Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you want to do with it once you have evolved it? What team do you want it to go into?

Personally, I couldn't give a stuff about whether or not something is shiny, but I guess that's up to you.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hclegend I'd probably go for Jolteon as timid pretty much restricts you to it or Espeon, and since it has it's regular ability, volt absorb Jolteon is much better than synchronise Espeon... If it's in some cool non-standard ball that would influence my decision somewhat too, but again the nature only really works for two of them, the other specially inclined eeveelutions are hella slow...

EDIT: forgot about eevee 2. If it's not shiny then rebreed it. If it is then you could chose from any of them except Leafeon and Flareon (that attack drop). I would have recommended a bold, calm mind Espeon but it hasn't got stored power bred on which sucks. You really need Foul Play tutored on to make Umbreon worthwhile and Sylveon really enjoys Hyper Voice as well (not totally unviable without it though) so this leaves you with Vappy. But again if it isn't shiny then probably rebreed for perfect HP

Last edited:
Hclegend I'd probably go for Jolteon as timid pretty much restricts you to it or Espeon, and since it has it's regular ability, volt absorb Jolteon is much better than synchronise Espeon... If it's in some cool non-standard ball that would influence my decision somewhat too, but again the nature only really works for two of them, the other specially inclined eeveelutions are hella slow...

EDIT: forgot about eevee 2. If it's not shiny then rebreed it. If it is then you could chose from any of them except Leafeon and Flareon (that attack drop). I would have recommended a bold, calm mind Espeon but it hasn't got stored power bred on which sucks. You really need Foul Play tutored on to make Umbreon worthwhile and Sylveon really enjoys Hyper Voice as well (not totally unviable without it though) so this leaves you with Vappy. But again if it isn't shiny then probably rebreed for perfect HP
No, Eevee 2 isn't shiny. So I'm most likely going to rebreed it and make it a Vappy like you suggested! Thanks! :D
(You do know you can delete your own posts right? Right next to the Edit button :P)

I think there was an old thread somewhere around here, stating a streak in the high 1100s... we used to keep a list, but I'm not sure if it is still around.
This is probably a bit old, but according to a certain site that is somewhat "sketchy" (I can link to it after if one wishes), the world record for the R/S battle tower open level is 1826, assuming using Pokemon outside of Hoenn. Can anyone confirm this? Again, because I'm not too sure about the site itself, I'll only send the link via PM.

Thanks.

Okay, so I recently hatched a shiny Ralts. Sadly it is not flawless.
The IVs IIRC are:
31/31/31/31/11-12/2-3 (Calculated from Psypokes IV calculator)
(That speed tho)
The question is: Do I keep it, or should I try for a better one?
(Keep in mind, I wanted a shiny Gallade, that's a 1/2 chance of failing already, along with getting Justified. As well as e shiny chance itself)
Edit: I only listed 5 IVs. My bad

Last edited:
The IVs IIRC are:
31/31/31/11-12/2-3 (Calculated from Psypokes IV calculator)
(That speed tho)
(Keep in mind, I wanted a shiny Gallade, that's a 1/2 chance of failing already, along with getting Justified. As well as e shiny chance itself)
You only listed five (5) out of the six (6) stats. Either way I'd say use it because it's a shiny... or don't use it. Trick Room will patch up that speed (especially since Gallade has a low base 80 speed to begin with) and Gallade has a respectable base 115 Sp. Def (I'm assuming that's the "11-12"), so it's not too bad. Be wary of super effective hits on the special side, though.

EDIT:
I hatched a similar shiny a while back. My shiny Pancham is missing Sp. Def (couldn't be bothered to check... yet) and instead has a flawless Sp. Atk stat. 31/31/31/31/x/31 with Mold Breaker is not bad, I just can't take any special Fairy, Fighting, Flying, etc. hits.

You only listed five (5) out of the six (6) stats. Either way I'd say use it because it's a shiny... or don't use it. Trick Room will patch up that speed (especially since Gallade has a low base 80 speed to begin with) and Gallade has a respectable base 115 Sp. Def (I'm assuming that's the "11-12"), so it's not too bad. Be wary of super effective hits on the special side, though.
Did I? Shit. I think the missing one was 31 anyway. I guess I could use it...
Fter thinking about it, I'm better off at least trying for another one. Thanks for the advice though!

