Other XY OU Viability Ranking Thread (V3) (Rank changes are over until ORAS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
-> Unranked

Pros:
  • Access to Rapid Spin and
  • Entry hazards in Stealth Rock and both types of Spikes
  • Good typing
Cons:
  • Complete set up fodder, because it has almost 0 offensive presence
  • Very little defensive utility. It can switch in on some attackers, but then what?
  • Toxic Spikes does next to nothing in this metagame
  • Lack of reliable recovery
  • Has trouble keeping up hazards, because it cannot repeatedly set them throughout the match
  • It is outclassed by Stealth Rock + Defog Skarmory if it lacks Spikes (and that Skarmory isn't even good in the first place)

-> Unranked

Pros:
Cons:
  • Why are you not using Ferrothorn over the defensive set?
  • alexwolf mentioned Specs Empoleon being an option if you're having a problem with Clefable, but I honestly think you're just better off using Keldeo or Greninja and restructuring your team/having something else for Clefable

-> Unranked

Pros:
  • Has a good speed tier and access to Spikes
  • Is also a Ghost, so it self Spin blocks
  • A quick Taunt and Destiny Bond prevents it from becoming set up fodder and can even a KO on an attacker trying to kill it. It also out speeds and Taunts all Defog users bar Lati@s
Cons:
  • Very frail (and its typing makes it only more so)
  • You're sacrificing a mon for 1 or 2 layers of Spikes at best. I do not think this is worth the trade
  • It isn't difficult to play around Destiny Bond
  • It isn't capable of setting its hazards multiple times throughout the match. When they are gone, they are gone for good
  • It's a shame it shares the same speed tier as Lati@s, because you don't know how many times I've seen Froslass lose the speed tie and its hazards with it

I've weighed these mons' pros and cons and cannot see myself using them in a match I am playing to win.

Last edited:
I 100% agree to remain Forretress unranked. It may have some niches but it's setup fodder for everything and it has 0 offensive presence (Volt Switch doesn't even 2HKO Greninja), TLF already explained everything though.

As for Empoleon and Froslass they are for sure better mons but I don't know if they deserve the D rank. Even if Empoleon has a rly good typing, Stealth Rock, Defog and it can counter threats like Greninja. Froslass has fast Spikes, Destiny Bond (that isn't rly easy to play around as you can think, it forces ton of 50/50s and if you lose one of them you get one mon dead / 1 layer of Spikes so yeah) and Taunt. In summary, they can be D rank I guess. We will see what the other guy think abouy them though.

Last edited:

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Mons You Wanted Discussion On

Hawlucha is a bit tricky, but ultimately I think a rise would make sense. Is it as useable as Weavile, Gothitelle, and Lucario? I think so. Hawlucha, while weak, is lucky to have an ability that doubles its Speed fairly quickly, SD, and highpowered STAB moves. Its life is made hell by Thundurus, Talonflame, and Pinsir, but a +2 +2 Pokemon spamming HJK and Acrobatics is terrifying for offensive teams, and when behind a substitute, it beats stuff like skarmory relatively easily. This could stay where it, but I think it's been improving a lot lately, and is on par with Weavile. Omastar, however, I am absolutely certain about; it really needs to rise. It's absolutely terrifying in rain; anything that 2hkos Ferrothorn with a Water move is terrifying in my book. It checks Talonflame on rain teams even better than Kabutops, and obviously much better than Kingdra + Keldeo. It's the most powerful special attacker on rain teams, and I definitely think it's B or B- worthy. Next, Empoleon is definitely worth a ranking, at least. "Why are you not using Ferrothorn" is weird statement to make, considering Ferrothorn doesn't beat hp fire Greninja, which is very popular now, while empoleon does. Empoleon is also more specially bulky, so its defensive set can handle Omastar and Kingdra better. But finally... it has Defog. Being able to get rid of rocks is its main use over Ferrothorn and Heatran, and in tandem with countering water-types, and a specs set, it's definitely worth ranking. Now, I'm not sure if rising it is right. Like alexwolf says, ts offensive set counters CM Fable and CM Suicune, which is big for offense. It also checks Azumarill, Ninja, and Rain (even Kabu if it's using AJ > LK). But actually, comparing it to the C- mons is relatively easy. It's very similar to Toxicroak, another underused and underrated mon, because both check and counter a limited amount of mons based on their offensive and defensive virtues. Thanks to Empoleon's great typing and movepool that let it have two viable sets, and rise is warranted. It could also stay in D because of the existence traditionally better Pokemon like Heatran, Ferrothorn, Keldeo, and Greninja, but Empoleon combines their virtues and adds a bit of its own.

