(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

How much backtracking you have to do in Hoenn.
  • At the start, you have to go to Rustboro, beat the gym, to the Rusturf Tunnel, all the way back to Route 104, and down to Dewford.
  • Going from Mauville all the way to Fallarbor, only to have to come all the way back to Route 112 to get to the cable car.
  • Fifth gym? Try going all the way back from Lavaridge Town to Petalburg, where you can't do any grinding because the wild Pokémon are all at level 2.
  • Team Magma/Aqua? Try going to Mt. Pyre, up to Lilycove, all the way back to Slateport, and back to Lilycove.

You know what really Grinds my Gears?

(Yes, I know, that's a horrible joke.)

Move incompatibility. Maybe I want a Lightning Rod Raichu with Surf (not that it achieves much in the way of coverage). And wouldn't some of us just love a Defog Poison Heal Gliscor, or a PerishTrap Sap Sipper Azumarill? But no. All of these things are, respectively: event, Gen IV HM, and Gen IV HM (Whirlpool), with Hidden Abilities. And because GameFreak won't let us use Ability Capsules to flip between standard and Hidden abilities, these wonderful ideas are forever stuck in the land of Hackmons (where even better possibilities arise).

How much backtracking you have to do in Hoenn.
  • At the start, you have to go to Rustboro, beat the gym, to the Rusturf Tunnel, all the way back to Route 104, and down to Dewford.
  • Going from Mauville all the way to Fallarbor, only to have to come all the way back to Route 112 to get to the cable car.
  • Fifth gym? Try going all the way back from Lavaridge Town to Petalburg, where you can't do any grinding because the wild Pokémon are all at level 2.
  • Team Magma/Aqua? Try going to Mt. Pyre, up to Lilycove, all the way back to Slateport, and back to Lilycove.
To get back to Petalburg I'm quite sure your rival asks if you want to go to Petalburg with them after Flannery, allowing you to skip the long travel. They included this feature some other places to, I just can't remember if it is any of the other things you mentioned.

It happens two times. Once with May/Brandon after the 4th gym, once with Timmy after the 5th gym. Both happens in ORAS, but not in RSE

The fact that Grassy Terrain, Electric Terrain and Misty Terrain don't have abilities that activate them.
They have pretty damn interesting effects but it's not worth using them as moves due to said uses not being worth sacrificing a move slot. If they were abilities - ie activated immediately like drizzle for rain - they'd be really interesting.
Also why is Misty Terrain, the move that reduces the power of Dragon moves, predominantly learned by Pokémon immune to dragon ?_?
This also kind of applies to Trick Room too; I wish there was an ability for it but at least it's good without it.

Last edited:
The fact that Grassy Terrain, Electric Terrain and Misty Terrain don't have abilities that activate them.
They have pretty damn interesting effects but it's not worth using them as moves due to said uses not being worth sacrificing an ability slot. If they were abilities - ie activated immediately like drizzle for rain - they'd be really interesting.
Also why is Misty Terrain, the move that reduces the power of Dragon moves, predominantly learned by Pokémon immune to dragon ?_?
This also kind of applies to Trick Room too; I wish there was an ability for it but at least it's good without it.
Double Battles. Though I think even then it'll be best if there were abilities for it.

Okay so two in one day but my friend's playing a black 2 randomizer and his starter's huge power victini (LOL) so I got reminded of this

Why doesn't Victini learn V-create by level up
I mean no really, what? It's an event-only move for it? ... you're only ever going to get Victini through event anyway (aside from that liberty ticket in BW) and it's not like Victini's ever going to be given out without V-create, so what's the point? It's so very clearly created for Victini and it just makes absolutely no sense. I get it for Rayquaza, since that's a one-time event move that's so unusual for it to get and lol it learning it naturally, but what is actually the point of Victini not getting V-create by level-up?

