Gen 6 Mega Rayquaza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Level 56

Faded memories
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 6th Grand Slam Winner
Its pretty much useless to discuss how to check ray because ray has no counters/checks for now and I don't think there will be any. As far as I'm concerned there is going to be no enjoyment if ray stays, it needs to get banned because if it stays, there is no point in playing ubers. I'm not a fan of watching things get banned from ubers but ray is just too much and ray is the reason why we can't use mega evolutions like metagross etc because we are forced to run a ray of our own.

The most reliable check I have found so far is Choice band Scizor. It removes around half the health of Ray using bullet punch and it can resist E-speed (and most Ray variants don't use V-create anymore). If the opponent has used dragon ascent once then it becomes roughly a OHKO after rocks (I make sure rocks are always up when I face Ray). I can't give calcs yet as the calculator is still down. That combined with E-speed Arceus is usually enough to take down every variant of Mega Ray, so while its really strong my team has been able to handle it so far. Giratina is also a good option using dragon tail to force it out and rack up more stealth rock damage.

While there are no solid checks its lack of recovery really hurts it long term and its quite easy to wear down, especially if it starts to abuse dragon ascent.

The most reliable check I have found so far is Choice band Scizor. It removes around half the health of Ray using bullet punch and it can resist E-speed (and most Ray variants don't use V-create anymore). If the opponent has used dragon ascent once then it becomes roughly a OHKO after rocks (I make sure rocks are always up when I face Ray). I can't give calcs yet as the calculator is still down. That combined with E-speed Arceus is usually enough to take down every variant of Mega Ray, so while its really strong my team has been able to handle it so far. Giratina is also a good option using dragon tail to force it out and rack up more stealth rock damage.

While there are no solid checks its lack of recovery really hurts it long term and its quite easy to wear down, especially if it starts to abuse dragon ascent.
Here are the calcs:

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega-Rayquaza: 160-190 (45.5 - 54.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. -1 0 HP / 4 Def Mega-Rayquaza: 241-285 (68.6 - 81.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (guaranteed after Life Orb recoil)

And just for laughs.

252+ Atk Life Orb Mega-Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 359-422 (104.6 - 123%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Level 56

Faded memories

Choice band scizor is not a relaible check because of many reasons. Like its very easy to predict banded scizor and your opponent can just switch into something that resists scizor moves (primal don) for example and its not easy for the mon that has to switch in vs primal don as it can run very dangerous sets like the SD + T-wave one. Banded scizor is just not that good in this meta, it maybe useful in some situations but it relies on fairly large amount of team support to function.

And mega-aerodactyl isn't a check simply because rayquaza main stab dragon is outrage that can be ohko if i send him‏
Mega Ray's main STAB is Dragon Ascent since it's forced to run it on every set. Dragon has redundant coverage with Flying so you won't see that often. As shaky as it may be, Mega Aero is the best defensive check to Mega Ray.

Its pretty much useless to discuss how to check ray because ray has no counters/checks for now and I don't think there will be any. As far as I'm concerned there is going to be no enjoyment if ray stays, it needs to get banned because if it stays, there is no point in playing ubers. I'm not a fan of watching things get banned from ubers but ray is just too much and ray is the reason why we can't use mega evolutions like metagross etc because we are forced to run a ray of our own.
This is the toxic thought I feared what comes from the Uber suspect thread. We had Gen 1 Mewtwo Uber ffs, Gen 3 Deoxys A(no idea if that's true), Arceus in Gen4/5(?)

I mean it isn't even uncompetitive. If it is on every team, so be it. That is the beauty of Ubers.

