Undergraduate thread

Junior at the University of Washington studying Biochemistry. Ironically I suck at chemistry... and hate biology... Finishing up my pre-med reqs but med school is a long shot considering I probably have the worst grades out of any biochem major here (I don't even know how I got in to the department...). But my only plan thus far is med school, so if that doesn't work out, I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do with my life.

someone plz halp

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
if you dont like what your studying for, why are you doing it?Anyway, to answer you, start thinking of things you like and check for jobs that involves those things you like in some shape or form. Its jst my opinion but I think its better to go with a job you'll be happy to get up in the morning everyday with a lower pay than a job that you hate but you do since it pays better. But thats just me.

if you dont like what your studying for, why are you doing it?Anyway, to answer you, start thinking of things you like and check for jobs that involves those things you like in some shape or form. Its jst my opinion but I think its better to go with a job you'll be happy to get up in the morning everyday with a lower pay than a job that you hate but you do since it pays better. But thats just me.
This is why I'm a music major. The jobs are terrible but they're fun.

Prof said if we miss 4 classes or more she has the option to drop us from the class.

I have an A in the class yet have missed 4 classes.. let's see what happens.

I'm a Freshman and a Psychology Major.

I'm in love with the material so far (kind of reminiscent of AP Psych from last year), and I can only hope it gets even more interesting!

(Wow, I think I saw maybe one other user involved in Psych... o_O)

Last edited:
First year maths at warwick, second term, struggling like hell. Interested by everything but the sheer difference in learning methods from secondary to university is doing me in, could do with more examples classes.

Sophomore at Fayetteville State University. My major is Computer Science and a undeclared minor. I love my cafe's food and classes. I wish my student refunds could be a little more tho.

Sophomore Psych/Informatics Minor at Indiana University.

Just yesterday I got two e-mails saying I've won two different (unpaid, fuckers) internships (one is with an occupational therapist at IU Bloomington Health Hospital...not even sure why I applied because I have no desire to be an occupational therapist), but I have to decline both because the hours interfere with my actual paying job and I have to pay rent =/

UC San Diego represent :p although I'm a grad student (biochemistry) so maybe I don't belong in the undergrad thread haha, I paid my dues.

Apparently I never posted in this thread.

I've actually been in university for five years and failed to graduate yet. :| I was originally doing arts (English), but that was mainly as a loophole that got me into university in the first place (early classes). At the time I intended to transfer to BSc and study virology, but I concluded this was not a viable career path for me despite my intense interest. After floundering for awhile I went with my backup plan (compsci), only to be diagnosed with a brain tumour and have to undergo surgery in the first semester...

Ever since then I've had another tumour and been diagnosed with epilepsy, so in the years since then (three) I barely completed any classes and studied very intermittently while I focused on my health. I'm 20 now.

Last year I was diagnosed with a genetic disease (the cause for all these tumours), and as I make it a habit of reading all the literature I can find about my illnesses, I quickly developed a deep fascination with neurogenetics. After pondering for a long time which was a better move, as switching degrees again felt pretty bad and working with computers/IT was undoubtedly a safer career move for someone with my illnesses (which will degenerate), I decided to pursue this passion and applied for the BSc after all. I aim to transfer to USyd next year to major in neuroscience, but if I can't I will stay where I am and major in genetics. I intend to be a genetic counsellor or a researcher, undecided yet.

I'm only 20 and I started university when I was 15 and very lost in my life due to the circumstances at the time. I have an abundance of drive and curiosity though, and I think with work I have the skills (and enthusiasm for the profession, which I've also researched heavily and had personal involvement with) to be a good genetic counsellor if research doesn't prove promising for me. I also think genetics is an incredibly important field right now. If I can stay on this path then I won't regret any decisions I've made. I don't know how long my studies will take due to the uncertain and long-term nature of my illness, but all I can do is take the future as it comes.

I'm a senior at Rice University. Double majoring in mechanical engineering and computational math.

I started out with mechanical engineering and liked it well enough, but after my 2nd year I found that I really enjoyed the comp. math route too, much more than the engineering in fact. It was my third year when I added the comp. math major though and at that point, I figured I might as well just stick it out and get both degrees. This is my final semester and I'm starting to hate mechanical engineering, but I really love all of the comp. math stuff

I'm pretty set on going to grad school for applied/computational math, and I think I've done enough in my time as an undergrad that I should be able to get into one of the programs I want for my masters. I'm actually taking a gap year after graduation to travel a bit more and maybe relax a little first.

