Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will Pokemon be able to de-MEvo once they MEvo?

I don't think Pokemon that MEvo can use 2 abilities at a time. Mawile using Intimidate then, Hugh Power just is too much. They will probably restrict it somehow.

Mr.Masuda is on stage giving a speech. Photography is prohibited. Though he says that Pikachu’s cry in the game will change to the voice from the anime, not just in Pokémon-Amie.
-Pokejungle

I'm kinda "ehhh" on this one. It would be weird if just Pikachu got it, wouldn't it? Plus, I liked the cries because they gave each Pokemon individuality.

Mega Evolution, properly explained:

You can choose to mega-evolve or not and have to press the button you guys have already seen to initiate it. So therefore you can do at the start of the battle, during, or not mega-evolve at all.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=76790287&postcount=261

Basically, click the button anytime you please at any point in battle with the usual options of using moves.

EDIT: Seems you may be forced to attack. I'm not sure, the person who played the demo is giving further updates.

I also theoretically see this happening, based on the assumption that the button to mega evo can be used to de mega evo something.
''Opposing trainer James B. sent out Hydreigon!''(You're already in mega evo state)(Presses button)''Mega Ampharos placed the power back into the mega stone! Mega Ampharos is now Ampharos!''(Selects hidden power)''Hydreigon used Dragon pulse!''(Hits for 52% or whatever the real calcs are)''Ampharos used hidden power ice!''''It's super effective! Hydreigon fainted!''So if you can switch, based on their being a button, between mega evos, this would be advantageous and leave your opponent guessing.
Also guys, you press b to WALK now, and Pokémon can either be found in wild grass patches or by one charging you/encountering you in the overworld.

@Jimmyftw
Nah, it wouldn't be two abilities at once. When ordinary Mawile switches in it would have Intimidate then it would lose it once it MegaEvolves.
I mean it reaps the benefit of two abilities in one match, which is unlikely to happen.

Also, if Dragonite gets a MEvo, it's megastore will be called...

Also if Pokemon can de-MEvo this can led to abusing abilities.

I also theoretically see this happening, based on the assumption that the button to mega evo can be used to de mega evo something.

''Opposing trainer James B. sent out Hydreigon!''
(You're already in mega evo state)
(Presses button)
''Mega Ampharos placed the power back into the mega stone! Mega Ampharos is now Ampharos!''
(Selects hidden power)
''Hydreigon used Dragon pulse!''
(Hits for 52% or whatever the real calcs are)
''Ampharos used hidden power ice!''
''It's super effective! Hydreigon fainted!''
So if you can switch, based on their being a button, between mega evos, this would be advantageous and leave your opponent guessing.
I somehow doubt you'd be able to revert back. Unless reverting is automatic after x amount of turns or something.

Pikachu gets everything handed to it. It's not even a "good" Pokemon.
You say that, but it's Mawile that everything has been turning out perfectly for. It gets the fancy new typing, a Mega Evo with Pure Power, is able to benefit from both abilities due to the way the mechanics work and (since that type chart is practically confirmed) has nigh perfect coverage in Fairy STAB and Sucker Punch. It must have a hell of a fanbase.

Quote from Serebii: Once you get to Professor Sycamore, he will give you Mewtwo and teach you about Mega Evolution

He will give you Mewtwo?! I hope we are not allow to use this in the gym battles because if there is a Whitney 2.0 gym leader, I cannot hold back to use Mewtwo.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Quote from Serebii: Once you get to Professor Sycamore, he will give you Mewtwo and teach you about Mega Evolution

He will give you Mewtwo?! I hope we are not allow to use this in the gym battles because if there is a Whitney 2.0 gym leader, I cannot hold back to use Mewtwo.
You are reading way too much into this. The entire scenario in the demo is made explicitly for the demo. This scenario will not occur in the games (, at least not near the beginning).

He will give you Mewtwo? GIVE? New image:

Maze-thingy. Reminds me of that Farfethc'd catching mini-game.

Last edited:
Wow, mechanics-wise, this is pretty big news. I was a bit concerned that you'd have to 'waste' a turn to Mega-Evolve (which, compared with just using a boosting move + Life Orb, would have made Mega Evolutions kind of bad for the most part). However, now that we know you can Mega Evolve AND use an attack in the same turn, it's actually amazing - as others have said, this mechanic allows Mawile to both abuse Intimidate, and then Mega-Evolve to get Huge Power, while landing a big hit in the same turn. The only downside I see is that Mawile can't use it's dual Fairy typing straight from the get-go to absorb Dragon-type moves. But then again, if the MegaEvos stick even after you've switched, then this is only a one-time concern.

Also, the confirmation of Fire resisting Fairy is kind of interesting. There aren't heaps of defensive fire-types in OU for which this really matters - but oh man, Heatran looks like it's still going to be pretty great next gen; and this does give Volcarona some set-up opportunities I suppose. Also, in Ubers, this is pretty good news for Ho-Oh, as he already has great bulk + Regenerator, so getting another resistance is pretty fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)