ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but GameFreak got the rights to the title "Delta Emerald". It's been pretty annoying how some people I know have been hyping up an Emerald remake, because I'm pretty sure GameFreak has done the same thing in the past and the games never got worked on.
Hasn't that been known for a while? I remember talking on another forum about Rayquaza's relation to the letter delta because of this. I suppose they do this just incase they decide to make a game with that title (afterall, ORAS is missing a lot of stuff that was in Emerald...). However if they never do anything with the name they may let the trademark expire, it's just right now they want to reserve the name just incase.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but GameFreak got the rights to the title "Delta Emerald". It's been pretty annoying how some people I know have been hyping up an Emerald remake, because I'm pretty sure GameFreak has done the same thing in the past and the games never got worked on.
Well, to be fair, the fact that they've registered the name "Delta Emerald" is an indication that they have at least thought of it, whether they actually plan to remake Emerald or not. And yes, they had registered the titles "Water Blue" and "Grey", but the argument that they've registered these names, but haven't released on them holds very little sway on what they will actually do. If it did, if that kind of history was that important to them, then ORAS would have been released in Gen V, we'd be anticipating the Sinnoh remakes release, and Grey actually would have been the title that they worked on and released, rather than BW2.

I do understand your annoyance at the claim that GF getting the rights to "Delta Emerald" automatically means Hoenn 2.5 is a thing, I find it annoying myself. Until the official announcement of Gen VII, however, there's still a slightly greater chance that DE will be real, than the chance if it not being so.

I think registering the trademark "Delta Emerald" is more to protect their copyrights than anything, iirc. Same with Water Blue and Grey.
Anyway, more discussion on stuff that's actually real plz.

I myself am wondering about the battle tower and what they intend to do with that. I mean, even if the frontier isn't back (and I hope it is), they still at the very least need to live up to X/Y with the five challenges it had (which were fun, TBH).

Just listened to the OST. It seems...cheerful. I guess it matches the new designs.

One thing I don't like is what they did to Magma/Aqua. I get that it's the new G rated standard, but along with the new soundtrack, it's going to feel like I'm facing a bunch of clowns instead of 2 syndicates.

Just listened to the OST. It seems...cheerful. I guess it matches the new designs.

One thing I don't like is what they did to Magma/Aqua. I get that it's the new G rated standard, but along with the new soundtrack, it's going to feel like I'm facing a bunch of clowns instead of 2 syndicates.

Pictured: Professional Syndicate Criminals, striking fear into the hearts of anyone without eyes

They were already silly-looking (Compared to Team Rocket) when they were released. Ok, they look sillier now, but they weren't serious-looking eco-terrorist guys...

I think the point was to make them a bit more tangible as people by beefing up the look and personality factors. Maxie looks a bit more like he had a profession in architecture or urban planning before founding Team Magma, and Archie looks a bit more scalliwag-like. He and his admins look more like a Japanese dramatization of the villains in the next Pirates of the Caribbean flick than they used to

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
While I can't take Team Aqua that seriously (they're dressed like pirates, and I don't mean real pirates I mean water themepark pirates), I could sort of take Team Magma a bit seriously as at least you could possibly say their uniforms could have provided some heat resistance (and yes, I know the girl has he legs and arms bare, I id say some heat resistance).

Though I do think that the redesigns of their personalities does help explain the uniforms. Team Magma are stern and calculative, they dress as they do because it's the most efficient to accomplish their tasks as it possible provides some use like heat protection. Team Aqua are very emotionally driven, they dress the way they do because they LOVE the sea and want to represent it the best that they could even if they dress up like Saturday Morning Cartoon (R.I.P.) villains.

Uh, the new Tabitha is less "stern and calculative" and more "pompous git."

Seriously, Team Magma and Aqua have always been on the Captain Planet side of kooky eco-terrorists. The redesigns more reinforced this rather than toned it down.

