Pokémon Dragalge (HA confirmed to be Adaptability)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's interesting.
It's the only thing that could actually use STAB Venoshock since it won't be pathetically weak.
Then Dragalge could have dual 260 BP attacks at its disposal against poisoned opponents.
(STAB V-create is effectively 270 BP and Dragalge's max SpA is just 6 points shy of Victini's Atk. It'll hurt).
Dragalge can be self-sufficient with Toxic Spikes but it has nice type synergy with Forretress who can also set up a layer.
I could imagine a LO/Toxic Plate/Draco Plate (Trick Room?) Dragalge like:

Modest/Quiet Adaptability: Dragon Pulse | Sludge Bomb | Venoshock/Draco Meteor | Dragon Tail/Focus Blast/HP Fire

Sludge Wave is a bit more powerful but SB's 30% chance of poisoning is nice considering what it does to Venoshock.
One of the Poison attacks could also be replaced with one of the last slashes. Its main problem is Steels.
But maybe it could take advantage of the predictability of their coming in on it. (Double switch to trapper?)
Or operate in a tier where there are fewer of them. :P

Well this certainly makes it even more interesting than it already was. Now we can use it to force switches with it's resistances and massive spD and hit hard with one of it's stabs on the switch. if you don't want to use toxic spikes you could even give it assault vest to force switches even harder. I'm liking this a lot.

Sigh, and I just hatched one a moment ago! So, how can we get this guy with its hidden ability? It appears nobody's got him in their friend safari, probably because he is an exclusive pokemon. Do we have to wait for Dream World or something? (Speaking of which, DW has yet to be released right?)

Can you breed a Female Skrelp with a male in the same egg group that has its Hidden Ability to get one? I know that Imposter Ditto doesn't work, but isn't he a special case?

Can you breed a Female Skrelp with a male in the same egg group that has its Hidden Ability to get one? I know that Imposter Ditto doesn't work, but isn't he a special case?

Nope impossible to do cross breeding for HA.
It is not available yet.

Sigh, and I just hatched one a moment ago! So, how can we get this guy with its hidden ability? It appears nobody's got him in their friend safari, probably because he is an exclusive pokemon. Do we have to wait for Dream World or something? (Speaking of which, DW has yet to be released right?)
You can still run a nice set without adaptability. I am not going to use it with my Toxic Spikes set.
[Black SLudge]
Toxic Spikes
Sludge Wave/Venoshock
Surf
Dragon tail/Dragon Pulse.

Calm Nature, 252 HP and SpD, rest in SpA.

Sure it hurts a bit more, but I went for full defense EV's planning for a tanky toxic spikes guy

You can still run a nice set without adaptability. I am not going to use it with my Toxic Spikes set.
[Black SLudge]
Toxic Spikes
Sludge Wave/Venoshock
Surf
Dragon tail/Dragon Pulse.

Calm Nature, 252 HP and SpD, rest in SpA.

Sure it hurts a bit more, but I went for full defense EV's planning for a tanky toxic spikes guy
I was thinking of a more offensive set, with full HP and SpA investment, Modest nature and rest in Spdef. Would it still take hits well/hit strong enough?

EDIT: @ R_N I see, then I guess it's just not a safari poke.

being an exclusive doesn't mean anything, I have safaris with Swirlix and Manectrics

Hence the set i just posted. But considering what is currently in UU Dragalge wouldnt make the cut because there are tons of heavy hitters there whod still laugh of this pokemon. However in RU he would be a monster of a wall who doesnt really have much to fear past Druddigons Outrage, Rhyhorns EQ, and Mesprits rarely used Psyshock (supereffective wise). Generally however RU is full of physical attacking pokes with massive dmg output like Banded Escavalier, SD/BulkUp Gallade, Reckless Hitmonlee, etc and with burn only being 30% on Scald it can still get taken down.
True for all of it, except that pokemon such as Escavalier and Rhydon wouldn't dare fight it in most situations, and certainly would not switch in on it for fear of their lives. It resists Escavalier's primary STAB and Escav's horrific speed means it has to risk getting burned at least once, if not twice, makign it essentially useless for the rest of the match. Meanwhile, Rhydon takes massive damage from Scald due to its 4x weakness (though it isn't OHKOed), is also very slow and hates being burned almost as much as Escav. Though yes, pokemon like Gallade and bulky Druddigon can easily force it out, though of course none of them like getting burned either.

I think it is important to note how well this thing checks so many special attackers and even a lot of physical attackers so well, since it resists 7 types (Electric, Fire, Water, 4x Grass, Bug, Fighting and Poison) while being immune to the Toxic that wears down so many other walls. In addition, though it has 5 weaknesses, the majority of Pokemon in 2 of those typings (Dragon, Ground) risk severe damage or being ruined by burn, and 2 more (Psychic, Fairy) are uncommon in terms of attack types. It also has plenty of special bulk to take the common non-STAB Ice Beams thrown about in every tier.

IMO, it could become UU depending on what pokemon end up there that it can effectively check. Just basing off BW UU's current roster, Pokemon such as Zapdos (unless it has Substitute), Raikou, Blastoise (if it stays UU), Hitmontop, Chandelure, Houndoom, non-resting Milotic, Rotom-H without Trick, and Roserade after Sleep Clause is activated, are all effectively halted by Dragalge. Nothing else ever allowed in UU, except the currently banned Chansey, can ever claim to wall all these Pokemon at once. Of course, powerful Fairy and Steel types are issues, as are most strong physical threats if they outspeed, but every Pokemon has its issues and I'm sure this could overcome them with its great utility and typing.

