Leaving Home :O

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
When you guys say "ramen" can you specify? I keep thinking you're telling him to go to ramen restaurants, which are pretty expensive-- 5-8 dollars a bowl if we're talking real ramen.

"Ramen" is this:

However, I'm pretty sure you guys are inferring "instant ramen", or cup noodle. If you don't use the word "instant" it's assumed that you mean "real (restaurant) ramen".

"Instant Ramen" is this:

Ramen in general though is not particularly good for you-- real or instant. At least the real (restaurant) ramen has actual food in it though.

The Cup Noodle instant Ramen is cheap and tasty-- but probably the worst thing you can feed your body (it's significantly worse for you than McDonald's). Instant Ramen is something you should eat once or twice every few months-- not on a regular basis.

Last edited:

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've never heard of ramen.

As for the guy from my school, we got drunk last night and talked about things, basically said let's leave our dislike of each other in the past. He seems pretty chill. I guess it's the different environment.

Anyway, I apologise for acting proper needy in this thread, I was really nervous starting (as you can probably tell), but everything seems to be good! There's a bar on campus, and I'm meeting a lot of people there, and just generally feeling a lot more comfortable. :)

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
^Corkscrew-- you have my pity. Please, don't worry about anything I just said, and go-- go and enjoy Ramen. Enjoy life (it ain't life without Ramen... seriously...). Restaurant or instant-- we just need to get you some Ramen fast.

Where in the world have you been living that you don't have Ramen?????

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
you should still keep some around, if you drain the ramen before they noodles are entirely cooked and then stir fry them with some vegetables you have a proper meal. If you just follow the package directions the sodium content is quite unhealthy, but as a very cheap pasta/noodle that can double as a drunk snack nothing beats ramen. Also it's one of the mildest things to throw-up (it doesnt hurt coming back up) according to the bulimics.

talking about instant ramen.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't think ramen is very common in England. We have pot noodles which I think is similar to instant ramen, but they're pretty disgusting. I will be getting some noodles though, as stir fry is really quick and easy to do

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Instant Noodles is trash. Do not eat that. Even if it's cheap as dirt, get something with actual nutritional value into your body rather than just filler. Every once in a while is fine but seriously. I agree with what Chou said aside from somehow wondering what people meant by ramen because they obviously didn't mean real ramen!

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Obviously-- we all meant you should get Chinese Lamian 拉面!

Here in China though, eating out is so cheap there's barely a price difference between the instant and the real noodles...

BTW-- London has some awesome ramen places; both Japanese, and Chinese styles. I don't know about other cities but... someday, someday... you should try real ramen! xD

Enguarde

I only play ADV UU
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
write lists to remember stuff
microwaves are the greatest appliance
if you have to try hard with someone to make friends its not gonna work

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Guys, having a few months worth experience in living alone (and managing to lose ~60 pounds to become fit for uni) I can give a few tips regarding simple and wholesome eating.

1. Master the use of these 3 items: Bread, Milk, Fruits.
You can never go wrong with these, pretty cheap and readily available and easy to consume. You can substitute rice for starch but I kind of like bread better, since I can control my portions, (unlike rice, where I tend to gorge, and needs more supplements, like curry dishes etc).
Eggs also form a great, cheap wholesome food item. Easy to cook and eat in a variety of ways. (but may be bad in excess)

2. Make sure your fridge is always stacked with basic veggies like Potatoes, Onion, Lettuce etc and Fruits
This ensures the most important things. Whenever you want a quick snack, you always have your fruits/quick sandwiches to fall back on, instead of being tempted to heat up some instant-noodles.

3. Learn to make stuff, which is easy and quick, and can be stored cold for days on end, reducing your work.
For me Soup does the trick. I make a whole big pot of that stuff in one go (takes about an hour) and can store that thing for over a week, having a heated-up bowl whenever I feel hungry.
Since I usually have my lunch at my university canteen, that leaves me only with breakfast and dinner, for breakfast simple sandwich+milk+eggs does the trick while I have a huge bowl of soup for dinner (excellent for maintaining a diet too), you can also stack other items like sausages, etc to make quick veggie dishes if that's more to your taste. Careful on the pasta/noodles though, you don't want to have them for 3 square meals a day.
Fruits and quick kitchen disasters for the hunger pangs.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
So I assume you are studying in the UK...
I think you can get most things in supermarkets like Sainsbury, Tesco, etc. They are usually cheaper.
If you want stuff quick, you go to shops in town such as Marks and Spencers, but only go there if it's really urgent since stuff there is a lot more expensive.