I actually think Goodra is fine in C. It has a niche AV set, and that's really it afaik. The reasons it's a relatively bad option are known; it's weak, has 4mss, and so is often thought to just sit there. It has terrible physical bulk, so nearly every physical attack, other than Breloom, can easily beat it one on one. This includes Keldeo, a special attacker it should be able to beat. Goodra has to be played very well in order to do well, otherwise it's generally a wasted teamslot. I guess it's mostly not being that familiar with it that I am against it rising, so any good post would probably convince me. Haxorus was always underrated in my eyes. With DD, it's totally outclassed, but with SD and mold breaker it's able to be a great wall breaker. I think C- would be a nice step up, and C is manageable for it. I'd personally rather use it than Goodra, so idrk. Jirachi is definitely worth C+, considering it has two really good and different sets: Scarf and Wish. Scarf is able to check Gardevoir and a bunch of other mons with its great coverage, and can support the team with Healing wish, While the SpD set counters Lati@s, Ninja, and Gardevoir, and can support the team with wish and status. It's underrated, and appreciates the loss of Aegi/Mawile and decrease in usage of bisharp.

ok thanks Jukain + Scrafty. I was relatively unfamiliar with Goodra, so I must've severely underrated it. Just look at their posts to see what goodra's niche is.

Doublade beats Gardevoir, Medicham, Pinsir, Terrakion, and Heracross on stall, which is very impressive. It has massive physical bulk, so much that it doesn't need to invest in any of it, and its defense is still as high as Deoxys-S' speed. With investment, its special bulk is acceptable, and it can use Rest viably with a HB user to cover its lack of recovery. It needs support (stuff to cover neutral/super effective special moves, Heal Bell, etc), but it worth C rank. Forretress should stay unranked imo. It's just really bad, and the loss of Aegi/Mawile hasn't changed how it's the definition of setup bait. Spike's are pretty bad in this metagame, so the only reason to use it is SR + RS, and i'd rather use Skarmory or Empoleon (Defog, ik, but still) for this. Skarm has Taunt, Whirlwind, and Roost all over Forretress, and Emp has offensive presence. Sure, Forretress has Volt-Switch, but Ground-types still laugh at it. Have fun with Forretress when Garchomp is using you for setup bait. Am I being too harsh? I'm not really sure, but I'm not convinced Ferrothorn has any real niche in OU. Sure, it can pivot, set sr, and take sr away, but it can't recover and can't stop setup, so I'd rather Skarm (or emp). Like I said, spikes aren't that great now, so I'm not certain why Froslass was nominated to move up. It is wicked fast, which i guess is cool, but if I wanted spikes, I'd have them as priority (Klefki). Froslass does have Taunt, DBond, and Cursed Body, so it isn't useless/worth unranking, but I find it hard to compare it to stuff like Venomoth.

I'm still supportive of Azelf becoming B-. It's a very good, albeit predictable, lead that can do any combination of set SR, use Taunt, kill Steel-types, explode, set Dual Screens, and set Rain Dance effectively. Obviously it can't do all of this, which is why it's only borderline B-/C+ instead of A, but it's still a good lead for HO teams, especially those that like Rain support. I know some people, like with MegaChomp, will come to support mega-toise to death, but I think regardless it's time for it to drop. Its main draw was as a combination of an offensive/defensive spinner that beat every ghost type. However, now Aegislash is good, so Starmie can and does shine. The main reason to use Blastoise - being a better spinner than Starmie, isn't legitimate anymore, and I think it's weird to see it ranked with decent but mediocre stuff like Togekiss and Sylveon, when Blastoise just isn't that good. Blastoise is pretty straightforward, so I don't think I'm missing any niches. But if I am, plz tell me. Rotom-H doesn't seem that good to me. I know some people like it, but I think the SR weakness, recent waterspam, and competition with Rotom-W push me away from using it. It's less reliable as a pinsir/talonflame check due to its sr weakness. That's about it. It only has two weaknesses, compared to Rotom-W's one, but unfortunately water and rock are more influential than Grass. Again, I may be missing something, but as a WoW electric-type pivot, I'd rather the SR-neutral washing machine nine times out of ten.

Volcarona has like no effect on the metagame now. A moveset of Fiery Dance, Giga Drain, and HP Ground covers a lot of stuff, so i don't really agree with the huge 4MSS argument. However, the AJet weakness, the Lati@s popularity, and getting worn down so fast (LO + SR) or being really weak (lefties) makes it unfortunately not worth using most of the time. I also don't agree with the competition argument, since it obviously has niches over other special fire-types. However, I'm not sure if it should be in the same rank as Togekiss, who's similarly mediocre, but has many viable sets with little competition + only taking 25% from SR, compared to Volcarona only having one or two sets + taking 50%. I think a drop is warranted. Smeargle similarly does nothing now outside of the gimmicky (sorry denis) Geomancy/Cotton Guard pass, but for that it should at least stay ranked. I kinda think D is the most appropriate rank for it, since shuckle is better for webs + sr, and everything else is better for BP unless you specifically need everything boosted except for attack.

