10/10 games

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
FF9 was an awesome game for years... then I realized that both Zidane and Kuja are dressed like David Bowie from Labyrinth. Now it's like, the fucking best.

I played the fuck out of dragon warrior monsters 2 as a kid, it pretty much defined my childhood, I can't believe I lost it
I also remember going to my friends house to play crash team racing, which was a great game

The Kingdom Hearts series as a whole is amazing, maybe CoM wasn't the best, but the rest are fantastic, especially the PS2 ones.
358/2 days was merely above average. The latest DS release was crap. I did enjoy BBS and the other games though.

I'm going to throw in a personal 10/10 in Rock Band (2) which basically became a party staple for a while until the video game industry milked the music genre dry.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Submitting halo CE. Great storyline, revolutionized fps, and comparing it to the other graphics of games released in 2001, had it not been for ocarina of time's existence I would personally submit halo CE for being the most revolutionizing game of all time.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Conker's Bad Fur Day: Rareware is my favorite game company, and this one takes the cake as the funniest. Seriously, it has that South Park feel. It feels like it was supposed to be for little kids, but then they start swearing and drinking and smoking. I like the boss battle against the giant piece of shit (The Great Mighty Poo).
It actually was supposed to be for kids, they had the entire game almost completed before they realized it was just another Banjo Kazooie, so they scrapped it and started over and made the masterpiece that exists today. I can't believe I didn't mention it in my post, easily one of the greatest games of all time.

many of my 10/10s have been brought up already but here's a list off the top of my head, i'll explain when i have more time

digimon world

monster rancher 2

mega man battle network 3

chrono cross

donkey kong country 2

super metroid

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Shoutouts for Super Metroid, FF6, Fire Emblem, SMB3/SMW, Smash series, Conker's BFD, ... but just going for things that haven't already been mentioned:

Final Fantasy Tactics - The only people that mentioned it didn't give it a real explanation or anything, so fuck them. >:o Oh wait, Synre beat me to posting but whatever still awesome game so it gets special mention. Exemplifies the strategy RPG. The gameplay is challenging the first time through (before you find out how to break everything), the secret dungeon is cool and there's a lot of fun character tweaking to be had. The story has all the murder and deception you could ever want and packages it into a believable struggle between opposing ideals.

Yeah, I'm awesome enough to not name anything unique, I think. It's on Page 4, what do you want me to do? :( Snowboard Kids? Not a "10/10" but a cute little snowboard racer, that's about the best I got of stuff that hasn't been mentioned.

This thread is full of games from the past 20 years; anyone who wants to play the old classics can find good examples here. But there are so many more. It's really easy to get into old music or get caught up in 100 years of movie history, but it takes alot of time and money to do the same thing with video games; but if a person cares to be a connoisseur of games, than at the least they should have played many of the games listed.
A little Internet-ing can easily find you ways to emulate almost anything that isn't current-gen. Even then it's pretty easy to crack the Wii and pirate PC games if you're not adverse to thievery.

oh yes, tripling that. i still play ctr today with my cousins, after years and years of racing. i know they made a sequel for the ps2 but i never got it for fear of disappointment

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I'm surprised people haven't noted any of the following yet (at least in the genre they fall under):

9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors~A phenomenal Visual Novel. Probably one of the best I've played/read ever. The logic is supreme when it came to the twists in the plot and it keeps you on the edge all of the time. Sure, there isn't much of "gameplay" to it, but thanks to the superb narration and ominous soundtrack, the hairs on your neck will not lay flat until at least 2 or so days after you have finished playing through the game.
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney~IMO, this is the first Visual Novel I have ever touched. Who'da thunk that a game about Defense Lawyers would be so badass?

Jak 3~I've seen some people saying Jak 2 was great. I am entirely in agreement with that. Jak 3 was phenomenal as well because you had more stuff you could do (drive dune buggies, and gun upgrades were cool as well). Jak and Daxter takes me way back, but it was a fun game as well. Honestly, the entire series was fantastic until Last Frontier came along...
Kingdom Hearts: BBS~Great game, beautiful graphics on the PSP, and the storyline wasn't too shabby. My only complaint (albeit it is a small one), is that level exploration is too long for what it's worth (they seem a tad empty, but otherwise this game stands out as being a great one).
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin~The change of pace from the original series to this one is one of the reasons why I love this game so much. The gameplay is fairly smoother than Dual Strike, not to mention much more balanced in terms of CO Abilities. I honestly am sad that they haven't done anything with AW in general in quite some time...

Jak 3~I've seen some people saying Jak 2 was great. I am entirely in agreement with that. Jak 3 was phenomenal as well because you had more stuff you could do (drive dune buggies, and gun upgrades were cool as well). Jak and Daxter takes me way back, but it was a fun game as well. Honestly, the entire series was fantastic until Last Frontier came along...
Jak 3 was pretty great, but it didn't really build on the previous game too much, and it wasn't nearly as difficult. But yeah, the two together are fucking amazing really, I especially enjoy the way the plot of the series links up.

Lost Frontier was pretty average, but the Eco Powers were enjoyable at least.
i know they made a sequel for the ps2 but i never got it for fear of disappointment
I've played it. It was fun, but looking back it was vastly inferior in most ways, especially the lack of awesome bosses from the early Crash Games (Ripper Roo ftw).

I've noticed a trend with Naughty Dog series. They tend to make three games, then make a racing spinoff before passing it off to another company.
Crash -> Crash 2 -> Warped -> Crash Team Racing -> Crash bash And Onwards
Jak and Daxter -> Jak II -> Jak 3 -> Jak X -> Lost Frontier
So you can imagine my prediction for the 4th Uncharted game...