Okay so two in one day but my friend's playing a black 2 randomizer and his starter's huge power victini (LOL) so I got reminded of this

Why doesn't Victini learn V-create by level up
I mean no really, what? It's an event-only move for it? ... you're only ever going to get Victini through event anyway (aside from that liberty ticket in BW) and it's not like Victini's ever going to be given out without V-create, so what's the point? It's so very clearly created for Victini and it just makes absolutely no sense. I get it for Rayquaza, since that's a one-time event move that's so unusual for it to get and lol it learning it naturally, but what is actually the point of Victini not getting V-create by level-up?
While maybe not Level up, I share the annoyance that Victini only has V-Create immediately from event distribution. Not even like it's breedable.

At the very least, make it some event move like Secret Sword or Relic Song. It's obviously a move that's supposed to be associated specifically with Victini: like, Signature moves obviously fit flavorwise (Sacred Fire on Ho-oh), but V-Create is a move so specifically based on Victini, especially compared to its other signature move Searing Shot, that there's no reason it should be possible to have a Victini who can't get V-Create onto it somehow. Heck, the Liberty Island thing in B2W2 seemed like a way to add V-Create onto a Victini.

The thing about 6th gen that really bugs me is that it is overly easy compared to previous gens. The new exp share is beyond broken, and even if I turn it off, my pokemon become too easily overleveled. Compared to basically every other gen (at least 4 and back, I didn't play 5) gen 6 is just too easy. Every single gym leader I faced had lower level pokemon than at least half of mine. GSC and HGSS come to mind when I think of a decently hard pokemon game. I mean miltank was a monster and I recall actually having to grind before the pokemon league. Huge difference compared to now.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
To get back to Petalburg I'm quite sure your rival asks if you want to go to Petalburg with them after Flannery, allowing you to skip the long travel. They included this feature some other places to, I just can't remember if it is any of the other things you mentioned.
It happens two times. Once with May/Brandon after the 4th gym, once with Timmy after the 5th gym. Both happens in ORAS, but not in RSE
Do not forget the Meteor Falls -> Fallarbor Town -> Mauville City travel skip w/ Brendan/May just before you take on Mt. Chimney so make that three.
The thing about 6th gen that really bugs me is that it is overly easy compared to previous gens. The new exp share is beyond broken, and even if I turn it off, my pokemon become too easily overleveled. Compared to basically every other gen (at least 4 and back, I didn't play 5) gen 6 is just too easy. Every single gym leader I faced had lower level pokemon than at least half of mine. GSC and HGSS come to mind when I think of a decently hard pokemon game. I mean miltank was a monster and I recall actually having to grind before the pokemon league. Huge difference compared to now.
Depends on how you play it. I mean idk, if you beat every trainer and keep Exp. Share on, of course you are going to be over-leveled. If you beat all trainers with it off, I do not really see my Pokémon being overleveled, heck add grinding into the mix (Assuming at least four members). Beating only mandatory trainers and the occasional optional trainer with it on will generally see you on par with the other team, if not under-leveled I have been finding. What I find that makes the modern games too easy is more or less due to mega evolutions and the game's tendency to hand them to you on a plate. Exhibit A: Mega Lucario in X & Y.
I've never played ORAS, but I heard it's easier, if not on the same level on XY. While playing X I would always outlevel the gym leaders by like 20 levels, and that's without EXP share. Idk what's wrong with GameFreak these days.

And if you like grinding or at least a bit of difficult I'd say Gen 5 is among the "hardest" pokemon games. The level and EXP curve in those games forced you to grind for much longer to level up things, and the EXP share wasn't even that broken because of these mechanics. The gym leaders actually had reasonable levels and pokemon for battles, I remember Iris/Drayden was reasonably difficult. The E4 postgame levels were also among the highest of all pokemon games. Ghestis was actually hard cuz of his OP Hydreigon, and N wasn't too bad either. BW was my first game and I honestly thought it was difficult, despite being familiar with the mechanics and such. B2W2 also have the "choose your difficulty" modes. HGSS is also apparently pretty hard.