Other Pokemon

I think Whimsicott's access to priority Memento, Tailwind, and Encore gives it a niche on offensive teams, since it really facilitates frail Pokemon setting up. It's commonly seen on trolly teams, but it can be used on serious teams to make frailer and slower mons like Diggersby and CM Gardevoir much scarier. Its supportive movepool is so good, and its stats are just enough to let it do what it needs to. People tend to underrate Memento, Tailwind, and Encore, but when used right, they're very threatening tools for an offensive team. Crawdaunt in my opinion should rise. It's frail and slow, which is really unattractive for a Pokemon, but its wallbreaking prowess is unprecedented. It's able to 2hko every Pokemon in the tier (not with the same moveset, but in general [and yes btw it 2hkos Azumarill, so if azu switches in on Crabhammer it loses as long as it's Adamant]), which makes it an absolute pain to switch into. It's thought to be bad v. offense, but its Aqua Jet is absolutely terrifying, especially after an SD. It's somewhat hard to use, but when used with proper support (bulky mons to take hits for it, venuwall, etc) it's a good mon. I definitely think it's as good as Conk, Weavile, and Lucario, although it is very different than them. Since nothing does what it does, it's hard to pinpoint exactly when it should go, but imo C+ is for good but mediocre mons like Toge and Sylveon, and Crawdaunt, due to its uniqueness + power, belongs in a tier above them. Aegislash is banned, Gengar uses Sludge Wave or Will-o-Wisp on every set it uses, Spikes are bad... I just can't see why Chesnaught is in the same rank as Weavile or Entei... or even Conk. It's just about as irrelevant as Volcarona, but at least Volcarona is unique. Chesnaught has a lot of immunities, but every mon that uses Shadow Ball or Focus Miss has some way to threaten it, from my experience. Again, I may be totally out of line here, but I just can't see what Chesnaught accomplishes that better bulky grasses can't do better.

Cresselia is a really cool Pokemon. It's bulk is absurd, and it lets it cover basically everything it wants to. The standard defensive set lets it act as stall's one true stop to CM Landorus, as well as totally not being useless outside of it, covering about every Pokemon that can't hit it super effectively. It also walls mega cham, which is useful for all types of teams. Psychic/Ice Beam lets it cover all it needs too, Moonlight lets it recover, and lets it handle Charizard-Y better, and Reflect helps it avoid Pursuit while, for a limited time, supporting its teammates. It also has a dual Screens set, which supports all types of teams, namely HO, especially with Lunar dance, and a Trick Room set that alone warrants D. I think its niches on stall teams, as well as smaller HO and TR niches definitely make it on par with Weavile and Ampharos and better than Lucario and Conkeldurr. Jellicent is an interesting stallbreaker than can counter keldeo, which is awesome. It appreciates aegi and mawile dying and bisharp's usage going down, and i think D is possible.

Question

Could someone explain the hype over Tentacruel? I don't understand why so suddenly it was approved for an analysis + given a D ranking. Thanks.

Ok thanks hey yal, Jukain, and alexwolf. It makes sense why tentacruel is viable now.

Last edited:
Question

Could someone explain the hype over Tentacruel? I don't understand why so suddenly it was approved for an analysis + given a D ranking. Thanks.
i think tentacruel got a d ranking for being able to check top tier threats like keldeo, azumarill, and clefable and having access to rapid spin so it got bumped up but idk. in fact i wwould even argue to move this thing up but i'll save that for another day.

Gonna second Omastar rising up. B+ is too high imo, B is more right or possibly B- cause Omastar is really more of a support for Kingdra than a stand-alone rain sweeper that's on par with Kingdra (it's too slow+no secondary STAB.)

If you're only going with one Swift Swimmer I would not go with Omastar. Kingdra and Kabutops are better as stand-alone swift swimmers, with Kabutops being the best due to a better secondary STAB (Dragon Pulse is weak-ass shit and Draco Meteor forces switch) as well as Low Kick for Ferrothorn and a boosting move. I don't feel like looking it up but I think Ancient Power is Omastar's only special rock move lol, also it's outsped by most scarfers.

However, imo if you're going with two swimmers (I usually don't, but it's legit) King+Omastar is more effective than King+Kabutops. You don't really need Kabu's speed when you already have Kingdra, and Omastar's bulk is very nice compared to Kabutops' (Kabu risks 2HKO from Talonflame's CB Brave Bird if it tries to switch in; Omastar is only 3HKOed) And of course, Omastar is beyond powerful, and paired with Kingdra, very few teams can handle both of them spamming Specs Hydro Pump in rain, unless they have a water immune and there's like one or two good ones that aren't even that good? Answers to Kingdra (AV Azumarill, Ferrothorn, Chansey) are not answers to Omastar, due to Knock Off (removes AV, now Omastar AND Kingdra can 2HKO itemless Chansey and Azumarill,) Scald (lol,) and just how absurdly powerful it is (Ferro is 2HKOed like Jesus what the shit) and the simple fact that Specs Hydro in Rain hits extremely hard, even on things as bulky+resistant as AV Azumarill (AV Azu dies to 3x Hydro Pumps from either of Oma or King, so if it switches in to one of them and beats them, it can't handle the next one.)

