Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

I have nothing on my plate after Banette and was already looking at redoing Braixen, so if your plate is full, I could always do it next.

Hello people. I have made a Mega Alakazam Sprite for Pokémon Showdown. Like my rejected Mega Blastoise, it really isn't that great, but, at this moment in time, Mega Alakazam lacks a sprite, so...
Is it decent enough to warrant use?

View attachment 2518
Yes, I admit that I should have made the top spoon vertically upright, but I was trying to make the sprite to a 64 x 64 scale like the Generation 5 games use.
Also...I would be willing (given permission) to edit the Vivillon sprite to make the different coloured forms, should they be wanted on the simulator.
We actually had a Mega Zam get made not too long ago, it just has yet to be added. Also, Gen V uses a 96x96 scale, although most non-legends try to fit into 80x80. Gen III used 64x64, and Gen IV used 80x80. So yeah.

Also time for me to stop procrastinating on homework so I'll leave this here:
Hit it up with critiques and I'll get back to it later today if need be.
EDIT: Posted the frontsprite here as well as I made a minor edit to it's pointy headtail, not realizing it had a second zipper originally.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's been bugging me after a while from the day I caught a Carbink in my game, so I finally decided to stop being lazy and updated its backsprite as best I could:

No, I agree, it looks like Barbaracle only has one eye on the center head. The sprite has three eyes when it should have four.

In game, Barbaracle has 2 eyes and actually on the current sprite there is two eyes. But I understand where Soapmobile is coming from, since the sprite on the spreadsheet must not be the edited one and it only has one eye. The only problem here is that the spreadsheet has not been edited yet to accommodate the new two-eyed sprite. Everyone stop worrying!

Can I ask a dumb question? I noticed that the shiny greninja on sim is just slightly brighter colors? Is this a placeholder or did I miss something?

CoolStoryBrobat

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Before anybody thinks I've been dead and just not posting anything, I actually finished this Mega Manectric sprite almost 2 weeks ago. Showed it to Layell on IRC and he said he was gonna do a bit of QC for it since it was a little large. Though it's not totally evident, I decided to take the time to shrink it a little bit myself. My name was actually on the spreadsheet for this thing, if anybody's asking:

If this is approved, I'll scrounge up a backsprite for this as well

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
it looks really good brobat. I think its just the lightning bolt that makes it look bigger than it really is. Just one thing that really isnt necessary. Think you could make it more fiercer? like making it look like its growling or something since it looks relatively passive....well actually that could be done in the animation when it gets that far i guess but still just going to throw it out there.

CoolStoryBrobat

it looks really good brobat. I think its just the lightning bolt that makes it look bigger than it really is. Just one thing that really isnt necessary. Think you could make it more fiercer? like making it look like its growling or something since it looks relatively passive....well actually that could be done in the animation when it gets that far i guess but still just going to throw it out there.
Thanks for the critique...this sprite was actually a draw-over of an ingame sprite someone capped, with a bit of editing done all around, which is why the pose is the way it is. The lightning bolt does look a bit superfluous, but that's...well actually how it is, lol. But I do see what you're saying, I will touch it up, but I do wanna see what others think on it as well

I may not have reserved it, but I did Mega Gyarados.
http://i.imgur.com/64zgtOF.png

For size, I compared it with Giratina's Origin Forme, which according to the Pokedex should be slightly taller than Gyarados and Mega Gyarados.
http://i.imgur.com/LvNmwUH.png

Don't count on me to do Backsprites, or Animations for this one, I may do a shiny on my spare time.
It's a good sprite, I'll say that much, but it seems like the proportions are way off. Having seen what Mega Gyrados looks like in-game, the fins are more of an add-on than an actual part of his height. In the comparison you showed, Mega Gyrados' main body should be about as large as Giratina's, and the fins on his back would take a similar role in the sprite as Giratina's wings would. In addition, in Generation V, most fully-evolved large-sized pokemon like Gyrados are fitted for the full canvas size, or at the very least 80x80. It's not a bad sprite by any means, it's just really small for Mega Gyrados.

