The Everything NFL Thread - 2013-2014 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said, Shula was just a random example of how many other coaches Noll is still inferior to. He belongs in the conversation with coaches like Tom Coughlin, not guys like Madden, Walsh, Belichick.

oh but that also requires you to buy NCAA xx to move your prospects up... every year. I just cheat by saving before the draft, seeing what the overall values of the players are after the draft, then checking where they were drafted and drafting only the best guys though :^)
yeah true which is why 2k's system where you can just download any number of user-created draft classes is awesome.

on another note, what do people here think about Frank Gore's chances of making the Hall? He'll hit 10,000 rushing yards in like week 1 next season. With a couple more productive years I could see it

bettis is 6th or 7th all-time rushing yards (13.5k) with a SB victory (which really doesn't mean anything but it does to some HOF voters) and is having trouble getting past the nomination round... i don't see gore making it.

the world is a tragic place - Priest Holmes will never make the hall of fame, but besides LT, Faulk, & (ugh) AP he was probably the next best RB of the last 15 years :(
Why is it tragic that Holmes will never make the HOF? Shaun Alexander, Edgerrin James and Tiki Barber probably wont make the HOF either and I dont see why Holmes has a stronger case than them.

It would be more tragic if Terrell Davis never makes the HOF.

bettis is 6th or 7th all-time rushing yards (13.5k) with a SB victory (which really doesn't mean anything but it does to some HOF voters) and is having trouble getting past the nomination round... i don't see gore making it.
Bettis will make it, though Im not really a big fan of his. He was much more of a stat compiler than dominate and his SB victory shouldnt mean that much when he nearly fumbled it away and he was just a short yardage back at the time. Gore has no shot...

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Ugh, not happy about the Caldwell hire. It still amazes me how they missed out on the guy who breathed life back into Kurt Warner and made Phil Rivers into an elite quarterback and instead hired Peyton's assistant coach from 2011 that turned Flacco into an interception machine gun.

Hopefully I'm wrong about Caldwell, but I just don't see him working out with the Lions. :/

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
How about you give the guy a chance first? Jesus.

In other news, what the fuck Gettlemen? Giving away Jon Beason for ONLY a 7th round pick? The Giants prob had the fuckin steal of the season. Beason could start for any team and breathed life back into the Giants defense. Props to the Giants.

Why is it tragic that Holmes will never make the HOF? Shaun Alexander, Edgerrin James and Tiki Barber probably wont make the HOF either and I dont see why Holmes has a stronger case than them.

It would be more tragic if Terrell Davis never makes the HOF.

Bettis will make it, though Im not really a big fan of his. He was much more of a stat compiler than dominate and his SB victory shouldnt mean that much when he nearly fumbled it away and he was just a short yardage back at the time. Gore has no shot...
People like you not getting it is why it is tragic, thanks for proving my point as simply as fucking possible?

Priest did more in 3 years than basically almost any RBs do in 7-10. Although Barber was a great receiving guy, he was a bad goal line back & a fumble machine. Alexander never caught the ball, and is closer though. Holmes had to way too soon walk away from the sport because of a neck injury (shades of what could have happened with P. Manning), iirc neither of the other two walked away for any reason besides age. Holmes is also the only one to prove his talent on two teams, so he seems the least likely to just be the beneficiary of just a great OL.

Edgerrin James does not even deserve to be in the conversation. Sure his total yardage in his early seasons seemed "exciting" out the gate, but out of all these guys, he was the only one who was low y/a and for the amount of rushing attempts has by far the worst TDs. Total yard statistics are meaningful when they do have a number like at least 4.3 y/a attached, or maybe if they theoretically helped lead to Super Bowl wins (a much more up in the air argument), and come on HoF you just have to have a few 4.8+ y/a seasons by now with how much stronger and faster players are in the last 20 years. No one is going to say he was not a good RB, but HoF is a different conversation.

Terrell Davis not making the HoF would be tragic, agreed, I was just generalizing about "the most recent generation of RBs" which unfortunately because of the injury he kind of missed. Based on the brief amount of time & "lol anyone could rush on that Denver team!11", I do think he might never make it in. I mean if they let him in they might have to let in guys like Portis! etc is the type of logic they could go with.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
What do you mean, don't you remember they were 14-2 and almost won the Super Bowl with Caldwell?

...yes that is a joke, in case anyone forgot the subsequent drop to 10-6 when Ryan's Jets beat them and then 2-14 year which clearly showed how Manning pretty much ran everything with the Colts. He's probably better than that Cam Cameron fellow that was the Raven's OC before him though.
Everyone is better

The Lions biggest problem this season seemed to be managing the overall pace of a game. Hiring a guy who by all probable accounts broke the Colts defense within just two seasons...that seems like a ridiculous bet.

priest had one of the absolute best 3.5 season stretches of all time. 5482 yards for 101 per game and 4.7 ypc, but with an insane 70 rushing TDs in that time span. for comparison's sake, curtis martin and jerome bettis have 90/91 over their entire 11/13 year careers.

but halls of fame are meant to immortalize men and their careers. did priest do enough? i mean, he was one of the most talented running backs of his time (his career was fucked by injuries and ricky williams/jamal lewis taking his job in college/baltimore, which led to being undrafted and waiting a while to truly be "the guy" for a team) but i don't think being the most talented of your era is enough to be in the HOF. which is a shame, i agree, and it's criminal that sometimes having the best talent does not equal the best career. i believe he probably would have maintained this high level of production for at least another full season, but that's because larry fucking johnson came in and started shitting out yards and TDs as well. unfortunately this is probably the biggest problem with priest's legacy: the fact that larry goddamn johnson was so successful in his wake. you have to question how much of that success was due to kansas city's terrific o-line and whether priest was truly one of the greatest running backs ever. at least great enough for the HOF.

