Bleach Discussion Thread

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
^
This was brought up earlier. I also suggested something on similar lines.
Visionary is limited by its user's attention span, which basically means that Gremmy can only have so many things going on at once before older parts of the Visionary are cancelled out.
eg: Yachiru's cookie bones.

Of course a pyramid structure works but if he would have the focus and command that down the chain is another matter after all. It is after all limited by his mental faculties... and he's proven to be quite a pea brain.

to be honest i think hachi's method of dealing wih barragan was quite ingenious even though it doesn't make sense barragan isn't immune to his own power.

kenpachi's shikai is stupid. remember when isshin told grand fisher how capitains can control the size of their zapakutous lest they carry skyscrapper-sized swords. kubo doesn't. the one possible explanation that i am in any degree willing to accept is, much like ichigo, kenpachi has no experience with that and thus cannot control the size of his sword.

Bull of Heaven

Yeah, Kenpachi doesn't seem like someone that would be very interested in controlling it, or would know how. I don't see anything wrong with that.

What confuses me is that it changed in appearance at all. I thought the sword that Kenpachi had been using all this time was already in a permanent shikai state (like Zangetsu before Kubo decided that wasn't really Zangetsu) and he just couldn't use any powers that it might have because he didn't know its name. Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, shouldn't it still look the same after he activated it?

Edit: unless its power is to change its shape or something dumb like that.

you need to call on your sword's name to upgrade to shikai (like everyone does). kenpachi's sword was always asauchi mode because he didnt know it's name. ichigo's was different in that he called zangetsu only once and it maintained the shikai state permanently. so kenpachi could never use his sword's special (shikai) abilities before due to not knowing its name at all and thus not being able to trigger shikai.

for all we know it could be something simple like getting stronger the more the fight goes on or getting stronger with stronger opponents. knowing kubo it will be something retarded like boil the water in your blood or shoot senbonzakura kageyoshi from my dick.

The whole thing with the "swords as big as skyscrapers" thing was that, while they COULD be that big, they'd be so damn weakly made that they'd break if someone took one good swing at you. The fact that Kenpachi's is that big AND strong enough to destroy the meteorite that burst through the sereitei wall thing with ease (which, granted, isn't saying all that much) plus whatever other power it probably has means that yes: this is really freaking strong, and I don't see how he wouldn't have control of it now...

because much like ichigo kenpachi is absolutely incompetent when it comes to kidou abilities. besides he and his squadron despise those who use kidou and refuse to resort to them. dig up ichigo's fight with madarame, he explains precisely this.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
because much like ichigo kenpachi is absolutely incompetent when it comes to kidou abilities. besides he and his squadron despise those who use kidou and refuse to resort to them. dig up ichigo's fight with madarame, he explains precisely this.
Is it actually stated that Kenpachi is incompetent with Kidou? If it's not, for all we know he could be, and he just doesn't use them because he doesn't want to.

Is it actually stated that Kenpachi is incompetent with Kidou? If it's not, for all we know he could be, and he just doesn't use them because he doesn't want to.
I think that considering his unwillingness to even learn basic kendo techniques, he's probably incompetent with any form of kidou. For Kenpachi it's just cut, cut, cut.

Looking forward to his Shikai's ability, hopefully it'll be revealed this week but knowing Kubo...

Unless a kido out there increases his own slashing ability (and even then), I doubt he's interested. Remember this is the guy who grew bored of kendo after a day and actively suppressed his power just to enjoy fights longer.

Bull of Heaven

Okay, I did some digging to find what I was talking about earlier. Kenpachi said some things to Ichigo when they fought that suggested a permanent shikai, but he also claimed that his zanpakutou didn't have a name, so presumably this wasn't supposed to be taken seriously.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Kubo, please give us a character with a broken power that isn't too dumb to live. I liked Gremmy, but killing him off like that left a sour taste in my mouth.

I'm waiting for better translations. But it seems like Gremmy actually overestimated kenpachi to a point in which he tried to gain a power so immense his being could not withstand it, and he imploded.

he imagined kenpachi as an unbeatable monster, as in, nothing could beat him. and then he lost, or something like that.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
He tried to himagine himself into something more powerful than Kenpachi, but he overestimated Kenpachi's power to be unbeatable to such an extent that his imagination couldn't come up with anything more powerful. He dies of sternritter version of steroid overdose. How very dumb.

A.K.A what everyone and his mother-in-law predicted. Just in an extra dumb manner.

Last edited:
So with Gremmy's death, does this mean we get to read up on that Ichigo character that I keep hearing about? I heard he's supposedly the main character or something. /sarcasm

Seriously, wasn't his descent down the stairwell like, 40 some odd chapters ago? Feels like it at least.

I'm just wondering what site you guys are using, as mangapanda's translations cut some of the cursing, which isn't nearly as fun.

But hey at least Kubo found it within him to stop prolonging these fights by forcing every one of them to go Vollstandig before being roflstomped.

Mangastream takes a little longer than panda, but it is the best quality in everything.
I dunno, I find their translations questionable at times if you compare them to some of the other ones and what they're saying. Not saying the other ones are necessarily right either, but when more of them disagree with mangastream, who knows, as some of the changed words and context have impact when trying to understand the story.

Otherwise I cycle through Mangapanda, manymanga, and mangastream.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The mangapanda translations make me go "HAH?" more often though, and are generally more untrustworthy.

Really, with translations it's always a "pick your poison" deal. Ever since posting raws on the internet (TRUE raws-- not Chinese scanlations that dumb asses who can't tell the difference between and upload to mangabird and call "raws") became impossible without getting the copy-write smack downs, there's really no transparency at all in translation. You got to be in Japan, ordering JUMP, or in a scanlation group to see the original text. If only JUMP had a cheap, electronic subscription available-- I would totally be ordering it (and giving them money...). As of right now, it seems that JUMP generally has a distrust of the foreign markets, and focuses its sales on the traditional magazine buyers of the local market. A digital publication is a dream for a far away future I guess.

Since the raws have been shut off the internet, reading scanlations is always a leap of faith in terms of translation; the mangastream team AT LEAST shows that they know how the ENGLISH language works, which in and of itself is enough to put it over the grammatical cest-pool that is the rest of the JUMP scanlation groups.

Also, while I have no idea how good anyone is now, but when I was LIVING in Japan and buying Jump from time to time, Mangastream stood out to me as the best translating team (I still read the scanlations because they would come out sooner than the Japanese magazine in stores, and I didn't subscribe to JUMP).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)