned >.<
I don't think people want to get rid of weather to replay 4th gen. People adapt, like we have for years. This gen has only gone and given us more toys, but just because some people don't like those toys, does that mean you should throw them away? People want to have a play too.

Aswell, I know Hail sucks compared to its brethren, but just for the moral idea it shouldn't be excluded. (Although, it's only decent user is Abomasnow... hmm, maybe...) People want different things. I vote keep it the same. No bans, but keep Manaphy Uber XP

Edit: Didn't mean to quote myself, sorry :S

I definitely would, but I would like to suggest making a separate mode with weather, kind of like having the Dream World thing. That way, those who want to play weather once in a while still have the option to.

Also, it doesn't matter if the metagame is "more enjoyable" or any of that crap. If nothing's broken but the metagame "sucks", tough luck. We're not trying to shape a meta that pleases the suspect voters, we're here to create a metagame with balance.
I wasn't gonna post on this thread in response to people's person opinion but this post really made me lol. What we're trying to do is make the game enjoyable to the majority of people. That's why we have all these bans. A balanced metagame that's not enjoyable is not what people want. You seem to have forgotten that we're playing a game. If nobody has fun, nobody will play.

I wasn't gonna post on this thread in response to people's person opinion but this post really made me lol. What we're trying to do is make the game enjoyable to the majority of people. That's why we have all these bans. A balanced metagame that's not enjoyable is not what people want. You seem to have forgotten that we're playing a game. If nobody has fun, nobody will play.
Then don't play Pokémon :S People do enjoy it, that's why we're here, and it looks like if nothing was banned, we'd still play.
You are right it is all very opinionated, but I reckon we'd still play, and the post before was correct, we don't want to mould a new game, we want what we have.
Again, this is another opinion. We can't win really :S

Then don't play Pokémon :S People do enjoy it, that's why we're here, and it looks like if nothing was banned, we'd still play.
You are right it is all very opinionated, but I reckon we'd still play, and the post before was correct, we don't want to mould a new game, we want what we have.
Again, this is another opinion. We can't win really :S
I understand that some people will always play the game no matter what the metagame looks like however, DetroitLolCat made it sound like nobody cares how the metagame looks. That everyone would play no matter how it looked. Mabye some hardcore players think that way but most casual players who play to have fun would be gone if the metagame were boring. Not everyone plays a game to win.

what is the point of banning now that we have wheather wars we have to out smart people which is the point of the whole metagame the weather is basiclly the metagame why go back to gen IV when V is the present
dont think of the past think of the present think about how to dominate the current metagame game freak has given us the most chaotic gen yet and its our job to tame it and now that we are close people want to let go of the riens
instead of whining and complaing of wanting to go back to gen IV stickmto this gen or you could get at time machine and back in time (going back in time isnt possible becasue of parodoxs so deal with i !!!) I had weather a sands torm team and a drissle team but i prefer trying to outsmart weather teams and see their intresting stratiges like toxicorak and dry skin or my blastoise rain dish combo i like my regular team better than wheather so i would problly keep on playing in smogon and other websites

I understand that some people will always play the game no matter what the metagame looks like however, DetroitLolCat made it sound like nobody cares how the metagame looks. That everyone would play no matter how it looked. Mabye some hardcore players think that way but most casual players who play to have fun would be gone if the metagame were boring. Not everyone plays a game to win.
Very true. We all have an understanding that we want fun, obviously, its how people get that fun when they play the metagame. To be frank, if you don't like, leave, I think is how it always will be. If theres a change made, even if you don't like but play, then cool, but if ya don't like, don't play.

Not much point debating now really, as we can really only make a choice when it's given to us. And this thread is doing my nut in :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)