Murkrow, Meditite, and Swagger have been banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Pursuit is kind of a blower, regardless. Pursuit Pawniard > Elgyem because even if you CAN tank a Knock Off, you really don't want to. And if you DO take the Knock Off, you can't check Meditite anymore. So when it Pursuits, Meditite smashes it on the next switch in regardless. That's really my biggest problem with the Meditite counters. Granted, you do check it in oodles of ways with different Pokemon (Fairies, birds, etc) but the only bona fide counters are Pursuit bait like such a mother fucker, which is not the greatest quality when one of the best Pokemon in the tier is also a Dark-type with the ability to force out each and every one of them and Pursuit them on the switch if it is so inclined. Yes, you CAN HP Fighting or Thunder Wave or whatever you were going to do to them but really, if you want to actually beat Meditite, you aren't leaving in your Psychic type on a Pawniard.
Yea, Pursuit Pawniard does present a problem. I've only run into one of those though, and it was Scarfed. Thankfully it's not very common.

Also, assuming Pawniard switches in on Elgyem, it's likely that it will be paralyzed and will thus die to HP Fighting before Pursuit could be used, and Thunder Wave and HP Fighting are always on Elgyem. This is, of course, factoring Spikes damage as Trubbish is used with Elgyem and forces switches as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
again, relying on predicting a pawniard sitch in therefore it is always paralyzed is bad please stop acting like you can always predict an opponents moves.

also pursuit pawn is incredibly common i saw it a lot while i was laddering and its honestly on like everyone of my serious teams.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
Going to be perfectly honest here

Every time I see a Pawniard kill something with Pursuit, I get a little hard

Also, if Pawniard somehow gets a +2 boost (Swords Dance or Defiant), Trubbish + Elgyem is going to have a bad day (unless you use Eviolite Trubbish, aka best set)

I don't think Briyella is factoring in prediction when she says "it's probably paralyzed on the switch anyway". I haven't used Elgyem yet, but I plan to make a new core when I get some extra time on my hand. Thunder wave is probably safest option to use on many teams until you know everything you want to paralyze has been hit by it. It's even reliable if the opponent has Chinchou. Elgyem doesn't mind giving Chinchou some recovery when it can out damage and out heal it. You could argue that it's even less of an issue because Elgyem might have a cleric in the wings to get rid of burn (but I'd rather not spin that argument).

I'm kind of on the fence about Meditite now. I hadn't seen it that much when I originally posted, but after suspect discussion started its on almost every single team. In my experience, I've seen scarf Meditite as the hardest to deal with. Tou Hana keeps mentioning it, so I think it's time to discuss it. It's a nice speed sweet spot where it outspeeds (or ties) with scarfers that might otherwise fill his role (weakening or outright killing things).

These are just a few examples of things I see in a similar role. They abuse slightly higher speed stats to accomplish the goal of weakening or outright killing threats.

(Each is assuming max speed for the sake of the argument)
Mienfoo - Cleanly out speeds Meditite
Pawniard - Speed tie
Cranidos - Cleanly out speeds Speed tie
Darumaka - Slower than Meditite
Scraggy - Slower than Meditite

The scarf set is likely running HJK, and as such is guaranteed to OHKO all of them. Meditite is also either faster than or speed ties many of these threats. Cranidos is a worrisome speed tie as it can OHKO after rocks (although at a very small chance). On the speed tie, at max health, Pawniard at best 2HKOs. It must win two speed ties and get a flinch on the first iron head (or otherwise hope Meditite misses).

252 Atk Mold Breaker Cranidos Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Meditite: 15-18 (78.9 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 16, 16, 16, 16, 17, 17, 17, 17, 18)

Pawniard is the only extremely common example, but I run Darumaka on many teams as a pivot/cleaner. Each of them performs a very similar role to Meditite - hitting things hard and fast. The main difference is none of them (except for Darumaka) can get a OHKO on Meditite, while Meditite is guaranteed the kill if it hits (and out damages them when fighting most other threats as well). Meditite won't be switching into any of them, but he clearly checks each set.

