Other Creative / Underrated Sets Thread (Read the thread, NO SHITTY GIMMICKS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully this does not fall into the "shitty gimmick" status but not only this set is hilarious but it also works :

Trollface (Gengar) @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate -> Shadow tag
EVs: 252 Spd / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Substitute
- Destiny Bond

because it's the only pokemon with Perish song and a trapping ability, it at least deserve a try even though its low defences is its main flaw. It's great on defensive/support mons like Ferrothorn. Shadow tag doesn't work with Blissey for some random reason though.
Perish song can be a last resort trolling if it has low health ;).

Landorus-I@Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Sludge Wave

I know this is neutral on most Dragons, and partner it with a Fairy, and you've your old wallbreaker again, this time with Sludge Wave added to surprise the Fairies, as well as the occasional Celebi and other grass mons. And all its attacks hit very, very hard.

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force (custom) Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Togekiss: 211-250 (56.41 - 66.84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force (custom) Sludge Wave vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Togekiss: 286-338 (76.67 - 90.61%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force (custom) Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 387-458 (95.79 - 113.36%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock vs 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus: 260-308 (81.5 - 96.55%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force (custom) Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 250-294 (63.45 - 74.61%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force (custom) Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Gardevoir: 250-294 (90.25 - 106.13%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force (custom) Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD (custom): 192-229 (48.73 - 58.12%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

EDIT: Sylveon calcs

Last edited:
Togekiss@Assault Vest
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpA
Bold/Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Dazzling Gleam/Shadow Ball
- Secret Power

The idea of this set is keeping the paraflinch strategy while having an Assault Vest. Secret Power on Buildings have 30% paralyze rate (increased to 60% with Serene Grace). SP works the same as Body Slam (move that can only be obtained by 3rd Gen Tutor) and allows Togekiss to paralyze ground types.

Bold nature and 252 Def makes Togekiss Sturdy enough to survive a Bullet Punch from a Choice Banded Scizor 92% of the time (after SR damage). Assault Vest keeps high it's SDef.

Tyrantrum @ Leftovers (or Life Orb)
Ability: Both are good
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash/Dragon Claw
- Dragon Claw/Ice-Thunder Fang
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance

This works really good against physical sweepers who aren't super effective against him. Thanks to his respectable HP and Defense he can set up on most physical sweepers, while getting 2~3 attacks to go down. You can easily set up gainst Talonflame, and then he can proceed to kill everything with +1 or +2 boosted STAB Head Smash. Thunder fang is used to counter Azumarill if you have Tought Jaws and Dragon Claw instead of Head Smash (I don't know, but if you do), Crunch is mainly to exterminate those annoying Aegislash, while getting another boost if you're good enough (or the enemy is bad) to predict his King Shield and use a Dragon Dance.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Togekiss@Assault Vest
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpA
Bold/Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Dazzling Gleam/Shadow Ball
- Secret Power

The idea of this set is keeping the paraflinch strategy while having an Assault Vest. Secret Power on Buildings have 30% paralyze rate (increased to 60% with Serene Grace). SP works the same as Body Slam (move that can only be obtained by 3rd Gen Tutor) and allows Togekiss to paralyze ground types.

Bold nature and 252 Def makes Togekiss Sturdy enough to survive a Bullet Punch from a Choice Banded Scizor 92% of the time (after SR damage). Assault Vest keeps high it's SDef.
The problem with this set is that you're giving up a lot by using Assault Vest on Togekiss. Most importantly, you're missing out on the reliable recovery that Togekiss really needs in order to act as a solid tank. You're also giving up all of Thunder Wave, Heal Bell, Nasty Plot, Baton Pass, Defog, Wish, and so on. Sure, you get more bulk, but the lack of utility makes this set significantly inferior to one with Leftovers.

