RU Analyses Discussion Thread

I feel tempted to revamp my Sigilyph analysis, as it feels a bit unpolished to me atm. Aside from needing to remove mentions of Yanmega and Zoroark, I also need to mention Meloetta in the Counters section and replace Shadow Ball with Dark Pulse (I didn't even know it learned that). Maybe a possible mention of priority moves in C&C, since popular attacks such as Sucker Punch, Ice Shard, Shadow Sneak, and even Gale Wings Acro can bother Sigi.
I already did all that bar priority through scms a while ago :/

Anyway I think that Dark Pulse should get a mention in the CM set too as it is quite useful against meloetta and in cm wars and that the Flame Orb set is kinda bad :/

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I already did all that bar priority through scms a while ago :/

Anyway I think that Dark Pulse should get a mention in the CM set too as it is quite useful against meloetta and in cm wars and that the Flame Orb set is kinda bad :/
I have absolutely no clue how to work the SMCS (the guide did not help me whatsoever); would save me hassle if I can just brush it up directly. I still see Yanmega and Zoroark btw.

Mention Magneton as a Heat Wave target, kind of extremely important.

Psychic + Dark coverage seems more awkward than Psychic + Fire coverage (especially when CM Sigilyph has little trouble against the likes of Slowking anyway). You can mention Dark Pulse in Moves, notable targets being Meloetta and Delphox.

Well Flame Orb is more suited against stallier teams (utterly wasting most of them XD), and Flame Orb protects it from Registeel's Thunder Wave and Amoonguss's Spore while detering physical attacking switch-ins. I still think the set is useful enough not to be relegated to OO.

phantom

Banned deucer.
I think the current analysis can be handled via SCMS (most changes were covered and the few remaining aren't that big at all), and if we were to do an update, I'd request the removal of the Flame Orb set and probably merge the current CM set with LO. Basically, I agree with Galbia overall.

Reactions: g
Spirit Yo, I did all of the set changes, people need to fill in the set details and moves section and stuff still, though
EDIT;
Also, Sigi's set for merging for whoever does it:
Calm Mind
########
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Psychic / Psyshock
move 3: Heat Wave
move 4: Roost
ability: Magic Guard
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========
Calm Mind boosts Sigilyph's power and special bulk, allowing it to steamroll slower teams that have difficulty weathering its attacks or KOing it in return. Psychic is Sigilyph's main STAB move and has good Base Power. Heat Wave allows Sigilyph to hit Steel-types and maintains decent neutral coverage on the tier. Roost keeps Sigilyph healthy and maintain its boosts. Psyshock can be used to hit physically frail Pokemon, but it doesn't give Sigilyph the edge in Calm Mind wars against opposing bulkier Calm Mind users such as Reuniclus and Cresselia, and exposes Sigilyph to Rhyperior and physically bulky Druddigon, which it preferably wants to take down more effectively.

Set Details
========
The spread is straightforward, with max Speed and Special Attack investment for optimum sweeping potential. Life Orb gives Sigilyph a good boost in power, allowing it to hit hard even without setting up.

Usage Tips
========
Calm Mind Sigilyph is designed to exploit a weak defensive link in balanced teams, then dismantling them with its boosted power, Speed, and coverage. One boost is usually enough to spell trouble for most teams. This Sigilyph combines Delphox's powerful offensive combo with Reuniclus's survivability. Sigilyph easily exploits defensive Pokemon, such as Alomomola, Golbat, Slowking, and Aromatisse, that cannot threaten Sigilyph with paralysis, sleep, or damage.

Team Options
========
Virizion resists Electric-, Rock-, and Dark-type moves for Sigilyph, while Sigilyph can pick apart defensive cores that prevent Virizion from doing much sweeping, especially cores which contain Gligar, Doublade, Aromatisse, and Amoonguss. Offensive sweepers such as Durant, Hitmonlee, Sharpedo, and Cinccino appreciate Sigilyph's ability to weaken defensive cores, while covering for Sigilyph against opposing offensive Pokemon. Sticky Web support can be considered, allowing Sigilyph to clean through teams at an even better caliber.

I know Tyrantrum is now ready to be uploaded but Outrage is a very big buff it got with ORAS and should definitely be included in its set(s). Ik how the policy is with Tyrantrum but i don't think Tyrantrum is going to be banned or anything and it isn't a ridiculously big effort to change it now

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
I believe that Leaf Blade is illegal with another move (Sucker Punch?) so until we get confirmation it's not, it shouldn't replace Seed Bomb.
It is; Sucker Punch is a PtHGSS tutor move that Shiftry can learn but Nuzleaf can't, whereas Nuzleaf gets Leaf Blade by level up but Shiftry doesn't.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, it's not worth giving up Sucker Punch for Leaf Blade so imo Seed Bomb should remain. However a line saying Leaf Blade isn't compatible with Sucker Punch should probably be included, in OO perhaps.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I know Tyrantrum is now ready to be uploaded but Outrage is a very big buff it got with ORAS and should definitely be included in its set(s). Ik how the policy is with Tyrantrum but i don't think Tyrantrum is going to be banned or anything and it isn't a ridiculously big effort to change it now
Definitely agreeing with this. For one, it slightly changes the checks and counters section As it has an easier time breaking through gastrodon. It also won't rely on coverage moves to hit stuff like Virizion.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey everyone, i just wanted to mention that just like there are quite a few Pokemon that the RU QC team feel need revamps, there are also a fair few Pokemon that have had their viability questioned (aka, their onsite RU analyses might be removed). I decided it'd be a good idea to post a list of these Pokemon here so that we can get some more thoughts from the rest of the community on whether we should keep them or not :). Full List below

Pokemon that have had their viability called into question:

Linoone
Mightyena
Lickilicky
Pyroar
Arbok
Rotom-Fan
Miltank
Rotom-N
Ferroseed
Barbaracle
Poliwrath
Mismagius
Cacturne
Zweilous
Lilligant
Swellow
Tauros

Last edited:
Pyroar's analysis should probably be removed imo. It's niche in XY was being a good offensive counter to Doublade, however Doublade is nowhere near as much of a meta-defining threat as it was before. Pyroar is also very outclassed by Houndoom now, who actually has utility outside of checking Doublade, for example being a good answer to Psychic-types.