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
The IVs IIRC are:
31/31/31/31/11-12/2-3 (Calculated from Psypokes IV calculator)
(That speed tho)
Edit: I only listed 5 IVs. My bad
I've hatched a couple of shinies that are non-competitive myself: the meowstic and venusaur in my sig, for example. The meowstic got the HA, but has sub-par speed: it'll never outpace max speed base 100's, which is crippling, and the venusaur got HP Fire, but has an HP IV of 6. -.-

If I were you, I'd keep the ralts as a trophy piece, but I'd keep breeding for a competitive one. If you really want a competitive shiny, you'll probably have better luck checking out the wifi forum and trying to get an SV shiny instead of trying to hatch a lucky shiny on your own game.

Can somebody explain the obsession with shiny to me? They're not even uncommon - every other poke I face seems to be one, if not even more than every other. Meanwhile, they are as ugly as sin (with a few notable exceptions) and do nothing for your stats. And the cherry on the shitcake is that they take you forever to get hold of. And then when I see a team of them, I just assume they're hacked anyway, so you don't even get any credit for effort.

It's the most baffling thing in the game.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Can somebody explain the obsession with shiny to me? They're not even uncommon - every other poke I face seems to be one, if not even more than every other. Meanwhile, they are as ugly as sin (with a few notable exceptions) and do nothing for your stats. And the cherry on the shitcake is that they take you forever to get hold of. And then when I see a team of them, I just assume they're hacked anyway, so you don't even get any credit for effort.

Because that moment, when you're facing a wild encounter and the shiny sound goes off, or when you look at the egg that's just hatched, and you realize that THIS ONE'S DIFFERENT (!!!), that moment has meaning.

You may consider them 'ugly as sin', but to many others they're simply amazing. Part of it is just how hard to encounter they are, even with X/Y's improved shiny rate. Near everyone likes chasing something incredibly rare and special, even if in reality it isn't all that special.

Well, if you like them then you like them, I suppose. Having hatched 1000s of eggs myself, however, the last thing I wanted to do was check each and every one of them for shiny status. It's entirely possible that some shinies have been binned in that time.

I did end up with my flawless, correct natured and egg moves Sigilyph being shiny, though, just out of pure coincidence. And that really is one of the pretty ones, as it happens. So I'm pleased about that.

I want to Masuda Method Feebas once I am finished with Magikarp and I have 4 good Feebas and I wonder how to breed them with each other to get the better of: nature, egg moves, shiny chance, Ivs...

n°1: Female, Level 11, Jap, Modest, Oblivious
Moves: Splash, Captivate, Mirror Coat, Dragon Pulse
Ivs: 31 in everything except speed

n°2: male, Level 1, Jap, Modest, Swift Swim
Moves: Hypnosis, Brine, Mirror Coat, Dragon Pulse

n°3: male, Level 1, Eng, Bold, Swift Swim
Moves: Splash, Confuse Ray, Haze, Hypnosis
Ivs: 31 in everything except defense and special attack

n°4: female, level 1, Eng, Bold, Swift swim
Moves: Splash, Haze, Mirror Coat, Hypnosis
Ivs: 31 in everything except special defense and speed

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I want to Masuda Method Feebas once I am finished with Magikarp and I have 4 good Feebas and I wonder how to breed them with each other to get the better of: nature, egg moves, shiny chance, Ivs...

n°1: Female, Level 11, Jap, Modest, Oblivious
Moves: Splash, Captivate, Mirror Coat, Dragon Pulse

n°2: male, Level 1, Jap, Modest, Swift Swim
Moves: Hypnosis, Brine, Mirror Coat, Dragon Pulse

n°3: male, Level 1, Eng, Bold, Swift Swim
Moves: Splash, Confuse Ray, Haze, Hypnosis
Ivs: 31 in everything except defense and special attack

n°4: female, level 1, Eng, Bold, Swift swim
Moves: Splash, Haze, Mirror Coat, Hypnosis
Ivs: 31 in everything except special defense and speed
I would use the male Japanese one as your 'foreign' parent, but before you start Masuda-ing you should take the time to breed a flawless female. Both your English Feebas only have 3 desirable perfect stats. So breed up a 31/x/31/31/31/31 female one then pair it with the Japanese male and hope when you get a shiny it has a good IV spread!

