OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
There is none that I know of, but many of those teams in the RMT forum have importables at the end of them that you can cp into Showdown. If you need help with your own team building you can check out the Battling 101 sub forum located here.

What is the Smogon philosophy statements regarding when something is 'ban worthy?'

I recall 3 bullet points , 2 of which were 'offensive threats' and 'defensive threats' but I can't remember 100% and would like to view the exact statements.

If this ideal is outdated, please update me as to what the newest acceptable viewpoint is.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm sure this question have been posted early but I'm too lazy to search :/

Why can't we ban Blaziken @speedboost and unban Blaziken @Blaze?
Same with Excadrill @Mold Breaker and Exca @Sand rush.

I don't see why :/

I'm not saying that they should be unban, it's just a little question to clarify this point ^^

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Because then we would either issue a complex ban or have to Ban the ability in general.

I don't think we're going to issue Blaziken + Speed Boost banned and Excadrill + Sand Rush.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm sure this question have been posted early but I'm too lazy to search :/

Why can't we ban Blaziken @speedboost and unban Blaziken @Blaze?
Same with Excadrill @Mold Breaker and Exca @Sand rush.

I don't see why :/

I'm not saying that they should be unban, it's just a little question to clarify this point ^^
Smogon generally doesn't like to create complex bans. Here's a quote from Texas Cloverleaf

"The moment you start tiering Speed Boost and Blaze Blaziken separately you open up a whole new can of worms with tiering abilities on mons. You get things like Regenerator Slowking is RU but Own Tempo Slowking is NU. DrizzleToed is OU and Water Absorb Toed is NU. Etcetera, etcetera. We've always tiered Pokemon based on their entire being, including abilities and I see no need for this to change."

Basically, where is the line drawn? We'd start to see Mewtwo with no attacking moves in UU, or Lugia only at level 80 in RU etc. This is one of the reasons why smogon doesn't like complex banning.

I don't know if this is where to post this, but a modest, solar power, choice specs, in the sun, charizard does 258% damage with overheat to custom on the simulator while an adamant, sheer power, choice band, in the sun, darmanitan only does 229% with flare blitz, and an adamant, choice band, in the sun, victini only does 209% with v-create meaning charizard has the most powerful attack on switch in, without setting up, in the game.

Edit: I wasn't saying that its ou viable, I was just saying that it's something most people wouldn't think of. Also it could use fire blast over overheat so it wouldn't have to switch out, it's just that overheat is more powerful in terms of calculating the most powerful move in the game

Last edited:

LilOu

PO poopyhead
"For several generations, Charizard has been regarded as the most powerful of Pokemon...by your six-year-old neighbor. Charizard has never really been an excellent Pokemon, even plunging into the depths of NU after the introduction of Stealth Rock, which cut its health by 50% on each switch in."

Yeah, Charizard may do the most insane amount of damage against any pokemon, however, there are multiple Pokemons that make it look like a puppy in terms of viability in the OU metagame. Charizard only works under Sun and it's really hard to attempt a sweep, even more if it's gonna get Choice locked in Overheat, while Volcarona (it's only an example) can be used in every wheater and can sweep after 1-2 Quiver Dances despite having the same Stealth Rock weakness as our poor Dragon wannabe.

Last edited:
Team with Scizor and Latias and Typhlosion , i need to add 3 more and it must but one from each remaing gen 1 ,4 a, 5
Team is Hyper Offensive
recomendations?

Typhlosion sucks. Also, post your movesets, evs, etc. Alteratively, complete the team and post it in the RMT section. Gl with your team.

Typhlosion is a odd amongst Scizor and Latias, as it is neither powerful nor fast for OU standard. We also think you restrict yourself a bit too much when you insist on theme building.