I haven't really used any of the other Pokemon on the list, however I do want to say that Linoone actually got slightly more viable in ORAS. Bronzong has become the premier defensive Steel-type, and unlike Slurpuff, Linoone can actually do serious damage to Bronzong with a +6 Shadow Claw. Anyway, just some thoughts.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Pyroar is strictly inferior to all of Delphox, Emboar, Moltres, and Houndoom as a Fire-type, as all of them are way better wallbreakers in the tier, and Pyroar does nothing that they can't do, while all of them bar Houndoom have better movepools and more power or better bulk to make use of than Pyroar. Pyroar's only niche has always been beating Doublade and now we have Houndoom to do that, plus Doublade is no longer a dominant threat, so that niche is gone too. Remove it imo.

I feel like Mismagius is fine for an analysis. It is still an alright Nasty Plot sweeper in this metagame and it's usable because it sets up on Cress and after setup it sweeps fairly decently with Shadow Ball and Dazzling Gleam and a decent Speed to boot, and it has usable options like Will-O-Wisp, Taunt, Substitute, or Destiny Bond in the last moveslot which can make Mismagius decently annoying. I think a stallbreaker set isn't out of the question either. I mean it's not like Mismagius is anything amazing or anything but it has enough of a niche to keep its analysis imo.

Barbaracle is a mediocre sweeper that in theory is supposed to work but in practice it's just really underwhelming. It has a hard time setting up and it's pretty easy to deal with even at +2 because it relies on inaccurate moves, is easy to revenge kill, etc. Slurpuff is way better as a cleaner, as as things like Tyrantrum imo and even Shell Smash Omastar is better than this thing lol.

Miltank sucks in NU but idk I haven't used it so I don't really have much to say about it lol.

Linoone and Mightyena are pretty gimmicky, everything else seems kinda...outclassed.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Forgot that the viability of Tauros and Swellow have also been taken into question

I was wondering why Banded Tyrantrum does not have an analysis when honestly it is the most common set lately. The fact that it can hit so hard and outspeed almost any wall makes it a great wall breaker. it has a 53.6% chance to OH-KO Gligar with Ice Fang and if rocks are up there is no chance. Fire Fang is a 2 Hit-KO on even max bulk Registeel after leftovers. Those are just a few examples. Also the exclusion of Outrage from the Choice Scarf set shows how dated the analysis is.

The set would look something like

-Outrage
-Stone Edge/Crunch
-Fire Fang/Earthquake
-Ice Fang

EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Speed/ 4 Def
Nature: Adamant

Crunch might seem weird to most but I prefer it as Strong Jaw essentially gives it STAB and its great for bulky psychics like Slowking while also the luxury of 100% accuracy. It is very spammable and safe which is a nice thing to have on him.The rest seems rather self-explanatory I think.

I have used this wallbreaker to great success on the ladder and feel more should recognize its power. I have never written an analysis before and would understand if another would prefer to, but I am willing to do it if someone would show me how to.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I was wondering why Banded Tyrantrum does not have an analysis when honestly it is the most common set lately. The fact that it can hit so hard and outspeed almost any wall makes it a great wall breaker. it has a 53.6% chance to OH-KO Gligar with Ice Fang and if rocks are up there is no chance. Fire Fang is a 2 Hit-KO on even max bulk Registeel after leftovers. Those are just a few examples. Also the exclusion of Outrage from the Choice Scarf set shows how dated the analysis is.

The set would look something like

-Outrage
-Stone Edge/Crunch
-Fire Fang/Earthquake
-Ice Fang

EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Speed/ 4 Def
Nature: Adamant

Crunch might seem weird to most but I prefer it as Strong Jaw essentially gives it STAB and its great for bulky psychics like Slowking while also the luxury of 100% accuracy. It is very spammable and safe which is a nice thing to have on him.The rest seems rather self-explanatory I think.

I have used this wallbreaker to great success on the ladder and feel more should recognize its power. I have never written an analysis before and would understand if another would prefer to, but I am willing to do it if someone would show me how to.
the on-site analysis is outdated and i'm working on revamping it. the banded set is the first as I do realize it's the best and most common set.

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Does Pangoro have any reason to run Ice Punch now that Gligar is gone? If it isnt necessary, we might as well remove it and mentions of Gligar in the analysis. I'm not that great with SCMS editing, but I just wanted to bring this up for discussion since I wrote the analysis.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Golbat

Edit:

252+ Atk Choice Band Pangoro Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Golbat: 153-180 (43.3 - 50.9%)

252+ Atk Choice Band Pangoro Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Golbat: 226-267 (64 - 75.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

6.3% is also your chance to crit so not a chance people usually take into account

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)