I may not have reserved it, but I did Mega Gyarados.
http://i.imgur.com/64zgtOF.png

For size, I compared it with Giratina's Origin Forme, which according to the Pokedex should be slightly taller than Gyarados and Mega Gyarados.
http://i.imgur.com/LvNmwUH.png

Don't count on me to do Backsprites, or Animations for this one, I may do a shiny on my spare time.
It's really small, like aXl said, but it's also really dark, which I think could be helped by making the base colours just a bit brighter and perhaps using different colours for the outline? I don't recall exactly how dark it actually is in-game, but I don't think it's that dark, at least.

leafbarrett

Better than he thinks
I'm currently splitting the Mega Gardevoir sprite into components for animation. I will not be doing the animation myself, because it will turn out horrendously if I do, and I don't want that. Hell, I'm not sure the pieces will be the proper anatomy- if someone wants to fix my work, then by all means, go ahead. I'll post it when I'm done (will edit this post if nobody else has posted by then).

EDIT: Okay, done. The resulting assembled sprites were actually slightly different. I also fixed the shiny sprite's skin (shiny has purple-tinted skin, not blue like normal).

The piece images are... kinda big. This is a compressed one without the instructions and assembled final (to use as a guide). 1 is the topmost piece, 8 (front) or 9 (back) is the bottommost, and the rest go in between.

Here's the normal one full-size...
And here's the shiny.
And for GIMP users, here's the .xcf file. The assembled sprites are broken into layers, so that part of the work is already done.

Again, feel free to fix the anatomy or what have you.

Last edited:
Hey. I thought I would contribute to the project since I have some experience with spriting. I've started with delphox here since I've heard a a few complaints about the existing sprite. It's about 14 colours.

Don't know if you guys want it or not, but I'm happy to submit more if it gets a good response.
fyi, I will be uploading my sprites to my own deviantart account soon. But I will state in the desc that I have submitted here to avoid claims of stealing.
delphox.png

It's a good sprite, I'll say that much, but it seems like the proportions are way off. Having seen what Mega Gyrados looks like in-game, the fins are more of an add-on than an actual part of his height. In the comparison you showed, Mega Gyrados' main body should be about as large as Giratina's, and the fins on his back would take a similar role in the sprite as Giratina's wings would. In addition, in Generation V, most fully-evolved large-sized pokemon like Gyrados are fitted for the full canvas size, or at the very least 80x80. It's not a bad sprite by any means, it's just really small for Mega Gyrados.
It's really small, like aXl said, but it's also really dark, which I think could be helped by making the base colours just a bit brighter and perhaps using different colours for the outline? I don't recall exactly how dark it actually is in-game, but I don't think it's that dark, at least.
Thanks for the feedback guys. Here is the new one:
96x96_MegaGyarados.png
For Comparison:
Comparison.png

Went ahead and made a Trevenant sprite, since it's my favourite pokemon right now. I'm not sure what sprites need to be done or what needs replacing, but regardless I'm going to be doing them all for my deviant account any way. This one is about 12 colours.
spookytree.png

any requests for any re-do's?

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
one has already been made of him Galifia An animation for it was made as well so I dont think it will be needed but that does look REALLY good. (ideas for trevenant's rare animation. sweet) But just so you dont make the mistake again, theres a list on the first post that shows whats needed. Just say what you want to do or adjust from there.

one has already been made of him Galifia An animation for it was made as well so I dont think it will be needed but that does look REALLY good. (ideas for trevenant's rare animation. sweet) But just so you dont make the mistake again, there's a list on the first post that shows whats needed. Just say what you want to do or adjust from there.
That's fine. As I said, I'm creating the sprites for my deviant page anyway. I'm glad you like it regardless. Any way, how does one make b/w style animated sprites anyway? I know some of the process, like splitting the sprite up, but how is the actual animation done? I would love to try.

I'm not going to lie though, some existing sprites are not necessarily bad sprites, in fact some very good, if not excellent sprites. But don't really look like sprites GF would produce.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
welp a way to think of making an animation is with a bouncing ball sticky note cartoon. Each sticky note (frame/layer) has a small change to the sprite. The more sticky notes you use, the smoother the ball moving should look. And you keep making more and more frames until there you have it. An animation. Of course you need to use a program that supports layering like photoshop but its not all that difficult to do. Just takes a little practice to get the hang of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)