We've had uncounterable pokemon in the past, and actually recently; Ho-Oh was literally uncounterable in XY - it only had checks, such as Arceus-Rock, but even it fell to Sacred Fire burns+Banded Earthquakes. Mega-Rayquaza is in the same predicament as XY Ho-Oh, and I never heard bitching about Ho-Oh so why are we doing so about Mega-Rayquaza? We get it by now, this mon is obviously uncounterable since it scrambles its checks depending on the set it runs, so imo we shouldn't even try to check it besides running the obligatory E-Killer that's on every team. The only way to stop this mon is to set-up your own first.
Don't think the comparison is fair. The main difference is that even though XY Ho Oh is really good, it's 4x weak to SR which means it will not have many free switch ins. It's also not very fast + no priority so in the worst case scenario you can always revenge it (or force it to switch out = take SR damage next time it comes in again). Mega Ray is different with unresisted coverage, insane attacking stats, fair defenses and +2 priority.

EDIT: I think I should actually test these ideas before throwing them out there.

Last edited:

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I know Ubers is meant to be unbalanced but lol wtf are you supposed to do to stop this thing exactly? Thunder Wave Lugia/Groudon? Balloon Klefki w/ Thunder Wave, Magnet Rise and Foul Play?

I know Ubers is meant to be unbalanced but lol wtf are you supposed to do to stop this thing exactly? Thunder Wave Lugia/Groudon? Balloon Klefki w/ Thunder Wave, Magnet Rise and Foul Play?
well , actually this thing is much ez killing than tanking it

when its Def/SpD dropped and some HP lost due to its life orb

it is easily got killed by E-killer/M-Ray/Ditto...

Mega Ray's main STAB is Dragon Ascent since it's forced to run it on every set. Dragon has redundant coverage with Flying so you won't see that often. As shaky as it may be, Mega Aero is the best defensive check to Mega Ray.
Mega-aero, while it does sound like a cool check, has opportunity cost out the wazoo because you can't use mega ray yourself.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
well , actually this thing is much ez killing than tanking it

when its Def/SpD dropped and some HP lost due to its life orb

it is easily got killed by E-killer/M-Ray/Ditto...
The only way Ditto can even hope to check Rayquaza is by sacking something to Dragon Ascent to get the -1 and then trying to hit it with Extremespeed, which is incredibly easy to play around. Otherwise you cannot kill it with your own Espeed and easily get OHKOed by +1 LO Espeed. At that point you just sacked one of your own mons just to check it, and aren't even guaranteed to KO it back (it can just switch out). There really aren't any extremely reliable checks to Rayquaza. Magnet Rise Klefki loses to V-Create, Lum, and Sub variants. Shuca Dialga loses to SD. Extreme Killer can't switch in and needs Ray to be weakened first. Not to mention Primal Groudon laughs at all these and is easily Ray's best partner both offensively and defensively. Xatu + Reflect Lugia can work but Xatu is laughably bad and Lugia absolutely needs Stealth Rock off the field and Multiscale intact to hope to beat it. This thing is a huge problem for ubers, and breaks everything even remotely competitive about the tier just by being the best Pokemon in existence. Sure we had RBY Mewtwo, which was easily a more threatening Pokemon, but RBY Ubers isn't exactly a competitive metagame and has a very very small following for that reason (not to mention it never saw inclusion in official tournaments). So saying that we should just put up with it like any other uber seems incredibly short-sighted and naive to me.

How about Aegislash...if you manage to learn M-ray doesn't hold fire moves ?

Beside ...banning M-Rayquaza from uber for being powerful? ...call him broken because power ?
the last time was for the gimmick ability of moody of the evolved infamous 4...

¬_¬ I will really want to see him pit against the infamous moody for see if called broken merit at the one who has become the spear lance of a new power to come.

Seriously , we call him broken ? ..I could imagine what could be broken in the eyes of Gamefreak behind curtains. :/

If we are patient......New arrival will be the answers you guys desperally seek against the Sky king :) .It's the logic, that's why I stop called things broken because just for power, the counters come later.

Last edited:

Level 56

Faded memories
This is the toxic thought I feared what comes from the Uber suspect thread. We had Gen 1 Mewtwo Uber ffs, Gen 3 Deoxys A(no idea if that's true), Arceus in Gen4/5(?)