Anyway, so I guessed you chose the non-catered option for your dormitory then?
Have fun cooking potatoes and stew...

PS: Baked beans are really cheap in the UK, and goes well with potatoes.
I hate pot noodles too, but they only sell Ramen in China Town, and not every city has one. I purchase loads and put it in my luggage before my flights.

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Come on, I love Ramen and so do my schoolmates.

Bought boxes of Ramen in Hong Kong for $2.3 each, sold them in the dormitory for 40 pence to 1 pound at school (UK)-- and they were so willing to buy them from me.
(As in, 500% in profit so I can have enough money, since my parents were very strict with pocket money.)

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Ah cool :D Yeah you guys are not wrong in that there is more pressure on people to drink here :| I just hate the taste of it so I'd only have 1 or 2 when I was out with friends (which was rarely). We preferred to have meals together/order pizza etc rather than go out partying and spending lots of cash. I used to get picked on for not liking alcohol but it was mostly in jest :P

Corkscrew I don't know how much loan/maintenance you have but I lived pretty comfortably on the money I had. People seem super paranoid about running out of money, but just simple things can save you lots. I had enough left over to spend on frivolous things all the time. I never had to get a job, an extra loan or ask my parents for money for the 4 years I was at uni.

Tesco/Sainsbury's is great for good items, we used to get ordered food between 4 of us (Like a months shopping would be over £50~60 so free delivery) and then we moved onto a more communal "go down to the supermarket every week" in my last year. It's a good way to get to know people.

Sorry for 'offtopic' but I ate 2 minute noodles when we had no other food on the weekend and this thread reminded me of their existence, and I remembered why you shouldn't eat them because I woke up the next day and the first thing I said was 'I want to throw up'

Thanks for the warning, Smogon. I should have taken it. =/

Cresselia~~

Sorry for 'offtopic' but I ate 2 minute noodles when we had no other food on the weekend and this thread reminded me of their existence, and I remembered why you shouldn't eat them because I woke up the next day and the first thing I said was 'I want to throw up'

Thanks for the warning, Smogon. I should have taken it. =/
Too much wax, I guess?

It isn't too healthy in the long term anyway, all those oils, waxes and mono sodium glutamate...

But they are just so different from the pot noodles. Instant ramen tastes really nice to me and to most people I know.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Too much wax, I guess?

It isn't too healthy in the long term anyway, all those oils, waxes and mono sodium glutamate...

But they are just so different from the pot noodles. Instant ramen tastes really nice to me and to most people I know.
Top Ramen with a dash of spice tastes godly, no joke.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
there's nothing wrong with instant ramen as long as you don't eat it the way the package tells you to, the noodles are fine. just figure out something to do with them other than "boil for 2 minutes and eat with freaky soup packet" (the soup packet varies in quality depending on brand, but regardless of brand, that shit is bad for you) besides there's so little in the actual package that, unless you eat them with something else, there's really no point to eating them anyway, you'll be hungry in an hour, so you might as well cook them into something more filling

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just eat fucking ramen... 4 years of ramen while you're at university is not going to kill you and it is the easiest / cheapest way to feel full if you're hungry.

I mean obviously eat real food in between but seriously, ramen is great cannon fodder. (i.e. it fills the void)

there's nothing wrong with instant ramen as long as you don't eat it the way the package tells you to, the noodles are fine. just figure out something to do with them other than "boil for 2 minutes and eat with freaky soup packet" (the soup packet varies in quality depending on brand, but regardless of brand, that shit is bad for you) besides there's so little in the actual package that, unless you eat them with something else, there's really no point to eating them anyway, you'll be hungry in an hour, so you might as well cook them into something more filling
ramen brother

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
How to make your room your own.

Buy either a Che Guevara or hemp leaf poster and let everyone know how radical you are now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)