Unpopular opinions

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I like Tierno :/
And there's nothing wrong with that. The purpose of this thread is to let you express your opinion without getting hated on.

Personally I'm just apathetic about him. There aren't really any characters in Pokemon I outright despise in the first place.

Edit: Actually yeah there is, Zinnia. But hating her isn't anything new either.

Trevor's the one I dislike. Mostly, he didn't really do anything except constantly tell you that you have more Pokemon caught than him. Tierno has a uniqueness to him. Shauna is the most developed one with her inferiority complex. Serena/Calem is just there to be a "true" rival. Trevor you barely heard of and you only fought him once. It's like why?

Also, I already said that I'm fine with Zinnia... I'm one of the few that did.

I thought Zinnia was okay, but I only went through the Delta Episode because I thought this, "Is... is there a romance between Brandon and May?" and carefully watched the end-scene at the meteor shower. Zinnia was kinda strange though, because her relationship with her Whismur is unclear. My friends at school actually think that Whismur is her daughter or mother who was turned to a Pokemon.

I thought Zinnia was okay, but I only went through the Delta Episode because I thought this, "Is... is there a romance between Brandon and May?" and carefully watched the end-scene at the meteor shower. Zinnia was kinda strange though, because her relationship with her Whismur is unclear. My friends at school actually think that Whismur is her daughter or mother who was turned to a Pokemon.
See, that's what I did too. I started the whole Delta Episode thinking of "Romantic Subplot between Brandon and May?" and that it got sidetracked by saving the world only to come back together at the very end. I played Zinnia no attention outside of acting as both an early antagonistic role and infodumping role (since all infodumping in the game is done via characters) and the fact that, I'll admit, I thought she was cute.

Mega Rayquaza should have never existed.

Not only did Rayquaza receive an unnecessary power boost, but a Primal Rayquaza would make the lore MUCH better, while not being the Game-Breaker the Mega-Ray is.

And one more thing: The Pokemon anime is terrible, with some rare exceptions.
I find myself having a love-hate relationship with the anime. It's not my favorite show and I rather be watching something else, but on the 8 AM time slot on Saturdays and the 7 AM time slot on Sundays (in America that is) there is nothing else to watch so I've come to enjoy it.

I thought this was the UNpopular opinion thread. I don't think anyone denies that M-Ray was a terrible idea.
Even without getting into the obvious game breaker aspects and such, my problem is that it being a Mega rather than a Primal form makes no sense in the lore.

Rayquaza is supposed to be able to now pacify both Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre. But a Mega form requires some kind of bond/action on the part of a human, something Rayquaza can't, and in fact shouldn't count on considering if he needs to intervene with these two.

It also just seems like intentionally OP design to not give Rayquaza an item, especially considering it's an outright plot point that Rayquaza needs the meteorite stone you're carrying in order to Mega Evolve. Could have made it a stone or even the Jade Orb if they had to, because I'm willing to say Mega Rayquaza would've still been OP even WITHOUT an item (Base 180 offenses, 115 speed, and basically none of the downsides of the Flying type in Ubers) all things considered, so at that point it's just overkill on top of a zombie killed twice.

I think the connection part though is supposed to be the Dragon-worshipers bond with Rayquaza, but the fact that it doesn't need an item and is not a primal still doesn't make sense. If you just gave it the meteorite as a mega stone, there, done, no need for this!

I also really don't like how there can be more than one primal used in your team, rather than just one with the megas. Right now it isn't to much of a problem, but when more primals are added at some point (Crossing my fingers for a Gen 4 remake.) people could have an entire team of primals.

I thought this was the UNpopular opinion thread. I don't think anyone denies that M-Ray was a terrible idea.
Huh? Since when?
I mean of course I stumble across the odd person who dislikes the idea of M-Ray - most of them hating the idea of Mega Evolution regardless - but for the most part it seemed well-accepted and loved.

I also never got - and this probably counts as unpopular opinion, and I'm not necessarily replying to anyone who's posted here - why people hated how overpowered M-Ray is. I mean... this was a Pokémon that was already overpowered enough to be banned from every format, official and unofficial, so does it really matter if it gets more powerful? And sure it fucked up Ubers for a while, but who cares? The community recognized it was bad, banned it and created it's own tier for it - competitive communities are more than prepared to deal with anything the game developers throw at them, guys. Hell, since it made Ubers an 'official' meta in Smogon and created AG, most people considered it a blessing. We don't really hate Staraptor or Victini for fucking up UU, so I never got the "too overpowered" argument, especially in regards to a completely unofficial metagame.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I guess I should give some of my "unpopular" opinions.

