10/10 games

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've had unprotected sex with strangers before, doesn't mean it was the right thing to do. Less fallacious arguments please. It's now easier than ever to play classic games while paying for them; and the retro games craze is booming. I emulated games when I was 10. Nigga please. Besides which I explicitly said current games.

A connoisseur is a person competent enough to pass critical judgments about art. Here's a critical judgment; though you and I are both libertarians, you are seriously fucked if you cling to some fantasy where you have all the right in the world to steal from game designers and that the only ones it will hurt is the major publishers like EA.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Super Mario Galaxy: This game made me fall in love with Nintendo again. After a string of shitty 3rd party shovelware games, I was beginning to lose faith in Nintendo. Super Mario Galaxy is hands down the best platformer I have ever played. The level design is incredible, far surpassing both Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine and the bosses were fun/awesome. The OST was incredible, I even bought the soundtrack on Ebay. And best of all, LUIGI WAS PLAYABLE!!!

Super Smash Brothers Brawl: Despite causing me a ton of heartache competitively (almost all of my favorite characters were terrible) it was still a fun experience. I LOVED Melee, more so than any other game ever created and naturally when I found out that they were making a sequel I freaked out. Me and brother easily doubled our playing time, spending at least 1000 hours of gametime playing Brawl. The cast was diverse and awesome despite various criticisms, and the single player coop was really fun. It was an incredible experience and it would have been the best game of all time imo if it was balanced competitively.

Final Fantasy 9: The best Final Fantasy ever. The characters and stories easily surpass every other title. The battle system in FF9 was a ton of fun and I loved how each character was unique instead being slight variations of each other like in the previous FF games. (FF8 i'm looking at you) FF9 is the only that I have beaten multiple times.

Earthbound: Earthbound is unique. Unique in its gamplay, story and characterization. I can still vividly remember every aspect of this game. I specifically loved travelling from Onett to Twoson, Threed and Fourside (One, Two, Three, Four) it was like one big grand adventure. I can totally understand if people who haven't play Earthbound don't like it / think its overrated because it really doesn't seem that special until you've actually played it. The soundtrack in that game is simply amazing, it actually transformed me into a Beetles fan! I slightly prefer it to Mother 3 because I liked the open world feel compared to Mother 3's linearity. (I was sad when you couldn't PSI teleport) but Mother 3 is almost as good for the reasons people before me have listed.

Ace Attorney Investigations: Ace Attorney as a whole is amazing, they're by far the best visual novel games I have ever played, but AAI specifically was a masterpiece. Its often regarded as "inferior" to the Ace Attorney games for some insane, and I don't understand why, this game was fantastic. The 5 cases were awesome, with amazing villains and surprising plot twists(the final case was a bit too long but it was still extremely good) and I loved the characterization (They really fleshed out Edgeworths character.)

Honorable mentions: 999, Wind Waker, Pokemon Gold, Kingdom Hearts and Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

Superman 64: I'm serious when I say this. Superman 64 is the greatest fucking game ever! With exciting and comprehensible objectives, challenging short time-limits but with plenty of margin for error, hilariously great graphics, and convenient controls, what can you go wrong?

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
What is a connoisseur who doesn't support the arts?
So if I play Sega games on my Wii Virtual Console using a Wiimote, I'm not a connoisseur of the arts?

I've had unprotected sex with strangers before, doesn't mean it was the right thing to do. Less fallacious arguments please. It's now easier than ever to play classic games while paying for them; and the retro games craze is booming. I emulated games when I was 10. Nigga please. Besides which I explicitly said current games.
He never said emulating is okay, he was just asking rhetorically you if you've ever done it. And then you admit that you had. Nice straw man, though.

A connoisseur is a person competent enough to pass critical judgments about art. Here's a critical judgment; though you and I are both libertarians, you are seriously fucked if you cling to some fantasy where you have all the right in the world to steal from game designers and that the only ones it will hurt is the major publishers like EA.
The straw man continues. You're putting so many words in his mouth he might as well let you argue his side for him.

