Big Lord of the Rings Mafia - Game Over! Forces of Sauron Win!

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'm more surprised how the village got away with so much early considering 90% of our power roles were outed to the mafia in some way by Night 1
Eagle4 didn't reveal that he had an all fellowship BG on top of his tracker claim. Or maybe he did and Ullar forgot to mention it, idk. We also didn't know that Legolas was imanalt, so we actually failed to kill on two previous attempts: One where he was protected by Legolas, the other when he pledged his sword.

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It was nothing against you Pokeguy it's just that your vote was essential to the outcome of the game and it was quite clear you would not be coming back before deadline...if you know deadline is going to be at a certain time, please make sure you send in an action (if a night) or make a vote (if during the day) in the future.

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
I admit, I was a loose cannon.

Like, REALLY loose.

I honestly forgot that billy told me to lie low and not oppose LW...which I did the opposite of.

Whoops.

All in all, fun game. Helped me feel a tad more confident about these things!

EDIT: Other than gathering claims from rubes, I still fail to see how I was THAT great of a player according to UncleSam :/

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
gg. it was fun to watch but glad i didn't sign up in the end, i wouldn't be able to contribute much >_>
I'm not trying to call you out specifically, but this was a mindset brought up earlier in the thread. You can't go into this mindset with "oh i can't be able to contribute much, so I'm not going to try." Even if you think it's wrong, some activity is better than no activity and though some people are harsher and less tolerant than others, you can at least learn about some of the NOC playstyles in mafia (if you're willing to read through the 10-11 page day 1 or w/e the fuck it was at least earlier on prior to LightWolf getting a dominant leadership going, it was a cluster of all 40-something people (which most noc games are typically about half this size) posting to make opinions known. This is more of a homage to traditional mafia setups rather than what Smogon mafia has become as a version of diplomacy/team exercises. The best way to understand/contribute is to just jump into it and play in games. Don't feel let down if X calls you retarded, people would say almost anything to try to get to what they want. If you're still hesitant on signing up, you can still be an observer in most games if you PM the host. It's expected that observers don't ruin games by telling people information about the game, but the insight you'd get from almost everyone's perspective is good to have and can provide an idea on how to or how not to play for different scenarios.

Most activity in non-NOC games happen on IRC, so connect to IRC, you can get on through Mibbit, though if you do, I recommend saving logs through copypasting into a google doc or somewhere else you would remember to look at. Plenty of people don't use Mibbit for whatever reason and use downloadable clients, ask around for which ones people like, depending on the operating system.

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
[01:08] <UncleSam> LN forte requests we do postgame next wednesday
[01:08] <UncleSam> could you do like 7 PM
[01:08] <LonelyNess> i can probably do that
[01:08] <UncleSam> EDT

If anyone wants to join the call with me Bass and LN PM me; I will try to post something tomorrow that will serve as a pseudo postgame and then link a longer discussion about the game when we have it next week/LN uploads it to YouTube.

EDIT: Note we will start at 7:30 EDT rather than 7

Haven't finished the postgame video yet; will probably finish it after work tomorrow. Few thoughts:

1) I think the fact that this game was very beginner friendly was possibly understated in the video (understandable since the call was entirely fairly experienced players). I really appreciated this, although I imagine it may have been easier to be a beginner in the mafia, as I had comrades to explain the more subtle details of what was going on. I can understand how beginning players who got put onto Rohirrim or Gondor could find the game very boring, since they wouldn't really know enough about the way smafia works.

2) I, too, thought this game would be lynchpin. This is kind of a side note, but are there any smafia games with lynchpins that I would be able to read through? Google reveals only "Pokemon Lynchpin Mafia" hosted by AG a while back, which I've read through and found very interesting. Lynchpin seems like an effective way to discourage the village leader system which seems to be the goal a lot of people are trying to achieve with their games so is there a reason there hasn't been a lynchpin mafia recently?

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Haven't finished the postgame video yet; will probably finish it after work tomorrow. Few thoughts:

1) I think the fact that this game was very beginner friendly was possibly understated in the video (understandable since the call was entirely fairly experienced players). I really appreciated this, although I imagine it may have been easier to be a beginner in the mafia, as I had comrades to explain the more subtle details of what was going on. I can understand how beginning players who got put onto Rohirrim or Gondor could find the game very boring, since they wouldn't really know enough about the way smafia works.

2) I, too, thought this game would be lynchpin. This is kind of a side note, but are there any smafia games with lynchpins that I would be able to read through? Google reveals only "Pokemon Lynchpin Mafia" hosted by AG a while back, which I've read through and found very interesting. Lynchpin seems like an effective way to discourage the village leader system which seems to be the goal a lot of people are trying to achieve with their games so is there a reason there hasn't been a lynchpin mafia recently?
I THINK the last lynchpin game was http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...auce-quagsires-ditto-win-postgame-up.3459821/ MAGs.

I enjoyed designing the game and hosting it despite Snype being Hood, and I have always sort of wished we had a few more lynchpin games, but not so many we burn out on them. However the winners of MAGs were very undeserved and ppl got a bit salty over it, so I think that combined with the general grumble-grumbles about lynchpins dissuades people from trying them. Whenever you bring up the concept someone always has a negative opinion about the format.

Maybe my next game will be a lynchpin, I wanted to do it for AQUA/ELECTRO but didn't know if there was enough support for the format. I think I will try again, but like Walrein said they are difficult to balance. You have to account for a lot of factors in how easy it is to find/get to the lynchpin and kill it, how strong the splitting faction gets upon becoming a mafia, does the village have a chance to win with presumably-3 nightkills, and do the mafia have a chance to win if they can't hit the lynchpin early with less than a nightly kill, etc. I think the best thing would be to do a no-neutral lynchpin since the excess kill/confusion detracts from the central lynchpin focus.

1:11:00 - time to settle this once and for all - priority is stupid and makes your game really unintuitive. I think von said it once: treat mafia like it's a puzzle game. If A hooks B and B hooks C, both B and C are hooked, but if B is hooked then the action that hooked C is retroactively gone, which means C isn't hooked. Keep it logical. If A and B hook eachother, it's a little bit of a paradox, so just arbitrarily decide they're both hooked.

Today I learned "bass" is pronounced "base". I probably count as a musician and I didn't fucking know that. Here it's pronounced "bass", at least.

Bass can be pronounced two different ways depending on if you're talking about music or fish.

I really have no idea why people thought this game would be lynchpin, it didn't really make sense in mechanics or flavor to me.

Also agreed, priority is dumb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)