Meditite also out speeds common threats that it usually wouldn't (most notably Krow and Misdreavus). Krow absolutely cannot take a HJK and a weakened Misdreavus is easy pickings for a psycho cut from scarf Meditite.

I'm not necessarily arguing that any of this makes Meditite broken, but it is something that should be considered. It's a very potent set due to it's ability to outright kill many common threats. Its very hard to dance around because of previously mentioned 'coin flip' predictions. You want to switch into a ghost or fighting resist to avoid the HJK, but what if its actually psycho cut? Either way you're potentially losing a Pokemon, and the sacrifice is a huge momentum change.

Last edited:

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
I am on the fence now. It is very difficult to counter tite if you are not sure which moove he is going to use in the switch. Most cases will be zen headbutt/drain punch. But you can't always win against tite relying on that. I will try the elygem/trubbish core, but we should remember that a good wallbreaker shouldn't have a lot of counters anyway. The problem is when its counters are so niche and even though not reliable at all (not only countering tite but also doing anything else.). Sorry for the shit grammar, I wrote this on mobile.

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Is Murkrow / Meditite broken?

Murkrow: I hate this thing,get out from this tier:
First fact is that it has various and amazing sets, incredible movepool(hi Heat Wave+Brave Bird+Sucker Punch), it's fast and it 2OHKOes like everything in the tier with Life Orb Brave Bird and the Heat Wave Combo. plus it doesnt need so many skill to play with it, just a bit of prediction. Actually, I don't really think that the set that abuses of Prankster is op or broken, Thunder Wave+Confuse Ray is just annoying but the thing is that it relies on hax, 50/50s, anything but no skills.
The real broken set is the LO Mixed with Brave Bird-Sucker Punch-Heatwave+Filler, it's just too good because Sucker Punch makes Murkrow difficult to get revengekilled too.
At least Murkrow is frail but you need at least a decent attacker to get him down.

TL;DR: Murkrow= Broken

Meditite: I actually think Meditite is not broken but it is really difficult to counter it, you need at least to sac one pokémon or have the final counter to get him down or check him.
But still I didn't have so much problems with him in the Suspect Test Ladder time, obviously if Murkrow will get the banhammer the potential of Meditite will spread up, so thats why I nominate him in the votations. Meditite has really few counters & checks due to its vast movepool(Thunder Punch, Fire Punch, and Bullet Punch for example) and various sets(LO, Eviolite, Choice Scarf) that make him fairly unpredictabile.
But for me its not broken or overpowered because it has a few but important weak points like it's speed and averege bulk.
I should consider him for a suspect if Murkrow gets banned.

TL;DR: Meditite not broken at the moment

Last edited:

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
Is Murkrow / Meditite broken?

Murkrow: I hate this thing,get out from this tier:
First fact is that it has various and amazing sets, incredible movepool(hi Heat Wave+Brave Bird+Sucker Punch), it's fast and it 2OHKOes like everything in the tier with Life Orb Brave Bird and the Heat Wave Combo. plus it doesnt need so many skill to play with it, just a bit of prediction. Actually, I don't really think that the set that abuses of Prankster is op or broken, Thunder Wave+Confuse Ray is just annoying but the thing is that it relies on hax, 50/50s, anything but no skills.
The real broken set is the LO Mixed with Brave Bird-Sucker Punch-Heatwave+Filler, it's just too good because Sucker Punch makes Murkrow difficult to get revengekilled too.
At least Murkrow is frail but you need at least a decent attacker to get him down.

TL;DR: Murkrow= Broken

Meditite: I actually think Meditite is not broken but it is really difficult to counter it, you need at least to sac one pokémon or have the final counter to get him down or check him.
But still I didn't have so much problems with him in the Suspect Test Ladder time, obviously if Murkrow will get the banhammer the potential of Meditite will spread up, so thats why I nominate him in the votations. Meditite has really few counters & checks due to its vast movepool(Thunder Punch, Fire Punch, Knock Off, Bullet Punch for example) and various sets(LO, Eviolite, Choice Scarf) that make him fairly unpredictabile.
But for me its not broken or overpowered because it has a few but important weak points like it's speed and averege bulk.
I should consider him for a suspect if Murkrow gets banned.

