Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Now here's a rather dumb question, is there a thread/board for the TCG?
No, there's nothing to do with the TCG on this site. Smogon discusses only the games, and then in Orange Islands there is an anime and a manga thread.
This is wrong. There have been several attempts at a TCG thread, but none have really taken off the ground. Best bet is to join #oi when TheMantyke and Mekkah are around. Both of them play the TCG :)

I've recently gotten into DexNav chaining, and I even caught a shiny Klefki using the method. However, that was only because that area had a good overview and the Pokemon wasn't moving. If I for instance want to catch a Pokemon that's moving and/or its area has bad overview, what do I do to reach it in time without being too slow? Any tips?

I've recently gotten into DexNav chaining, and I even caught a shiny Klefki using the method. However, that was only because that area had a good overview and the Pokemon wasn't moving. If I for instance want to catch a Pokemon that's moving and/or its area has bad overview, what do I do to reach it in time without being too slow? Any tips?
Well if you're close enough, you should should be able to hit the Run button and catch it before it leaves. But again you have to be really close (I'd say 1 and a half tiles at most)

If I breed a male and a female Wobbuffet that both know Encore holding a Destiny Knot and Everstone respectively, would the resulting Wobbuffet know Encore?

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
If I breed a male and a female Wobbuffet that both know Encore holding a Destiny Knot and Everstone respectively, would the resulting Wobbuffet know Encore?
Encore isn't a lv up move for Wobbuffet (just Wynaut), so no.

Knocked out Primal Groudon by accident in OmegaRuby. Is there any way to get it again?
Yes. Just beat the elite 4, and Groudon will respawn in the Cave of Origin

1) What's the episode where mega salamence and pidgeot/mega pidgeot battle?
2) What's the episode where mega salamence and mega charizard x battle? It seems like mega evolution special act 2 or 3 is it but I was only able to find preview/intro/whatevever that is only ~50 second long. Is there a full episode with mega salamence?

Thanks for the info. But that's the place that says mega mence is in episode x. But when I check it out, I only see it in one of those 50-second preview-like clips. Maybe that's just it. Thanks.

Soft resets (assuming you didn't save afterwards, in which case restarting the game and GTS are your only options)
Um, since at least Platinum, any legendary that is defeated will respawn upon defeating the Elite Four after it was knocked out. This is key to RNGing the Kanto birds in Platinum and Raikou, Entei, and Lati@s in HG/SS, and key to keeping your sanity when soft resetting Primal Groudon/Kyogre in OR/AS. (beat them the first time then return after Delta Episode to not have to sit through the long cut-scene before you can check your catch) Not to mention knocking out Deoxys in Delta Episode to soft reset it later. Do note that while Groudon/Kyogre is located in the same place as before, you take the path to the left this time to reach them. Deoxys respawns at the top of the Sky Pillar.

Um, since at least Platinum, any legendary that is defeated will respawn upon defeating the Elite Four after it was knocked out. This is key to RNGing the Kanto birds in Platinum and Raikou, Entei, and Lati@s in HG/SS, and key to keeping your sanity when soft resetting Primal Groudon/Kyogre in OR/AS. (beat them the first time then return after Delta Episode to not have to sit through the long cut-scene before you can check your catch) Not to mention knocking out Deoxys in Delta Episode to soft reset it later. Do note that while Groudon/Kyogre is located in the same place as before, you take the path to the left this time to reach them. Deoxys respawns at the top of the Sky Pillar.
So I can intentionally kill Deoxys to avoid the cutscene, beat the crap out of the E4, then come back to Sky Pillar? Good to know.

So I can intentionally kill Deoxys to avoid the cutscene, beat the crap out of the E4, then come back to Sky Pillar? Good to know.
Yes you can, and is highly recommended since there's no break to save between trying to catch Rayquaza (it's required) and facing Deoxys. Be wary, however, that the Elite Four will be much stronger with their rematch teams than the first time through. They'll also be using some non-Hoenn native Pokemon in their teams, (a particular boon for Phoebe and Glacia) and each now has a mega evolution to use. Also, Steven will reward you for beating his rematch team the first time with Metagrossite.