I hate Staraptor. I really hate it and everything it stands for. From its ear-piercing cry that makes you feel like there is a blade going through your ears for 1.5 seconds to its black crest on its forehead that makes it look as if someone implanted a boomerang into it; it looks really ugly. I hate the concept of it—A suicide bomber bird that has a lifespan of two turns while dealing lots of damage—because while it was innovative (hurr durr a suicide bird has not been done before), it just feels like the design does not really match it; its design suggests just a normal predatory bird and not one that is built to crash into things. I also hate how Game Freak tries to make it as viable as it possibly can, from buffing its Special Defence in the generational shift to giving it a really strong reliable Fighting-type coverage move that does not make it weaker offensively unlike other moves wrt Flying-types, because it is Staraptor. I honestly cannot justify anything else but there is just something else about it that really irks me but I cannot put my finger on it. Blind hate I suppose.

Black and White was honestly the best designed games in the series from a normal in-game standpoint. Scaling experience was a really good mechanic that awarded me for being underleveled and made me feel as if I never had to grind once and even then, I only had to beat up Audino for two minutes. I was really sad when they got rid of it for XY, because it is honestly much better than buffing Exp. Share and a far better way to make people progress through the game without having to grind endlessly. The story properly climaxed at the end of the game which kept me interested into it until the very end as opposed to the typical full resolution of the main plot before Gym 8 and the rest just being ending fatigue, and it was not an excuse plot. The level curve I felt was spot on and really helped with the anti-grinding. Ghetsis was the best villain of the series, because he was in your face half the time and had a really devious plan and his fight was the only really legitimately difficult boss fight unlike the others, and I would say Team Plasma was up there with Team Rocket for the best villainous team imo. N was also a really good character and the development and the backstory behind him and whatnot made him a memorable character that I can relate to.
Speaking of difficulty, the game was legitimately hard by Pokémon standards (which is still easy but at least challenging), especially in the early game and threw Gym Leaders at you that made you have to think (well until the sixth gym anyway).The innovation of challenging the Elite Four in whatever order you please was really pleasing and was a very logical step; no wonder why they kept it for BW2 and XY. The HM trimming was also good, reducing HM Count and making it so you only needed Cut at the start of the game, a very sensible move given the HM creep in DPP. The dex of completely new Pokémon was refreshing and I liked the assortment of Pokémon introduced, as well as the distribution that looks as if Game Freak thought things through (except that Archen destroys the game but that is beside the point), though GF encouraging you to use the monkey for Gym 1 was pretty cheap. My only real complaint is the linearity of it all but when you consider the little amount of backtracking needed (which makes it easy to know what to do next) and the way the story flows, it kinda makes sense, but I wish there was some sort of branching in the story. The postgame was the only thing that really lets it down; it would be probably the best game of the series bar none if not for that.

As for the discussion about the XY characters, all of them, and the story for that matter, sucked. Sycamore was okay but he felt really creepy for some odd reason. Serena/Calem were really flat development wise and boring. Shauna was obnoxious and annoying ("Wow, the Pokémon went INSIDE the ball?!"). Tierno felt like an extra that had no real purpose, was flatter than Serena/Calem, and felt as if it was designed just to make the group of five. Trevor was okay. The Gym Leaders and Elite Four members felt forgettable and not the kind of people you would remember outside of Korrina who was easily the best character of the bunch. Diantha was very forgettable as a Champion and felt really easy compared to other champions. Team Flare felt like some offspring from Team Rocket and Team Galactic motive wise and the admins were forgettable. Lysandre was easily the worst villain of the series. He was like a bastardised version of Cyrus in terms of his monologuing and weirdness and Ghetsis was better in the insanity department, a try-hard if you may. It was as if Game Freak tried to make someone who could trump Ghetsis and came up short. The only real positives about him are that he does not start out as being hostile towards you and that robot suit at the end was cool looking I suppose. The worst part of XY is the fact that Xerneas/Yveltal were just giant space fleas from nowhere, you had no mention of them prior to their appearance and it was as if they were just tacked on just so you could have something to steamroll Lysandre with. Really lazy. All of them, combined with the OMG MEGA EVOLUTION GG GAME feel really spoiled what could have been a really good game imo.