TL;DR: Meditite not broken at the moment
Meditite does not get Knock Off :@

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Meditite does not get Knock Off :@
LOL, I think the real point he's trying to make is that if there's discussion in the current meta of whether Meditite is overpowered, without Krow it's going to be even worse. Usage stats for Meditite will spike if the Suspect Test is over and Tite is not banned. Then we'll just be back doing the same thing all over again, because it's going to get suspected again. Probably. People really hate it.

Elgyem + Trubbish core beats Meditite + Mienfoo + Pawniard.

You can decide not to use or not to try out Elgyem, but that is a personal choice and does not disprove the fact that Elgyem and Trubbish beat these Pokemon when used together. I have already demonstrated this in posts and battle replays and it is not something that's only possible with prediction. They win. They are a self-sustaining core with Recover and Berry Juice/Recycle that covers each other's weaknesses, brings down these prominent threats, and does it very well. This is not a gimmick.

Eviolite Meditite, the most common/viable set, will lose. Life Orb Meditite has an 11.3% chance to 2HKO Elgyem with High Jump Kick, and Elgyem has Recover and Thunder Wave. It's Meditite that will require luck to win here, not Elgyem. If you don't want to use it, you can't say you made that decision because it's bad because it accomplishes a very important thing by beating these Pokemon when paired with Trubbish. Is Elgyem useless against the rest of the tier? I wouldn't say so, not with Recover for reliable healing and Thunder Wave for parahaxing and slowing down enemies, which Porygon also uses, except Porygon is weak to Fighting and Elgyem is resistant (and is also resistant to Psychic), and Elgyem takes neutral hits pretty well too. HP Fighting demolishes Pawniard, and being paralyzed doesn't let it use Knock Off on Elgyem before dying to it. It's also safe to say that the switches caused by Trubbish (Mienfoo is walled and Pawniard fears Drain Punch) will mean a good one or two layers at least of Spikes will be in play for its team.

Stop saying or implying that Solosis is better than Elgyem too. The only thing Solosis has over Elgyem is Regenerator but it can spam Recover until its active foe gets parahaxed anyway. Slowpoke can win too but it's weak to Thunder Punch whereas Elgyem and Solosis cannot be hit super effectively by Meditite at all.

Oh wait, Elgyem can also spam Recover until Meditite gets parahaxed, and only has an 11.3% of being 2HKOed by Life Orb High Jump Kick (also providing it doesn't miss, ouch!), so with that in consideration, can Life Orb Meditite really be relied on to beat Elgyem in this manner? It's already 100% certain that Eviolite Meditite will lose.

I recommend using Elgyem over all the others except maybe Wynaut, but to call Elgyem "trash" or "something that would only be good if Pawniard didn't exist" or "something I would never resort to because it sucks" ...these statements are not only arbitrary but are also completely untrue. If you fail to realize that because you haven't tried it or have already made the decision that you won't, just remember you can't say you came to that conclusion because it's bad. And as I said, simple statements like "yea but it sucks" are too dismissive and not insightful enough to make a point, especially when the proof has been here that it's a legit Pokemon, and the core it forms with Trubbish would be solid even if Meditite didn't exist. Meditite only makes it shine brighter because of its STAB combination.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-106918857
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-106931958

I'm hardly saying to not use Elgyem, I'm saying that it's got very limited use outside of Meditite. We're talking about a metagame that features Misdreavus, Pawniard, Scraggy and Murkrow among others. When something like Pawniard Knocks Elgyem or something of that sort, it's done. You've got little to beat Tite with. It's got bulk, but the sheer amount of threats that stomp on Elgyem are numerous, common, and exceptionally threatening (not to mention common partners of Pawniard). I've used Elgyem before, and it's extremely underwhelming. It's bait for a lot of common Pokemon, and it's surprisingly easy to come in to. Honestly, I think it really says something about Meditite when you're trying to justify not banning it by listing a Pokemon that 1) You're trying to justify its viability outside of beating Tite and 2) Listing a Pokemon that people don't really use to begin with.

