Resource ORAS NU Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

QueenOfLuvdiscs

Tier 3 Audino sub
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
smallgeist is a champion right now; being able to outspeed pokemon like sawk, gallade, zangoose as well as uxie and being able to cripple them is so nice paired with some great resistances to take advantage of lanturn since its basically on every team. Yeah, xatu is annoying for it, as well as sneasel but since those 2 are also on every tryhard team right now, I can see why people want it to drop, but ya know, its really good for my experience using it. Don't drop it pls :[

Reactions: kay
smallgeist is a champion right now; being able to outspeed pokemon like sawk, gallade, zangoose as well as uxie and being able to cripple them is so nice paired with some great resistances to take advantage of lanturn since its basically on every team. Yeah, xatu is annoying for it, as well as sneasel but since those 2 are also on every tryhard team right now, I can see why people want it to drop, but ya know, its really good for my experience using it. Don't drop it pls :[
I totally agree. it is annoying as crap.

How are you guys all building smallgeist? It has plenty of nice moves I'm having a hard time deciding. The subleech set w/ phantom force is fun. I also have an interest in a set w/ Synth, DB, Seed Bomb and WoW. Cripple the base 95s and, DB on something you can't handle maybe? Seed Bomb for hitting Lanturn, Rhydon, etc. Base 85 atk is decent but uninvested it's not that strong.

Abejas

Yo where Ken at
is a Top Tiering Contributor
I like using leech seed+sub foul play and will-o with 200 speed max hp and the rest in defense and jolly. Since sub+seed makes a great combo a fast will-o and if they like to set up on you, use their own attack against them. For things like gallade and running colbur for fighting types that use knock off

Nomming my boy Monferno for C+ or B- rank.

This little guy is literally so great right now, plus he's adorable. Everyone knows that FWG cores are great defensively, right? But Fire pokemon have a tendency to suck as defensive walls. Not Monferno. With access to Will-o-Wisp, Slack Off, Taunt, and Stealth Rock, this little monkey can be a serious wall with the ability to support your team as well if you want it to.

Plus, as far as defensive mons go, Monferno sits at a pretty cozy speed tier of 81, outspeeding the likes of Kabutops and Gallade.

Let me give you some calcs.

+2 252 Atk Choice Band Sneasel Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Monferno: 215-253 (64.9 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(Note this isn't even feasible without a baton pass of some sort)
252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Monferno: 278-328 (83.9 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Tauros doesn't KO and you can burn it late game as a last ditch effort to cripple it.
252 Atk Life Orb burned Kabutops Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Monferno: 175-208 (52.8 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
You burn it before it can net the OHKO, and Aqua Jet is a 2hko. Life Orb + plus burn could easily kill it while you Slack Off for awhile
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Monferno: 234-276 (70.6 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Like seriously. That's insane.

Monferno is a MONSTER. Give it B-, or C+ at the very least.

I think the tier at this point has settled enough to where some of the more obvious ranking changes should be done. I think it was the right idea to not immediately jump to quickly dropping/rising all the mons who had their viability heavily affected by magneton (there is a lot of them) but there is no reason Torterra should still be in the same viability rank as Mawile or Xatu at this point. Also not a huge priority but I think some effort should be done to try and fix some of the obvious tier inflation. C+ is ridiculously bloated right now and B+ is suffering from it a bit as well.

That being said here are some of the viability shifts I think should be made that aren't solely because of Magneton's departure, many of which have been mentioned in the last few pages:

