Other Viable Megas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually thinking a sub set would also be good. If they lead with Deo-D, it's pretty much a free sub. Deo-D gets rocks up or whatever but you're pretty much guaranteed two kills, and if they switch out they're not going to be doing so hot either.
Fair amount of Deos run Red Card to prevent set up, so Sub might not be the most reliable choice. I'd just go for the Pin Missile.

What does Red Card do against using Substitute? And Pin Missile is a non-contact move, it doesn't trigger Red Card.
Nah, it triggers on any attacking move. You literally can't avoid the thing outside of residual damaging it down.

You'd end up with an extra layer of hazards and 25% of your health gone, which is definitely in the opponent's favour.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Posting to say how underrated Mega Heracross is. Hits like a nuke and is tanky as all hell....I never used to think it was good but after having used it I'm a big fan of it and honestly think it's one of the best Megas going around.

Posting to say how underrated Mega Heracross is. Hits like a nuke and is tanky as all hell....I never used to think it was good but after having used it I'm a big fan of it and honestly think it's one of the best Megas going around.
Agreed, I love it. Immense attack and very good defences, what more could you as for? It can learn Rock Blast too.

What moves do you use?

Ohh remember when we though mega pinsir might be good in UU, or that mega Kanga would be decent. How about the Zards being UU or MegaChomp and Megatar being worthless, or even Megazam being OP as Fuck.
Oh this thread brings back memories.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Ohh remember when we though mega pinsir might be good in UU, or that mega Kanga would be decent. How about the Zards being UU or MegaChomp and Megatar being worthless, or even Megazam being OP as Fuck.
Oh this thread brings back memories.
Nobody thought MegaZam would be good, at least nobody smart anyway.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Nah, it triggers on any attacking move. You literally can't avoid the thing outside of residual damaging it down.

You'd end up with an extra layer of hazards and 25% of your health gone, which is definitely in the opponent's favour.
Does red card trigger after the first multi hit or after all five?

Does red card trigger after the first multi hit or after all five?
It triggers on the last hit, unless it's a KO in Mega Heracross' case. I tested it on Showdown, unless it's not acting as it does in the actual game that's how it works.

Nobody thought MegaZam would be good, at least nobody smart anyway.
Yeah, who would have known that a mon with 175 special attack and 150 speed would have been unanimously regarded as trash. That shit would have been uber a gen or two ago, at least if it could hold an item.

I rarely see megazam these days, and whenever I do it's always magnificently underwhelming. It's like *DRAMATIC TRANSFORMATION*

Then it gets knocked out immediately.

Thing with mega zam is that if priority users are out already, and he can kill whatever is opposing him on the switch, then suddenly he's a threat. Otherwise. No.

It triggers on the last hit, unless it's a KO in Mega Heracross' case. I tested it on Showdown, unless it's not acting as it does in the actual game that's how it works.

Yeah, who would have known that a mon with 175 special attack and 150 speed would have been unanimously regarded as trash. That shit would have been uber a gen or two ago, at least if it could hold an item.
What where GF thinking when they made MegaZam? They too away Alakazam's finest ability (Magic guard) for a buff in special attack and speed.

If it could hold an item, it wouldn't be nearly as looked down upon.

No matter what, it's a powerful special attacker with base 150 Speed. Unfortunately, that's just not enough anymore. With all the priority flying around, such a glass cannon approach doesn't hold up.

I haven't yet had a chance to try out the legendaries for x and y.

What makes yveltal so good
Its stats, movepool, typing, and powerful Dark Aura boosted attacks. Oblivion Wing is also nice. Really it has everything it needs to be good in ubers.

I don't know why anyone thought it would be balanced in OU. It, along with pretty much everything else in ubers, has as much bulk as your average OU wall but still has its great offensive stats and isn't a slouch in speed. I think people were thinking it's not as pants-shittingly powerful as Xerneas so it's not that good.

Most of the mega evolution pokemon are viable, but stuff like Mega Aggron, Amphy, and Banette just don't cut it ;/
No Aggron seems to have a nice little niche in OU, the other ones well.
Amphy's too slow and even with that gimmicky Agility Set, he's not pulling in work, and all M-Banette does is guarantee a kill, and a burn/paralysis.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Some pokemon were built to really be played in doubles, most especially amphabulous and megobamasnow, but mawile, manectric [see lightingrod-->intimidate + amazing base speed and solid coverage] and the infamous Charizard-Y also work pretty well. Ampharos and Obamasnow don't work so well in singles, really requiring trick room or abusing their bulk but mediocre defensive typings.

Most of the mega evolution pokemon are viable, but stuff like Mega Aggron, Amphy, and Banette just don't cut it ;/
Aggron checks nearly every physical attacker. Even when you think "holy fuck there's no way it can win this," it can. Laughs at Pinsir, Talonflame can barely even 2HKO 252/0 with CB Flare Blitz, it can beat +1 X-zard (at the cost of almost all its health,) CB Staraptor can't win, CB Terrakion can't. Even with a ridiculously bad type-match up where the other side has 120 BP SE STAB moves as well as a choice band, Mega Aggron can still do it even if it's out for the rest of the match. And passing wishes to it is really easy.

Alexxi

Banned deucer.
Banette has endure+Destiny bond.. but thats about it :> Aggron can check many physical attackers, but it's special defense is horrible :/. Mega Amphy has agility, but its so slow anyway, but it must be really good on Trick Room teams.

Last edited:
Mega Aggron is a physical beast. 230 Defence + Filter + Pure Steel typing means it can laugh off in the faces of most physical attackers.

Mega Banette is basically a prankster that can deal a lot of damage. Never used it, but I think a skilled player can turn it into a great pokemon.

Some pokemon were built to really be played in doubles, most especially amphabulous and megobamasnow, but mawile, manectric [see lightingrod-->intimidate + amazing base speed and solid coverage] and the infamous Charizard-Y also work pretty well. Ampharos and Obamasnow don't work so well in singles, really requiring trick room or abusing their bulk but mediocre defensive typings.
Yeah, everything has its niche. Who said all Mega's were intended to work in OU/Ubers singles? Or that they have to be flat out better than their regular forms at filling the same roles? I'm glad megastones have a presence in UU. And as you said, some will shine in VGC. Gamefreak distributed them well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)