Listing off an obscure Pokemon doesn't exactly help your case. Pokemon like Honedge and Slowpoke are legitimate checks to Meditite (that are worthy of discussion) I'll admit, but tbh Elgyem isn't, considering that it hits like 105 in usage stats lol. Even worse is that nobody really runs a Trubbish/Elgyem core, as despite its cool anti-meta factor, it doesn't really seem to accomplish much outside of beating the Meditite/Mienfoo/Pawniard team.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm hardly saying to not use Elgyem, I'm saying that it's got very limited use outside of Meditite. We're talking about a metagame that features Misdreavus, Pawniard, Scraggy and Murkrow among others. When something like Pawniard Knocks Elgyem or something of that sort, it's done. You've got little to beat Tite with. It's got bulk, but the sheer amount of threats that stomp on Elgyem are numerous, common, and exceptionally threatening (not to mention common partners of Pawniard). I've used Elgyem before, and it's extremely underwhelming. It's bait for a lot of common Pokemon, and it's surprisingly easy to come in to. Honestly, I think it really says something about Meditite when you're trying to justify not banning it by listing a Pokemon that 1) You're trying to justify its viability outside of beating Tite and 2) Listing a Pokemon that people don't really use to begin with.

Listing off an obscure Pokemon doesn't exactly help your case. Pokemon like Honedge and Slowpoke are legitimate checks to Meditite (that are worthy of discussion) I'll admit, but tbh Elgyem isn't, considering that it hits like 105 in usage stats lol. Even worse is that nobody really runs a Trubbish/Elgyem core, as despite its cool anti-meta factor, it doesn't really seem to accomplish much outside of beating the Meditite/Mienfoo/Pawniard team.
I don't understand how that makes Elgyem "not up for discussion" when Honedge and Slowpoke are countered by virtually the same pokemon. Knock Off ruins all meditite "counters", not just Elgyem. With prediction, it can be scary to come into, especially with Thunder Wave and the possibility of HP fighting/Thunderbolt... not to mention Analtyic... but I digress; this thread isn't about Elg.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
A problem I have with Meditite's coverage is that it requires so much prediction, as each coverage move is so specialized. Drain Punch/HJK, Zen Headbutt/Psycho Cut, and Bullet Punch/Fake Out all have a general purpose, to kill and heal, to kill what fighting STAB doesn't, and to make up for lackluster speed. On the other hand, coverage moves only really are meant to hit one thing.

Fire Punch hits Honedge and Eggs
Thunder Punch hits Slowpoke and Vullaby
Ice Punch hits Vullaby and ground types and Eggs I guess
Poison Jab hits Spritzee and other fairies

That amount of coverage is important, of course, but you won't really use any of those moves instead of your STAB outside of psychic types and honedge, as they just don't have enough power or utility. That is what ultimately limits the scarf set, too, as if Meditite locks into a coverage move, there's a whole lot that can switch in a force it out- you lock into a punch move and Chinchou gets to volt switch to a counter as you are all but forced to switch out.

I think that prem's quote back from BW, when fighting types were even better, still applies, even if he holds a different view now.
prem said:
sure it can 2hko the whole meta, but its not particularly fast, and not exactly bulky. all of its checks rely on it not using drain punch so you guys are really exagerating its bulk. its so overly reliant on prediction that unless you are a god player who can read minds (ie none of you) its not going to win games for you as often as you think. everything faster has a way of bringing massive pain to it. also in a juice meta sturdy users lol at it.
To use a practical example, say your opponent has a Gastly, a Vullaby, and has their Pawniard out now. You know that the Gastly outspeeds, and has 20 special attack, so it can OHKO with shadow ball, and you cannot OHKO with bullet punch. Vullaby has no prior damage. Pawniard is not a scarf set, and is at more than 50%. Your opponent is not a moron. You can discount the rest of their team. If you must switch out to avoid being KOed, then you give them momentum, so that is the worst case scenario.

You have Thunder Punch, Zen Headbutt, Bullet Punch, and Drain Punch, with Eviolite, the best set of moves in this case. Let's go through a thought process.

