Other Viable Megas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mega Mawile honestly scares me. There's got to be some surefire way to beat it, best I can come up with is WoWng it when you predict a sucker punch...

How does Weezing fare against MegaMawile?

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
The best counter for mawile is basically aegilash, until I work my way around it. Either way if you can stall out trick room, things such as talonflame and heatran should work. Bear in mind if they're willing to sacrifice mawile, or you don't run a near max defense set, it will still deal very heavy damage if not KO. Same for volcarona, but flame body can put it out of action. Sableye will always more or less force a switch. Equally, sword dance sets will require massive prediction to beat usually. Trying not to die whilst under trick room, having hazards out, outspeeding and KOing with stuff like talonflame, and after that trying to stop tr being set again. Big threat, aegilash is a deadly check. To an extent it depends on the set.

The best counter for mawile is basically aegilash, until I work my way around it. Either way if you can stall out trick room, things such as talonflame and heatran should work. Bear in mind if they're willing to sacrifice mawile, or you don't run a near max defense set, it will still deal very heavy damage if not KO. Same for volcarona, but flame body can put it out of action. Sableye will always more or less force a switch. Equally, sword dance sets will require massive prediction to beat usually. Trying not to die whilst under trick room, having hazards out, outspeeding and KOing with stuff like talonflame, and after that trying to stop tr being set again. Big threat, aegilash is a deadly check. To an extent it depends on the set.
Aegislash gets murdered by Mawile.

If Aegislash attacks unboosted he's barely gonna scratch her.

252+ Atk (custom) Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mawile: 41-49 (13.48 - 16.11%) -- 9HKO at best
252+ Atk (custom) Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mawile: 121-144 (39.8 - 47.36%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk (custom) Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mawile: 121-144 (39.8 - 47.36%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk (custom) Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mawile: 91-108 (29.93 - 35.52%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

And then let's see SpA based Modest Aegislash (or Quiet whatev)

252+ SpA (custom) Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mawile: 154-183 (50.65 - 60.19%) -- 85.94% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA (custom) (Move 1) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mawile: 312-368 (102.63 - 121.05%) -- guaranteed OHKO (that's HP fire on no SpD investment Mawile, it BARELY ohkos)

Meanwhile, Mawile can counter with crazy damage even on shield form :

252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Shield Form Aegislash : 232-274 (71.6 - 84.56%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.

If Aegislash opens with King's Shield, Mawile can just grab a sub / Sword Dance then laugh.

+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def (custom): 356-420 (109.87 - 129.62%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Impish 252/252 aegislash)

The only way Aegislash can beat Mawile is if Aegislash wastes Sucker Punch's PP, or if Mawile doesn't predict and Sucker Punch correctly. Then Aegislash can OHKO Mawile with a +6 Shadow Sneak. Otherwise, Mawile wins.

Shleyas, in your calculations, Mawile is probably resisting Aegislash's Ghost attacks because the calculator hasn't been updated with the type changes.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
The only trouble is is that king's shield, which is often carries, totally neuters mawile, at least for some other threat to then take care of it. All of its viable moves are contact iirc (iron head, sucker punch, brick break, play rough, rock slide, fire fang). So if it runs that move it's a legit counter.
In my opinion this means you need to pair it with a counter. Even still this depends massively on what set it runs.. ultimately, a universal counter would ideally have bulk on both sides, plus a good defensive typing, as well as strong special attack, with a viable special attacking Movepool. Under trick room Goodra actually does this pretty well with specs flamethrower imo, although it lacks major physical bulk, so if it's set up SD then it is too deadly. Then again since in a trick room team you usually want to run mawile under, you can invest max sp. atk and then max defense rather than max HP to balance its bulk better and take on aegilash better, even though overall bulk is somewhat compromised.

The only trouble is is that king's shield, which is often carries, totally neuters mawile, at least for some other threat to then take care of it. All of its viable moves are contact iirc (iron head, sucker punch, brick break, play rough, rock slide, fire fang). So if it runs that move it's a legit counter.
Sucker Punch just fails if a status move is used, right? So King's Shield doesn't actually drop Mawile's attack in that situation.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
It did for me testing on the PO simulator. Might be a simulator error. I don't own a copy of the game, can someone test in-game for me?

[I've reported it on PO forums that it might be a bug so if it is they can fix it]

If sucker punch fails on kings shield I assume it wont drop attack? Unless anyone tested otherwise.

So either you both pp stall eachother, and you then get your shit wrecked without protect, or you fuck up and attack into sucker punch. They can also attack into your 3rd attempt or w/e and get -2, but your odds of pulling off that many are low, so...Unless Im forgetting a scenario its hard to win without lucking out hard PLUS them simultaneously misplaying

It did for me testing on the PO simulator. Might be a simulator error. I don't own a copy of the game, can someone test in-game for me?