Hi, I have a question in regards to EV training (sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this). I don't play competitively but just want to get the most out of my Pokemon when I go against my brother (he doesn't EV train). So, I know a lot of people take their really fast Pokemon and max their speed EVs for competition, but in my case, is that really neccessary? I like the chances of my already fast Pokemon like Sceptile and Crobat getting the first move regardless. Should I still go all the way with speed, or should I move some of that to the non-maxed EV? And if so how much?

Hi, I have a question in regards to EV training (sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this). I don't play competitively but just want to get the most out of my Pokemon when I go against my brother (he doesn't EV train). So, I know a lot of people take their really fast Pokemon and max their speed EVs for competition, but in my case, is that really neccessary? I like the chances of my already fast Pokemon like Sceptile and Crobat getting the first move regardless. Should I still go all the way with speed, or should I move some of that to the non-maxed EV? And if so how much?
Whatever works for you is fine, since you're not concerned with hitting certain speed tiers that make it almost mandatory for particularly fast Pokemon to competitively go all out in Speed and with a + Speed nature like Timid. Unfortunately, Smogon can't tell you how much to invest in another stat instead of Speed on really fast Pokemon to best handle your casual player brother, that's something you'll have to figure out on your own. (it'd still be a good idea to max the Speed if you want to get into the in-game competitive area, the Battle Maison, at some point. See the thread dedicated to it here in Orange Islands for some possible tips and strategies to try. They might even be fun to pull on your brother)

One particular exception though is Mega Beedrill: Everything besides Attack and Speed is just too low at its base to make any difference, and needs its speed to be that terrifying glass cannon it's meant to be. You might be able to get away with not running Protect, however.

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Against "uninvested" opponents, fast Pokémon usually go first anyway, so if you want to invest in other things but Speed, that's fine. A general advice is to stick to your strongest offensive stat: Get EVs in either Attack or Special Attack, but not both. Pick your moves accordingly. Go all Special or all Physical, but only very few Pokémon should ever use both.

If you want to train a defensive stat with the remaining EVs, go for HP, unless you're using something like Dusclops, which has terrible HP but otherwise decent defenses. No matter which side of the spectrum your opponent hits from, your HP is depleted, so having as many of those as possible is usually a good idea. Investing all into either Defense is tempting (say, Physical defense for Aggron or Special for Umbreon), but then it will really hurt when your opponent hits you with the other.

Also, plan out your team. Make sure your team members don't all share a common weakness. Good luck beating your brother!

What all is Shiny locked in OR/AS, besides the weather trio and Deoxys? Those I know to be Shiny-locked, but considering the Snorlax in X/Y, I just feel like now you never know, y'know? What I'm wondering about is as follows;
  • Cosplay Pikachu (I feel I already know the answer to this one, considering the Spiky-Eared Pichu was Shiny locked, but I figure it couldn't hurt to ask)
  • The Castform you get at the Weather Institute (if memory serves, its nature and gender are locked for some strange reason, so...)
  • The Wynaut Egg you get in Lavaridge (and the Togepi one as well, for that matter)
  • Any of the Devon Scope Kecleon (including the one you're forced to battle on that bridge when Steven first gives you the Devon Scope)
  • The Camerupt and Sharpedo you get from the Magma/Aqua grunts in love at the Battle Resort
  • The Lati@s you're forcibly given at Southern Island during the main storyline
  • The Poochyena that chases Birch around at the start of the game (oh, the horror stories I've heard from Shiny hunters about that in their pursuit for a Shiny Hoenn starter in the originals...)
  • The Wurmple you are forced to encounter after three steps in the grass on Route 101 (considering you can't have Poké Balls yet at that point, I'd hope so- and why even do that in the first place? First that Pidgey and now this? What's the point?)
  • Any of the fixed DexNav encounters (elemental fang Poochyena, Fell Stinger Surskit, Charm Zigzagoon, etc.)
  • The Voltorb in New Mauville/Electrode in the Magma/Aqua hideout disguised as item balls
And I already know the following to not be Shiny locked, mostly due to the miracle of YouTube videos:
  • Any starters you get from Birch, Hoenn or otherwise
  • The Spiritomb in Sea Mauville
  • The Lati@s you get on Southern Island via the Eon Ticket
  • Any legendaries other than the weather trio and Deoxys
  • Anything found while soaring (this one I know from experience, having caught a Shiny Taillow and a Shiny Wingull in the sky thus far)
  • Anything in Mirage Spots
Thanks in advance for any answers, they'll be a huge help to me in my future Shiny hunting endeavors.