And who the fuck are you to tell other people they aren't connoisseurs, especially someone who probably has been playing video games as long as you've been alive? You're asserting an opinion that is so elitist it puts Smogon circa 2005 to shame. Shut up and go fuck yourself.

I'm surprised people haven't noted any of the following yet (at least in the genre they fall under):

9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors~A phenomenal Visual Novel. Probably one of the best I've played/read ever. The logic is supreme when it came to the twists in the plot and it keeps you on the edge all of the time. Sure, there isn't much of "gameplay" to it, but thanks to the superb narration and ominous soundtrack, the hairs on your neck will not lay flat until at least 2 or so days after you have finished playing through the game.
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney~IMO, this is the first Visual Novel I have ever touched. Who'da thunk that a game about Defense Lawyers would be so badass?
I didn't consider visual novels since their status as games is pretty shaky, plus most of them are probably too obscure for this board. If you liked those two though I'd strongly recommend Ever17 (same writer as 999) and Umineko, which has a lot of the same sort of battles of logic as the PW games.

That said, I don't think there's a VN I'd actually give a 10 to. Muv Luv Alternative is probably the best and it's got some pretty serious flaws.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
EDIT: I originally matched your hostility DM, but I reworded this because this all somehow started with me implying that people in thread had good taste and there's no reason it should end with people getting in a pissing match.

I consider myself a connoisseur of games, yes. It is an elitist notion. I don't like to be snooty about it, but it's a snooty concept. If people want to be equally snooty, they should buy old consoles and play old games on them. It's actually kind of the popular thing to do at the moment, so I don't see why this is an issue.

I really fucking hate the concept of cracking a console and stealing current games for it. This has nothing to with being a connoisseur really; it's just stealing. And it hurts the industry I love. I don't know Mr.E well enough to jump down his throat for that, so I didn't. Vineon on the other hand's politics stand out as much as Deck Knight's. I was addressing Vineon specifically with everything I wrote.

This is all digressing from my original point; that it takes (besides money) time to play over 20 years worth of video games. If that's daunting and people want a good place to start, this thread is a good reference because however elitist you think I am I think the people in here have suggested good games.

Except for Jak II :P

Earthbound: Earthbound is unique. Unique in its gamplay, story and characterization. I can still vividly remember every aspect of this game. I specifically loved travelling from Onett to Twoson, Threed and Fourside (One, Two, Three, Four) it was like one big grand adventure. I can totally understand if people who haven't play Earthbound don't like it / think its overrated because it really doesn't seem that special until you've actually played it. The soundtrack in that game is simply amazing, it actually transformed me into a Beetles fan! I slightly prefer it to Mother 3 because I liked the open world feel compared to Mother 3's linearity. (I was sad when you couldn't PSI teleport) but Mother 3 is almost as good for the reasons people before me have listed.
Also, the the Sum(mers) of 1,2,3 and 4 being Ten(ta Village).

although this isn't necessarily a 10/10 game this is about as close as we're going to get to a "games that you recommend" thread and I honestly don't want to make one

Yume Nikki (dream diary)
this game has been summed up very nicely by someone so I'm just gonna c/p it here, chop out a couple bits
Yume Nikki is not a typical RPG. Don’t go into it expecting anything of the sort. Yume Nikki is brutally emotional, sometimes frighteningly abstract, and bears little resemblence to the games of today. 99% of the game consists of exploration, and the areas you’ll be wandering around in have no logical arrangement whatsoever. You’ll get lost often and miss things. You’ll find things in places you’d swear you’d crawled over with a fine-toothed comb. You’ll find things you’ll almost wish you hadn’t.

