Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have understood that Masuda Method uses the (0x17) marker in the data structure of the Pokemon games to identify whether two Pokemon have different nationalities (and thus produce shiny offspring more often). What I do not yet understand, is if this is the game language you choose when you start a new game (and thus decently controllable), or if it is tied to the language of the DS system itself / the actual origin of the DS system / the actual origin of the Pokemon game. Could someone please explain?

In a practical sense: I am considering to restart my Pokemon Pearl game, and because it's my least favourite game, I would not mind playing it in a language I barely understand. It could possibly be an easy way to obtain 'foreign' Pokemon suitable for Masuda Method. If there is a very good reason to assume that it works the way I hope it might, I could even buy a second hands 5th Gen Game to make RNGing a 6IV 'foreign' Ditto very easy for me. I know I could also just trade for one and know for sure, but most people don't trade uncloned ones (I don't like clones), and most people also haven't obtained them by themselves (and make me doubt their legitimacy). If this process works in some generation Pokemon game(s) but not in others, I would like to know which one(s).

Thank you for your time.
It's tied to the language of the game the Pokemon is generated in, (which is why 'foreign' in-game trades like Lt. Surge's Pikachu don't work for Masuda Method) but only the gen 6 titles let you choose the language you play in. I don't recall ever being asked to choose the language I wanted to play in for anything before X/Y, so restarting Pearl or buying a used B/W(2) probably won't help as they're locked into the language of the region they were originally sold in.

Ok, this is a question we won't be able to answer for a while and is mainly for speculation, but Hoopa-U reverts into Hoopa-C when boxed. Does this mean that tournaments that require Pokémon to be in the Battle Box will effectively disallow Hoopa-U, even if they are a legendaries allowed tournament?

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Ok, this is a question we won't be able to answer for a while and is mainly for speculation, but Hoopa-U reverts into Hoopa-C when boxed. Does this mean that tournaments that require Pokémon to be in the Battle Box will effectively disallow Hoopa-U, even if they are a legendaries allowed tournament?
Probably... A quick Google search teaches me that even though legendaries weren't banned Skymin was unusable in such a tournament because it reverted to land forme when boxed; admittedly this was on BWB2W2, but I reckon the same should apply to Hoopa-U.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah The Dutch Plumberjack is correct, not only did Skymin not work in the BW2 competition, it still didn't work in the recent Battle Spot competitions that allowed legendary Pokemon (Battle of Legends, Generation Showdown and Enter the Dragon Type) due to it reverting to Land-forme when put into the Battle Box. I think it's very safe to assume this will be the same for Hoopa-U

I have a question about Pokemon HG / SS:
If you make an egg in one version and trade it to a second version, will the OT be the first or the second version?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I have a question about Pokemon HG / SS:
If you make an egg in one version and trade it to a second version, will the OT be the first or the second version?
I use this exact method when I want to try out new Pokemon on a new game. Breed and trade over an egg so it hatches with that OT, so it does not get boosted XP/chance to not obey.

*Okay so I had made 2 other threads of this question and keep getting redirected around so hopefully this is the right place lol

I am training a bunch of pokemon to all have the best ability and EVs for what I want them to do on my Omega Ruby version. My issue is that I don't have perfect EVs and honestly don't feel like bothering with them. I will mainly be fighting the maison and sometimes wifi battling though I mostly do that on showdown. Anyways, I am thinking of having my pokemon have natures that boost speed if they have a speed stat of at least 90 or higher. If I can't outspeed anything than I'm screwed so I figure having as many points into speed stat will help.

But I am having issues when it comes to pokemon with an already high speed stat. Like Alakazam; he has a very impressive speed stat but I don't know if I should give him a +Spe -Atk nature or a +SpA -Atk nature.

Any help would be greatly appreciated =)

*Okay so I had made 2 other threads of this question and keep getting redirected around so hopefully this is the right place lol

I am training a bunch of pokemon to all have the best ability and EVs for what I want them to do on my Omega Ruby version. My issue is that I don't have perfect EVs and honestly don't feel like bothering with them. I will mainly be fighting the maison and sometimes wifi battling though I mostly do that on showdown. Anyways, I am thinking of having my pokemon have natures that boost speed if they have a speed stat of at least 90 or higher. If I can't outspeed anything than I'm screwed so I figure having as many points into speed stat will help.

But I am having issues when it comes to pokemon with an already high speed stat. Like Alakazam; he has a very impressive speed stat but I don't know if I should give him a +Spe -Atk nature or a +SpA -Atk nature.

http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/

http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/breeding_guide_part1

http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/ev-training-hotspots-x-y/

http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/ev-training-horde-hotspots-pokemon-omega-ruby-alpha-sapphire/

If you still have questions PM me.

edit: I think you meant IV's in the first part of the post not EV's. If you simply need perfect pokemon to use then I'm sure you can easily find someone in the wifi forums in a trade thread who can help you. Or heck I can help you out also. If I just flat our wrong with what I am saying then let me know.

edit edit: It doesn't matter how much you invest in speed because if the IV in speed is not perfect your kinda screwed still. Most people also go plus speed over plus special attack for frail pokemon like alakazam.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We literally have guides for these exact topics in this exact forum, why bother linking to different websites?

