Smogon's Official World Cup Discussion (Congrats to Glaucius on winning Pick'em!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Anus is much more common than rectum :|

But we usually say arsch, po, bobbes, gesäß, hinterteil or something else. Butuusually it's Arsch, except for user lowgock

Got this post from the guardian.

Luis Suárez has now been banned for 39 matches since 2010 without receiving a single red card

Bite one: 7 matches
Bite two: 10 matches
Bite three: 9 internationals and 13 club (9 league, 1 League Cup and 3 Champions League)

Nine games or four months without playing. The brits prolly aren't happy, but what are you gonna do.

Since I was so critical about Argentina's performance on the first two games, I'd say it's only fair I give my impressions of this last game. First of all, those that reduced the game to Messi + 10 fillers really should get their sight checked or just go watch another sport. The first 45 mins of the team were simply great, we could've easily been winning 4-1 and no one could complain. Those arguing that Nigeria let the fantastic four (or three in this case because of Agüero) play are definitely right, but Nigeria didn't even have many chances to say that the game was really close. We had change of pace, the attackers moved much more than last game, we had long distance shots... Basically everything that we sucked on against Iran was fixed. The early bird goal prolly helped a lot, of course.

I liked Di María, Higuaín, Gago, Masche, Rojo, Lavezzi, and Garay, besides obviously Messi who really helped the other players have a much better performance. For those that define a team by the chances they generate, I counted ten besides the goals—four from Ángel, two from Pipita (one offside), one from Lio + the first set piece, one from Lavezzi after Di María's assist, and Garay's header. Of course the game drastically changed after Messi left the field (although the fact that the Nigerian player breaking his arm stopped the game for 2 mins also contributed to that), but the first 60 mins were generally very good. Garay only lost once against Emenike who was a big nightmare, ironically the play ended up being the second goal. Masche controlled the mid like he'd done against Bosnia, Higuaín participated a lot although he couldn't score... Definitely a good game that just as well could've been 5-2.

Now we have to face an interesting team in Switzerland, I hope we don't change besides Agüero because at this point we have to emphasize on the good things. I really don't know how many teams can beat us in the blow for blow if we play like we did yesterday, maybe Nederlands and Germany, but they should definitely be close. If anything the biggest change I could understand is a 4-4-2 with Maxi over Agüero or Pipita.

Edit Soul Fly : No I don't want him in the group. I'd rather lose than depend on a guy that has proven time and time again that he's a bad influence, even if he's a great player. Everyone talks shit about Suárez because of what he does on the field, but unlike Carlos he actually helps his teammates even from outside, yet the hatred against Tévez only lasts a couple of weeks...

Oh and also for the record:
<Ernesto> tbh I don't feel the ban was so terrible
<Ernesto> but I can't help but think that the people that decided it exude corruption and shouldn't be allowed to judge anyone
<Ernesto> lol

Last edited:
Liverpool have to refuse to pay his wages during these 4 months and he should be fined.

I actually think he got off lightly. I imagined a lot worse.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Now we have to face an interesting team in Switzerland, I hope we don't change besides Agüero because at this point we have to emphasize on the good things. I really don't know how many teams can beat us in the blow for blow if we play like we did yesterday, maybe Nederlands and Germany, but they should definitely be close. If anything the biggest change I could understand is a 4-4-2 with Maxi over Agüero or Pipita.
Now if Argentina only had a certain striker with a bad temper and team issues, but with an uncanny knack of scoring big at important games.

MoxieInfinite

Banned deucer.
rofl at suarez

A thing that crossed my mind today. Have any national coach gotten fired/resigned WHILE the team still is in the World Cup?

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Now if Argentina only had a certain striker with a bad temper and team issues, but with an uncanny knack of scoring big at important games.
Argentina has that tendency to lose games due to fights in the dress room so why would you risk that? I think that leaving Tevez out is a good decision.

So any predictions ?

Brazil have a tough ride the idea that they are gonna have to get through most likely Chile, Colombia, Germany, and Holland / Argentina to win the tournament yet are still the bookies favourite is ridiculous.

Colombia look really good, Uruguay were struggling even with Suarez. Wouldn't put it past Colombia to get past the Brazil / Chile winner.

Fully expect France vs German quarter finals. France are looking good but their not Germany good who should make it to at least the semis.

Mexico are gonna give Holland a difficult time, Holland have been the best looking team in the tournament though; they should scrape by.

Costa Rica vs Greece have both exceeded expectations no idea who wins here. Either way they are most likely just cannon fodder for Holland / Mexico.

Argentina have a free ride to the semi finals,

Belgium are the most overrated team in the competition. Wouldn't be surprised if USA beat them.

If we get Argentina vs Holland I fully expect Holland to destroy them, too much pace, better manager, better team, and Argentina won't have any experience of playing anyone really good by then.

In theory its Argentina, Germany, Holland, Brazil for the semi finals, but there is always a surprise at these stages and Colombia, Chile and Mexico have all looked far too good probably gonna see one of them in the Semi Finals.

I would go with either Germany vs Holland or Brazil vs Holland final at this point.

Last edited:

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
The group phase was awesome, 136 goals, like wow, that was a record.
Brazil vs Chile will be difficult for us; I know Chile played better untill now, but I still have hopes :]
Colombia rapes Uruguai.
I wouldn't be surprised if Brazil doesn't win against Colombia, but if you saw these guys playing at the Confederations Cup you know what I am talking about; they've already gotten rid of Paulinho so good news; I hope Neymar just doesn't do any shit, because without him, Brazil looses, thats it.
Germany vs France is an interesting match, both teams played well so far, but I am going with Germans.
I would like the other bracket to be Costa Rica vs Neatherlands, but it will probably be Argentina vs Neatherlands.
I won't predict semi till I see dat teams playing ;-;

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
I would be thoroughly surprised if both Netherlands and Argentina make it to the Semifinals. The Netherlands have proved they're a counter-attacking threat, but do they have what it takes to break defensive teams? Mexico, Greece and Costa Rica aren't as prone (if at all) to counter-attacks as the teams that the Netherlands have faced before, so I think that they're not going to smash their way to the semis easily.

On the other side Argentina has looked pretty mediocre both offensively and defensively, and they still haven't proven themselves against a good team. Only against a Nigeria team lacking organization they showed their attacking quality (while showing their weakness to fast breaks), but is it enough?

So basically, it might be risky to say neither is going to make semifinals, but I'm pretty sure one of them will lose before that.

And yeah Brazil shouldn't be the favourites, but just think for a moment what would happen if Brazil lost to Chile... We would have to cancel the World Cup lol

Edit: Here are my picks for R16 Winners:

Brazil
Columbia
France
Germany
Netherlands
Costa Rica
Argentine
Belgium

Also is it me or the Netherlands have the easier path to the final since ever? HUP HUP 4TH SILVER HOLLAND!

Last edited:

OrbitingDeath

formerly SkylarGreen
The dutch might have an easy path, I still see them fuck up somewhere down the road. Maybe the stadium for the game versus Mexico is too hot for them.
I am from the Netherlands myself and was really pessimistic before the tournament started, I didn't even see us getting out of the group alive. So hope they keep suprising me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)