Audino C+ -> B-
Mega Audino is much more common but I think Audino is underrated currently. Regenerator is godly and the ability to switch into almost any special attacker and switch out is great. Pyroar is on the rise and Audino walls it unless it gets lucky with some high rolls on specs fire blast. Not the best mon but doesn't deserve to be in the C ranks. I have been using it as a trick room setter and how easily it sets up trick room switches out into a trick room abuser and back all the while gaining health is incredible.
Granbull B- -> B+
I think Granbull's ability to check so many devastatingly physical attackers in the tier warrants it rising 2 whole subranks. It checks over half of all the mons in S rank and many others. With how much blanket checking Granbull does by itself it gives teams more breathing room. Granbull can also be customized to fit various roles and team needs with utility moves like Roar, Thunder wave, and Heal bell.
Metang C- -> Unranked
To be honest I don't really see why this thing is considered viable. It seems outclassed by practically everything, there are many better rock setters and better offensive steel types. It only has base 70 attack and isn't fast. Mawile boasts better typing, better set up moves, much larger sheer power, and can also set up rocks with a defensive set with intimidate. There are many NFE mons that I feel deserve to be ranked much more than Metang, I mean why would you dedicate a team slot for a Metang honestly.
Delibird C- -> D
This has been discussed already a bit but I don't think it should go unranked. Between rapid spin, spikes, and destiny bond it has enough utility moves to at least justify measly D rank. That being said it isn't very good and if it were to dissappear from the viability rankings entirely I wouldn't care and I don't think many others would either.
Avalugg D -> C+
Disjunction originally brought this up a few pages ago. I'm not sure if this things potential has just been hiding away or it just likes the post magneton meta a lot because Avalugg is actually semi-decent as of right now. Similar to Granbull many of the S rank mons and many other top tier mons can't do much to it and having a straight up wall to not just sneasel but banded sneasel is great. And in a dire situation sturdy + roar can save lives on top of Avalugg's ability to tank hits on the physical side even super effective ones if need be. I remember firing off a gallade's close combat on an enemy Avalugg expecting it to easily die for it to just take less than 50%.

Also maybe its just me but I don't see the appeal of Gourgeist-Small. You are sacrificing 30 Base HP, 15 Attack stat, and crucial defensive investment (that has to go into speed) just to be able to outspeed and cripple faster mons. But you can achieve more or less the same thing with Colbur berry Gourgeist-Super who can tank hits much better, cripple it after it moves, and then stall it out with leech seed, protect, synthesis shenanigans utilizing its much better defenses.
Even without colbur berry the amount of defensive abilities lost is quite staggering from the transition from Super to Small.

252 Atk Choice Band Sneasel Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 152 HP / 132 Def Gourgeist-Small: 288-342 (99.6 - 118.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Sneasel Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 240-284 (64.1 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

KnightK I agree with almost everything except for Audino. The only reason to use Audino over M-Audino is Leftovers, and even that isn't worth it honestly. It's easy to just not Mega-Evolve and keep regen until you absolutely need the extra bulk. Having the Audinite attached gives you a Knock Off and Trick absorber. If anything, I would suggest moving regular Audino down. It's certainly not bad, but there isn't really any reason to use it over it's Mega cousin.

Hello Everyone! I would like to Nominate Gourgeist-Super From B+ > A-

Gourgeist Super is a AMAZING Physical Wall. It can handle Gallade pretty well. Colbur Berry Gourgeist can switch in on a Knock of from a Gallade thanks to its great defenses and Knock Off Power is reduced because of the berry. Then you can heal of with Synthesis and Gourgeist has reliable recover. Leech Seed can also helps. You also have Will-O-Wisp to help further boost your physical bulk. It also acts as a excellent spinblocker. Gourgeist doesn't only deal with Gallade. Other Physical attackers like Kanghaskan or Golurk. However it has a tougher time with Golurk. But, the choice banded set can be easily taken care of if you have some good predictions. Aparently for Kanghaskhan it can't touch Gourgeist. Simply, becuase it can burn it first turn, then use leech seed to get recovery then use seed bomb if your confient about your health, then just use synthesis if you get to low and by the time you heal up you will probably deal at least 25% thanks to the burn and leech seed.

CALCS:

252+ Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Golurk Shadow Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 205-244 (54.8 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 130-154 (34.7 - 41.1%) -- 65.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 111-132 (29.6 - 35.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Gallade Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Colbur Berry Gourgeist-Super: 107-126 (28.6 - 33.6%) -- 0.3% chance to 3HKO

Since Gallade knocked of your item knock off is going to be weaker and it wont be that much of a problem therefore you can use Will-O-Wisp or just get some of your Health Back.

Gourgeist can also deal with common water types like Quagsire with Unaware that may be annoying for your teams.

Thats about it! Thats why i think Gourgeist should move up because of those reasons.

Orphic

perhaps
Nominating:

Regirock A- --> A

Let's look at this in terms of ability to perform it's role on a team. Firstly, what is Regirock's role in the current metagame?
  • Stealth Rocker
  • Sneasel check (SE moves, Thunder Wave, bulky af, Stealth Rock for wittling).
  • Physical OR Special wall
  • Status spreader/team support
Okay so, looking at Regirock's determined role on a team and the metagame at large, we have to decide whether it fulfils this role to an A grade standard? I for one, would say yes it does, way better than A- grade standard.
Firstly, as its primary role is to set Stealth Rocks, I'd say it's fantastic, and does this to better than A grade standard. It threatens Xatu with rock STAB and stops it from coming in to bounce rocks without being incredibly risky, it's bulk allows it to tank multiple hits and get off rocks I'd say 99% of the time, undeniable A quality in this role.