When struggling to explain the horror factor to a friend, the way which felt most right is the idea that your brain can only accept so much surreality before it clamps up. The various monsters or people you encounter (and I must warn you, there’s virtually no dialogue in the entire game), the backgrounds, and the sound for that matter, have nothing in common with sense. After a time, that hideous pink and green mutation in the background will make you shudder simply because you don’t know what it is, will never know what it is, and perhaps don’t want to know what it is.

I’ve played through it a few times. Finding every effect gives you a real feeling of accomplishment, but the ending (and I am a sentimentalist, unfortunately) is liable to leave the average gamer either in tears or making o_o faces.

download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?3a5w8ou1gd29quu

also someone was kind enough to rip the soundtrack. listen to it before going to sleep, it's very comforting.
http://www.mediafire.com/?7wppx9tgttqz0gn

e:
Except for Jak II
I agree; although it was a decent game, I hated what this game did to the series. honestly everything after jak and daxter seems like a spin off of the original. still waiting for jak and daxter II.

I've had unprotected sex with strangers before, doesn't mean it was the right thing to do.
Having unprotected sex with strangers is dangerous. You're not arguing emulating is dangerous / unhealthy; you're arguing it's morally wrong.

I assume since you brought up 'unprotected' you're using the fact it's dangerous as an argument.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Having unprotected sex with strangers is dangerous. You're not arguing emulating is dangerous / unhealthy; you're arguing it's morally wrong.
Engaging impulsively in an activity that could cause harm to myself, a stranger, and a financial burden to the same plus immediate family isn't morally wrong? If not, I could come up with a few other wrongs if pressed. Doesn't change the fact that having done something wrong doesn't make it right.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I really fucking hate the concept of cracking a console and stealing current games for it. This has nothing to with being a connoisseur really; it's just stealing. And it hurts the industry I love.
Fair enough man. And for what it's worth, I agree completely. I have had numerous offers to hack my Wii, but I have refused every time. I'd rather buy the games because I enjoy that sense of ownership.

Yes, I have emulated, but I was much younger and that was about ten years ago, long before NES and SNES games became widely available again. Now I buy everything I want on the Wii VC and love every second of it. Chrono Trigger just showed up on there recently CAN I GET AN AMEN

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Shiit, I already own Chrono Trigger twice. Then again I own all three versions of Resident 4 so...

No joke, I actually bought Link to the Past for the VC because my uncle was in Iraq and I had let him borrow some of my games (needed my fix!). And a friend says I don't give LttP enough credit :\

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
If you liked those two though I'd strongly recommend Ever17 (same writer as 999) and Umineko, which has a lot of the same sort of battles of logic as the PW games..
I'd get Ever17, but it looks like obtaining it for the PS2 is like searching for a needle in a haystack. PC version is impossible for me to get, cause I don't have a PC.

Umineko looks interesting as well. Is it done in English?

I'd get Ever17, but it looks like obtaining it for the PS2 is like searching for a needle in a haystack. PC version is impossible for me to get, cause I don't have a PC.

Umineko looks interesting as well. Is it done in English?
Usually there's some alright fan translations for it.

As for a 10/10 game...

Super Mario World - As far as platforming goes, this game hits it's zenith right here. The controls are absolutely superb, and are perfect in nearly every way imaginable. The level design is somewhat imaginative, and there are enough secrets to keep you searching for a long time. For those that find it too easy, there's even some...sadistic modifications to the game.

Super Meat Boy - A more bite-sized version of the above, only with even better controls, and more... extreme difficulty. Seriously, fuck you Cotton Alley World.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I really fucking hate the concept of cracking a console and stealing current games for it. This has nothing to with being a connoisseur really
Thank you. This is all I was arguing with. It seems there never was an argument.

And because it appears to piss you off, I happen to gladly take the free route whenever possible without a scratch to my conscience when it comes to video games, music, movies or whatever else. If I wanted to, there is nothing about it that could stop me from considering myself of 'connoisseur'.

Very glad you support the industry for me with your money, thank you once again.

Vineon on the other hand's politics stand out as much as Deck Knight's.