I mean it isn't even uncompetitive. If it is on every team, so be it. That is the beauty of Ubers.
"There is no viable counterplay as far as I have seen. Make sure your own mega Ray wins before your opponent's".

After reading that quote, do you think that ray deserves to stay? Because of ray people are forced to run strange things like magnet rise klefki for example. Ray is broken in ubers just like salamence is, in OU. Ray would have been fine in ubers if it had to hold a mega stone or something but since it can hold any item, there are not many options except banning.

How about Aegislash...if you manage to learn M-ray doesn't hold fire moves ?
Earthquake is standard on mega-ray and thats enough to kill an aegislash.

True ...:), then it means what i have been thinking all along , new arrivals will come later against the sky king current tyranny ^^.

But my opinion stay, M-ray is well placed in ubers, the only broken thing is the one adknowledge by gamefreak behind curtain...he is not broken, he finally have bring order to ubers :D

That's the beauty of our adaptation....

"There is no viable counterplay as far as I have seen. Make sure your own mega Ray wins before your opponent's".

After reading that quote, do you think that ray deserves to stay? Because of ray people are forced to run strange things like magnet rise klefki for example. Ray is broken in ubers just like salamence is, in OU. Ray would have been fine in ubers if it had to hold a mega stone or something but since it can hold any item, there are not many options except banning.
because functionally, that's not how ubers works? the only reason m-gengar and shadow tag had suspects wasn't because of them being somehow unbalanced, it's because there was merit to them potentially being uncompetitive, by virtue of what shadow tag as an ability does.

currently, it's assumed of you to at least have an xerneas and an arceus in your team, no matter what else your team becomes. this pokemon is no more "uncompetitive" than they are

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The "deal here" is that you can say "lol whatever its ubers so deal with it fgt!" all you want, but that's not the right mentality of a tournament sponsored tier. Xerneas was one thing. Mega Gengar was one thing. Mega Rayquaza is on a whole other level from either of these two Pokemon. No official tier - especially one which is part of SPL and Grand Slam - should have a Pokemon in it that has as little counter play and opportunity cost as Mega Rayquaza.

Now I won't make a huge fuss just yet. Ubers is the tier with as few bans as possible, and the metagame is still really new and someone could come up with a multitude of viable checks in the next month that will change my mind. But as it stands, keeping Mega Ray the way it is right now makes ubers just as uncompetitive as RBY Ubers in my opinion, and has no place in official tours.

Last edited:
If we were going to ban Mega Ray itself or anything related to it, it would be a complex ban due to its nature of Mega Evolution. Banning the form itself is essentially banning Dragon Ascent instead of an item, which only makes Rayquaza significantly worse, so banning Mega Rayquaza is not the easiest solution nor the most beneficial. Imo, the best method we would hypothetically take would be preventing Rayquaza from using an Item+Dragon Ascent approach, which prevents regular Rayquaza from being necessarily viable, putting us in an even stickier situation. Ofc, we could just program something in on Showdown or something like that, but any answer we could take in suspect testing would result in a complex ban.

Regardless, whether we find a decent answer to HO or not, it has only been 4 days since the no-stone Rayquaza has been announced, so let's just keep a level head.

Damn I guess my best tier after 2 years of playing is nothing for me then
I'm talking about ORAS Ubers. You say you've been playing it for 2 years but that was B/W/XY or lower which is different and tiers you can always go back to. An overpowered mon should never be banned from a banlist tier in my opinion not unless theres absolutely zero ways to beat it which is not the case, that's the beauty of Ubers, you need just to find your ways to deal with it. Xerneas changed the tier from what it was in B/W and was very centralizing and we all learned to deal with it so we can do the same with Mega Rayquaza. We just need to either be creative like running Reflect(Lugia is a great user of it), dragon moves we wouldn't normally run on some Pokemon, resist berries, etc or deal with it in a more offensive manner.