Second, as a Sneasel check, something that's very necessary on all teams in the current meta. Regirock's primary role already threatens Sneasel's longevity and forces it to have to think twice about coming in just to threaten things out. Regirock's bulk and ability to choose from a wealth of options to take on Sneasel mean it performs this role to perfection, a Choice Band Knock Off isn't a worry as it does 0 to Regirock plus subsequent Knock Off's do even less. Regirock can Drain Punch, T-Wave, Stone Edge, Explosion, Earthquake, all of which Sneasel would just die to, so another A rank quality here.

Third, as a general wall besides Sneasel. Regirock has a great base defense, allowing it to choose between mixed, physical and specially defensive, making it hard to choose what to hit it with during the battle, choose wrong, it can be costly. Specially defensive Regirock acts as a great Magmortar and Pyroar check, and even can tank a hit from Gallade Close Combat and get off a T-Wave/Explosion to knock it out, checking this many threats in the current meta doesn't go unheard of. The status-spreader role is definitely encapsulated in the first three points so I won't go into detail.

Hope you guys agree.

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
Nominating:

Regirock A- --> A

Let's look at this in terms of ability to perform it's role on a team. Firstly, what is Regirock's role in the current metagame?
  • Stealth Rocker
  • Sneasel check (SE moves, Thunder Wave, bulky af, Stealth Rock for wittling).
  • Physical OR Special wall
  • Status spreader/team support
Okay so, looking at Regirock's determined role on a team and the metagame at large, we have to decide whether it fulfils this role to an A grade standard? I for one, would say yes it does, way better than A- grade standard.
Firstly, as its primary role is to set Stealth Rocks, I'd say it's fantastic, and does this to better than A grade standard. It threatens Xatu with rock STAB and stops it from coming in to bounce rocks without being incredibly risky, it's bulk allows it to tank multiple hits and get off rocks I'd say 99% of the time, undeniable A quality in this role.

Second, as a Sneasel check, something that's very necessary on all teams in the current meta. Regirock's primary role already threatens Sneasel's longevity and forces it to have to think twice about coming in just to threaten things out. Regirock's bulk and ability to choose from a wealth of options to take on Sneasel mean it performs this role to perfection, a Choice Band Knock Off isn't a worry as it does 0 to Regirock plus subsequent Knock Off's do even less. Regirock can Drain Punch, T-Wave, Stone Edge, Explosion, Earthquake, all of which Sneasel would just die to, so another A rank quality here.

Third, as a general wall besides Sneasel. Regirock has a great base defense, allowing it to choose between mixed, physical and specially defensive, making it hard to choose what to hit it with during the battle, choose wrong, it can be costly. Specially defensive Regirock acts as a great Magmortar and Pyroar check, and even can tank a hit from Gallade Close Combat and get off a T-Wave/Explosion to knock it out, checking this many threats in the current meta doesn't go unheard of. The status-spreader role is definitely encapsulated in the first three points so I won't go into detail.

Hope you guys agree.
I'd like to add that honestly Regirock has basically replaced Rhydon in most of my teams because mono-Rock typing is actually pretty solid defensively, as it can counter Pyroar better because it doesn't take much of HP Grass and doesn't fall to coverage like Aqua Tail from Kangaskhan and Archeops. Not being weak to Ice is also pretty huge, and it's not Eviolite-dependent, so it can actually counter Sneasel. T-Wave is great too obviously. It's just overall better than Rhydon defensively outside of handling some Electric-types better imo, and it can viably run Custap in more offensive teams. This thing is so splashable and does so many roles for a team that I really think it should be A

Shelgon Unranked --> D/C-

So Shelgon is a very underated mon right now, it has very good defensive capabilities with eviolite, recovery with wish, and a great typing for a bulky mon. Shelgon is able to boast being one of the very limited defensive mons that can wall magmortar and other special threats which seperates it from other certain mons that are unranked. Iit is viable on certain teams which fits the role of a C rank mon very well while still maintaining it's niches. It can wall a wide amount of mons due to it's unique defensive typing that allows it to be a solid defensive mon and with access to wishtect it can easily recover giving it longetivity and a more reliable recovery than it's competitor spdef zweilious being able to wall things like magmortar without fearing focus blast. Here are some calcs to show mons it can very easily check.