Seriously though, Idk why GF decided to make pokemon easier. Whether it's to get people more involved with competitive battling or to appeal to their "target audience" of 8 year old boys (rofl), I just don't know.
See above for first point. For the second point, I agree that BW and BW2 are fairly difficult by Pokémon standards and most of it but I do not entirely agree with the grinding statement. The games used scaling experience where you gain more Exp. at lower levels as an "anti-grinding" attempt, an attempt I thought was well done to an extent and even if you need to grind, all you need to do is run until you find a shaking spot and then boom Audino and a crapton of EXP. I mean, with a four mon all trainers run on BW you probably only need to grind against maybe Lenora (though this depends on your team). Even on a six mon run you do not need to grind that much, especially when you get a Lucky Egg. I mean the grinding in those games is so much less tedious than DPPtHGSS who all possess horrendous level curves, the flat EXP formula, and no Lucky Egg to help improve your speed unless you are really lucky to get a Lucky Egg from a Chansey. For the last point, it would probably be more or less that Game Freak is understanding that the main appeal of the game is to fight each other with your Pokémon so they have made it so that getting through the main story is as easy as possible to reduce the hinderance of people that just want to play VGC or Battle Spot or whatever. Also so ten year olds can easily get through it I suppose.

I find myself keeping track of enemy/wild Pokemon levels to counter overleveling. When I play I'll make a quick note of the highest leveled Pokemon I encountered, and once all of my team reaches that level, it's time to either catch something new or swap something out for a boxed Pokemon.

Though I try not to spoil myself too much, I look at the most powerful Pokemon on the team that I'm going to face next and raise my team up so that way it's JUST as powerful as that. Afterwards I try to avoid any other fight. Early XY was the worst for it since I would keep remembering the Pokemon I need for my team AFTER I pass the area with them so I would have to spend my time going back, catching them, and releveling them.

Didn't we already complain about the Gen VI Exp. Share? I still don't understand this one and here are my reasons (likely again):
1) Pokémon's already really easy, especially since all of us are above the age of 13 and many of us have been playing since we were really little. And Pokémon's always been a game where it isn't will you beat it, but when you beat it since you can always over level, whether you have the Exp. Share or not.
2) Grinding sucks. It isn't difficult, just time consuming, and it is why I don't like many JRPGs. It takes forever to grind to get to a decent level to fight bosses. It took me so long reach a decent level to beat one boss in Final Fantasy III (DS) that I actually forgot what the hell was happening in the game! That isn't good!
3) It has made making teams in the post game way easier. I can EV train four Pokémon at once the way I do it and five if you use something like Teddiursa. And I can quickly level up a team as well. Don't make the post game harder.
4) You can turn it off. Why is anyone complaining when the thing they are complaining about is purely optional? If you don't like it, just turn it off.

EDIT: 900 posts!

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but if you nickname your Pokemon, and the first character is a lower case 'y', it looks extremely ugly. Try it out, and be disgusted.

All things considered, I prefer a game with a low level curve to a high one.

In most RPG's I'm usually minimizing battles to keep my pace going, so unless I'm doing it intentionally, it's hard for me to get overleveled solely on mandatory battles. Having to grind for a high level opponent just brings the pace to a screeching halt, and having to grind so much for the levels of Cynthia's team is one reason I don't replay Gen 4 very much.

It takes less effort to make a low level curve harder than to make a high level curve easier (ergo avoiding battles vs seeking out more to grind).

With that said, Gen 4 is an annoyance to me since it seemed like they wanted to make the battles harder. While I wouldn't mind this, it usually took the form of jacking some levels up, such as Cynthia's ~60 varied Type team after Volkner's ~50 Electric team, where I could make up a level difference with a type advantage. They also gave the Elite 4 Pokemon that were just annoyingly resilient without their specific Kryptonite such as Bertha's Hippowdon, Lucian's Bronzong, and Cynthia's Spiritomb + Milotic. They just took longer to beat without posing much danger to your team.

I mean, Cynthia's team presents a decent enough threat for the Pokemon themselves, but the level jump (and perfect IVs) necessitated a lot of grinding to be ready for her: and god help you if you were a kid like me who saved after every Elite 4 battle.

I've been taking advantage of the ease of leveling up to train more than six Pokémon. For example, it was pretty easy to train both the Beldum that I had breed in Y, and also raise the Shiny Event Beldum as well.

I trained a Goomy, an Axew, and a Noibat in my Y run, for another example. I even managed to train a Jolteon just for my challenge run for the Elite Four.

If you're overleveling, I'd suggest finding something new to add to your training roster, and take advantage of the providence of EXP.