It's a reasonable assumption to say that Pawniard will not stay in. They know that Gastly can beat you, so a quick decision might be to use Zen Headbutt, as that'll easily take out Gastly. But, of course, your opponent has that Vullaby, which will also work. Thunder Punch is not resisted by anything, at least puts Gastly in KO range of Bullet Punch, and will hurt Pawn if they decide to stay in like a moron. That is the "safest move."

You win if they switch. If they predict what you do better than you, and stay in like a moron, they win.
236+ Atk Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 116 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Meditite: 10-13 (47.6 - 61.9%) -- 93.8% chance to 2HKO
236+ Atk Pawniard Sucker Punch vs. 116 HP / 156 Def Meditite: 12-15 (57.1 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Meditite comes down to playing a guessing game, where sometimes the safest move isn't really the safest.

On an almost completely different note, why is Murkrow so much better this generation than last? In BW it was not banned when we transitioned to XY, where it arguably only got a nerf. The fact that steel no longer resists dark type moves was unimportant, as Krow always used Heat Wave. The new Fairy Type, although it did not resist Krow's Brave Bird, gave Krow yet another weakness to exploit its frailty, and Carvahna, who is one of Krow's best checks due to Speed Boost, was back in play. A lot of the same arguments that were being said back then still apply (no, we weren't the first people to notice that Chinchou did a good job countering Krow), and Krow only really received a nerf. That may be a good point to think about when discussing Krow.

Also, another check of all non-eviolite Meditite is Carvahna, who also works as a check to Krow.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.

Lol

Elgyem functions similarly to Porygon, and Porygon is "bait" for every Fighting-type in the tier, and there's at least one on every team. Most slow things are going to be bait for something and a good many of these have high usage anyway, and they have different issues; therefore Elgyem is not a worse case than mons of this category just because it's slow, it's only "bait" for different things.

Beating Meditite/Mienfoo/Pawniard (without Pursuit) is a damn good enough reason for me to run the Trubbish + Elgyem core, and I don't really need it for anything else. But don't forget the other important advantages that come with using this core, which include stacking Spikes and spreading paralysis, two crucial tactics that really help out a team offensively. It's also worth noting that the core beats the best cleric in the tier (Spritzee), to make sure that paralysis remains a problem for the opposing team. Sure, there's Chinchou for absorbing Thunder Wave, but it is beaten by this core as well because it has no super effective moves and they can both reliably recover health continuously while Chinchou cannot. It's also pretty widely accepted that Trubbish is like the best Knock Off wall of all time with its resistance to Fighting and its Sticky Hold + Berry Juice/Recycle combination. For the Pokemon that do give this core trouble, like Scraggy and Misdreavus... Trubbish/Elgyem is only 2 slots out of 6 for a team, and 2 mons being able to beat a handful of major ones (Meditite, Mienfoo, Pawniard, Timburr, Spritzee, Chinchou, other things that can't 2HKO and can't continuously recover health) while stacking Spikes and spreading paralysis is good enough for me when I teambuild.

Last edited:
also pursuit pawn is incredibly common i saw it a lot while i was laddering and its honestly on like everyone of my serious teams.
Pursuit 14.411% - 0.0
Pursuit 18.280% - 1565 (lower than SD, Brick Break and SR, SR being 12% after BB's 40%)
Pursuit 22.438% - 1630 (lower than SR and SD which are after a drop of over 50%)
Pursuit 27.352% - 1695 (drop from over 50%)
Pursuit 31.191% - 1760 (drop from over 50%)
Pursuit 16.153% - LC suspect in general

I think it's clear that saying it's "extremely common" just because you use it extensively is a long stretch. Also, how is this quote any different than what you criticized Briyella for doing beforehand? You act as though just because you, as an experienced LC player, use something, everybody else who plays the tier does the exact same. Pursuit is not even on the actual set analysis for any Pawniard sets, except Choice Scarf, it is merely mentioned.