I provided pictures so it would look nicer :3
252+ SpA Life Orb Magmortar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Shelgon: 90-107 (26.9 - 32%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Pyroar Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Shelgon: 141-166 (42.2 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Cacturne Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Shelgon: 125-148 (37.4 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Mesprit Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Shelgon: 133-156 (39.8 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Shelgon: 127-150 (38 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Rock Climb vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Shelgon: 140-165 (41.9 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (gl hitting 20 rock climbs)
252 SpA Life Orb Haunter Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Shelgon: 129-152 (38.6 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Shelgon: 139-165 (41.6 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Swellow Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Shelgon: 138-163 (41.3 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Ludicolo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Shelgon: 122-144 (36.5 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
All of these mons can either be beaten by shelgon which is quite mindblowing.

Overall, shelgon is a very solid mon that has uses on certain teams as it can wall certain threats that one may find well... threatning. It has reliable recovery so it can heal it's self or pass of weak wishes to other mons if needed. The amount of mons it can wall is outstanding for a unranked mon and it's typing prevents coverage moves screwing it over most of the time as well ice, dragon and fairy are all obsecure coverage moves on certain mons. Completly worth C- maybe even higher :]

Please note: Shelgon is physically bulkier than zwei and sligoo, and I would really argue that dragon is a better typing defensivly than dark/dragon. It may be slightly passive but dragon claw is still a strong move it runs which can still hit quite hard. Keep in mind I'm suggesting it for D rank so I completly know it's flaws and yes you are just wish tecting a lot of the time but it still has a niche over that other defensive dragons such as dragonair and zwei. Not to mention overcoat makes it a great lilligant and vivillion check even with hp ice. It is also stronger than previously mentioned dragons and isn't forced to rely on sleep turns with dragonair (as it gets most of it's bulk while asleep) and it doesn't have a chance to miss with zwie. So yes it may look outclassed but it has several niches which makes it fully deserving of D rank.

Last edited:

Shelgon Unranked --> D/C-

So Shelgon is a very underated mon right now, it has very good defensive capabilities with eviolite, recovery with wish, and a great typing for a bulky mon. Shelgon is able to boast being one of the very limited defensive mons that can wall magmortar and other special threats which seperates it from other certain mons that are unranked. Iit is viable on certain teams which fits the role of a C rank mon very well while still maintaining it's niches. It can wall a wide amount of mons due to it's unique defensive typing that allows it to be a solid defensive mon and with access to wishtect it can easily recover giving it longetivity and a more reliable recovery than it's competitor spdef zweilious being able to wall things like magmortar without fearing focus blast. Here are some calcs to show mons it can very easily check.

I provided pictures so it would look nicer :3
252+ SpA Life Orb Magmortar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Shelgon: 90-107 (26.9 - 32%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Pyroar Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Shelgon: 141-166 (42.2 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Cacturne Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Shelgon: 125-148 (37.4 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Mesprit Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Shelgon: 133-156 (39.8 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Shelgon: 127-150 (38 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Rock Climb vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Shelgon: 140-165 (41.9 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (gl hitting 20 rock climbs)
252 SpA Life Orb Haunter Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Shelgon: 129-152 (38.6 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Shelgon: 139-165 (41.6 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Swellow Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Shelgon: 138-163 (41.3 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Ludicolo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Shelgon: 122-144 (36.5 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
All of these mons can either be beaten by shelgon which is quite mindblowing.

Overall, shelgon is a very solid mon that has uses on certain teams as it can wall certain threats that one may find well... threatning. It has reliable recovery so it can heal it's self or pass of weak wishes to other mons if needed. The amount of mons it can wall is outstanding for a unranked mon and it's typing prevents coverage moves screwing it over most of the time as well ice, dragon and fairy are all obsecure coverage moves on certain mons. Completly worth C- maybe even higher :]
Okay yes it can take a hit from most of these mons, but apart from just sitting there and wishing while being extremely easy setup bait; what does it do back to them? you're just going to be sat there wish-tecting the whole time.

Okay yes it can take a hit from most of these mons, but apart from just sitting there and wishing while being extremely easy setup bait; what does it do back to them? you're just going to be sat there wish-tecting the whole time.
I remember this had a rest talk set with crunch and dragon tail, is that still viable?