That's what I did in Black and White. I had a team of about 10 or so guys rotating in and out because I happened to love a lot of the Pokemon in Unova.
That's what I did each time I freshly picked up a game. Not wanting to spoil myself too much, I just go and grab some that looked the most interesting so I had about 8 - 10 mons rotating in the first playthrough of any region

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Now I'm going to really try and catch up! I'll do them by pages:

Also something I've thought about recently is why not change methods or levels of evolution between games? I know this is minor but uh... well, look at the title of the thread. I don't think this'd really annoy anyone unless the evolution method specifically ties into what the Pokémon is (ie Piloswine calling back to it's historical roots with Ancient Power to become Mamoswine), but I think a lot of people would love their Rufflet or Pawniard to evolve at a level below like 50, which is quite frankly ridiculous. This does actually tie into Gen 5's evolution levels for the most part because a lot of those were just downright stupid and pointlessly high.
Agreed. While at first I can understand why they wanted to introduce new ways to evolve a Pokemon (basically to explain why a certain Pokemon couldn't evolve to a newly added evolution, though even then there were slip ups), by now I don't think anyone cares since its pretty obvious they're not afraid to do retcons. It's no longer a point to keep continuity, especially when remakes add in the new evolutions. In addition some Pokemon nowadays evolve at a way too high level for what you're going to get in the end (as you pointed out with some of the Gen 6 Pokemon). Only the pseudo Legendaries should have very high levels.

The infinite loop in ORAS.

I know this sound strange and could very well be a minor nitpick, with all the effort they've put into competitive battling in gen6, but that loop to help you hatch eggs just plain out annoys me. They put everything in the same place, day-care center, IV guy, infinite loop...

But the thing that the loop isn't in circle like in X/Y just irritates me. The problem is that that, save for the few occasions in which an egg hatches while you're turning a corner, the loop breaks. That forces you to get back to a corner and start up the up botton loop all over again for every single egg. That is particularly annoying if you're like me: you don't particularly mind to go back and forth to get the 5 eggs, but afterwards you expect to hatch eggs the easiest way possible. In X/Y, I used to get the eggs, fly to Lumiose, block the circle pad left or right, do something else like lifting or studying and press B a couple of times every egg hatches.

In ORAS, I have to interrupt myself every single time to get the loop going again. I don't know if I missed something about it that let it go on perpetually, but the X/Y mechanic was far better imho.
And the oddest thing is that every corner the camera does change angle so you'd think when it changes angle it'll also change your direction. Actually what they should have done was make the treadmills in Brawly's Gym work. :P

The plan of the evil team which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I dunno about you people but when I play a game, I try to pay attention to the story lines to try and enjoy it more. Not so with Pokemon because of the evil team.

Rockets: The only one that makes sense because they are out to make money. Quite simple. Exactly why they want the Master Ball is never explained though. Oh, and why is cutting off the tail of Slowpoke considered evil when they grow back and people eat it (that's like saying taking milk for breakfast is evil because you milk it from a cow)? Also, exactly how they plan to achieve in Lake of Rage is unexplained. Making the Magikarp evolve is fine but they get slaughtered by Gyarados (proven when Gyara is Lv30 and you can wipe the floor with them if you use it).

Magma and Aqua: Lol. I don't think I need to say why this doesn't make sense.

Galactic: Erm, catch Lake Trio -> form Red Chain -> Capture mascot legendary -> ???? -> Profit!!!
Not to mention a lot of the grunts just plainly don't know what they are doing and follow orders blindly.

Plasma: So, using Pokemon to fight is bad. Let's spread this propaganda by becoming the Champion by winning in Pokemon battles!
OK, turns out that Ghetsis has his own plans but the fact that NPCs buy into this is weird.