[I've reported it on PO forums that it might be a bug so if it is they can fix it]
That is a bug. Sucker Punch does not strike on King's Shield. Which is why I said that the only way Aegislash can beat Mawile is if Aegislash can use King's Shield/Swords Dance to waste Mawile's Sucker Punch PP.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Ok, so when the simulator is fixed, then it's not a counter any more to mawile (just a check). Still, the only trouble with mawile is a total lack of healing means that even though it smashes through opponents, it doesn't OHKO everything, and has to function under trick room, so even chip damage brings it down pretty quickly, unless you can pull off wish-passing, which isn't very easy. Oh, and it hates burns (hi sableye).

Mega Mawile honestly scares me. There's got to be some surefire way to beat it, best I can come up with is WoWng it when you predict a sucker punch...
What about Mega Aggron? Can take all of Mawile's attacks no problem, doesn't get affected by Trick Room (same speed), and can 2HKO with Earthquake, even against intimidate! Heck, if the Mawile have Swords Dance, it won't even be able to out-damage it's Rest!

Seriously, Mega Aggron is the tankiest tank there ever was! This kind of match-up is what it was born for!

Edit: actually, missed out on something. A standard Aggron won't beat a Mawile with Swords Dance. Aggron works normally because it can take 4 Sucker Punches before going down and can switch in easily. But with Mawile boosted with even a single dance, Aggron can't get it's two hits in. In that case, it'll only work if the Aggron completely focused on attack, where it gets a 75% chance to OHKO. Still a counter, but... not as good of one.

Last edited:
The only way Aegislash can beat Mawile is if Aegislash wastes Sucker Punch's PP, or if Mawile doesn't predict and Sucker Punch correctly. Then Aegislash can OHKO Mawile with a +6 Shadow Sneak. Otherwise, Mawile wins.

Shleyas, in your calculations, Mawile is probably resisting Aegislash's Ghost attacks because the calculator hasn't been updated with the type changes.
Only for Shadow Sneak, still.

252+ Atk (custom) Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 0 Def (custom): 67-79 (22.03 - 25.98%) -- possible 4HKO

Mega Absol's been doing really well for me. Gonna test this:

252 Atk/- Def/4 SpA/252+ Spe
Pursuit
Sucker Punch
Superpower
Fire Blast (was using Jolly and Substitute in this slot before, but it seems a tad redundant)

It deals nicely with most hazard users and leads, can revenge/pursuit trap with the best of them with its massive speed and attack, and loves taking on walls with Magic Bounce and awesome coverage. It plays a bit like a combination of Scizor/Scarftar and Espeon.

So if we were to compare how we would use the pokemon with its mega stone vs how we would use it w/o mega stone and another item. I would say Mega Pinsir is definitely worth it with the Aerilate Quick Attack, and boosted stats, it definitely has changed (For the better) in flexibility in usage. However I don't know if its worth being the one Mega Evolution you use on your team...since there are definitely much better Megas out there

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So if we were to compare how we would use the pokemon with its mega stone vs how we would use it w/o mega stone and another item. I would say Mega Pinsir is definitely worth it with the Aerilate Quick Attack, and boosted stats, it definitely has changed (For the better) in flexibility in usage. However I don't know if its worth being the one Mega Evolution you use on your team...since there are definitely much better Megas out there
better is a subjective terms and different megas do different things.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Add MegaLucario to the OP? MegaLuke + StickyWeb is so amazing imo. You don't even need that though -- CC is really strong, backed by a decent speed tier of 112 to top it off! MegaPinsir is amazing too; honestly +2 (or maybe it was +4?) QA did like 74% to Scizor! Like, arceusdamn that isn't even STAB!

And yeah, MegaScizor and MegaSnow are not worth it, etc. I'll probably comment more once I've tested them all out in standard play.

Been decimating with MMawile (Adamant/Intimidate/252Atk/252HP/4SpD/Swords Dance/Play Rough/Brick Break/Sucker Punch) on Wifi, and seeing its success is making me want to try out another, less obviously good Mega.

Started looking at MAmpharos. Kinda looks like a defensive set on MAmphy would be nice, because of its boosted SpAtk which doesn't need much investment, but the loss of Leftovers recovery (or any recovery at all) is a bit disappointing.

MGyarados is... laughable, from what I've seen when facing against it. I'd much rather use regular Gyarados. Losing that Earthquake immunity is not doing itself any favors.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
i used a rest talk gyrados with water fall and roar as my check to mega luke in my stall and it completely countered it. Completely satisfied with results.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Megampharos gets Cotton Guard.. which is a bizarre move, but since it's so bulky, multiplying its defense by 2.5 in 1 turn is probably a solid option, so long as you can make sure it tanks something not called earthquake before it sets up ;)

People saying mega scizor is useless are truly ignorant. You guys must have been spoilt by the standard CB scizor. SD LO/Lefties/Plate scizor was amazing as well and now mega scizor takes it beyond. If mega gengar gets banned I will be using mega scizor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)