Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Yep, no ones sprites ever seem to match up with gf's style. Even they are inconsistent with their style sometimes. But there's always room for improvement.

My DA account is at http://galifiastudios.deviantart.com/. However, I've only really uploaded g/s style devamp sprites on this account. However I have done a lot of spriting for the 4chan vp fan game as well as general spriting as a hobby for a few years. I will Be uploading what I've done in terms of gen 6 sprites to my DA account soon.

Nice to meet you too Princess!

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
friendships are always nice lol. Anyway, just finished editing goomy's front sprite with a tail. Think the tail is noticeable enough?

goomy-final-draft.gif

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ito, ugh, redoing animations has got to be a pain, but I have something for you. Sorry for the trouble.

The current animated frontsprite and backsprite have very different goo trail lengths, and I feel like they should match up better. The top two are the "short trail" sprites, with the current front and an edited back. Likewise, the bottom two are the "long trailed" ones, with the current back and an edited front. I'd recommend editing either the front or the back animation to match up properly, depending on whether or not the short or long one looks better. I personally think that the short one looks better (AKA keep the front and change the back), I'll explain why in the HIDE tag below. But the long trailed one is still good.

The screenshot of Goomy in-game from Serebii has the goo trail not quite as visible, since it should be mostly behind it and this is more of a front view.

Likewise, the Dream World artwork shows the trail as being a lot more visible, but Goomy's leaning forward kind of indicates motion, like it's sliding across the ground, causing it to trail behind more. Since it definitely won't be moving when it's on PS, the longer trail doesn't make as much sense.

There's quite a few sprites that I'm looking forward to animating (in particular Mega Gardevoir/Ampharos) that I'm still waiting on Wyverii's QC for, so it looks like I'll get started on Sylveon now. princessofmusic, Sylveon's eyes seem a little misshapen (too "sad"), and the tail seems a bit too short now. Also on the backsprite, the ribbon on the front right leg leaves too much empty space where it curves around. Other than that, it looks pretty great. The overall proportions are definitely better.

EDIT: paintseagull, I was actually planning on changing the colors to match Sliggoo and Goodra after whatever animation edits are finished. I think that would be easier than changing them before.

Last edited:

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm back!

LU, as long as you're changing stuff, Goomy's colours bother me. The green is too saturated and the top colour is too pale, should be more pinkypurple. I also think it looks unbalanced to have his goo trail on the right to be further down than the left.

Also, I'd like to help with animations soon :)
Plus, hit me up if anyone wants a backsprite sketch or redline done for any sprites.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
oh thanks legit. I made the back one have a longer tails because it position. Like its face away from you slanted left and it makes its tail look kinda longer than when you see it from the front. Just went between these two poses layell posted earlier.

Goomy angle back: http://i.imgur.com/Uj1QH5F.jpg
Goomy stragiht on back http://i.imgur.com/XOj3NYF.jpg

Well that was my thought process for it but maybe it is a little too much tail in the back. I'll figure something out.

Oh and I would love to reserve heliolisk for animation when its ready. Favorite poke this gen haha

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Galifia: I love your sprites! They're much better than the ones we had. Delphox is a bit big, but still really good. If you want to try your hand at Tyrunt or Pancham, that would be nice!

princessofmusic: Yeah, that works a lot better. Could you move the highlights on the eyes so that it doesn't look like its staring at its forehead?

As for me:

I started QCing the starters, but they turned more into redos in the end.
I'll post the original sprites as well as in-game screenshots so you can compare

Hey, what program would you say is the best to use for animating sprites?. so far I'm using gimp, but the process, although working, is extremely tedious.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah ok if we are reworking goomy animations sure lets figure out everything that can be done, so we can never have to bother with it again.

pom I love your hair and colour edits, but I'm really not sure about the eyes and the legs. There is a precedent for having two eyes be exactly the same in Eevee among others. There is also a certain point I feel that legs can get too small that makes them look starved. I also really don't care what when guy bothered to say on fb when I get over 400 likes and random people telling me the sprites look amazing on PS/smogon. So with that said.

This sprites legs are already thinner than the other eeveelutions, if someone can get the round eyes to look great without making the face too fat they are free to try but I do think this sylveon has all the right stuff.

Nice stuff as well Arkeis.

Though I did make the following edits

also seriously if anyone else wants access to the chart please PM me I like having contributors on the chart.

Last edited:
Currently animating a sprite. Are we including pose animations that b/w sprites usually have after 4 loops? where they do something different in the movement.
Or is that too much work? because I can, and have started work on it.
trevy.gif

Also, tips on easier, less tedious methods of animation would be nice.
Working on back sprite animation now

Currently animating a sprite. Are we including pose animations that b/w sprites usually have after 4 loops? where they do something different in the movement.
Or is that too much work? because I can, and have started work on it.
View attachment 2609
Also, tips on easier, less tedious methods of animation would be nice.
Working on back sprite animation now
Damn man, you have talent.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Galifia if you are interested in animating things not already done I recommend looking at the chart and the first post in general.