Flare: OK, my Pokemon died in a war so to take revenge, I must fire the legendary weapon to kill off all of humanity. Exactly how he plans to profit from this is anyone's guess.
Rocket: Plans make sense and is the most simple: exploit Pokemon to make as much money as possible. That said the grunts are reckless in their behavior and don't fully think things through, but some of the plans aren't bad on paper but in practice might be more of a hassle then its worth. As for the activities you mentioned, the Master Ball can catch ANY Pokemon. If Team Rocket can replicate and reproduce it there would be no Pokemon they couldn't capture and they'd be able to sell Master Balls for a bundle. And while Slowpoke do grow their tails back its probably still painful to them (as soon as the message gets to their brain) and who knows how careful the Rocket grunts are, they could cause permanent injury from recklessness. Lake of Rage was an evolution experiment, their goal wasn't to get the Gyarados in the lake but to perfect their evolution signal. Once it was perfected they would have left and it'll be the people living around the Lake of Rage's problem.

Magma & Aqua: Yeah, their plans are pretty stupid. Yes Team Magma, increase the landmass by evaporating the water, it's not like living things need water to survive. Yes Team Aqua, increase the waters for the sake of all Pokemon, it's not like there are Pokemon who primarily live on land or are weak to water... Did anyone really think these plans through. Now to be fair I suspect they just wanted to make a world that's primarily their "element" and not cover the entire planet with it (like if Team Magma's plan worked there would still be lakes, ponds, rivers, streams, etc., there just wouldn't be large bodies of water like oceans and seas. Team Aqua are probably envisioning a world like One Peace, a world mostly covered by water while islands dotted all over the place). But even then that plan is still nuts and surprise surprise, when you screw with the natural order you cause the end of the world. That said even the "heroes" didn't have that great a plan either, looking at you Zinnia.

Galactic: Galactic's plan was to start everything over with them in charge, but it's revealed that Cyrus only plans on making himself god while everyone else emotionless shells (hmm, thinking about it that sort of sounds like Zanza's plans in Xenoblade Chronicles). Cyrus hates emotions due to his parents neglecting him and preferring machines over people and decided it would be best if everyone was a emotionless and purely logical being (in other words he wanted people to be like Vulcans), with him in charge of course. Obviously due to his traumatic experiences he's not really thinking straight, or is rather thinking TOO straight. He doesn't understand emotions and sees them as something which is holding everything back.

Plasma: Once again this is a front made by Ghetsis. I guess you can sort of say there are two Team Plasma: N's and Ghetsis's. N's Plasma are PETA taken to their logical conclusion. They are extreme animal activists who only see Pokemon being used as free labor, entertainment, or just plain being mistreated. They refuse to see the good parts of human-Pokemon interaction, that it would hurt both groups & the world to separate them, and don't bother to check to see what the Pokemon want. They're kind of the opposite of Team Galactic who where trying to do things purely from logic with little to no emotion, Team Plasma are doing things purely from emotional response with little logic to back them up. Of course this plays right into Ghetsis's Plasma's plan. Ghetsis wants to take over the world and is doing so by trying to get rid of the one thing that's protecting it: Pokemon. Once there are no more Pokemon opposing Ghetsis, Ghetsis and his Team Plasma will take over using their Pokemon. Why Ghetsis wants to take over isn't known but he's a madmen and completely insane so there's possibly no reason except that he can. One second he would want everyone bowing to him and the next he could just want to watch the world burn.

Flare: I think you're confusing AZ with Lysnadre. AZ has nothing to do with Team Flare, he just built the Ultimate Weapon to revive the Pokemon he lost in the war which he then repurposed as a weapon against the participants of the war out of anger and revenge. Lysandre was the one who made Team Flare so they could use the Ultimate Weapon to wipe out all Pokemon and humans not part of Team Flare. Lysandre started out wanting to help people but soon realized no matter how much money he made and how many people he help there will always be someone somewhere suffering. He then got obsessed with the Malthusian catastrophe and how it would cause the deterioration the world's beauty so decided he'll create a team of only "beautiful" people, make themselves immortal, and kill everyone else so there would always be resources for themselves and they can keep the world beautiful. As you can probably tell Lysandre is out of his mind. In addition his obsession with beauty seems to be an outer layer thing as many of the Team Flare members are jerks and/or crazy.

Honestly, many of them weren't going for profit, only Team Rocket. Many were just doing it either because they thought they were helping the world (Magma, Aqua, N's Plasma) or their leaders were insane and just wanted to take over the world (Galactic, Ghetsis's Plasma, Flare). There might be some cross over here and there, but you get my point.

