Other Viable Megas

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Aboma is in no way one of the worst megas. It is by far the most specialized one as it plays as a Trick Room sweeper, but the issue here is the lack of truly great TR setters rather than Aboma itself.

Hail is also extremely useful to break Focus Sashes and Sturdy, a nice bonus given that most of them are immune to Sandstorm.
There is by no means a lack of viable Trick Room setters

Bronzong can tr, sr, and boom
Aromatisse can't be taunted
Cress had lunar dance which is invaluable on tr
Porygon 2 is not dark weak and is super strong with download
Etc.

Trick room is actually one of the strongest playstyles in OU

However, Aboma is not particularly viable on a tr team. Next to behemoths like mega mawile (which is almost a neccesity, using up the mega slot anyway), crawdaunt, exploud, heatran, etc., it is weak af, and it struggles to nab those super important 1hkos that are a neccesity on TR

Aboma hardly fares well in ru. With mons like talonflame and aegislash running amock, its job is made even more difficult in ou

There is by no means a lack of viable Trick Room setters

Bronzong can tr, sr, and boom
Aromatisse can't be taunted
Cress had lunar dance which is invaluable on tr
Porygon 2 is not dark weak and is super strong with download
Etc.

Trick room is actually one of the strongest playstyles in OU

However, Aboma is not particularly viable on a tr team. Next to behemoths like mega mawile (which is almost a neccesity, using up the mega slot anyway), crawdaunt, exploud, heatran, etc., it is weak af, and it struggles to nab those super important 1hkos that are a neccesity on TR

Aboma hardly fares well in ru. With mons like talonflame and aegislash running amock, its job is made even more difficult in ou
I think you should try abomasnow on trick room again. It is a great trick room abuser. There are plenty of steel and fairy types that abuse trick room, and not too many great grass or ice type trick room abusers. On top of all that, abomasnow has priority, a solid movepool, chip damage, perfect accuracy blizzard, mixed attacking potential, great bulk, and works well outside of trick room as a bulky attacker as well. It may not be amazing compared to other megas, but it and mega banette are far more useful than people give them credit for.

I think you should try abomasnow on trick room again. It is a great trick room abuser. There are plenty of steel and fairy types that abuse trick room, and not too many great grass or ice type trick room abusers. On top of all that, abomasnow has priority, a solid movepool, chip damage, perfect accuracy blizzard, mixed attacking potential, great bulk, and works well outside of trick room as a bulky attacker as well. It may not be amazing compared to other megas, but it and mega banette are far more useful than people give them credit for.
Nah, I think Mega Abomasnow sucks. It has a whopping 7 weaknesses with few usable resists, because a lot of the mons it does resist carry a coverage move that happens to hit Abomasnow (not hard with that typing). It has speed so low it may as well not have a speed stat at all. You and others say it's good in Trick Room for god knows why, but it's completely outclassed by Mega Mawile, as MikeDawg said. Even more on its typing, Abomasnow hates hazards and the only teams people are so keen to use it on cannot handle multiple layers of it. Trick Room isn't even a strong play style, it's barely viable (to my knowledge- there aren't too many good players running around with Trick Room) though it'd likely be better when certain things go, I'll give it that. Hmm.. It's also not difficult to counter and most, if not all, teams have at least one mon that can tank a hit and KO back, and if you're forced to switch while Trick Room is up.. They could also have Stealth Rock on top of that. Lastly, dedicated Hail teams are horrid, so it's going to be doing your team harm, too.

Don't go and tell me to try it out etc etc, because I have. I really like Abomasnow, but I don't think it's a good option on a team someone is trying to win with.

Last edited:

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Snover also has chip damage and a perfect accuracy blizzard. electrivire can go mixed. Snorlax has great bulk. Wigglytuff has a solid movepool.

That doesn't make them great pokemon, even when put together.

Abomasnow is straight up weak, and its typing isn't doing it an incredible amount of favors. The reason that there are so few grass or ice type abusers is because they generally offer nothing in the way of coverage (grass has like 8 billion things that resist it lol). Yes, maybe abomasnow can get a super effective hit on dragonite and keldeo and mega gyarados, etc. But so can mawile, and mawile is 2 times stronger (and it isn't killed by the likes of talonflame). Hell, if rocks are up than exploud can 1hko them all with a neutral attack. Its bulk is nice, but given how fast-paced trick room is, it is somewhat irrelevant. If you can't ohko the mon in front of you, then you are wasting a valuable turn. Switching is similar. There is very rarely need to switch out of an offensive pokemon unless it is to a setter, so aboma's bulk/resistances offer less utility than you might think. Yes, if something like skarm comes in on mawile you generally need to switch, but switching out of a wall isn't problematic because your seemingly frail sweepers have max hp and can easily tank more than one weak hit.

Use mawile. don't waste your mega slot.

Nah, I think Mega Abomasnow sucks. It has a whopping 7 weaknesses with few usable resists, because a lot of the mons it does resist carry a coverage move that happens to hit Abomasnow (not hard with that typing). It has speed so low it may as well not have a speed stat at all. You and others say it's good in Trick Room for god knows why, but it's completely outclassed by Mega Mawile, as MikeDawg said. Even more on its typing, Abomasnow hates hazards and the only teams people are so keen to use it on cannot handle multiple layers of it. Trick Room isn't even a strong play style, it's barely viable (to my knowledge- there aren't too many good players running around with Trick Room) though it'd likely be better when certain things go, I'll give it that. Hmm.. It's also not difficult to counter and most, if not all, teams have at least one mon that can tank a hit and KO back, and if you're forced to switch while Trick Room is up.. They could also have Stealth Rock on top of that. Lastly, dedicated Hail teams are horrid, so it's going to be doing your team harm, too.

Don't go and tell me to try it out etc etc, because I have. I really like Abomasnow, but I don't think it's a good option on a team someone is trying to win with.
And I am telling you that mega-abomasnow is better than you realize. If you were to build around abomasnow, you could make great use of it. Mawile is obviously better, but considering how different the two are, Mawile is not a hinderance to abomasnow's viability at all. Ice IS the best offensive typing in the game. Pokes like landorus, heatran, skarm, azumarill, rotom-w, etc can be problems for trick room teams from time to time. Abomasnow handles them all in trick room. Ice shard is also HUGE outside of trick room for pokes like dnite and garchomp. It has a nice niche on trick room if used correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)