If you absolutely have to use those 4 I would go 1+3, but the chance of getting a 5iv flawless from them is 2.6%. If you go with no.2 and a flawless female you have bred then you have a 9.8% chance of the offspring being flawless. (Obviously that doesn't include the shiny chance)

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
For competitive play, Competitive is the better ability on Milotic, so you almost certainly want to use the Japanese mother, since Oblivious Feebas -> Competitive Milotic. Your goal will be to switch Milotic into Defog, pick up the Competitive boost, and attack away. Modest is also a better nature than Bold for such a build, so give her the Everstone, though there's a strong argument for running Timid too (but that would require a new parent or hatching a lot of eggs with no Everstone until you get lucky on nature). Note that if you want to use Milotic in the Battle Maison or the like, Marvel Scale is likely the better ability (though free Competitive boosts off of intimidate are still nice). Thankfully, you can always just switch using an ability capsule if you need, since neither Competitive nor Marvel Scale is a Hidden Ability for Milotic.

Don't worry about the egg moves much, as none of those moves are particularly strong competitively.

For IVs and Shinyness, I recommend a two step process. First, breed the above mother with the English male lacking Def and Spa, giving the male the Destiny Knot. Hatch eggs until you get something strictly better, say a Male with perfect IVs in everything but Defense. That male will be French, so you can then rebreed it with the same Japanese mother and still have the increased chance of a shiny egg because the parents will still come from different regions. Keep hatching eggs until you hit a nice happy max everything but Att Oblivous baby. Maybe you'll even get really lucky and hatch a nice shiny while you are at it.

A little bit more of a serious question than game mechanics, and I'm not even sure if this sort of question is appropriate here...
But for those of you in College/University, when do you find the time to play Pokémon/go on smogon? Just I'm right out of School this year and going into College and was just a little worried about how much free time I'd get.

A little bit more of a serious question than game mechanics, and I'm not even sure if this sort of question is appropriate here...
But for those of you in College/University, when do you find the time to play Pokémon/go on smogon? Just I'm right out of School this year and going into College and was just a little worried about how much free time I'd get.
That's a question that really can't be answered. There are many factors, and each one differs for each individual.

If you only go part-time, then it should be no problem - same for night classes. There are, of course, exceptions.

Are you really serious about College/Uni? Are you motivated?

Do you have a tight schedule or have difficult courses?

Do you have any other hobbies and/or responsibilities, such as a Job? Is it part-time?

How often do you actually attend your courses?

Are you naturally able to learn the material easily, or do you need to study a lot?

How often or much do you play Pokemon/browse through Smogon?

The list goes on and on. I'd say you ask yourself these questions and others when you've started College. The beginning probably won't be as difficult as it will be later, so don't answer these questions immediately. I know I'm probably not helping you at all by asking questions in return.

The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to evaluate your own situation and make a judgment based on your responses to the above questions (and others you can think of). I'm sure others will respond with more helpful information (I know I'm useless . _.).

Well... to be fair, everything considered, that was probably the best answer you could have given -- thanks anyway; I guess I am just a little worried about free time. Just the whole school to college leap and all.

Well... to be fair, everything considered, that was probably the best answer you could have given -- thanks anyway; I guess I am just a little worried about free time. Just the whole school to college leap and all.
Unless you're going to study something like medicine or, I don't even know... anatomy or something, don't worry too much about it. Sure, you will probably have to relinquish a bit of your free time, but not all of it. I'm sure an hour or two a day is plenty for a college student, who works, and even has household duties (cooking, shopping, cleaning, etc.).

All in all, just tone it down a bit (or a lot, depending on whether the situation calls for it). College isn't like high school, just remember that.

Balls to that.

Tone down your pokemon playing at uni because it will be the one short period of your life that you will be free and unfettered in the middle of a massive ready-made social group. For three years or so, you can do what the hell you want with whomever the hell you want. For the love of Gyarados, don't spend it playing pokemon. You'll have another 70 years to do that in. Probably 40 of which will involve lots of commuting.

I left uni over 15 years ago and I still look back on it fondly. A lot more fondly than my pokemon grinding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)