Whil I agree that the two teams are a lot less menacing mostly, Maxie actually scares me a little. He looks so... cold and calculating, like he's just analyzing your behavior like some guinea pig.

On that note, Courtney kind of scares me as well.
Maybe that's just because her description and screenshot of her face seem to imply yandere tendencies but on the other hand yandere tendencies
I so hope that Game Freak makes her a yandere. That would make me happy.

Uh, the new Tabitha is less "stern and calculative" and more "pompous git."

Seriously, Team Magma and Aqua have always been on the Captain Planet side of kooky eco-terrorists. The redesigns more reinforced this rather than toned it down.
They were crazy, and had no qualms with killing at least millions as a side effect of expanding more land/sea. Archie was was manipulating public opinion and especially Maxie, who tried to cause a natural disaster by making Mt. Chimney erupt, and even tried to make the player "disappear" when raising Groudon.

The former was generally implied, especially during the Groudon/Kyogre fight. You don't just expand land/sea without massive consequences. At the very least if they were to succeed Maxie/Archie would have control over the world since no one outside of the transcendent pokemon are standing against the Weather Trio.

The latter happen in Slateport I believe.

The former was generally implied, especially during the Groudon/Kyogre fight. You don't just expand land/sea without massive consequences. At the very least if they were to succeed Maxie/Archie would have control over the world since no one outside of the transcendent pokemon are standing against the Weather Trio.

The latter happen in Slateport I believe.
Then why is this subverted in ORAS? Their attitudes might change a little but their goals and actions certainly won't.

I don't remember that happening in Slateport at all. He literally just came in, said he was the leader of Team Aqua and that he loved the sea and wanted to expand it.

I just viewed Maxie as a ruthless bastard who would stop at almost nothing to accomplish this goals. The redesign kinda took away from that a bit, at least for me. But if his actions and goals stay the same, it's fine.

I thought Archie, who controls the media, used the Captain Stern interview as a distraction to steal his ship. Also I doubt that they'd let Team Aqua inside the museum the way they did if they were known as a criminal organization, there would have been some resistance.

I thought Archie, who controls the media, used the Captain Stern interview as a distraction to steal his ship. Also I doubt that they'd let Team Aqua inside the museum the way they did if they were known as a criminal organization, there would have been some resistance.
You're thinking about Adventures/Pokéspe. Archie never controlled the media in the games at all.

No one had any idea what Aqua and Magma were up to until after Groudon is released (In Emerald. Change Groudon to the cover legendary if Ruby/Sapphire). Other than the victim(s) in any of their actions prior to that (And the player), barely anyone bothered with them...

You're thinking about Adventures/Pokéspe. Archie never controlled the media in the games at all.
Could have sworn he did. That interview seemed so convenient, when Archie absolutely needed Stern's ship.

No one had any idea what Aqua and Magma were up to until after Groudon is released (In Emerald. Change Groudon to the cover legendary if Ruby/Sapphire). Other than the victim(s) in any of their actions prior to that (And the player), barely anyone bothered with them...
I doubt Team Aqua could have an HQ in Lilycove City, Home of Pokemon Contests, and no one knew who they were. Everyone in Lilycove City knew who they were.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be frank, I don't feel like the team redesigns weaken Team Aqua and Magma much at all. In fact, I would argue that they're one of the strongest evil teams from a character design perspective since Gen V. Team Aqua/Magma doesn't have a serious admin overload like Team Flare and Team Plasma did (yeah, you didn't fight all the Team Plasma admins, but Shadow Triad + Seven Sages + Ghetsis + N is quite a lot), and legitimate, though simple, personalities were given to all the admins (unlike Team Flare, whose female admins were barely differentiated at all). Really, the only major thing I can see wrong with them are Archie and Matt's over-the-top designs and Tabitha's general weirdness.

In the original RSE, the admins' entire personality was summed up by their laughs. Tabitha and Matt said "Hehehehehe" in all of their lines, and Courtney and Shelly said "Ahahahahaha" in all of their lines. Almost anything is better than that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)