Asides from Water Absorb/Storm Drain pokes, there's really nothing that is able to take more than a couple Specs Hydro in Rains, especially without an item. Omastar is really, REALLY good at destroying anything that could stand in the way of the faster and weaker Kingdra (or just destroying teams on its own because lol,) and imo it has more than enough to warrant usage over Kabutops and is really one of the best rain sweepers AND wallbreakers.

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
emp and lass are fine. emp has a sick defensive typing for certain stuff eg ninja latis azu as well as access to great supporting options like sr and defog. lass can get up spikes and has a fast taunt to stop other leads and srers. it creates a lot of 50/50 scenarios with dbond where if you guess 1 wrong you're dealing with a layer or more of spikes and possibly even a dead pokemon. niche as fuck and definitely have flaws but i can reasonably see them ranked.

i definitely think goodra should move up, c is an embarrassment to it and its capabilities. it a great answer to electrics, charizard y, breloom, offensive tran, lo gar, and can even check stuff like greninja (lol ice beam barely even does half) and latis (in a pinch). its offensive set of draco meteor / sludge bomb / fire blast / muddy water (what 4mss???) has excellent coverage that threatens a lot of opponents from coming in as well. it's more viable than stuff like mega absol and hydreigon and rotom-h and mega aggron and mega blastoise lurking in c+ rank, should at the least be there if not even in b+. severely undervalued pokemon that gets a lot of unwarranted hate.

agree with moving hawlucha up. flying + fighting coverage is insane as we've seen with mega pinsir, and hawlucha has stab on both as well as unburden so it doesn't really have to worry so much about revenge kills. powerful pokemon for sure that catch many people by surprise and do lots of damage with its swords dance-boosted attacks. also agree with moving rachi up. i recently made a stall team with the combo of slowbro + toxic rachi + toxic landt to handle all three of the problem megas and rachi performed nicely. it handles a unique array of threats those being gard to which it is probably the best defensive answer, greninja, latis, and clefable, all very relevant threats. it has good support for the team and recovery with wish (+ protect), and can even run stuff like stealth rock or healing wish for the team if needed. toxic is cool af to cripple grounds and elecs that love to come in on rachi. offensive sets can also be good, whether using it as a sr setter lure with its excellent coverage or flinch user scarf for a nice fast hw, u-turn, and general utility of revenge killing/checking various threats. there is also trash can garbage like subtoxic iron head fire punch that is extraordinarily good at making your opponents want to commit suicide.

haxorus is basically a niche dd mon that happens to body azumarill for certain dragmag teams. it can sometimes work on other teams but that's basically what its niche is. whether that's enough to move it up...bleh. c- or c isn't unreasonable, leaning toward c-. oma feels out of place any higher than c+. it's only useful on rain teams and is far from a premier rain abuser. i mean it's fine and powerful as fuck but 90% of the time it's better to just use kabutops which it competes with for a teamslot. forretress is garbage str8 from the trash can, passive as fuck spinner that does nothing? lol.

tentacruel is viable because spin + keldeo check + azumarill check + clefable counter (with acid spray a set innovated by ctc), pretty much, Aragorn the King