On an almost completely different note, why is Murkrow so much better this generation than last? In BW it was not banned when we transitioned to XY, where it arguably only got a nerf. The fact that steel no longer resists dark type moves was unimportant, as Krow always used Heat Wave. The new Fairy Type, although it did not resist Krow's Brave Bird, gave Krow yet another weakness to exploit its frailty, and Carvahna, who is one of Krow's best checks due to Speed Boost, was back in play. A lot of the same arguments that were being said back then still apply (no, we weren't the first people to notice that Chinchou did a good job countering Krow), and Krow only really received a nerf. That may be a good point to think about when discussing Krow.

Also, another check of all non-eviolite Meditite is Carvahna, who also works as a check to Krow.
It's not, Murkrow was broken in BW, I guess more Scarf Mienfoo was ran then, and freakin SubThief isn't a thing. However, a lot of people would think Krow is broken, almost as much as the people that think it now.

That aside Trubbish/Elygem does beat most Meditite cores, although both Pokes have some issues with Misdreavus but that's another problem. I'm not questioning the viability of the core, as it is actually really good on bulky offense teams and I'm thinking of running it on my Bellsprout team :D. However, that core can't fit on everything. The main problem with the current meta imo is how powerful(not how effective, just straight up powerful) offensive teams are and how many OHKOes and 2HKOes there are. That along with all coinflip predictions still make me on the pro-ban side. It's great that we now have a core or at least an option to feel safe against the Meditite/Pawniard/Mienfoo core without just trying to overpower/revenge kill it, but with its longevity, power and utility I still think its broken for the current meta. It's cool that we have an nice counter core to it but you can say the same thing about Rotom-W and Jirachi in the BW OU Tornadus-T era for example. That wasn't enough to keep that thing in the meta.

Pursuit is an option on Pawniard, particularly on Scarf, but this isn't BW where we are pursuiting Snovers or anything so it really falls of in usage. It's still enough of a thing to be a problem but it's not really on everyone's teams.

Pursuit 14.411% - 0.0
Pursuit 18.280% - 1565 (lower than SD, Brick Break and SR, SR being 12% after BB's 40%)
Pursuit 22.438% - 1630 (lower than SR and SD which are after a drop of over 50%)

I think it's clear that saying it's "extremely common" just because you use it extensively is a long stretch. Also, how is this quote any different than what you criticized Briyella for doing beforehand? You act as though just because you, as an experienced LC player, use something, everybody else who plays the tier does the exact same. Pursuit is not even on the actual set analysis for any Pawniard sets, except Choice Scarf, it is merely mentioned.
31% at the top of the ladder actually is extremely common considering things like Fire Punch Meditite are considered sometimes when they get <5% usage.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pursuit 14.411% - 0.0

okay that was apparently confirmation bias on my paart im sorry. though yes 31% IS very high. that was something like mienfoo's usage last gen at some point so saying 31% isnt very high is pretty dumb.

also the analyses arent really updated with what is happening in the meta. pursuit pawn wasnt really popular until like the second half of spl where it saw a lot more usage from everything i saw. again this could probably be confirmattion bias because im not caring enough to go look up the exact statistics and its coming straight from my memory.

regardless theres no way we can actually say "oh its not common so therefore its not a problem" because we are taking into account fire punch meditite and stuff like jake just said lol

I've seen Pursuit Pawniard only once and I've never seen Fire Punch Meditite in my life. I'm talking out of about 70 battles in this current meta.
I haven't seen Pursuit Pawniard either and I had about 60 battles on the suspect ladder and topped it too. But as far as looking at the stats and not anecdotal evidence, 31% is pretty high compared to other threats that I feel like I see often. I'm still anti-ban on tits, but I just found it interesting that Pursuit is actually used a fair amount apparently.

I honestly don't see why were talking about whether Pursuit is common move on Pawniard or not. If Pawniard can remove nearly all all of Meditite's counters with Pursuit and allow Meditite to freely sweep without repercussion, then no matter how often Pursuit is used on Pawniard, Meditite would be considered broken.

Last edited:

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
I honestly don't see why were taking whether Pursuit is common move on Pawniard or not. If Pawniard can remove nearly all all of Meditite's counters with Pursuit and allow Meditite to freely sweep without repercussion, then no matter how often Pursuit is used on Pawniard, Meditite would be considered broken.
It's statements like these here that create the unfair idea that these Pokemon are able to carry more moves than they actually can, when they don't.