I feel your pain, but I'm gonna have to rebut on a couple of these. The sad truth is that some of the Apricorn balls are kinda outclassed by some of the Gen III ones. In fact, the Lure Ball gets it worst: oh, so you have triple catch rate when fishing? Okay, try this Net Ball that has triple catch rate on ANY Water-type (so you can use it while surfing or on land-based Waters) AND you can use it on Bugs too! Moon Ball: only works on five families (Nidorans, Igglybuff, Cleffa, Skitty), all of which are fairly rare in Gen VI (the Nidos, for example, are only on a single route in Kalos). Love Balls are terribly gimmicky, only working well on something of opposite gender but same species.

I would maybe want to see Fast Balls, but I'm not sure what you can catch in this gen that breaks 100 Speed. Friend Balls would also make friendship-based evolutions much easier to get, so I could see that. But not every Apricorn ball really works at this point in the series.
They can change the effects of the ones which aren't as good.

Level can stay the same.
Lure they can increase its catch rate for when Fishing (5x?).
Moon can add more Pokemon who are associated with the Moon onto who it effects.
Friend is okay though I think making it just easier to increase a Pokemon's friendship would a better effect.
Love can generally stay the same though think they should add some additional effects (like 2x if just opposite gender and 4x if opposite gender and part of same Egg Group).
Heavy can generally stay the same though maybe play with the numbers a bit.
Fast can stay the same though maybe add additional levels of catch rate.

And personally I think they could maybe add a few more colors. We have red, yellow, blue, green, pink, white, and black; where's purple, orange, brown, and grey? :P

But as Vader_the_White said, many people want the Apricorn Pokeballs mainly for matching it with a certain Pokemon.

The Lati@s in ORAS.
Want to have a Lati@s with decent IVs and Nature? Then, welcome to the world of Steven talking and him talking some more. Oh, and now would be the perfect time to give you the Mega Bracelet. Oh, you figured you would rather catch the Lati@s later? Too bad because the game simply won't let you progress until you have a Lati@s to call your own. Hope you enjoyed Soft Resetting and watching cutscenes. *** maniacal laughter ***
Beats the shit with Rayquaza.

"Caught Rayquaza and think he might have good stats? Have fun with the Zinnia battle, 10 minute cutscene and Deoxys battle before you get to the checker. Hope that speed wasn't a 30."
Please GF, just let us save before battling/getting them and a second to check their stats. If you REALLY want it to be part of a cinematic, just give them perfect IVs from the start. They're Legendaries, I don't think anyone will bat an eye at it. We still got to train them anyway to beat least Level 50 if we want to use them competitively.

I've sure that it has already been said before, but there needs to be a better way to find out the exact EVs by using the IV Judge, finding out the hidden power, and then having to feed the Pokémon Rare Candies repeatedly while plugging in the stats into an IV calculator for 20+ levels before you finally get a definitive answer!

Make it happen next Generation, Game Freak, or else!
I say just have the PC tell you, if it can store your Pokemon I think it can also analyze them. :P

Madoka final form looks really like Diancie mega.
Hmm

I don't see it... would a blind person say.

Though to be fair Pokemon did steal Kyubey's design to make Espurr.

Mother
Fucking
"It couldn't be found in this area"
Dexnav
Gets even better when you take a step, get into a battle, and encounter the exact Pokemon you were looking for. "Couldn't be found in this area" my @$$!

It's even worse when you're looking for HA. Just insult to injury.
Oh Slowpoke... Why can't you just pop up with Regenerator? Why must you insist otherwise? ...or pop up in a spot that would require me to jump or get on the Acro Bike and thus scare you off? (an example, but it applies to nearly all Pokemon you want the hidden ability for that aren't in the grass... and sometimes even those)

Talking of finding HAs through the dexnav, I am the slightest bit annoyed they chose Phantump over Pumpkaboo in Petalburg Woods.
Why? Well, because in the Friend Safari, for some reason the only Pumpkaboo that can be found there are Medium - there was also an event which let you get a XL HA Pumpkaboo. So between that, we still can't get Small and Large HA Pumpkaboo and it destroys me as a collector ;;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)