Also, am I the only one that doesn't give a shit about the graduation ceremony? I respect that my parents care a lot about it though and since they're flying all the way out here to see it, I'll be going to it :x

Also, am I the only one that doesn't give a shit about the graduation ceremony? I respect that my parents care a lot about it though and since they're flying all the way out here to see it, I'll be going to it :x
It seems like a tedious bother to me, but I can understand why people feel that it's an important symbolic measure of the effort they've invested/all they've accomplished.

Good on you, though. I think it's mature of you to accede here in light of how much it means to them. Of course you can do what you want, but most people's parents would naturally also share in this pride and it would be an incredibly valuable memory to them, so I hope it helps at least that you'll be making them very proud and happy. You'll get through it! You're very close to graduating, so: congratulations and gj. :)

Nani Man

__what__ does nani mean
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was originally enrolled in software engineering but changed courses almost instantly as I found no enjoyment. Typing in keys literally all day wasn't my thing I guess haha. I then moved to computer engineering, but this time I found that I was more interested in the electrical side of things so I made one last change and decided to choose electrical engineering. I am studying elec engineering at UNSW in Australia. However, I'm not sure what stream I'll major in yet. Some viable Options being (for me personally) telecommunications, computers or power. Leaning towards power at the moment but we'll see!

Graduation seemed like fun up until I had to do it. Heavy robes on a hot day, had to wear them for 3 hours prior to my ceremony, which was ultimately long and dull.

Then I had to do it again in two years for my law degree.

Junior at the University of Washington studying Biochemistry. Ironically I suck at chemistry... and hate biology... Finishing up my pre-med reqs but med school is a long shot considering I probably have the worst grades out of any biochem major here (I don't even know how I got in to the department...). But my only plan thus far is med school, so if that doesn't work out, I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do with my life.

someone plz halp
Not wanting to sound like a dream crusher, but you need to seriously reevaluate your plans.

Med school is basically advanced Biochemistry and Biology, only ten times worse because of the ludicrous workload and competitive environment. How could you possibly succeed in med school when you're already bad at and/or hate the subject matter? And it's not like life is easy once you start working. You would never enjoy your life.

Why did you want to go to Med School in the first place? What's something you actually like doing?

Well, I'm currently studying Pharmacy at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia. Currently going into my second year. Probably the best way to describe it is an unholy mix of everything that is wrong with chemistry, biology, psychology and statistics mixed with clinical stuff, 90% of which you will probably never use on the job ever again. But that's basically the state of every university degree, so I can't really complain. It's a moderately tough course, nothing that I can't handle, but it's intensive enough to keep everyone on their toes. It does suck that I'm not even close to being guaranteed to get a job after I'm done, but that's pretty much the situation for most college graduates these days too, so no point complaining about that either. Any other Pharmacy students here?

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I would've been guaranteed job placement had I actually graduated from my school's Pharmacy program. TOO BAD SOME RANDOM PROFESSOR I NEVER KNEW BEFORE I TOOK HER COURSE DECIDED SHE HAD SOME SORT OF VENDETTA AGAINST ME

I would've been guaranteed job placement had I actually graduated from my school's Pharmacy program. TOO BAD SOME RANDOM PROFESSOR I NEVER KNEW BEFORE I TOOK HER COURSE DECIDED SHE HAD SOME SORT OF VENDETTA AGAINST ME
She hated you? What happened exactly?

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
She was pro-Chomp ban.

I'm a college sophomore and currently a Psychology major. I went in thinking I would do CompSci but that required 3 years of math dedication and I couldn't bring myself to do it. I switched majors a few times and wound up in Psych, I find it more interesting than everything else so far. I'm currently going to City College of San Francisco which is a HUGE school and is in risk of being shut down after this semester. That date will hopefully be pushed back which works well for me since I should only need one more semester but CCSF closing down would have huge backlash and needs to be avoided.

While I'd rather not, I'll probably be going to the nearest CSU just because I can get there fairly quickly using public transportation. I haven't really decided what to do since I'm only pursuing Psych out of interest but I've thought about either going to law school or pursuing advanced degrees when the time comes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)