Of course once HA Dragalge is released it could also go the offensive route since it gets Adaptability to give its otherwise mediocre STABs some serious power. Pretty much anything that isn't Steel type (or something like Chansey) stands to take a lot of damage from its special attacks which will be, thanks to the boost, almost as powerful as Victini's V-Create is (though that hits physically).

I was thinking of a more offensive set, with full HP and SpA investment, Modest nature and rest in Spdef. Would it still take hits well/hit strong enough?

EDIT: @ R_N I see, then I guess it's just not a safari poke.
I'm told you are better to dump in HP then a single defense if you want to wall... but I could have been told wrong. You should be able to hit pretty strong though. Just not as strong as an Adaptability one.

EDIT: A good CHoice specs set could be

Sludge Wave
Scald
Draco Meteor
Thunderbolt

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Well well, now that we have actual confirmation on Adaptability, I'm very interested in Dragalge again! That gives Dragalge's Draco Meteor an incredible 260 power... not something to be underestimated. Slap some specs on it and you have a nuke on your hands! With a simple 252 hp / 252+ SpA it takes hits reasonably well and hits back like a truck. The fact that it gets a 190 power Sludge Wave to demolish Fairies makes it even better.

Bulky Steels are going to be its biggest issue, since without Adaptability's boost, a neutral Thunderbolt is still weaker than a resisted Meteor (Dragalge's resisted Meteor packs the same power as a neutral non-STAB Meteor). Dragalge can be easily outsped and forced out by anything with EQ, so Specs is perfectly suited to this hit-and-run style. Looking forward to giving Dragalge a try!

Dragalge has Adaptability now!? Great now I can happily say itll be UU instead of my belief itll be BL2 (yes I know might as well be but EQ is still one of the most used moves it doesnt take it so well :mad:)

anyways now that Adaptability is proven this guy has a much better Offensive set with Draco and Sludge and then coverage moves or sub

Dragalge has Adaptability now!? Great now I can happily say itll be UU instead of my belief itll be BL2 (yes I know might as well be but EQ is still one of the most used moves it doesnt take it so well :mad:)

anyways now that Adaptability is proven this guy has a much better Offensive set with Draco and Sludge and then coverage moves or sub

We know adaptability, but we cannot find a skrelp with it ingame.

even with adapability, I am still gonna stick with my Spc Wall set. I like it too much.

Toxic Spikes
Dragon Tail
Surf
Sludge Wave/Venoshock

I am not sure on the last because with dragon tail and toxic Spikes, Venoshock will be 120 power pre stab, which helps it do damage.

even with adapability, I am still gonna stick with my Spc Wall set. I like it too much.

Toxic Spikes
Dragon Tail
Surf
Sludge Wave/Venoshock

I am not sure on the last because with dragon tail and toxic Spikes, Venoshock will be 120 power pre stab, which helps it do damage.
why not Scald over Surf for burn? Unless you just want the slight boost in power just wondering. Venoshock/ToxicSpikes is good though maybe Veno/Toxic is more reliable if you cant set up both layers or opponent has levitate/flying-type

Well well, now that we have actual confirmation on Adaptability, I'm very interested in Dragalge again! That gives Dragalge's Draco Meteor an incredible 260 power... not something to be underestimated. Slap some specs on it and you have a nuke on your hands! With a simple 252 hp / 252+ SpA it takes hits reasonably well and hits back like a truck. The fact that it gets a 190 power Sludge Wave to demolish Fairies makes it even better.

Bulky Steels are going to be its biggest issue, since without Adaptability's boost, a neutral Thunderbolt is still weaker than a resisted Meteor (Dragalge's resisted Meteor packs the same power as a neutral non-STAB Meteor). Dragalge can be easily outsped and forced out by anything with EQ, so Specs is perfectly suited to this hit-and-run style. Looking forward to giving Dragalge a try!
Actually, every steel in uu is demolished by specs focus blast so unless something like jirachi drops the only defensive Pokemon it can't beat are cresselia and SDef mew, the latter falling to draco meteor if SR and 1 layer on spikes are on the field.

why not Scald over Surf for burn? Unless you just want the slight boost in power just wondering. Venoshock/ToxicSpikes is good though maybe Veno/Toxic is more reliable if you cant set up both layers or opponent has levitate/flying-type
Thing is most things won't be burned due to the Toxic spikes, but I suppose it would help against those who wouldn't be burned. I'll probably switch to scald.

And I don't need both layers for Venoshock to activate, just one, but having both layers is nice. And if I use toxic I would have to use it more times then Toxic Spikes.

Seems like this is the same as Tyrantrum, there`s some evidence he has rock head as his hidden ability but no one seems to be able to have one with it.

As much as I like Dragalge, I have to say that Mega Mawile is his bane. She's immune to both his STABs, is neutral to Focus Blast, and nails his weaker defense with Huge Power Play Rough. If Dragalge gets Earth Power, that may alleviate some of the issues, but otherwise things don't look good for our dragony friend.

As much as I like Dragalge, I have to say that Mega Mawile is his bane. She's immune to both his STABs, is neutral to Focus Blast, and nails his weaker defense with Huge Power Play Rough. If Dragalge gets Earth Power, that may alleviate some of the issues, but otherwise things don't look good for our dragony friend.
It's worth saying that ol' head-chompers won't appreciate a Scald burn. So, if you're good at predicting switch-ins, you can at least turn her from a 100% counter into a 70% one. It ain't much, but it's something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)