Gen I and Gen II are overrated. Do not get me wrong, the games were good, but they are treated as if they were the best games ever when they honestly are not. RBY was a severe case of early installment weirdness with bugs and whatnot that makes it pale in comparison to later games, though the innovation at the time and addictive nature that got me to play it in the first place was really good and so I guess it is justified to the sense, but the issue is that the games did not age well imo and people keep making them out to be better than they really are. Lets not forget those Pokémon that were stuck with three level up moves until like level 40... GSC is like the FFVII of Pokémon: Everyone seems to like it but more because of the fact that many players grew up with it and do not care about the downsides it has. Do not get me wrong, they are one of the best games in the series and the innovations in the game really made it better, but the games have issues. The level curve was horrendous. The postgame was bland and lacking, devoid of difficulty and no real story; I really would have loved to see more Team Rocket antics. The starter balance was bad with an easy/easy/hard balance really discouraging the use of Chikorita where every gym leader owns it. There are a few other things that I cannot get off the top of my head though, but the point is that the games, while good, are overrated.

I liked Mega Rayquaza tbh. A unique way of mega evolving for the item holding mega was personally well done and I really liked how Game Freak decided to hold nothing back and decide to create the best Pokémon in the game which alongside the Primals, was a refreshing change from the usual fare of "balanced legends" that they were creating for several years. I applaud them for that, even though it sent our Ubers tier to shit lol. They just capture the essence of legendary Pokémon being absurdly powerful again and I cannot wait to see what they do with Zygarde in the next game (if there is one) if they decide to do anything to it.

I guess that is enough for me now, all this took a couple of hours to write and think and this post is getting tl;dr enough already hahaha.

I like Mega Rayquaza, I just wish it had a Mega Stone. I just feel the two balancing elements to the concept of Mega Evolution (1 per battle, required item) where thrown out the window just because they are used in VGC. That's what angers me. Especially since this is the same company that took Regigigas, a legendary, and crippled it with one of the worst abilities ever made.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So I've been out for a while to think of some unpopular opinions, and here's something.

So onto a few. I felt Pokemon X and Y were...disappointing to me. They aren't bad games at all when it comes to video games, and they are for sure some of the better 3DS games out there along with ORAS, NSMB 2, and Super Mario 3D Land. But in all honesty, I really felt X and Y just aren't everything they could be. Now undoubtedly, X and Y brought a lot of really neat stuff. The new Mega Evolutions are awesome, the new 3D entry of Pokemon felt so magical, and it really shows how Pokemon can be in the future: better. But when I played my Pokemon Y, I just felt like something was missing from there. I love the journey in a Pokemon game, I love battling, and I love exploring. But that storyline was so messy and incohesive to me. I can kind of get it, and in my eyes, the XY story has a lot of potential to be good. But the way it is now, it's very messy and just flat out confusing to me. Like what is the relationship between Diantha, Sycamore, and Lysandre? I would love to learn more about that. Diantha has a lot of potential, but it's wasted mostly. Same with Lysandre. He's like another Cyrus, which is awesome, but honestly, I need to know: how did he develop a grudge against humanity? We have a backstory with Cyrus, so one for Lysandre would be awesome too. And how did he acquire Xerneas/Yveltal? The AZ backstory from the ancient Kalos war needs some clearing up too. Like how did AZ power the ultimate weapon? How could he used it to revive his Floette and make himself immortal? How did he use it to kill everyone? (The story hints that he used the powers of Xerneas and Yveltal, and ORAS hints at this too, but it's never really stated). Team Flare is a bit like Team Galactic in that the Grunts are essentially blind idiots who follow a man who seeks to remold the world in his own image. I also want to see how Lysandre aims to kill everyone yet keep his own team alive: Xerneas or Yveltal alone wouldn't be able to do both. The post-game story was also lame, the Looker quest was fun while it lasted, but beyond that, the post-game didn't offer much besides a Battle Maison, which while cool, wasn't good enough for me.

As far as the other characters, I agree with It's_A_Random that they were pretty bland. Shauna was annoying as fuck, and she had unneccesary romance moments in there, and Tierno and Serena/Calem just felt too wasted. As far as the battles, the Elite Four and Champion were disappointing. I know Pokemon is a pretty easy game, but these were not only not very hard, but also just very non-memorable. The Champion's battle didn't have that same feel of specialty that I feel in other battles. She has a pseudo-legendary and a Mega Pokemon: and the lone presence of Goodra and Mega Gardevoir in her team should've proven to be intimidating and threatening to my team. But they weren't...Goodra and Mega Gardevoir have the potential to threaten the hell out of my team but no...they weren't a remote threat. I was always mortally terrified of facing Salamence, Metagross, and Hydreigon in my childhood, but for some reason, Diantha's Goodra and Megavoir didn't give that same fright that Drake's Salamence, Steven's Metagross, and Ghetsis/Iris's Hydreigon gave in older games of mine.