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Aragorn the King said:
With Aegislash gone spinning is now much easier, making Tentacruel viable again. Plus it checks all that stuff the guys above me said.
alexwolf can you please explain why Megachomp moved down? There wasn't a lot of discussion on it bar a few posts, and it was about even for both sides.
Because Mega Garchomp isn't on par with the other Pokemon there. There are better wallbreakers to use that don't eat up your Mega slot and don't need sand to wallbreak.
jukain said:
emp and lass are fine. emp has a sick defensive typing for certain stuff eg ninja latis azu as well as access to great supporting options like sr and defog. lass can get up spikes and has a fast taunt to stop other leads and srers. it creates a lot of 50/50 scenarios with dbond where if you guess 1 wrong you're dealing with a layer or more of spikes and possibly even a dead pokemon. niche as fuck and definitely have flaws but i can reasonably see them ranked.
They are already ranked, we are discussing whether or not to move them up to C-.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
Agree
i definitely think goodra should move up, c is an embarrassment to it and its capabilities. it a great answer to electrics, charizard y, breloom, offensive tran, lo gar, and can even check stuff like greninja (lol ice beam barely even does half) and latis (in a pinch). its offensive set of draco meteor / sludge bomb / fire blast / muddy water (what 4mss???) has excellent coverage that threatens a lot of opponents from coming in as well.
Ok I guess that's fair. I guess I was way too harsh on it, mainly because no one uses it anymore.
it's more viable than stuff like mega absol and hydreigon and rotom-h and mega aggron and mega blastoise lurking in c+ rank, should at the least be there if not even in b+. severely undervalued pokemon that gets a lot of unwarranted hate.
Well half of those imo should move down anyway, but if you think it's better than Aggron and Absol (who belong in C+, not C) then that's fine. I think B- is totally a stretch, but C+ is guess is ok for goodra, since it does take every special attack in ou.
agree with moving hawlucha up. flying + fighting coverage is insane as we've seen with mega pinsir, and hawlucha has stab on both as well as unburden so it doesn't really have to worry so much about revenge kills. powerful pokemon for sure that catch many people by surprise and do lots of damage with its swords dance-boosted attacks.
Agreed
also agree with moving rachi up. i recently made a stall team with the combo of slowbro + toxic rachi + toxic landt to handle all three of the problem megas and rachi performed nicely. it handles a unique array of threats those being gard to which it is probably the best defensive answer, greninja, latis, and clefable, all very relevant threats. it has good support for the team and recovery with wish (+ protect), and can even run stuff like stealth rock or healing wish for the team if needed. toxic is cool af to cripple grounds and elecs that love to come in on rachi. offensive sets can also be good, whether using it as a sr setter lure with its excellent coverage or flinch user scarf for a nice fast hw, u-turn, and general utility of revenge killing/checking various threats. there is also trash can garbage like subtoxic iron head fire punch that is extraordinarily good at making your opponents want to commit suicide.
Agreed
haxorus is basically a niche dd mon that happens to body azumarill for certain dragmag teams. it can sometimes work on other teams but that's basically what its niche is. whether that's enough to move it up...bleh. c- or c isn't unreasonable, leaning toward c-.
Last I checked, its SD set is why it was nominated to move up. I could be wrong though. As long as you agree to its promotion it doesn't really matter, but I'm just curious to what you think about that set in particular.
oma feels out of place any higher than c+. it's only useful on rain teams and is far from a premier rain abuser. i mean it's fine and powerful as fuck but 90% of the time it's better to just use kabutops which it competes with for a teamslot.
Omastar is special and kabu is physical, so unless the typing stops you from using both, they don't compete that much. Omastar mainly competes with Kingdra as a special rain abuser, and I think its perks over it (Talonflame check, more powerful), in tandem with its cons (much slower, no secondary stab), warrant it be put one tier below it in b-.
forretress is garbage str8 from the trash can, passive as fuck spinner that does nothing? lol.
Totally agree
tentacruel is viable because spin + keldeo check + azumarill check + clefable counter (with acid spray a set innovated by ctc), pretty much, Aragorn the King
i think tentacruel got a d ranking for being able to check top tier threats like keldeo, azumarill, and clefable and having access to rapid spin so it got bumped up but idk
With Aegislash gone spinning is now much easier, making Tentacruel viable again. Plus it checks all that stuff the guys above me said.
Thanks. Of course ctc randomly innovated a new viable set for a previously 100% trash mon.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
meh there are plenty of things to nuke and fuck up teams, imo the niche of haxorus is as a strong-ass non-mega dder for dragspam, that fucks up fairies nicely with pjab. you can even run double dance + mag, i just wouldn't forgo the sweeping potential from dd.

oma competes with kabutops directly because they share the same typing and you don't usually use just kingdra, kingdra is usually an addendum to tops. you'll never use tops + omastar is the point i'm trying to get across. they definitely compete for a teamslot in that regard, using omastar means you aren't using kabutops, which is a significant cost. omastar is good but i think two subranks below kingdra, which is a more prominent and /overall/ viable swift swimmer, makes sense.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Could Magneton be considered for a rank? All you really lose out on when using Scarf Magneton over Scarf Magnezone is bulk (which isn't all that important, since when you're not trapping stuff you're usually spamming volt switch) and power (which does make it trickier to dispose of Ferrothorn, but you usually beat it anyway unless it gets a silly amount of protects in a row). In return, you gain ability to outspeed Greninja, Jolly Talonflame, +1 MGyara and Starmie. Scarf Ton also outspeeds some more minor stuff such as Raikou and Weavile, but the 4 Pokemon I mentioned in the first place are relevant enough for me to honestly prefer Scarf Magneton to Scarf Magnezone. Obviously Magnezone pulls off the Specs and Magnet Rise sets much better, but Magneton is just as good, if not better a scarfer than Magnezone, and I therefore feel it should be ranked, probably C- for now.