The problem with this set is that you're giving up a lot by using Assault Vest on Togekiss. Most importantly, you're missing out on the reliable recovery that Togekiss really needs in order to act as a solid tank. You're also giving up all of Thunder Wave, Heal Bell, Nasty Plot, Baton Pass, Defog, Wish, and so on. Sure, you get more bulk, but the lack of utility makes this set significantly inferior to one with Leftovers.
Yeah, I'm aware that giving up Leftovers and Roost is a big deal (used to play Paraflich on 4th Gen). The set is focused in eating up damage from physical AND special attacks, paralyze and then/or punish (something the leftovers set cant accomplish at the same time). AV gives Togekiss the bulk to stomach Scizor's BP OR be able to survive other things that otherwise will OHKO it with SR's help (Greninja's Ice Beam, Galvantula's Thunder and Lucario's Flash Cannon comes to my mind). Giving up TW for Secret Power/Body Slam isn't that bad considering you are exchanging 40% accuracy in your Paralysis move for a nice boost in your SDef (and Togekiss will be able to paralyze Garchomp and friends instead of Aegislash and company).

Heal Bell, Baton Pass, and the other moves you metioned (except for NP) have no big relevance in a Paraflinch set.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The problem is that you shouldn't be trying to fuck around with Greninja, Galvantula, Lucario, etc. even with Assault Vest. If you're leaving even that Togekiss set in against those attackers, then you're leaving yourself to being easily revenge killed later. Even worse, you might not even be able to beat them either because 1. you only have a 60% chance to paralyze those Pokemon (barring Galvantula which can't be paralyzed to begin with), and 2. once you start spamming Air Slash, the opponent can easily bring in something that can take it easily and knock out your Togekiss that's sitting at <20% HP because you have no Leftovers or Roost to heal with. If the set works for you, that's great, but it's not very reliable at all. Sounds to me like you might be able to get one surprise kill on something and then die, especially considering how easy to wear down a Pokemon so vulnerable to Stealth Rock and weather like Togekiss is without Leftovers.

The problem is that you shouldn't be trying to fuck around with Greninja, Galvantula, Lucario, etc. even with Assault Vest. If you're leaving even that Togekiss set in against those attackers, then you're leaving yourself to being easily revenge killed later. Even worse, you might not even be able to beat them either because 1. you only have a 60% chance to paralyze those Pokemon (barring Galvantula which can't be paralyzed to begin with), and 2. once you start spamming Air Slash, the opponent can easily bring in something that can take it easily and knock out your Togekiss that's sitting at <20% HP because you have no Leftovers or Roost to heal with. If the set works for you, that's great, but it's not very reliable at all. Sounds to me like you might be able to get one surprise kill on something and then die, especially considering how easy to wear down a Pokemon so vulnerable to Stealth Rock and weather like Togekiss is without Leftovers.
Of course you're not going to use Togekiss to deal with those guys. You'll switch out if possible, but many times you have no way around it or simply you need to remove that threat to your team. IMO "Might not even be able to beat" sometimes is better than "not be able to beat". In this Gen I've seen so many Togekiss entering battle and be able to do nothing but go back fainted to it's pokeball... And yes, I completly agree with you about Lefties+Roost is more reliable in the long run, but with AV Togekiss can surivive things the other sets cant (and are unable to do something in return when cornered). I'm testing different sets and what I like about this one is that it isn't OHKOd easily like others. BTW, there is no reason to think about paralyze Galvantula when you can just Fire Blast it.

EDIT: Lucario and Greninja can be Fire Blasted too.

Last edited:
Slowbro @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature:
-Scald
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Fire Blast
-Ice Beam/Grass Knot

Excellent bulk coupled with Regenerator grants Slowbro plenty of opportunities to switch in and shrug off damage. It's excellent special attack coverage helps to differentiate it from Tangrowth, letting it threaten a plethora of mons who would otherwise happily set up on the vine yeti.

Slowbro @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature:
-Scald
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Fire Blast
-Ice Beam/Grass Knot

Excellent bulk coupled with Regenerator grants Slowbro plenty of opportunities to switch in and shrug off damage. It's excellent special attack coverage helps to differentiate it from Tangrowth, letting it threaten a plethora of mons who would otherwise happily set up on the vine yeti.
Damnit, I was going to make a whole team around this exact set because I thought I was a genius and nobody else had thought of it ;_;

Reactions: 56k
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 208 HP / 24 Att / 135 Def / 150 Spe
Nature: Adamant
-Fling
-Acrobatics
-Eartquake
-Protect/Substitute

Flying/Ground makes for very good coverage. Fling provides you with a more accurate, damaging, one-time-use version of Toxic. However, Fling enables you to use STAB Acrobatics to it's full content. Protect or substitute is basically a trade-off how you want to use this mon. Substitute is better for predicted switches, while protect is better for heal-stalling. This set is therefor a more offensive, yet still bulky set of Gliscor. The only downside is the fact you can only poison 0-1 mons. Whereas normally Gliscor would be able to achieve 0-2 mons. It's therefor more gimmicky, but I have been using this set with much fun.

