Other Viable Megas

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not about the long-term; it's that Charizard ends up locked into Solarbeam while Tyranitar OHKOes it.

Using two Mega Stones would be a giant waste. One can be hard enough to justify, and it's not like regular Charizard would fare any better against Tyranitar.
What if Tyranitar switches in to a focus blast instead?

and it only takes a single Dragon Dance/Flame Charge for a Charizard in general to outspeed even a scarfed Tyranitar. If we predict a switch, we'll probably use one of those speed boosting moves, and then attack accordingly next turn and outspeed it.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
What if Tyranitar switches in to a focus blast instead?

and it only takes a single Dragon Dance/Flame Charge for a Charizard in general to outspeed even a scarfed Tyranitar. If we predict a switch, we'll probably use one of those speed boosting moves, and then attack accordingly next turn and outspeed it.
Because dragon dance/flame charge charizard Y is definitely gonna be a hit. Focus blast, I can understand though.

Last edited:
Because dragon dance/flame charge charizard Y is definitely gonna be a hit. Focus blast, I can understand though.
Flame Charge for Y is actually a very considerable move for him for the reasons I listed. Switching against him can easily result in a Flame Charge. And don't forget it gets boosted by Drought.

Especially when you consider that the opponent doesn't know which Zard you're gonna pull out from Charizard, if they make the wrong guess, it's likely a free chance to use DD/Flame Charge/OHKO, no matter which Mega Zard you're using. Their types are so diverse that they force the opponent into a guessing game sometimes.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on Mega Manetric? Just checked the speed on that boy it's a shame his movepool is somewhat limited to Thunderbolt and Flamethrower and maybe one could add HP Ice or Fighting.

Any thoughts on Mega Manetric? Just checked the speed on that boy it's a shame his movepool is somewhat limited to Thunderbolt and Flamethrower and maybe one could add HP Ice or Fighting.
That is still better than the offensive movepools that most electric types get.

Well, mega scizor has the utility of being better for the bulky sword dance set, has its upgraded defenses allow to take more hits, and it still has roost, and bullet punch to deal with his speed issues, you know?

Also, mega blaziken is better, hands down, as due to having 100 speed, it can afford to run an adamant nature much safely, as normal blaziken would have to run jolly in order to outspeed powerful scarfers early on, and also, adamant mega blaziken is stronger than jolly regular blaziken by around 20 points, while the slightly upgraded 80 defenses allow it to take unboosted priority hits a bit better, which is always nice, and while being stronger and faster than an LO jolly blaziken, it can live longer due to laking the life orb recoil, and hitting a bit harder, which gives it the advantage.

Also, mega abomasnow incresed offenses, and defenses, might make it a bit better, think of it, firing strong blizzards, having priority in ice shard, wood hammer, yadda yadda, it isn't that bad really.

Well, venusaur has leech seed, and synthesis, while i don't see it being OU, it can be a good tank in the lower tiers, laking 2 of its weaknesses, while having boosted defenses, and upgraded 122 special attack, it can be very workable.

I agree with you on alakazam and hera, though

I don't think you guys get the point.

You only get one mega evolution per battle. Wasting on a mega evolution that doesn't give you much benefit is a waste of a mega evolution.

Sure, the mega evolutions might be useful sometimes, but you need to consider that you can only have one per battle.

Should I waste it on Mega Abomasow or Mega Lucario or Gyarados. This is the question you need to ask yourself, not whether the mega evolution is stronger than its base form.

That being said: Mega Venusaur, Abomasnow, Alakzam, Garchomp, and Scizor are pretty much useless

...MegaVenusaur is useless...?

um... how?

Sure, the mega evolutions might be useful sometimes, but you need to consider that you can only have one per battle.
You need to also consider that every team is different. Some teams won't run any mega evolutions. Yes, considering that 'oh, if I want to try using MegaPinsir this means my team can't use MegaAbsol.' is important, but if your megaevolution isn't supremely awesome that sucks, but if you weren't going to use any other mega evolutions and this one gives you even a small benefit then... why wouldn't you use it?

Mega Abomasnow is better than his original form and Mega Scizor has different (viable) applications compared to regular Scizor.

I don't see how you can say that they are "useless".