Last edited:
Aegislash is banned, Gengar uses Sludge Wave or Will-o-Wisp on every set it uses, Spikes are bad... I just can't see why Chesnaught is in the same rank as Weavile or Entei... or even Conk. It's just about as irrelevant as Volcarona, but at least Volcarona is unique. Chesnaught has a lot of immunities, but every mon that uses Shadow Ball or Focus Miss has some way to threaten it, from my experience. Again, I may be totally out of line here, but I just can't see what Chesnaught accomplishes that better bulky grasses can't do better.
because it walls and beats excadrill, mega gyarados, lando t, terrakion, bisharp, sludge wave less gengar, mega scizor, tyranitar, mega tyranitar, breloom and choice scarf diggersby. And that is just out of the a ranks.

and spikes aren't bad. deoxys balk wasn't banned because it could set up stealth rocks real good, it was banned because it could set up stealth rocks and a bunch of spikes real good.

i disagree with the notion that kabutops and omastar are mutually exclusive pokemon on a rain team, while they do have the same typing and thus offer no defensive synergy, when in rain and benefited by swift swim the only things that their typing would actually be a bother against is if their both weakened and against something like a breloom or a conkeldurr. i dont see the issue with two pokemon that already have the advantage of resisting some priority like talonflame's brave bird and diggersby's quick attack, yet offer completely different offensive niches, what with one being a physical attacker and one being a special one, not to mention specs omastar can effectively function as a wallbreaker and kabutops as a sweeper in terms of behaviour; if omastar comes in on a skarmory and force is out, someting takes hydro pump unless you want to sac skarmory and give kabutops a field day. i've seen several omastar + kabutops rain teams so i dont think that should be discouraging it from moving up, and since it hits like a complete truck with specs and recently the lo smash + rain set became a bit more popular which 2hkoes chansey of all things with hydro pump while also being insanely fast. i think b- is a good decision.

regarding haxorus, i disagree with jukain in that it's a "niche dd user that happens to bone azumarill" considering dd haxorus is mostly outclassed barring the azumarill thing, and by no means is haxorus's best set. the swords dance set is an immensely underrated wallbreaker which lacks effectivenss vs offensive teams, but works wonders vs defensive ones, especially balances. mold breaker is huge as it allows haxorus to steamroll past quagsire and even clefable with poison jab. outrage / superpower / poison jab has great coverage and think what defensive team isn't destroyed by one of these at +2. it also makes a great partner to things like mega tyranitar or gyarados since it demolishes ferrothorn / quagsire / other defensive answers to the megas with +2 outrage / superpower / whatever relevant move. there's this misconception that it's only seen on dragmag teamns, which i believe is false, regardless of whether it's often seen on them. i was going to propose a rank rise for it last time as well. definitely a move up to c rank imo.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
because it walls and beats excadrill, mega gyarados, lando t, terrakion, bisharp, sludge wave less gengar, mega scizor, tyranitar, mega tyranitar, breloom and choice scarf diggersby. And that is just out of the a ranks.

and spikes aren't bad. deoxys balk wasn't banned because it could set up stealth rocks real good, it was banned because it could set up stealth rocks and a bunch of spikes real good.
The problem is a) it can't wall all of those with one set and 2) Gengar always has something to threaten it. I perhaps am underrating it, but why is it that much better than Mega Venusaur or even Gourgeist-S? I'm not being annoying or w/e, I actually don't know its niche now. And btw Spikes were good in a Deoxys metagame, but the metagame has changed. There's a reason SR setters are on every team, while serious spikes setters on HO teams are extremely uncommon (klefki). Spikes offense just isn't dominant now. I'm pretty sure spikes defense isn't great now either, with Ferro and Skarm much preferring other moves.

edit: i guess it handles Kabu + sand well, although they hurt synthesis' recovery. Am I just being stupid; does it even run synthesis anymore? If it doesn't, that'd be ironic considering i've been talking about the development of the meta and idek about how chesnuaght has adapted. Anyways I'll drop chesnauaght to talk about more important stuff.
Could Magneton be considered for a rank? All you really lose out on when using Scarf Magneton over Scarf Magnezone is bulk (which isn't all that important, since when you're not trapping stuff you're usually spamming volt switch) and power (which does make it trickier to dispose of Ferrothorn, but you usually beat it anyway unless it gets a silly amount of protects in a row). In return, you gain ability to outspeed Greninja, Jolly Talonflame, +1 MGyara and Starmie. Scarf Ton also outspeeds some more minor stuff such as Raikou and Weavile, but the 4 Pokemon I mentioned in the first place are relevant enough for me to honestly prefer Scarf Magneton to Scarf Magnezone. Obviously Magnezone pulls off the Specs and Magnet Rise sets much better, but Magneton is just as good, if not better a scarfer than Magnezone, and I therefore feel it should be ranked, probably C- for now.
I've always wanted Magnezone to be faster for its Scarf set. I've never really considered using its litter brother, but I guess it may be worth it. It's slightly weaker, but it can outspeed so much more stuff. I think D rank could work, but I'd need to test it a bit to be sure.

