Official NBA 2013 - 2014 Season Thread

I would've been surprised if Oden chose a team that wasn't the Heat. Sure, he's only 25, but he's basically in a "win now" situation anyways due to his history of injuries.

Oden doesn't hurt the Heat at all, and knowing their luck he will stay healthy and be another dominant player on a team filled with dominant players. They've always played small so he gives them some size which they need against the Pacers and Bulls.

I can see the Heat making another Finals return, they haven't gotten any weaker unless Wade and Bosh regress even more. The rest of the East is definitely looking stronger though, considering how far Miamigot pushed last year in the playoffs, they could slip up and lose.

For the West, probably going down to Thunder or Rockets, Spurs will probably dominate the regular season again, but become a R1-2 exit. Grizzlies...I dunno, maybe it's just me, but considering their past I think it's a fluke, but I don't follow them at all so maybe they're that good now. Be interesting to see how far the Clippers can go with a change to Rivers.

Oden doesn't hurt the Heat at all, and knowing their luck he will stay healthy and be another dominant player on a team filled with dominant players. They've always played small so he gives them some size which they need against the Pacers and Bulls.
Yeah Oden finally gives them size to compete against other big men. Miami even had trouble against Duncan in the Finals.
Also look at this http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/8/2/4584190/greg-oden-contract-miami-heat-lebron-james

Odom has to choose between having an NBA career or staying involved with the Kardashians. What a freak show.

I don't think the Nets will end up being this powerhouse everyone is projecting them to be. They need to stay healthy, and I don't see that happening. KG and Pierce are another year older, not to mention Joe Johnson has had trouble staying healthy.
They have the depth to stay healthy though... Starters shouldn't be playing Kobe-esque minutes with that bench.

I'm skeptical that Greg Oden will do anything noteworthy for the Miami Heat. You never know, but... Hibbert & Noah have evolved their game. And a healthy Bynum stomps a healthy Oden.

Oden will provide them with what they need from him. At most in crucial games Oden will play around 20 minutes. They will rotate between Birdman, Bosh & Oden against the Pacers, Bulls, Clippers, Grizzlies & other teams with dominant bigs. Other teams who don't have dominating bigs, Oden will see probably 10 mins max at most. It's honestly a win/win situation, Oden finally gets a chance at redeeming himself, and the Heat have found another cheap way to get past their problems. I doubt Oden will get enough playing time to honestly hurt himself, though that Trailblazers team was cursed when it came to injuries so I won't hold his durability short. I feel like Oden will be one of the final assets they need since the Heat didn't do well rebounding, and didn't have anyone who could really alter shots at the rim, and with Oden that's your guy. He has a subpar offensive game, but with LeBron Wade & Bosh you don't really need any center with anything above an average offensive game. The contract they are signing him at won't hurt either if he gets hurt, since they still won back to back NBA championships playing mostly small ball anyway.

Also, what Gabe's saying about Rondo makes sense, but not exactly because they are "wasting his talent". They would trade Rondo to deepen their roster, and gain more expiring contracts. Basically if you haven't noticed the Celtics are looking at the new, and are building around Rondo (if they don't elect to trade him), Bradley, Green & Sullinger. The 2014 draft supposedly is one of the best drafts since '03, which is remarkable. With the depth in this draft, if the Celtics could manage a few first round picks & possibly a few mediocre players with expiring contracts they would most likely take it to deepen their team for upcoming years. Anyway you look at it, there is a reason the Celtics have so many championships. They know exactly how to keep rebuilding, and know when it's time to change up the pieces to do so.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Oden will either recover from his injuries or he won't, or some kind of middle ground.

Until then, not too much to speculate about.

If he does, though, he could definitely contribute, since they have pretty weak center depth on that roster.

Oh man, i just realised that at some point in the playoffs, there could be Oden->Odin puns in sports articles. That would be amazing.

Edit: This glorious hedge brought to you by people who are aware that they can't predict the fucking future, and thus don't see a point in boldly claiming one of these three things will occur.

Face it, we have no clue what will happen. It's like speculating on a roll of the dice.

Last edited:
Schedule gets released soon. Hoping for some good opening night games and Christmas Day games. (even though some were leaked already)

I can see the Lakers and Celtics being replaced by the Thunder and Bulls. The again, it's the Lakers and Celtics.

I can see the Lakers and Celtics being replaced by the Thunder and Bulls. The again, it's the Lakers and Celtics.
The Bulls won't be all that good for much longer I believe it. Thunder also are too small of a market to resign anyone else who can benefit them like Harden/Martin. Also, like you said, it's the Lakers & the Celtics, they won't be gone for too long.

Why are players drug tested for marijuana again? There's barely any testing for PEDs in the NBA.

Shabazz is a young 20-something male who acted like one. Don't see why that's even a rule.

the NBA has been covering up PED use for years, it is honestly fucking incredible how they get away with it considering the vitriol the sports media (and apparently Congress :|) has for that stuff

personally I am pro-steroids, keep on stacking those bodies everybody <3

I kinda support PEDs too. If it makes for more exciting entertainment and extends the careers of players who are older or injury prone why not?

Why are players drug tested for marijuana again? There's barely any testing for PEDs in the NBA.

Shabazz is a young 20-something male who acted like one. Don't see why that's even a rule.
Did you really just ask why they drug test for something thats illegal as opposed to something that isnt? PEDs really dont impact the game anywhere near like they do in sports like baseball... It actually makes me laugh sometimes when people try to argue that Lebron is on steroids. If he really was I only think thats taking away from his game rather than progressing it

there is no way proper steroid use could take away from anybody's game...players do not add 20-40 pounds of pure muscle and shoot worse if they have any talent, look at Durant in college and out of college

since Lebron's game for his first 8 years was almost entirely built on barreling wildly toward the basket, it is 100% possible he was roiding like crazy, especially since the NBA has pulled the most successful coverup of any big name sport

It's not just steroids either. It's weird how nobody really questions that MJ left the game at his peak to go play baseball just because... No it was because the league found out he was betting on his own games and suspended him for a good period of time. So MJ said fuck you guys, I'll go do something else until my suspension is up which he did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)