"As long as it gets the move, it automatically applies" is an idea I do not agree with.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I honestly don't see why were taking whether Pursuit is common move on Pawniard or not. If Pawniard can remove nearly all all of Meditite's counters with Pursuit and allow Meditite to freely sweep without repercussion, then no matter how often Pursuit is used on Pawniard, Meditite would be considered broken.
Any offensive pokemon, should their counters be removed, can sweep freely. Pawniard + Meditite is indeed a delicious core; albeit very predictable. Most of Meditite's counters can pick off an obvious Pawniard switch with a coverage move. Misdreavus and Elgyem got Hp Fighting on it; Flame bodies have, well, flame body, and fire-stab; slowpoke has scald... etc, etc. Not to mention WoW and Thunder Wave and Substitute and whatnot and whonow. I don't think having good team support is grounds for determining if something is broken.

We can't cherry pick arguments; if we apply all Meditite's coverage moves, no matter how uncommon, we can do that for its counters as well. Same thing goes for prediction and the like.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Bri again lol.

Last edited:
So, I never said Pursuit wasn't common. However, more than 50% of the time, the moveset you will always see on Eviolite Pawniard is Sucker Punch, Knock Off, Iron Head and either Brick Break, Stealth Rock or Swords Dance. Also, the Pursuit usage is probably almost all from the use of Choice Scarf Pawniard, which is used 35% of the time. However, that is just as easily a clear way to deal with Wynaut checks.

merritt said:
On an almost completely different note, why is Murkrow so much better this generation than last?
Nobody said Murkrow is better than it was last gen. Murkrow is the same OP piece of ass bird it has always been in LC, literally. However, last gen, Murkrow was a necessary evil. It beat so many things that would otherwise have been a major problem, and without any other mon that could keep fighting-types in check as well as it could, that is clearly a major problem. This gen, however, we don't need the King of Birds as much, due to our newly acquired Fletchling, which handles fighters just as easily.

Now, I should probably take notice of discussion questions in the OP, but everything I would say has already been said. Is Murkrow as blatantly OP as Gligar and Swirlix were last meta? No. However, does this mean Murkrow isn't OP? No. Murkrow can literally rip apart tons of teams in the metagame,whether or not those teams are prepared for the Bird Slut. Murkrow pretty much restricts teambuilding far more than Gligar could have ever wished to. It forces you to run Chinchou, Archen, or defensive Tirtouga on every team if you hope to survive, or outpredict the user of the bird himself. Murkrow does indeed make playing this tier less fun. Nobody wants to deal with its Swagger shenanigans. Also, the fact that Murkrow is so versatile just makes it all that more infuriating; Murkrow's movepool is pretty ridiculous. I would also argue that Murkrow detracts players from playing LC simply because it makes the tier dull, and the same teams over and over, with little or no variations.

As for Meditite, it does have coverage moves enabling it to beat most of its checks in the tier.However, aside from this, using one coverage move over another opens Meditite to be bait for a different check. Though, this isn't to say that a moveset without priority in Bullet Punch or Fake Out isn't possible, though that moveset sounds pretty annoying to use. Meditite doesn't restrict team building much, if at all. You'll have plenty of Medi checks just by making a team, whether or bot Meditite even crossed your mind. Honestly,the only people who realy should even considering using Elgyem, Wynaut, Solosis, Drowzee, etc for dealing with Meditite are people that would otherwise be murdered by it. As, these pokemon are clearly for extreme cases; You are not forced to use these pokemon on any serious team you make. Meditite doesn't make LC less fun, in fact, I think Meditite makes LC even more fun. As Briyella stated earlier, Meditite brings variation to the tier. Whether or not it's "healthy" variation is not important, the variation is still there, and is very much evident, which I as an LC player enjoy whole-heartedly. The core of Elgyem + Trubbish is very original, and very creative. This core, also, would never have come up if Meditite wasn't here. As for Meditite making players not want to play, I have not seen this at all. Meditite is checked by so many pokemon, again, that I don't see it being a cause of players not playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)