What all is Shiny locked in OR/AS, besides the weather trio and Deoxys? Those I know to be Shiny-locked, but considering the Snorlax in X/Y, I just feel like now you never know, y'know? What I'm wondering about is as follows;
  • Cosplay Pikachu (I feel I already know the answer to this one, considering the Spiky-Eared Pichu was Shiny locked, but I figure it couldn't hurt to ask)
  • The Castform you get at the Weather Institute (if memory serves, its nature and gender are locked for some strange reason, so...)
  • The Wynaut Egg you get in Lavaridge (and the Togepi one as well, for that matter)
  • Any of the Devon Scope Kecleon (including the one you're forced to battle on that bridge when Steven first gives you the Devon Scope)
  • The Camerupt and Sharpedo you get from the Magma/Aqua grunts in love at the Battle Resort
  • The Lati@s you're forcibly given at Southern Island during the main storyline
  • The Poochyena that chases Birch around at the start of the game (oh, the horror stories I've heard from Shiny hunters about that in their pursuit for a Shiny Hoenn starter in the originals...)
  • The Wurmple you are forced to encounter after three steps in the grass on Route 101 (considering you can't have Poké Balls yet at that point, I'd hope so- and why even do that in the first place? First that Pidgey and now this? What's the point?)
  • Any of the fixed DexNav encounters (elemental fang Poochyena, Fell Stinger Surskit, Charm Zigzagoon, etc.)
  • The Voltorb in New Mauville/Electrode in the Magma/Aqua hideout disguised as item balls
And I already know the following to not be Shiny locked, mostly due to the miracle of YouTube videos:
  • Any starters you get from Birch, Hoenn or otherwise
  • The Spiritomb in Sea Mauville
  • The Lati@s you get on Southern Island via the Eon Ticket
  • Any legendaries other than the weather trio and Deoxys
  • Anything found while soaring (this one I know from experience, having caught a Shiny Taillow and a Shiny Wingull in the sky thus far)
  • Anything in Mirage Spots
Thanks in advance for any answers, they'll be a huge help to me in my future Shiny hunting endeavors.
I'm pretty sure Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, and Deoxys are the only things shiny locked. (plus anything from Mystery Gift including Steven's shiny Beldum that if you're starting the game just now you've missed out on) But most of what you're asking can be bred shiny if you NEED them to be shiny. (Cos-play Pikachu aside. It can't breed but gets the three guaranteed perfect IV's and guaranteed synch like the story Lati@s) DexNav can give you a boosted chance of finding a shiny though.

For the Dragonite event going on now, is it one single serial code that anyone can use or is it many unique codes? And, if it is the first one, what is the code?

can rom hacks like blaze black/volt white, sacred gold/storm silver be discussed here?
and if so can i make a topic?

edit: yeah itd only be game discussion, not link sharing or anything

can rom hacks like blaze black/volt white, sacred gold/storm silver be discussed here?
and if so can i make a topic?
It's probably allowed seeing we have some ROM called Omega Fire Red or something quite some time ago (although they strictly disallow sharing links to the game, actual tiering discussion is fine) . But, it's better for a mod to answer this question though.

I honestly have no idea where to post this, so sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Just earlier today, I made a post in the PS! bug reports thread about the display of Worry Seed and Simple Beam. On PS!, it only displays something like this:
Roserade used Worry Seed!
Suicune acquired Isnomia!

Basically, I want to see if somebody can test in-game to show how it actually is. I remember in Gen V there was an animation where it shows the ability change thing, which looked like this. I'm not sure if this is the case in Gen VI, so it'd be very helpful is anyone could tell me if it's still this way. Thanks. :]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)