How so?

Resident Evil 4 - The only game I have beaten more than 15 times, It is a masterpiece.

Metal Gear Solid 3
- Amazing Story, as well as game play, a truly thrilling and immersive experience.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons - My brother and I have always been into playing games that have two versions, I landed with Seasons, he got Ages, and once we started playing we didn't touch other games for at least a full year.

Megaman Battle Network 3 - The pinnacle of addicting play and competition in a dual version game for my brother and I. We couldn't stop until we did every single thing in the game, and boy was there a lot to do.

Pokemon Gold
- I may have started out Pokemon with blue version, but Gold is my hands down favorite, legendary game, spent a while playing this game.

I do find that with the last 3 games, a good amount of satisfaction with the games comes from the memories I have of playing them for hours with my brother and cousin, it's what I feel put them over the top to make them 10s in my book, they weren't just games, they were a way of life for however long we played them.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Like this
Then again?

I'm trying to follow, am I a 'Deck Knight' because I admit using emulation? You'd likely be disappointed to find out the amount of 'Deck Knights' that happen to run rampant around here.

You don't pirate? Congratulations, you probably shouldn't. I still don't know too many people that don't.

Do I share with him a certain political stance? Do I post in a similar manner? I really don't think that would be it.

So what is it?

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time tells a tale through unique ways of narration and stuff. The environments alone in that game tell a story better than any other, which makes it a pretty fucking neato adventure game (the best, in my humble opinion)

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm trying to follow, am I a 'Deck Knight' because I admit using emulation? You'd likely be disappointed to find out the amount of 'Deck Knights' that happen to run rampant around here.

You don't pirate? Congratulations, you probably shouldn't. I still don't know too many people that don't.
I'm not sure I understand. You understand that pirating is amoral but continue to do it anyway because you like free things? I'm curious as to what stops you from things like academic plagiarism. Is it the increased likelihood of not getting away with it? If so, it's an unfortunate fact that individuals like you are contributing to the increasingly draconian IP/internet laws being drafted. Not that you care, just an observation.

Edit: I actually did have something relevant to this thread when I initially came here, and that is Star Wars Battlefront 2! What an amazing game for its time. The epic scale of the battles, the excellently balanced classes, the decent single player storyline (you play as a squad of republic troops that goes from saving the galaxy under the republic to eventually becoming Vader's Fist)...jeez, this makes me miss good Star Wars games. How did we go from games like Battlefront and Rogue Squadron to shit like Force Unleashed?

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
I'm curious as to what stops you from things like academic plagiarism. Is it the increased likelihood of not getting away with it?
I wouldn't. Quite simply to be rewarded for my own work.

I do have a problem with preachers of morals that likely pirate all the same. It may not be video games but I wouldn't be surprised if it were something else. Free accessibility is sadly quick, simple and tempting. I don't know too many that shy away from it.

At the very least appreciate that you're not conversing with a complete hypocrite.

i think you mean "immoral"--amorality is moral neutrality. i also pirate and don't give a shit. fuck paying for stuff that is freely available, especially since businesses do whatever they can to fuck me up the ass and take my money. and no, i don't think it so wrong (but i'm pretty radical in that i don't think murder is wrong, just a morally neutral but emotionally charged action). but i digress...

more awesome games:

Metal Gear Solid 3: never played mgs4 since i don't own a ps3, but amongst the metal gears that i have played, this one is the best.

System Shock 2: better than bioshock in my opinion (though both are great). bioshock is definitely a spiritual successor, and after playing this game you will notice the uncanny resemblances between the two games.

Baldur's Gate II: one of the best rpgs i've ever played. the role playing, sheer amount of character customization, spells (so many fucking spells), great characters, great everything--just play this game. can be a little overwhelming at first (again, there are just so many spells, it takes forever to learn what they all do and if they are good or not).

Banjo Kazooie: better than mario 64 in my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)