Tyrantrum @ Leftovers (or Life Orb)
Ability: Both are good
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash/Dragon Claw
- Dragon Claw/Ice-Thunder Fang
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 208 HP / 24 Att / 135 Def / 150 Spe
Nature: Adamant
-Fling
-Acrobatics
-Eartquake
-Protect/Substitute
I dunno if you guys really understand the concept of the creative/underrated part. Any Tyrantrum set with Dragon Dance is pretty standard, and thus not really 'creative' or 'underrated' at all (furthermore you're missing out on important SE coverage by lacking EQ or Fire Fang), and Gliscor with Fling/Acrobatics is pretty old news (people thought of that last gen).

Never seen a Fling/Acrobatics Gliscor though, so I thought it was at least more original as you make it to be. But I guess you're right.
Well I guess it hasn't really been used in a while... I guess it could qualify. *shrug* I dunno, I suppose it could take people who weren't around for Gen 5 off-guard. Yeah, I guess maybe I was too harsh on that one, sorry.

Well I guess it hasn't really been used in a while... I guess it could qualify. *shrug* I dunno, I suppose it could take people who weren't around for Gen 5 off-guard. Yeah, I guess maybe I was too harsh on that one, sorry.
Oh I've been around playing pokémon competively since gen III though. Those were the days... At least I haven't seen sandstorm/endeavour Aron here yet... ;)

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 140 Atk / 36 Def / 144 SDef / 188 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Waterfall

I present to y'all, my monster. This guy is best used in rain, where you can power through resistances with double boosted waterfalls. Intimidate gives gyara extra bulk when switched in right and iss a good way to force switches for a free sub. Then, dragon dance to your hearts content It's built so you can outspeed the likes of jolteon and aerodactyl after a single dragon dance. I use the waterfall/eq combo mostly because i dont really need stone edge when i can blast through resistances in rain. Eq is sustitutable for stone edge, but i run eq to great success.

Hopefully this does not fall into the "shitty gimmick" status but not only this set is hilarious but it also works :

Timid Nature
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Substitute
- Destiny Bond

because it's the only pokemon with Perish song and a trapping ability, it at least deserve a try even though its low defences is its main flaw. It's great on defensive/support mons like Ferrothorn. Shadow tag doesn't work with Blissey for some random reason though.
The problem I have with this one, is why take Destiny Bond? With the use of Sub and Protect I can see it being probable for the Perish Song to work. I understand Destiny Bond as a "just in case" back up, but I feel like something better could go in that slot for this strategy.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion

Timid Nature
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Substitute
- Destiny Bond

I used this exact set and spread the day gen6 got implemented on Showdown and i can definitely vouch for it, especially against Stall

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I agree with most of your post but why exactly wouldnt you be able to paralyse Galvantula? Iirc they made electric types immune to TWave, not to paralysis.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
I agree with most of your post but why exactly wouldnt you be able to paralyse Galvantula? Iirc they made electric types immune to TWave, not to paralysis.
Nah, Electric-types are totally immune to paralysis this gen. :(

Luxray with assault vest is excellent.

With guts you don't fear being burned and you have 120 base attack, with electrik you don't fear paralysis anymore.

Give him an assault vest and its already very good bulk makes it impossible to break for usual special attacker and you can still put some EV in Def and HP.

The surprise factor might have been a great asset but this Luxray (switching in a lot of Will o Wisp or Toxic) did a lot of 2 for 1 or even 3 for 1 because it is so surprisingly good.

And by the way Electrick resists Flying so I also killed some TalonFlames with this set.

Luxray (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 168 SDef / 88 HP
Adamant Nature
- Wild Charge
- Crunch
- Fire Fang
- Superpower

The EV spread is still someting that I'm working on; the metagame is not stabilized yet but this is actually the greatest switch in for a lot of special attacker and it will give you the momentum.

EDIT: In the current metagame it does great against Rotom, Sableye, Trevenant, Klefki, Starmie, Gengar and others

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)