Larry Johnson ran himself into the ground in one season basically, the NFL is really a finicky place to play. Running backs just get fucking destroyed, so I can relent as far as to say that it is truly hard to compare why any player did not get the results they could or "should" have. The answer is probably almost always that the body was destroyed in some way :( I think it is tragic Priest is someone who will be a forgotten memory in no time at all, not many people are going to have a reason to clearly remember him, and nothing is going to change that.

Bo Jackson is the real life version of whatever the Achilles of hips would be, he would have become an indomitable legend in two sports.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
It is proving to be extremely hard for me to keep a straight head for this Sunday. I keep getting this nagging feeling that the Patriots have an outstandingly good shot to win.

Chris Harris is out, so the secondary of the Broncos is suddenly very garbage. The Patriots Run Offense can control the clock very effectively, which is perfect against greater Manning. And there's a lot of talk of the Broncos Offense being rather simplistic and implementing small game specific wrinkles, but on the whole that should be something that is susceptible to a creative defensive masked scheme.

Someone save me from my optimism.

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can't wait for this weekend, as much as the 49ers scare the fuck out of me I wouldn't have it any other way.

All I know is that for this weekend:

I will be at a VGC regional that wont end well into halftime likely for the Niners/Seahawks game, meaning I won't see it till the DVR recording Monday (if they win, if they lose I'm just deleting it).

A friend will be in Seattle rooting for the Niners. Lucky SOB XD

Knowshon Moreno doesn't scare me all that much. Maybe he should?

ALSO: For christ's sake give this man a high-five already!

Best ongoing joke in the NFL?
Man, as a Broncos writer, I dare say you should be much more worried about Montee Ball. This kid has the same averages per carry that the oh so spoken Eddie Lacy has, and he has outrushed Moreno in the last six games. And when you remember Moreno did run for 224 yards against the Patriots, and you have no interior D-line, even more when compared to Broncos O-Line, that although patched is one of the best in the league, it's gonna be interesting. It's maybe the most important clash in history of Manning x Brady, and the X factor may be how the once considered busts RB are going to show up.

I really can hardly wait for Sunday. I've been waiting all week for the Sunday afternoon.

TheValkyries

I always love when people try to argue that the non-starting RB is actually better yet still not the starter based on YPA when he has a much lower volume of attempts to actually realistically make a valid point about his consistency as a runner.

And while our Interior DLine may be ineffective, our ends are still rather good, as are our young athletic linebackers. Couple that with the Broncos, frankly, fucking AWFUL Blocks from Tight Ends and your ability to rush to the outside is drastically limited. In other words there's really only one place to attack in the run game that makes any sense at all, at which point they've been largely bottlenecked in the strategy department already, which could lead to scheming counter-strategies.

I expect most of the running game success to come from 3+ wide Receiver sets split out wide with Manning under center against a nickel package. Maybe the Draws from shotgun can work but shotgun runs tend to have underdeveloped blocking unless ran to the outside. Anything else and I don't think the Broncos frankly have the personnel to really get it done. They're a pass first team, not built for pounding the ball. If the Patriots can sufficiently disrupt the passing enough to force the Broncos into attempting to power run, it could lead to enough of a hiccup in the offense for the Patriots to put up sufficient points against a now utterly limping defense of the Broncos.

EDIT: WHAT THE FUCK RUNNER WAS I THINKING OF?

I still think it can go both ways, but your x-factor (the Patriots run game) really isn't that much better than the Broncos run game, as Moreno somewhat proved last time (not that he's super fantastic, but the Pats are 30th in run defense (Denver is 7th for unrelated reasons involving Peyton Manning)) so I don't really see it as an "advantage"

Broncos defense is super banged up though, Blount can easily run all over them if he looks like he did last week.

wtf is up with Blount anyway? he was slow and lazy in Tampa so they got rid of him... Belichick must have lit a fire under his ass, or something.

TheValkyries

wtf is up with Blount anyway? he was slow and lazy in Tampa so they got rid of him... Belichick must have lit a fire under his ass, or something.
IDK what you're talking about Blount was a 1000 yard rusher in his rookie year and only played 13 games with 5 yards a carry. He dropped down to 800 yards with 4.2 carries in 14 games the next year and then the Buccanneers drafted Doug Martin. I think Blount's real issue was attitude iirc.

Blount heads up to NE for a 7th round pick, Belichick gets him to cool the fuck off and teaches him to lower his shoulder a little bit more making his running that much more powerful and BOOM, we're where we are today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)