It's only a waste if there's an alternative that's better for your team. If no other Mega would benefit your specific team as much, who cares?

There is indeed a lot of talk about Mega Manectric/Abomasnow/Aggron being pretty well useless... And well, I suppose I can see why, but I definitely think they'll all have their uses.

I don't know about y'all, but Mega Houndoom seems pretty much like the most useless of them to me. Next to Megardevoir, it has probably the most useless ability of the lot (Solar Power), given 1) the nerf to Drought, and 2) the fact that the best Drought user that exists right now (outside of Groudon) takes up a Mega slot of his own.

Personally, he seems like the least likely to be seen ever of the lot of them. But I dunno, maybe I'm missing something. MIGHT Megadoom be any good....? I guess a few things it has going for it are the ability to actually hit Heatran neutrally now, plus its only non-STAB, non-Hidden Power special move Sludge Bomb becoming more useful, since it keeps Azuzu from walling it... Though I guess Doom is dead to Azumarill anyway unless it runs Sub.

It will probably never get to effectively utilize its ability except perhaps in UU, assuming Drought Ninetales shows up there. Then I suppose it MIGHT be decent...

Megadoom
Flash Fire | Timid 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot / Substitute
- Sludge Bomb / Substitute

Or maybe a mixed NP set with Sucker Punch. *shrug*

Will sun come up when you Megavolve or do you have to switch out and then back in?
....for who, Megazard? Megavolving is permanent throughout a battle until the Mega in question faints, and everytime the Mega (in this case Megazard I guess, since you can't be talking about Mega Houndoom as Solar Power doesn't activate sun) switches in, it will reactivate Drought, yes. I don't know if it refreshes the effect if it switches in while Drought is already active.

I don't know about y'all, but Mega Houndoom seems pretty much like the most useless of them to me
115 speed and 140 special attack is pretty damn impressive. Also has SOME mixed potential for hitting Gengar, Starmie and such with Sucker Punch and/or pursuit. Though that's obviously not ideal. Fire/Dark is fairly solid STAB as well.

It'd really only get to use it's ability with Drought Ninetales, which I think is... okay. Dedicated Sun Teams are kind of a mixed bag now. (They won't have to deal with perma-rain and perma-sand, but they also have a limited timeframe to use some very fragile pokemon) But on the other hand, with 140 special attack it doesn't necessitate solar power anyway.

I'd like to bring up several points regarding Mega Manectric and Mega Tyranitar.

Firstly, Mega Manectric is a much-needed upgrade for Manectric, as the thunderdog is now bulkier, faster AND hits harder. What's so good about Mega Manectric? You are a LOT faster, meaning Choice Scarf matters a lot less, and Manectric can perfectly synergize its normal state and Mega Evolution. Here's why.
Manectric switches into an Electric-type move and attains +1 Special Attack thanks to Lightningrod. With its bolstered Special Attack, it Mega Evolves and basically has 369 Special Attack (assuming Timid) * 1.5, essentially topping off at 553 Special Attack and 405 Speed. Mega Manectric is blindingly fast and basically has Choice Specs power, but with liberty to switch moves. All in all, very much worth the Mega Evolution.

Secondly, while Mega Tyranitar doesn't seem THAT big an improvement, it certainly has some extra perks that grant it usage. The main improvement is that 71 Speed, that puts it in an entirely different Speed tier. Why is this small buff so important? Well, couple that with the improved 100/150/120 Defenses and you have a very bulky Dragon Dancer! The boost in Attack also makes sure Mega Tyranitar will hit very hard (please, no LO arguments here) nonetheless, even while its Tyranitarite takes up its item slot. Assuming a Jolly nature and max Attack/Speed, Mega Tyranitar reaches 427 Attack and 276 Speed. At +1, Speed ends up at 414, now allowing it to outspeed everything up to base 139 Speed, whereas Tyranitar barely outpaces base 132s.

That's my two cents on two overlooked Mega Pokémon that definitely have potential.

I'm also wondering how well Megatar will work with a more supportive build. The overall increase in stats should make it easier to get things out reliably, although the lack of leftovers does hurt. This seems like an alternative that assault vest can't really match up to.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
I don't think you guys get the point.

You only get one mega evolution per battle. Wasting on a mega evolution that doesn't give you much benefit is a waste of a mega evolution.