Anyhow, your options are fairly limited in the second gen, so you might want to replace it with CB-Tyranitar to help a hazard setter of another gen to get rid of Starmie, might conflict with Scizor depending on with set you are using; or Custap-Skarmory with Taunt when you need an actual hazard setter.
In the first gen you have Dragonite as a good late-game cleaner, providing you manage to keep SR out of your field. It shares a few weaknesses with Lati@s, though. Gengar is the only offensive spin-blocker available and works well with Taunt-Skarmory. Sash-Alakazam is a great revenge killer and basicly gives you a kill when you can apply it smartly.
In the forth gen the only options that comes in mind are SD-Lucario and SD-Garchomp. We don't know if you consider Mamoswine 4th gen, otherwise it makes a good Endeavor-Sash-User and/or SR setter.
There is actually a lot to choose from the 5th gen. If you have chosen either Dragonite or Garchomp (or both), you will have quite a lot of Ice and Dragon weakness in your team, so you might avoid Tornadus. Keldeo and Volcanora both resist Ice, though Volcanora is only a option when you can keep SR out of the field reliably. Terrakion does not contribute much to typing synergy, but its STAB coverage is as good as ever and it get access to Taunt + SR. A more exotic choice would be Scolipede for being a dual spiker and its trollish speed tier that puts it above Lati@s, but with that many strong sweepers in the 5th gen, you most likely will be better off with Keldeo or Terrakion, at least when you insist on your deliberate limits.

It generally depends your team, but it's usually Forretress or Donphan.
What are pros and cons of these pokemon and i once heard somebody say all sun teams need ninetales (obvious), a trapper, and spinner. How much of this is true and if so the only 2 trappers i can think of is dugtrio and gothitelle. What are the pros and cons of those 2?

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Jellicent can burn Scizor with Will-O-Wisp and cause heavy damage (and a potential burn) to Landorus-T with Scald, and it learns Trick Room. Barring that, Eviolite Porygon2 can cause problems for Landorus-T by Tracing Intimidate and threatening to KO with Ice Beam (and of course, it gets Trick Room), but it's not a good answer to Scizor.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
Could anyone give me a suggestion for a mon that can handle landorus T/scizor and set up TR?
Bronzong is used quite commonly on TR teams and easily counters Landorus-T. Victini beats Scizor nicely but doesn't really like taking a Banded U-turn too much, but easily beats it one on one. I've recently seen Jellicent set up TR on the ladder before, and it beats Scizor easily while scaring off Landorus-T as well, so that's something to consider.

What are pros and cons of these pokemon and i once heard somebody say all sun teams need ninetales (obvious), a trapper, and spinner. How much of this is true and if so the only 2 trappers i can think of is dugtrio and gothitelle. What are the pros and cons of those 2?
Yes, Sun teams are very predictable. Generally a Sun team goes along the likes of Ninetales / Venusaur / Dugtrio / Donphan / Volcarona / Xatu etc. While a few may differ depending on what the teams needs, you're generally going to be seeing these Pokemon a lot of Sun teams. As for your question about Forretress and Donphan, it really depends on your team. Forretress has an advantage over Donphan in that it can gain momentum when Volt Switching, and lay down (Toxic) Spikes, unlike Donphan (so this could be useful if you already have an SR user, say Dugtrio). Donphan on the other hand is a Ground type and isn't complete set up bait for bulky sweepers (like Landorus-T and SD Scizor). Donphan is also nice to have if you don't want to resort to using Dugtrio, as it offers you a nice Ground type to switch into Tyranitar easily. And finally for your trappers, it again depends on your team. Gothitelle is much better at trapping Hippowdon and Politoed, while Dugtrio is much better at trapping Tyranitar. Gothitelle can cripple Stall teams with Trick, while Dugtrio can potentially provide a set up opportunity for one of your sweepers via Memento while also providing Stealth Rock. I highly suggest you test both, and see what your team needs most. Good luck!

Bronzong is used quite commonly on TR teams and easily counters Landorus-T. Victini beats Scizor nicely but doesn't really like taking a Banded U-turn too much, but easily beats it one on one. I've recently seen Jellicent set up TR on the ladder before, and it beats Scizor easily while scaring off Landorus-T as well, so that's something to consider.

Thanks, will definitely try bronzong and jellicent

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)