I'm talking about ORAS Ubers. You say you've been playing it for 2 years but that was B/W/XY or lower which is different and tiers you can always go back to. An overpowered mon should never be banned from a banlist tier in my opinion not unless theres absolutely zero ways to beat it which is not the case, that's the beauty of Ubers, you need just to find your ways to deal with it. Xerneas changed the tier from what it was in B/W and was very centralizing and we all learned to deal with it so we can do the same with Mega Rayquaza. We just need to either be creative like running Reflect(Lugia is a great user of it), dragon moves we wouldn't normally run on some Pokemon, resist berries, etc or deal with it in a more offensive manner.
Okay since you decided to go down the hard way, here you have it. You very well know that is "going back" to a an old tier like BW Ubers isn't an option- it's a plane rude/dumb statement. Sure I get my fair share of tour play in UPL and sub forum tours, but the lack of general acitivty coupled with Ubers not being as big as OU should explain why there is no going back.

When I say there are absolutely zero ways to checking a well played Mega Rayquaza with an item both defensively and offensively, it isn't because I'm some ban happy whiner. No, infact I can guarantee that I, along with many other players much more experienced than yourself have been trying their hardest to look at things differently. Your arguments don't really hold up as the level of power creep is insane compared to stuff like early XY Xerneas and even early BW Arceus. So don't come to me with your crap about needing to try harder, please.

I don't like how you keep driveling on about inconcrete solutions like Reflect Lugia (switch that into a LO Ray with SR and i'll guarantee you that it's not that fun). That you even dare to bring up resist berries, unSTAB dragon moves and gladly accepting that nothing but offense should be viable in a tier that is involved in competitive tournament play, like SPL, is laughable and completely invalidates whatever point you were trying to make.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
I feel like this whole argument revolves completely around which Ubers philosophy should be the right one. On one side we've got the argument that Ubers should be where [almost] anything goes since few things are ever banned and on the other side we've got the argument that Mega Rayquaza is insane (it is) and something should be done about it to promote a more diverse metagame. Frankly I don't see either of these as inherently wrong philosophies, as far as I can see both are valid approaches. I don't see why we can't just follow both since I don't see anything inherently "uncompetitive" here, but that's besides the point.

At any rate I agree that we should keep a level head here. I don't want to say four days isn't enough to say something should be done about Mega Rayquaza but I feel like it's a bit hasty to write things off completely just yet.

Hack You are just looking at this a different way on what Ubers should be like, it's hard for me to explain because English is not my first language but I'll try my best to. You want Ubers to be as balanced as possible because of tournaments but that's just the way YOU want Ubers to be. The way I see Ubers is that everything bar a few uncompetitive things should be fair play. Mega Rayquaza is not uncompetitive so it should not be removed from Ubers and should stay with the other broken shit like Arceus, Xerneas, Primal Groudon etc. The reason I brought up resist berries, Reflect Lugia (which obviously you shouldn't bring with SR up) and running unSTAB dragon moves on things like maybe Arceus and Landorus-T is because it allows you to not completely get wrecked by Rayquaza. Is it incredibly centralizing? yes but like I said that's just how Ubers works. Also don't bring up the "I'm more experienced than you" because you do not even know me.. I've been playing Ubers since 2010 so a better thing to say would be that we have different views to what Ubers should be like. So yeah my opinion is that Mega Rayquaza is far from "it's a battle of who wins with their Rayquaza first" and people should be more creative if they want to handle it better. Anyways there's no point in talking about whether it should be banned anymore, instead we should talk about the different sets it can use and stuff like that. It's only been 4 days since the release.

Gloating the assumption that your primary argument makes is that uncompetitive and overpowered pokemon are mutually exclusive, but that's not true. hypercentralization has always been a part of the ubers metagame; however, the metagame itself has never come across a problem where a pokemon was as overpowered to the nth degree as rayquaza is. the opportunity cost of not using rayquaza is immense and the pokemon itself has almost no stops. ambiguous retorts such as "people should be more creative if they want to handle it better" make me question your credibility as you provide no concrete, viable examples of this supposed creativity, and many players such as myself and hack have attempted to theorymon solutions to the enigma of mega rayquaza counterplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)