Is Shelgon really worth using over the other NFE dragons that pretty much do the same thing but better? metaphysical mentioned Zwelious which sports better typing, power and similar bulk. It may not have reliable recovery but still rest/talk is still decent at least it's not just acting like a sitting duck using Wish/Protect, Dragonair has Marvel scale which makes it bulkier than shelgon on both sides and it learns dragon tail and thunder wave, moves Shelgon misses out on. Not to mention it's a decent booster with dragon dance. Hell, if you want a dragon that can sponge just about any special hits why not try Sliggoo which offers alot more overall utility than Shelgon.

I don't see Shelgon doing anything special other than being outclassed. Wish isn't even that much of an niche especially on a mon like Shelgon which is reliant on it and that's about all it can do. =/ imo stay unranked

Not to mention Wish Support from a base 65 HP mon is quite underwhelming, you aren't going to be healing up any of your mons any time soon. Essentially, Shelgons use for wish-tect isn't as a supportive device to help its teammates.
Shelgons wish-tect is more like a reliable recovery slot that takes up two moveslots instead of one.
Normally, I would support the fact that Shelgons has a niche and probably push for it to be ranked, but it doesn't do anything better than other dragon types, it gets wish-tect, so what? Other dragons outclass it offensively and defensively leaving poor Shelgons scrapping with a niche which is quite frankly below-par.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Shelgon does have a lot of defensive capability, not doubting that. However, the lackluster HP and practical applications of Shelgon make me question its viability - I certainly know that I'd never use it myself at least. I personally feel that using Restalk phazer Zweilous is beneficial when you have spikes support while it doesn't neither fits onto many other teams in general. I think D rank would be fine for it, but anything higher would be a stretch.

Regirock moving up to A seems like a great idea though. It has a huge niche in the current metagame as an SR setter that is able to withstand multitude of offensive attacks while still doing its job as an SR setter and having fair offensive presence. It's able to check Archeops, Sneasel, Tauros, Kanga, Scyther, Fletch, Swellow, etc. I also like the fact that it's not stuck using eviolite, like Rhydon, so it can use Custap, Lum, Chople, Passho, etc. (I tend to get creative here n_n). But uh with the walling and offensive capabilities in conjunction with the versatility with item and even movepool (boom, twave, sr, stone edge, eq, drain punch, fire punch, toxic, etc.) it really stands out as a very convenient choice for a team and worth a slot as an SR setter often, so I think A tier suits it best.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Before we all hop on Regirock's bump...

to A already jesus

Lately I feel that
hasn't been up to snuff. There is little reason to consider Tangela over either Gourgeist and especially Vileplume (which is lower ranked that it right now @_@). I don't believe Tangela walls anything better than those two would, with the possible sole exception being SD Kabutops though Gourgeist can do massie damage back with +2 Foul Play and can spinblock Tops. Meanwhile, Gourgeist and Plume can soak up hits from the common Fighting-types (ofc Plume won't hold up against Gallade) without getting crippled by Knock Off, plus both of them carry a greater deal of field presence: Gourgeist has various ways of inflicting and stacking passive damage, while Plume is considerably harder to switch into than Tangela due to better power and Poison STAB which can annoy most offensive Grass resists (primarily Fire-, Flying-types, and Bug-types). Even Leafeon can give mild competition as a bulky Grass-type with sustain, as it has an equally good, if not better matchup against Kabutops, and offers a different form of sustain via Wish to support teammates, rather than Regenerator supporting Tangela itself. I feel Tangela dropping to B isn't unwarranted.

Last edited:

QueenOfLuvdiscs

Tier 3 Audino sub

Nomming Piloswine to B+/A-.
This thing is literal Jesus right now; the anti-aids Jesus for the following reasons:
  • Checks Sneasel
  • Bops Xatu
  • Bops Mawile (-1 252+ Atk Piloswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mawile: 162-192 (53.2 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery)
  • Bops Lanturn (with 80 spdef EVs, Scald 3HKOs)
Ice/Ground has always been great coverage as nothing resists both STABs (except Surskit lol). Acts as a Stealth Rocker as well as having access to priority. 100/80/60 with Thick Fat + Eviolite isn't bad bulk either. I dunno what else to say; I was about to turn away from NU, but then I saw the light; I saw Jesus in the form of this mon and with that, stopped me from not enjoying NU.