Galifia if you are interested in animating things not already done I recommend looking at the chart and the first post in general.
Although the existing trevenant sprite has been animated, and amazingly in fact. I do think the sprite itself is lacking, and doesn't actually look like trevenant. I can't say much for my own sprite, as it's hard to judge ones own work. But I think something does needs to be done to improve the existing sprite, as looking at it critically, it isn't very good and is not anywhere near close to trevenants proportions or GF's style of spriting.

furthermore, that animation was a test to see how to animate. I don't really care too much if it's used or not. The point is the existing one needs to be redone/fixed imo, despite the great efforts it must of taken to animate.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I see criticism and dislike for my sprites! I'll say that many of them I've stuck up are based off of either Sugimori art or leaks or, heck, even before this project was even initialized. Hence, I know that there are differences between their clear design and my pre-emptive sprites. I've been aiming for completion, not perfection. Hence, I don't mind people making them more accurate or spriting new sprites entirely (you have the green light, aXl; I just want to check if the sprite is well-sized). :)

However: contributors, if you can, please prioritize pokemon that don't have a full set of sprites at all. We've got many front sprites, but no back sprite is less appealing than a half-baked one. Mega-evolutions are seen more frequently than first-stage pokemon, yet we've still got a quarter of them without backsprites. I've been spriting Noibat, Greninja, and Avalugg (off the top of my head) since my last post, as the latter two were missing backsprites. I should be working on mega-evolution sprites that still are missing backsprites as well.

Chespin's eye bothered me x__x

chespin eye edit.png

Use if you want, or not, but the eye on the old one just looked weird IMO @__@

Also are you planning to use the shiny recolor for Quilladin that I posted a while back? Just curious. It was a direct pallet swap but it looked a little weird, I wonder if it's okay to change the number of colors for the shinies... (Nobody really commented on it or anything so I wonder if people just missed it.)

Shiny:

Legitimate Username I made the eyes smaller, but they still look kind of "sad". However, Sylveon's eyes actually aren't perfectly oval; they're very slightly angled/pointed. I fixed the tail and the ribbon.

Arkeis I would've moved the highlights, but I made the eyes themselves smaller... is that fine?

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
SO MANY SPRITES SO LITTLE TIME

Look I edited Quany's back to match an existing front, may need to make longer? Probably.

Galifia thank you for the fix and taking the time to also provide a complete replacement of the static and animation. With how you introduced it I cannot help but think it's at a rave but maybe you tainted it that way for me idk.

Only the most minor of Sylv edits, matching boot shading front to back, changed shiny colours slightly so they aren't exact alternates of normal (this might be helpful for animation maybe, either way it's a good practice)

Do I have a hatred for one pixel long highlights on massive bodies? Perhaps. Once I get Hera ingame I might take some more shots at QC on this.

ALSO

I have realized I cannot do giant fierce four legged fire types, first Pyroar and now Houndoom. If you would like to take over the back for Houndoom go ahead, also if you want the little work I did PM me. I don't even want too many people to see it I just can't do it.

chespin more edits.png

Any better? Worse?

...Also the face shape and toe shape bugged me @__@ So I edited those too... lol I'm not really sure if it looks amazing or not... haha I'm like, I know the basic dos and don'ts of spriting pretty well but I'm kinda bad at scratch spriting ^^; So I'm never sure if things look okay when I do edits >__<

Anyway something had to be done about Chespin's feet because those um. claws? toes? don't seem to get separated like the old sprite showed. The game art shows them stuck together so.. yeah

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
made some edits to the current heliolisk sprite since some features on it didnt match up with the ingame picture on the pokedex such as his tail and eyes. I explained it in the below.

heliolisk.png
new
old
As you can see, its orange stripe on its tail does not have the zig zag markings like the rest of his body. Its actually a solid orange. Also, its tail does not thin out that way. It really stays a bit thick at the tip of the tail. So fixed that as well. Another thing I fixed up was its hands. In the pokedex, his fingers are well defined. Since hands are small, theres no way I can get it that fully seperated but I did make the individual fingers more noticeable.

Now for the eyes, when I look at its pokedex picture, it doesnt have a flat side. Its eye has a slight slant to the flat side of the eye. Might still need a little more slanting though. The eyes are also a bit higher since the eyes and mouth do not connect. So raised his eyes up by one pixel while making the mouth a pixel bigger since it should be more noticable. Also gave him a nostril since he was missing one. Finally, I added a line above his feet since he has his legs bent. Dunno if I got the line right though. I'll fix up the back sprite and post it up when I get the change.

Last edited:
With how you introduced it I cannot help but think it's at a rave but maybe you tainted it that way for me idk.
LOL, but Layell, Trevenant is only celebrating because it's finally HALLOWEEN!

Merry scary holiday to everyone. As we know, Halloween is all about costumes and stuff. Anyway, Florges is a really big fan of the Gamecube games, and she's dressing up.

I tried to tell her that maybe she was going a bit overboard, but she didn't listen. Oh well...

Last edited:

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
LOL, but Layell, Trevenant is only celebrating because it's finally HALLOWEEN!

Merry scary holiday to everyone. As we know, Halloween is all about costumes and stuff. Anyway, Florges is a really big fan of the Gamecube games, and she's dressing up.

I tried to tell her that maybe she was going a bit overboard, but she didn't listen. Oh well...
I like the trevenant smile. I think it makes it look sinister because of how its eye looks but thats just me. and omg that florges. is that a purple tux it's wearing? xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)