Should I waste it on Mega Abomasow or Mega Lucario or Gyarados. This is the question you need to ask yourself, not whether the mega evolution is stronger than its base form.

That being said: Mega Venusaur, Abomasnow, Alakzam, Garchomp, and Scizor are pretty much useless
I more or less agree to everything except for garchomp. You can complain about its speed being lowered and its ice weakness and its waste of mega slot but in the hands of a skilled player, a 170 base attack STAB sand force boosted eq is downright shit-in-your-pants scary. It carves a niche for itself by being a wallbreaker like no other, and can really be considered in offensive teams as it has the power of a CB garchomp without being locked into a move, which would otherwise destroy your momentum.

I have not looked through the entire thread yet, so sorry if somebody already mentioned this. I think that Mega-Gengar will probably be sent to Ubers, but in the mean time, isn't Mega-Alakazam a great counter to it? Alakazam is faster and it has a very high special attack, I'm pretty sure it could 1hko Mega-Gengar with Psychic. It also completely turns the tables on Mega-Gengar by Tracing its Shadow Tag. Mega-Alakazam will destroy Mega-Gengar in a 1v1 and Mega-Gengar can't switch out. The only issue is that Mega-Alakazam really has no use other than to counter Gengar, no Magic Guard and no Focus Sash is pretty bad for frail Alakazam.

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
Taking note from a couple earlier posters in this thread, I think that a couple of the more interesting mega-evolutions are being sold short, written off as same-old, same-old. I'm talking about Mega Garchomp and Mega Tyranitar.

Mega Garchomp is interesting because it serves an entirely different function than normal Garchomp does. Yes, the 10 point drop in base speed puts it in a far less desirable speed tier. What's being overlooked, though, is the absolutely immense power that this thing wields, with or without sand. The nerf to autoweather certainly diminishes how amazing Sand Force could have been, but regardless, if sandstorm is up, Garchomp will kill things with magnificent prowess. Even without Life Orb boosting your damage, the substantial bolster of Special Attack to base 125 gives you the ability to wreck Skarmory and Ferrothorn, something that required some investment and nuisance to do before. Garchomp won't be blazing past anything, but it will destroy anything and everything.

Mega Tyranitar is curious because it potential brings back a set that hasn't been popular for some time - Dragon Dance. While ordinary Tyranitar can still do ordinary Tyranitar things, the boost in speed to base 71 and the gargantuan defenses of Mega Tyranitar make it much easier to set up. After one dragon dance, Jolly Mega Tyranitar reaches the vaunted base 130 speed tier. Mega Tyranitar should be a hands-down better dancer than Assault Vest Tyranitar, given his massive boost in attack, and may outclass LO Tyranitar as well.

Regarding Mega Houndoom is its movepool really so impressive that it cant just run Sunny Day itself? So the sun isnt permanent. The effective difference is unnoticeable unless a Houndoom is consistently capable of staying in battle for more than 5 turns anyway. And its not so bad when you consider it like a one turn Nasty Plot and SpD boost albeit specifically for Fire and Water moves but really, what else is it going to run outside Fire Blast, Dark Pulse and Solar Beam?

I have not looked through the entire thread yet, so sorry if somebody already mentioned this. I think that Mega-Gengar will probably be sent to Ubers, but in the mean time, isn't Mega-Alakazam a great counter to it? Alakazam is faster and it has a very high special attack, I'm pretty sure it could 1hko Mega-Gengar with Psychic. It also completely turns the tables on Mega-Gengar by Tracing its Shadow Tag. Mega-Alakazam will destroy Mega-Gengar in a 1v1 and Mega-Gengar can't switch out. The only issue is that Mega-Alakazam really has no use other than to counter Gengar, no Magic Guard and no Focus Sash is pretty bad for frail Alakazam.

Not only does shadow tag cancel out opposing shadow tag (to prevent gen III's infamous wobbuffet stalemates), but ghost types are now completely immune to trapping. So that won't work.

About Mega Mawile: isn't her HP a bit too low to tank stuff? Her Attack is fantastic, sure, but I'm not sure that her bulk will be able to live up to the hype. Volcarona, for one, can most probably nab the OHKO with Fire Blast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)