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
TRC sd haxorus is pure ass vs offense, it does do good vs defensive teams, but we have plenty of wallbreakers that aren't that matchup reliant. not using dd forfeits its ability to do anything vs offense. double dance with pjab + mag is perfectly viable but i definitely wouldn't use sd on its own so i can play 5v6 in some matches.

i don't have /that/ much experience with omastar, i guess b- is fair based on what everyone's saying.

anyways the real point of this post, i definitely think chesnaught deserves its rank. initially i thought it was garbage, but after my own testing and vs tesung using it i've found it actually pretty good. chesnaught is a good answer to the likes of excadrill, mega gyarados, mega ttar, landt, bisharp, terrakion (check), breloom, and some other stuff including kabutops which is hard to counter. it can lay spikes which can provide a unique form of pressure on opposing teams for defensive teams and combined with leech seed wear at them very quickly. it's an oddball pokemon but does its job pretty well, especially vs nasty sand offense teams.

Jukain I'd rather have a wallbreaker that's great vs stall and pairs nicely with my sweeper of choice than one that's less effective vs both playstyles. There's a post by boudouche about Haxorus in here somewhere, I don't know if he wants to give his opinion or not but tagging him just in case.

TFL Froslass is plenty viable, i recently built a team with it (not that that proves anything) but the team has performed very well against quality players and the ability to stop its hazards from being removed (barring a speed tie with latis) makes it very useful, as well as the ability to get up 3 layers or even a kill with the mind games with taunt dbond. Very niche but can be successful
Also since we are talking about chesnught spikes are still good, probably better than before, just worse setters. Chesnaught is pretty solid at checking physical offense spam too, especially with mawile gone

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey just want to pop in and say that I agree with moving Goodra up, speaking as someone who uses Goodra a lot, I can definitely attest to how effective it is. It has incredible special bulk, and topped with a lovely Dragon-typing, this thing is a really nice special tank that can take on a lot of OU's top special attackers, such as Thundurus, Landorus, Mega Charizard-Y, Gengar, Greninja, and the like. Its AV set is a very good special tank, and with its wide offensive movepool (backed by good, albeit not great offensive stats), Goodra can definitely pack a punch in return. This also means Goodra is rather hard to switch into. The "weak and passive" criticism against it has always been rather exaggerated: yeah, Goodra isn't a wallbreaker, and it's no Latios or Garchomp in the power department, but it's most certainly not sitting there and does pretty decent damage when needed. Goodra is actually a very neat special tank, being able to take on some of OU's top special attackers and pack a good offensive presence. (PS: Goodra+Alomomola is pretty fun). I guess not being able to heal itself kinda sucks, but it's definitely better than C Rank, it has a relatively definitive niche in the tier and isn't really outclassed.

Haxorus is kind of cool. Mold Breaker is a nice ability and Haxorus hits super hard and has nice coverage. As said, it basically crushes stall in every circumstance and it's also nice as a teammate for a few Mega sweepers to break down their counters. It's still a rather niche Pokemon, but it's better than D imo. It does have a rather solid niche, unlike Salamence, let alone the rest of D Rank, so it should move up imo, maybe one notch or two.

Doublade has a pretty cool typing, and it walls a lot of common mons quite effectively. Has an okay offensive presence too, so I guess C isn't unreasonable.

Chesnaught should stay in B-, it has a nice typing defensively, handles a lot of common mons, and has a good support movepool. Either way, I agree with Jukain on that matter.

Just a few thoughts.

Not sure if this is the time but since we're done with that last batch I thought I'd bring up Mega Aggron to B-/B again, due to the fact that it's the best pHazer in the game as well as a great phys wall with near perfect synergy in DFS cores. I wrote a long-ass post on page 2 if you want to see a more detailed explanation

Hawlucha: C+ ---> B-

This mon can really tear your team apart if you let it set-up...but fortunately for us, it's pretty hard to set-up and can be walled by things like stakkmew pretty easily

Empoleon: D ---> C-

Well, C- is bad in itself, D is really the "Charizard in BW Uber" kind of rank, like ranking a mon who is sometimes played but is actually not worth at all. His typing / SR / Defog and maybe his SDefiant set could be pretty nice, Boudouche tested it a bit and it wasn't that bad iirc. C- is clearly worth it for him

Goodra: C ---> C+

Great check to a lot of special stuff like Zard-Y, would be A+ with regeneration lmao, gooey is actually a pretty good ability and C+ is not a really great rank

Haxorus: D ---> C / C-

Poison jab / Outrage / Superpower is not that bad, the D rank comment is the same as Empoleon's.