XY Horde Guide

ORAS Quickstart Guide (has Horde hotspots at the top)

If you aren't sure on what natures to pick then check out the Strategy Dex (found on the homepage) which has analyses for basically every Pokemon and suggested builds for them. If you're just playing the in-game story then natures really don't matter at all. If you're playing the Maison or battling on Wi-Fi or Battle Spot then I would recommend taking the time to breed flawless Pokemon, you can grab perfect Dittos for breeding by asking in the Wi-Fi forum's Simple Request thread which makes breeding incredibly easy.

Not sure why you got redirected here since this isn't a competitive sub-forum so talking about this stuff generally isn't allowed..

edit: looks like DHR himself directed you here. can't argue with that!

Last edited:
Is using the QR code cloning glitch considered hacking, similar to the way that using the shiny Arceus/Mew QR code is? If they can do the latter, it almost seems like they are the new AR.

Is using the QR code cloning glitch considered hacking, similar to the way that using the shiny Arceus/Mew QR code is? If they can do the latter, it almost seems like they are the new AR.
I'm pretty sure as long as the original data of the Pokemon isn't being altered, it's not a problem here. Though performing the glitch is much harder to do since they patched it a while ago. (it's a system update for the 3DS itself and patches for X/Y/OR/AS IIRC)

I've got a question about Unown. What exactly determines its shape/the character?

Bulbapedia says the following:
"In Generation II, its shape is determined by its individual values; in Generation III, it is determined by its personality value; from Generation IV onward, it is determined by a separate form identifier."

What do they mean by 'separate form identifier'?

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I've got a question about Unown. What exactly determines its shape/the character?

"In Generation II, its shape is determined by its individual values; in Generation III, it is determined by its personality value; from Generation IV onward, it is determined by a separate form identifier."

I'm pretty sure it's literally just a random number generator. Nothing fancy about it :v

But isn't personality value also RNG'd?
I think Bulbapedia just means to say that, from gen 4 onwards, Unown's shape is determined independently of anything else about it (unlike in prior generations, where its shape was determined by IVs or personality value).

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler

As Mulan indicated, I believe the "separate form identifier" refers to the fact that an Unown's shape is not determined solely by its IVs or PID, as it was in gens previous to Gen 4. Rather, it is determined by a different means. (And yes, the PID is determined by calls to the RNG)

I have not yet found conclusive evidence, but Ask_me_about_birds did some prelim research and suggested that the encounter slots have a bearing on the shape. That research is not conclusive enough to say "here's how you get the shape," but a more-knowledgeable user than myself may be able to chime in on that :)

edit: It appears that form is determined by a "formes byte".

Last edited:
What is the best way to spend my orbs on the Dream Radar? What should I buy first, and how many level-ups and support items should I have before I try to catch the Therians? Also, if I fail to capture a legendary, will I have another chance?

Last edited:
What is the best way to spend my orbs on the Dream Radar? What should I buy first, and how many level-ups and support items should I have before I try to catch the Therians? Also, if I fail to capture a legendary, will I have another chance?
If you fail to catch a legendary I believe you have another chance if I recall correctly.

Power up the scope first. (maximum number of clouds available at one time. Makes using the pay 5 Play Coins to refill the clouds available to its maximum up to three times a day INCREDIBLY useful) Then the beam strength and pack (increased time) in whatever order. All three support items can be handy, but you don't necessarily need any of them to catch any legendary. If you fail to catch a legendary within the time limit, you can try again right away. (the extensions don't go away until you've caught them, though you might need to pay a small fee of orbs each time IIRC)

Power up the scope first. (maximum number of clouds available at one time. Makes using the pay 5 Play Coins to refill the clouds available to its maximum up to three times a day INCREDIBLY useful) Then the beam strength and pack (increased time) in whatever order. All three support items can be handy, but you don't necessarily need any of them to catch any legendary. If you fail to catch a legendary within the time limit, you can try again right away. (the extensions don't go away until you've caught them, though you might need to pay a small fee of orbs each time IIRC)
Thanks! What level would you recommend I be at on each of beam/pack/scope before I try for Tornadus?

Whatever level you can tolerate waiting to build up orbs to purchase the upgrades for, at least level 2 for the beam and pack. Each starts at 100 orbs to upgrade to level 2 and 1500 orbs for the max level. Fortunately, Eureka Extension Alpha/Beta/Gamma unlock once you've earned the total minimum number of orbs required and you've cleared the previous one. (spending orbs doesn't affect when you get the extensions) After Landorus is captured, the gen 4 box legendary Pokemon become available by having their game in the 3DS cartridge slot. I don't have experience in RNG'ing anything from Dream Radar, so while the legendary Pokemon don't count towards how many Pokemon and different items can be held before needing to send to B2/W2, it may be easier to send everything you've got before catching Tornadus and then try sending it to your game alone to RNG. I hear it's very helpful to have backups of both games prior to sending/receiving it in case you mess up, as they can only be sent once a game and received once a game. (I don't know if the latter is per save file or per cartridge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)