Other The OU Theorymon Project (CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, i think that Avalugg+Refrigerate should become the best rapid spinner of the game, seriously i like the poison/elec type but that refrigerate boost is just too good.

Refrig Avalugg. I have a soft spot for unconventional pokes.

Also, is it possible to have a mon that didn't make the pick beecome a contestant later on? I would love to have a crack at Magic Bounce Delphox.

Avalugg would be pretty much perfect if it were, say, a ghost type. Refrigerate isn't doing anything for it IMO.

That said, I'm voting for Electric/Poison Eelektross.

Oh man, someone beat me to Electric/Poison Eelektross. I swear I was typing a proposal in a Google document to send later lol. And even though MB Delphox was my idea, I like the idea of Eelektross anyway. It's just too good a combination of typing and his movepool and stat layout allow for numerous configurations.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Here are my thoughts:

Refrigerate Avalugg: Having Scrappy Rapid Spin was the dream of many people, but this is better in every way. STAB Rapid Spin would be so powerful (joking, of course) Unblockable Rapid Spin is better than Defog since it can't be Taunted and it doesn't get rid of the hazards you laid down. Refrigerate Return hits pretty hard when coming off of base 117 attack, even when uninvested, and Recover gives him a form of healing, which is always convenient. But being an Ice-type is possibly the worst thing for a defensive Pokemon to be, having weaknesses to Flamethrower, Focus Miss Focus Blast, and Flash Cannon, and having a Stealth Rock weakness, not to mention garbage special defense in general, would really give Avalugg quite the challenge.

Electric/Poison Eelektross: Levitate spares it of a 4x Ground weakness, and Poison nets resistances to Grass-, Bug-, Fairy-, Fighting-, and opposing Poison-type moves, not to mention a Toxic immunity, as well as having already existing resistances to Steel-, Flying-, and opposing Electric-type moves, all at the measly cost of a Psychic weakness. As well as having Coil, he can take on many threats such as (Mega) Scizor, (Mega) Mawile, Mandibuzz, Mamoswine, Skarmory, Gliscor, and Sylveon, just to name a few. Sure, Alakazam, Lati@s, Deoxys-S, and Mega Gardevoir have an easier time with him, but this guy's Positives heavily outweigh the negatives.

Magic Bounce Delphox: This is an interesting idea in theory, but I'm not sure if she'll be able to excel at her role. Sure, Magic Bounce is always handy, and Delphox certainly has enough power and coverage to take an offensive MB role, but I still think Espeon is better. Delphox's only advantage over Espeon is a Fire typing and better coverage, whereas Espeon has much more overall power and higher speed, as well as lacking weaknesses to Water-, Ground-, and Rock-type moves. I'm not saying Delphox would be a bad choice, I'm just saying she'll have a hard time finding more usage than Espeon.

Recover Poliwrath: This could work. Poliwrath has always had decent bulk and power, but lacked a recovery move. With Recover, Poliwrath could become a great check to many OU threats such as Bisharp, Mega Gyarados, (Mega) Tyranitar, Greninja without Extrasensory, and (Mega) Scizor. His Bulk Up sets could further aid in his goal, not only walling physical attackers, but hitting them hard, as well, and with moves like Circle Throw, Waterfall, and Ice Punch, he has some options to work with. But his presence in OU is a bit shaky, with Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Mega Charizard Y, Thundurus-I, Mega Venusaur, and Rotom-W running about, he quickly finds himself overwhelmed. Even with Recover, he has little chance of standing out in OU.

So with all this said, I think Electric/Poison Eelektross would be an excellent addition to Theorymons.

Refrigerate Avalugg - Unblockable Rapid Spin is a great thing, and having a STAB that doesn't require getting hit to be powerful is also nice. However, Salt has a major point here, and it's backed up further by Avalugg not running Sturdy.

Electric/Poison Eelektross - Eh. It loses its unique claim of no weaknesses in exchange for resistances to Fighting and Fairy, both of which are likely to have another, unresisted STAB. It does nothing to alleviate Eelektross's lack of bulk, speed, or recovery.

Magic Bounce Delphox - We don't need another offensive Magic Bounce user, end of story. Speaking of which, whatever happened to my Magic Bounce Musharna suggestion?

Recover Poliwrath - Poliwrath's jack of all trades, master of none stats make it rather useless in the offensive land of OU, and Recover doesn't fix that at all. Keldeo still outclasses it, I'd say.

Voting for Electric/Poison Eelektross, just to see what sort of niche stuff it can do.

Refridgerate Avalugg

I don't see how randomly slapping a secondary typing onto something as unviable as Eelektross would even make it usable. Also, (non BP) Espeon is awful enough, we don't need an even worse Psychic-type to get Magic Bounce.

Last edited:
Electric/Poison Eelektross for me. Avalugg was so tempting and unblockable rapid spin would be so good, but it'll would be nice to see what Eelektross can do with its additional typing.

I'm gonna be honest here, I don't really like any of these. Avalugg still sucks ass, Eelektross doesn't really see that much of an improvement imo. The other two I like more, but Magic Guard isn't really that good of an ability right now, and Poliwrath is still... Poliwrath. Still, interesting to see if it could do something

Recover Poliwrath

My 100th post! (Well, actually I've had a few deleted, so I probably crossed that mark a while ago)

Electric/Poison Eelektross sounded interesting at first, but its not going to be doing much with Thunder Punch as its primary STAB. Drain punch also won't do much because it doesn't get STAB. Eelektross is still getting murdered by Excadrill, Mega Gyarados, and Kyurem-B, and it isn't bulky enough to take neutral hits with its lack of reliable recovery (Drain Punch is not reliable without STAB).

Magic Bounce Delphox sounds interesting since it has better STAB and defensive typing than Espeon as well as WoW, but I'm not wasting my vote.

Poliwrath is still shit even with Recover. I thought Bulk Up + Recover might have some viability, but I ran some calcs which shot that down. Having Brick Break as its best Fighting STAB doesn't do it any favors.

Avalugg... well it's at least worth a trial run with all of that physical bulk; it just has to stay away from Fire and Fighting types. Getting real physical STAB should help it somewhat.

Refrigerate Avalugg

Electric/Poison Eelektross was my idea so I kinda have to vote on it :p but this pokemon has a fantastic defensive typing which allows it to do things such as beat mega pinsir due to resisting all of its moves while also being a fantastic mon for trashing stall with immunity to spike hazards, paralysis and toxic. He's incredibly hard to wear down and flat walls pokemon like gliscor, hippowdon without stone edge, chansey, blissey, skarmory etc. also can deal with scizor, sylveon, ferrothorn, and thundurus just by merit of typing. perfect mon for taking down stall and also resists both u-turn and volt switch.

Last edited:
The Poliwrath idea sounds cool but I've been using eelektross A LOT this gen and was beginning to consider this myself. So with that in mind I have to vote for Rotom-Poison. (Electric/Poison Eelektross).

canno

formerly The Reptile
Refrigerate Avalugg

Even though Electric / Poison Eelektross is pretty cool, I feel that Refrigerate Avalugg is much cooler. Unblockable Rapid Spin and really strong STABs just appeal to me. I know that Avalugg still has a terrible special weakness, but I still feel like this is really cool. Plus, Electric / Poison doesn't fix Eelektross's problem of medicore bulk and low speed, and Drain Punch is hardly a "reliable form of recovery". Delphox loses to most SR setters anyways, and Recover Poliwrath still has meh bulk, although it could be pretty neat since it has a cool typing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)