Doublade: C- ---> C

Bulky as hell, actually not a set-up fodder with toxic / strong stabs and attack stat and still pretty bulky even after being knocked off, great check to heracross / medicham and can still tank gardevoir pretty well iirc (you can try spD spread with his already high def and the eviolite boost)

Forretress: Unranked ---> D

I don't really see the point of playing this mon, a spinner who'll lose to ferrothorn, not threatening at all, volt switch is nice but yeah...it's really not good and nobody's playing it so there is no point of using the "hype-killer D rank" for it, we don't really need to add useless mon in the D rank unless there is an explanation or some out-of-nowhere hype to stop (hype already stopped by threads like "don't use that, use this" and stuff..)

Volcarona: C+ ---> C

If you can deal with ZardX with like scarfterrakion / garchomp, you can check volcarona pretty darn well too. Also the priorities are really hurting him (hello talonflame / pinsir) , i don't see the point of playing it tbh.

I would like to nominate Dragonite for A+ because of its sheer unpredictability, which it can use with its very diverse movepool to eliminate many pokemon that switch in to it. It can use Thunder Punch (or Thunderbolt depending on its set) to beat Azumarill, Gyarados-Mega, Togekiss, and Skarmory. It can also take hits very well due to Multiscale, making it extremely hard to OHKO without Stealth Rock. Access to Roost lets it temporarily have only a 2x weakness to Ice, and allows it to take hits after its Multiscale is broken! These calcs explain how strong Dragonite is.
252 Attack Life Orb Mamoswine Icicle Crash Vs 0 HP 252 Defence Multiscale Dragonite: 268-320 (82.9-99%) Guarenteed 2HKO. Just out of reach.
+2 (weakness policy) 252 Attack Dragonite Waterfall Vs 0 HP 0 Defence Mamoswine: 430-506 (119.7-140.9%) Guarenteed OHKO.
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Ice Beam vs 0HP 252 SpD Careful Dragonite: 270-320 (83.5-99%) Guarenteed 2HKO. Not even greninja can do it!
+2 252 Attack Dragonite Dragon Claw vs 4HP 0Def Greninja: 372-438 (130-153.1%) Guarenteed OHKO.
Not even Modest+Choice Specs Greninja succeeds against max HP max SpD Dragonite!
252 SpA Choice Specs Modest Greninja Ice Beam vs 252 HP 252 SpD Careful Dragonite: 296-350 (76.6-90.6%) Guarenteed 2HKO.

Skarmory can be Taunted.
So can Mega Aggron, plus aggron is slower so skarmory can atleast outspeed some taunters (don't know why anyone would use a slow taunter lol), plus skarmory has access to reliable recovery whereas mega aggron doesn't, he also takes up a mega spot with would rather go charizard, venusaur etc and skarmory has better defensive typing with 2 immunities over Aggrons 1 and one of the immunity is ground which earthquake is a very common move, skarmory also has 1 less weakness because of the flying type and can hold leftovers something mega aggron wishes he had, plus offensively steel is a crappy stab, while flying stab is great in the current meta.

So mega aggron can be worn down while skarmory can't because of roost, plus mega aggron misses recoiless stab head smash

Goodra: C ---> C+
Pretty much stating the obvious at this point, but yes, Goodra is a nice, underrated mon who can answer a lot of threats. Sap sipper is a nice ability if you want to switch into spores, leech seeds and the like. I think some people here are overselling it a bit though, gooey dosen't synergize well with its special bulk, and it's a lot better with wish support, but often the mons that give that are fighting for teamslots. Idk what it's like on rain teams, anyone wanna comment more on that?

Volcarona: C+ ---> C
A setup sweeper that's effortlessly revenged by Talonflame and Azumarill. Besides it has terrible 4mss and no matter what moves you pick out of QD + Bug Buzz, Fiery Dance, Giga Drain, HP Ground, HP Ice or HP Rock you get walled by a bunch of things. Also you want Roost since you're 4x weak to SR. Also you really need LO since with lefties you don't have the power for a lot of vital KO's, like TTar at +1. It was bad before the Aegi/Mawilite ban but it's possibly even worse now since it could destroy those mons as well. I've said all of this before in detail ages ago on this thread but it was ignored, so w/e maybe it'll finally get moved?

Rotom-H: C+ ---> ??
I used Rotom-H a lot pre Aegi/Mawilite ban, but I haven't played much since. Since it handled those mons better than Rotom-W and they're gone, I guess I can see why it would get moved down? Thing is, it handles a lot of mons that have risen in prominence lately better than Rotom-W, like Heracross, Ferrothorn and Gardevoir, and the stalwart Char-Y. I'd want to play a bit more before forming an opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)