In all honesty, these games feel a bit to me like Diamond and Pearl. Obviously X and Y are not the worst Pokemon games ever, as Diamond and Pearl themselves hold that honor, but XY and DP are alike in the sense that the games just feel so incomplete and not everything that they have the potential to be. Yes, basically, X and Y feel like incomplete games to me. I guess what they do share in common on the positive end is that both games buffed a lot of shitty mons either via cross-gen evos (DP) or Mega evos (XY) and that's a good thing: and they add new features and the games as a whole showed a lot of promise with Pokemon's future as a franchise. With all that said, because of all the things I have with X and Y, I would actually really prefer to have a third version for X and Y, and I'd rather see a Pokemon Z rather than sequels here. I loved BW2, and I felt sequels were very suitable for Black and White considering the storyline, and BW2 were neat games. But X and Y just don't seem really slated for sequels to me: the plot is incredibly messy and incohesive, the E4 and Champion need a lot of working in their teams to be at least a challenge, and Xerneas and Yveltal need a lot of working with their lore: it's obvious they're involved with the ultimate weapon: heck, it's also kind of obvious that like Dialga/Palkia and Groudon/Kyogre, the deer and bird clearly have a role in the origins of the Pokemon world. Oh and what about that ugly Z shaped snake? What the hell does it do and how is it related to Xerneas and Yveltal? There's so much that needs some clearing up with these games that I feel they're not suited to have sequels, and a third version would really be more suitable here.

That's all for now I guess, I'll think of more unpopular opinions...later!

Zygarde really does deserve some justice. It's supposed to be the trio master I think, keeping Xerneas and Yveltal in balance, but it really doesn't do anything. The design could of been done better (A koi fits to me for some reason, but they could of done a snake in a different way.) and maybe a different typing. Really it has no information in the story. You might even ignore it completely if you didn't know it actually existed in a cave thanks to your Pokedex book or a friend. Zygarde's only purpose to me is so they can have X Y Z, and so at some point they have a mascot Pokemon for Pokemon Z. Also, it really doesn't look like a Z.
Totally a Z.

Also, I love little romantic moments too. I get so happy in books, and in games too. I think it was done super well with Brandon and May in the Delta Episode. Shauna's just didn't seem to have been handled that well.

I.... kind of see? With Xerneas and Yveltal it's easier to tell though, Yveltal practically screams the letter Y and Xerneas you can tell pretty easily from a front view.

Its_A_Random I highly agree with you in regards to BW and the first two Gens. BW was genuinely challenging, and I loved it; I don't know why the hell I sold it to a close friend. The first one especially has its early installment weirdness, such as a broken Psychic typing. Not sure about the second gen, but I've heard things about it.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Really it has no information in the story. You might even ignore it completely if you didn't know it actually existed in a cave thanks to your Pokedex book or a friend.
I didn't even know Zygarde existed until I was done with the main narrative of X/Y, and was surfing around on Serebii to finish collecting mega stones. The fact that Zygarde's essentially a worse Garchomp doesn't help it either.

As for Gen II, I liked the games overall, but they're littered with a lot of balance problems, especially with the level curve. The fact that Johto (and its Pokemon) were basically extensions to Kanto never sat well with me either, though it kinda made sense at this point in the franchise's history.

While we're on the subject of G/S, Gen II is actually my favorite set of games in the series from a graphical standpoint. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I loved how the overworld looked, and the Pokemon sprites were colorful and overall pleasing to look at.

Last edited:
Most people are content to say the Anime's only awful these days, or even just after gen 1 or 2, but honestly... the worst thing the anime done in my opinion was in the first episode.
Ho-oh's appearance. It annoys the fuck out of me.
Now not necessarily the episode itself; the way it does it is fine. It's more the fact that it's never brought up again. I mean... okay, there's that one scene in the Pokémon Center in the next episode (or was it the episode after? idk) where Ash tells Oak about it, but beyond that nothing. Come on, this is the thing that inspired Ash to be a trainer, and not only was it a Pokémon we'd never seen before, it was a Legendary we'd never seen before. You'd think they'd make some arc out of it; but when they get to Ecruteak in Gen 2... I think Ash might have mentioned it? But nothing else. It's so annoying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)