Nomming Piloswine to B+/A-.
This thing is literal Jesus right now; the anti-aids Jesus for the following reasons:
  • Checks Sneasel
  • Bops Xatu
  • Bops Mawile (-1 252+ Atk Piloswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mawile: 162-192 (53.2 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery)
  • Bops Lanturn (with 80 spdef EVs, Scald 3HKOs)
Ice/Ground has always been great coverage as nothing resists both STABs (except Surskit lol). Acts as a Stealth Rocker as well as having access to priority. 100/80/60 with Thick Fat + Eviolite isn't bad bulk either. I dunno what else to say; I was about to turn away from NU, but then I saw the light; I saw Jesus in the form of this mon and with that, stopped me from not enjoying NU.
Here are some more mons it reliably beats.

Hazard mons:
Archeops
Rhydon
Claydol
Regirock
Torterra
Garbodor
Cradily

Offensive mons:
Archeops
Sneasel
Tauros
Xatu
Mawile
Scyther
Liepard
Swellow
Pawniard
Aurorus

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
I want Pyroar to go to A+. Reasons: Pyroar has very few switchins. A choice specs Fire Blast is pretty damn powerful, and not a lot of shiz except for bulky waters or Rock types wants to switch in on it. It also has nice 106 speed, outspeeding a good amount of the meta. It also has nice coverage with Hyper Voice and HP Grass. Problems are that it's frail, is not faster than the 110's, and it dies to common priority moves like Mach Punch, but it has so much good points that it outweighs the bad. pyroar for A+. Also agree with the tangela drop, its not as good as before.( I'm on mobile, so sorry if it's short.)

I want Pyroar to go to A+. Reasons: Pyroar has very few switchins. A choice specs Fire Blast is pretty damn powerful, and not a lot of shiz except for bulky waters or Rock types wants to switch in on it. It also has nice 106 speed, outspeeding a good amount of the meta. It also has nice coverage with Hyper Voice and HP Grass. Problems are that it's frail, is not faster than the 110's, and it dies to common priority moves like Mach Punch, but it has so much good points that it outweighs the bad. pyroar for A+. Also agree with the tangela drop, its not as good as before.( I'm on mobile, so sorry if it's short.)
I think, for the moment, it would be best to keep pyroar where it is ATM. The fact it dies to a Banded Knock Off after SR from Sneasel and a pursuit after SR and One Life Orb recoil means that, its kinda just made redundant with a couple of pivot switches. If Sneasel were to leave, I would definitely push for this however.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think, for the moment, it would be best to keep pyroar where it is ATM. The fact it dies to a Banded Knock Off after SR from Sneasel and a pursuit after SR and One Life Orb recoil means that, its kinda just made redundant with a couple of pivot switches. If Sneasel were to leave, I would definitely push for this however.
I don't think Sneasel necessarily stops Pyroar from doing its job correctly. Yes, Pokemon that are faster than Pyroar can revenge kill it, such as Archeops and Tauros, but that doesn't prevent Pyroar from having near perfect coverage for the tier and utility with Taunt and Wisp. Base 106 Speed is exceptional right now too, as it only loses to base 110+'s, of which there are only 4 relevant mons. It's also important to note that while Sneasel CAN Pursuit trap it (like everything else) that isn't an entirely safe play because Pyroar can kill if it stays in.

Pyroar is a very real threat that a lot of teams aren't preparing for right now. Definitely deserving of A+ imo.

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
On that note, can we move Cryogonal down to B- or so? It's a decent spinner, beating almost all the spinblockers (which aren't really much of a thing tbh) and it beats some hazard setters such as Psychic Mesprit and Stunfisk and can force out Rhydon and Torterra. Ice-types, especially with Freeze Dry, are hard to switch into in general. Its speed is decent, though honestly not much really falls between it and a fellow Ice-type like Jynx. It has pretty good special defense and Recover, so it can check Grass- and Water-types. But in spite of all this, I pretty much refuse to use it, most importantly because Sneasel is so goddamn bad for it. If I need a spinner for say Fletchinder or Scyther, I'm never going to use this thing because it basically only gets one chance to spin, and after that it gets Pursuit-trapped by Sneasel, and my opponent just sets up SR again. And if I'm not using it as a spinner, then I'd much rather use Jynx or even Vanilluxe and Articuno, which are harder to switch into and have a much better match-up vs Sneasel (Jynx has Focus Blast and Lovely Kiss so it can't switch in, and often runs Focus Sash, and the other two have actual physical bulk). The trend towards Regirock as the bulky Rock-type of choice also hurts it quite a bit. While on paper it works just fine, in practice it ends up dying early-game if it tries to do anything, especially because of how common Sneasel currently is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)