Worth noting Jak X is a pretty epic game too.

Roy

streetpkmn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The game that has had the largest impact on me emotionally would have to be Zelda: Link's Awakening. While the actual gameplay and level designs were absolutely fantastic, what truly sets this game above any others I have ever played is its storyline. The surreal atmosphere Nintendo created in Link's Awakening struck a chord with me as a 6 year old and has ever since, whether through the soothing sounds of the instruments you collect or the mysterious owl who is supposedly guiding you as the game progresses. I still remember getting stuck before the 7th dungeon for 4 years (you had to move that windmill in the main town to awaken the rooster's spirit) only to finally figure that out on a trip to Sea World with my family 10 years ago.

Finally beating the game (again, I remember exactly where I was) and witnessing the incredible ending is something that I'll remember for the rest of my life. This game was everything and more than you could ask for, as well as nostalgia for me at its finest.

Dragon Warrior Monsters: another monster game I prefer to playing Pokemon with myself. Gameplay was a little limited and repetitive if I look at it objectively, but was always fun and addictive to me. Lots of complex breeding options to get the best monsters, which made putting effort in more rewarding than silly stuff like IVs in Pokemon. Shared a flaw with MR and Pokemon in that there was very little plot to speak of.
I played the fuck out of dragon warrior monsters 2 as a kid, it pretty much defined my childhood, I can't believe I lost it
I'm really glad these games were mentioned, because they are both amazing. Two of my favorite games of all time.

Most of the good stuff has been posted already, but I'd like to say I consider Pikmin 2 to be a 10/10 game. The first was already great, but there were a lot of flaws that were fixed with the sequel.

Most of my 10/10 games have already been mentioned: pokemon, LoZ:Lttp, Fire Emblem, SSB, Warcraft III, Final Fantasys, Chrono Trigger, Kingdom Hearts etc.

Surprising lack of Portal here. yes it may have been short, but during those few hours I spent playing it, I just loved it. Everything from the gameplay to the writing was pretty much perfect.

Persona 3 is another great game I find gets missed more often than it should. So many Personas to collect, side stories where you surprisingly end up caring about NPCs and a story line that doesn't try to hide death and the shitty parts of life.

The World Ends with You is the kind of game you would buy the DS just to play it. Fresh, fun battle system meant I was playing this game for hours just randomly killing stuff. The characters can be a bit cliche but then they just parody the shit out of it later on. The music might not be everyon'e cup of tea but I loved it, fits in great with the modern setting.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
Ultima Online - Can't say enough about what this game meant. Early and widely popular MMORPG which was different than most modern MMORPGs in that the entire world, sans the small city areas were PvP+. Monster AI always sucks, but when you're really only worried about your fellow gamer life is more interesting. Also had the concept of land/home ownership, which was huge. On interesting thing was that this game was eventually patched to shit, so it didn't end up as a 10/10 game, but it sure started there.
UO! Ahh, the memories. The first (and only) MMO I've ever played. The PvP had its flaws (they would eventually balance the broken shit, but then other broken shit would be added.) When I first started PvP'ing, it was 4/6 casting, then people discovered you could go to 5/6 casting...both of which could kill you before you could blink.

Despite all the broken shit that got added later (which would also get fixed), a vast majority of the PvP'ers on the server I played on were predominantly Mages. When we were fighting, it was all business, but when we weren't, we talked to each other like old friends, which we were. The bulk of the conversation took place on forums (shit-talking included), but we'd also talk about sports, politics, etc.

I enjoyed that so much. I've returned a few times - first time was for a month, I was extremely bored back in 2007. Ran into one of the aforementioned friends one day - he was on someone else's account, so I didn't know it was him. Did a little PvP'ing, but the game was so different. A lot of the people I knew from 2004-2005 (when I was arguably at my best) weren't around.

I came back again during a free return promo in...2009 I think; the game was DEAD. I hardly ran into anyone. Even the old PvP hotspots had nobody around, so I just killed monsters.

However, the monster AI was...rofl. Improvements were made, but they weren't enough, for the most part. I was able to easily solo practically everything. There are things (mostly boss-level monsters) that I couldn't, but those were meant to be taken down by groups anyway.

It definitely doesn't deserve a 10/10 anymore, but in the days before WoW? Easily, even with its flaws.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
A little Internet-ing can easily find you ways to emulate almost anything that isn't current-gen. Even then it's pretty easy to crack the Wii and pirate PC games if you're not adverse to thievery.
Time then? And how can someone call themselves a fine connoisseur if they avoid playing things with their original controller and console? Let alone if they don't have the decency to support developers for current games.

Throw in another vote for Crash Team Racing. Easily my favorite Kart racer, and most likely my favorite racing game of all time (there's a potential debate between CTR and Gran Turismo 3, but 9 times out of 10 CTR wins that hands down). 10/10 no question

I loved Jak 3, but Jak 2 was the much better game imo. Sure there was more stuff to do in 3, but honestly I felt that it would've been a better game with less vehicle missions and more real Jak missions (which 2 delivers on much better). Honestly I'd probably put Jak and Daxter over Jak 3 as well, but either way I agree that the whole series is fantastic (even Jak X to an extent, although not anywhere near as good as CTR). Never did play Last Frontier, though, and I don't have any plans on doing that anytime soon.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Time then? And how can someone call themselves a fine connoisseur if they avoid playing things with their original controller and console? Let alone if they don't have the decency to support developers for current games.
I don't see how that has anything to do with being a "connoisseur of games" or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)